New AMD Ryzen

soarwitheagles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you BP2008! For now, I will stick with my dedicated i7-4770k. I will also keep my eyes and ears open for more data and testing results on the Ryzen.

I have not touched AMD processors since Intel began to kick butt...yet, I just can't shaking the feeling that I keep smelling messy diapers on an Intel fanboy somewhere here in the forum.

Heck, who knows, it is probably just my imagination...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you BP2008! For now, I will stick with my dedicated i7-4770k. I will also keep my eyes and ears open for more data and testing results on the Ryzen.

I have not touched AMD processors since Intel began to kick butt...yet, I just can't shaking the feeling that I keep smelling messy diapers on an Intel fanboy somewhere here in the forum.

Heck, who knows, it is probably just my imagination...
Keep trying to justify your foolish amd purchases
...why would I ever recommend amd if their product is inferior? You are not making any sense...you suffer from an ailment that many here have..
They cannot admit that they made a dumb purchase...this applies to all hardware across the board...

k3v0

n3wb
Reaction score
i just picked up a Ryzen 1700 for a multipurpose machine, one of those purposes being recording our cams. So far recording 6 cams, 3 h264 and 3 MJPEG (3 720p, 3 VGA) direct to disk. Recording all those and connecting with the iOS app and viewing on the desktop I'm under 5% CPU utilization and the CPU isn't even operating at the full 3 GHz. For my use case it's totally adequate.

I'll probably be adding another 2 or 3 cams at 1080p so I'll see how that impacts utilization.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i just picked up a Ryzen 1700 for a multipurpose machine, one of those purposes being recording our cams. So far recording 6 cams, 3 h264 and 3 MJPEG (3 720p, 3 VGA) direct to disk. Recording all those and connecting with the iOS app and viewing on the desktop I'm under 5% CPU utilization and the CPU isn't even operating at the full 3 GHz. For my use case it's totally adequate.

I'll probably be adding another 2 or 3 cams at 1080p so I'll see how that impacts utilization.
Lol...a 4mp load....any old system would work...

k3v0

n3wb
Reaction score
yep overkill for just recording security cams but it will be doing other tasks as well. it's replacing another old machine which can't handle serving multiple plex streams very well, especially when crunching through fresh usenet downloads. i wanted to make sure the machine had enough horsepower for all my use cases plus some future proofing.

Sireone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Good to know k3v0, I'm currently running 7 Dahua cameras (5 @ 720p & 2 @ 1080p) on my AMD FX-8320. Even with no HA, my CPU sits at 17%-20%. I'll also add that this server is running Hyper-V with 4 active VMs and also running Plex & Emby. So I know the Ryzen is a very capable CPU and most users shouldn't have any issues with it running BI.

soarwitheagles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your AMD experiences. I have not purchased a Ryzen yet, but I sure am interested in them.

Anyone else using a Ryzen with Blue Iris? Please post your experiences and speeds so we can get a better idea on well they are doing.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your AMD experiences. I have not purchased a Ryzen yet, but I sure am interested in them.

Anyone else using a Ryzen with Blue Iris? Please post your experiences and speeds so we can get a better idea on well they are doing.

Thanks!
The example with 3 720p camera's is useless...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure it is only a matter of time before someone tries a big camera load on a Ryzen CPU, but the lack of hardware acceleration means it will have a hard time matching an Intel CPU with half the cores.

Kogashuko

n3wb
Reaction score
I was also looking at this. I am currently running BI on a 16 core AMD server CPU. It is an older one running on like 45nm technology. It isnt actually 16 cores I dont think it is based on bulldozer so it is more like 8. Anyway, running 9 cameras it sits right at 15%-20%. I do have a second socket I could throw a second CPU in if I needed to. I have a i7-2600k I have considered swapping out for it since it has quicksync. However, I dont think it really needs it. The only thing I would be looking to do at this point is reduce power usage or a way to scale the system to run up to the advertised 64 cameras. I dont think this is currently possible out of the 4 cores you are limited to with quicksync. We have been asking for cuda or amd support for years now and the developer seems to be ignoring us. I dont think it is too much to ask to let it use a more common place acceleration. Lets face it with the pending CPU war BI is going to be behind the curve because neither the Ryzen 9 or the intel I9 will support quicksync.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was also looking at this. I am currently running BI on a 16 core AMD server CPU. It is an older one running on like 45nm technology. It isnt actually 16 cores I dont think it is based on bulldozer so it is more like 8. Anyway, running 9 cameras it sits right at 15%-20%. I do have a second socket I could throw a second CPU in if I needed to. I have a i7-2600k I have considered swapping out for it since it has quicksync. However, I dont think it really needs it. The only thing I would be looking to do at this point is reduce power usage or a way to scale the system to run up to the advertised 64 cameras. I dont think this is currently possible out of the 4 cores you are limited to with quicksync. We have been asking for cuda or amd support for years now and the developer seems to be ignoring us. I dont think it is too much to ask to let it use a more common place acceleration. Lets face it with the pending CPU war BI is going to be behind the curve because neither the Ryzen 9 or the intel I9 will support quicksync.
Intel HD with quicksync is most common...if you don't think it's too much to ask then ask...or buy another VMS....no one cares about amd

Kogashuko

n3wb
Reaction score
Its not just AMD quicksync is not supported on a single Intel processor with more than 4 cores. No one past a home user will take a system seriously that advertises 64 cameras if there is no server hardware that can run it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its not just AMD quicksync is not supported on a single Intel processor with more than 4 cores. No one past a home user will take a system seriously that advertises 64 cameras if there is no server hardware that can run it.
exactly, blue iris is not competing with avigilon/exacq...hell even milestone only supports intel HA...understand that blue iris is developed by a single person, how many folks do you think the others are using to write code? its 60 vs 100 PER camera...so if you need 64 4mp cameras recording at 20fps, look at another solution...
for 99.999999 percent of BI users modern intel processors with quicksync are ideal...most small businesses dont need 64 cameras...if you are installing 64 cams that is not something you want to use blue iris for...

Kogashuko

n3wb
Reaction score
I find it funny the amount of time spent to justify not adding a feature could have been used to add the feature.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it funny the amount of time spent to justify not adding a feature could have been used to add the feature.
yes it takes 5 minuets to add it..he refuses to do 5 minuets of work...so in protest go buy another vms..you dont understand what it takes to implement this...let us know what other vms you find that supports the functions you want at this price point, I would be glad to move over....if you are installing blue iris in a commercial setting with 64 cameras you dont know what you are doing...

Kogashuko

n3wb
Reaction score
I found a very interesting vms a few months ago that supports nvidia hardware acceleration. It was fairly priced but I havnt moved over to it because I keep adding more cameras to my rig and the CPU % stays about the same. I have an old intel 2600k that supports quicksync that I am considering putting together with an old SSD as a test rig. I also have a newer laptop with I think a 4000 series i7 but it has a busted monitor (probably perfect for a energy efficent small nvr.) I could hook them up and just mirror the settings from all three and see what the load actually is. I am thinking quicksync might not do as much as you would think if running direct to disk but who knows. I just have to get time to set it up. I gave another power supply exactly like the one in my current AMD rig for the 2600k. I obviously am restricted to the laptop supply for that one.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I found a very interesting vms a few months ago that supports nvidia hardware acceleration. It was fairly priced but I havnt moved over to it because I keep adding more cameras to my rig and the CPU % stays about the same. I have an old intel 2600k that supports quicksync that I am considering putting together with an old SSD as a test rig. I also have a newer laptop with I think a 4000 series i7 but it has a busted monitor (probably perfect for a energy efficent small nvr.) I could hook them up and just mirror the settings from all three and see what the load actually is. I am thinking quicksync might not do as much as you would think if running direct to disk but who knows. I just have to get time to set it up. I gave another power supply exactly like the one in my current AMD rig for the 2600k. I obviously am restricted to the laptop supply for that one.
Quicksync does a TON when running direct to disk..in fact, it drops cpu consumption by 30-50 percent...let us know how that other vms works out for you, or even what its name is??

Kogashuko

n3wb
Reaction score
I have to look again at the name as I was unimpressed. It supposedly had nvidia support but after setting up a VM running it I wasnt impressed. It ran a lot like zoneminder. I might try again with a physical machine with a nvidia card but after fighting the other battle detailed in my other post I dont know that I care that much about that. I could run this on 10 1u servers and still spend less on electricity than I would on licensing. I guess this would be a wish list item along with client software that would combine multiple servers into a latout. The client software would probably be more doable and more realistic. I will keep you all updated. At some point after the first of the year I am going to build a new server. A kill-a-watt or two is a must. It will be interesting.

Everything being equal I would probably still be better off with 1u low ghz, low tdu, high core servers and offset the cost with solar than using GPUs if the license cost is going to be prohibitive.

Vaggeto

n3wb
Reaction score
As someone interested in using a portion of the 16 1950x Threadripper cores for BI in a virtualized environment, I would love for AMD VCE support to be added. (No equipment is purchased now)

Using the flawed logic that "because something is better currently, means nothing else should be done to make another product even better than the current one" is ridiculous. It really feels like someone doing that while accusing others of neededing to justify a purchase they haven't even made yet is actually the person much more worried about "justifying" their purchase even at the expense of just straight pushing people away rather than discussing possible solutions that improve a product.

Maybe with the limited information on Ryzen/threadripper can be used as an excuse for being completely unhelpful and rude, but I doubt it. Maybe for a random internet troll, but not a staff member.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As someone interested in using a portion of the 16 1950x Threadripper cores for BI in a virtualized environment, I would love for AMD VCE support to be added. (No equipment is purchased now)

Using the flawed logic that "because something is better currently, means nothing else should be done to make another product even better than the current one" is ridiculous. It really feels like someone doing that while accusing others of neededing to justify a purchase they haven't even made yet is actually the person much more worried about "justifying" their purchase even at the expense of just straight pushing people away rather than discussing possible solutions that improve a product.

Maybe with the limited information on Ryzen/threadripper can be used as an excuse for being completely unhelpful and rude, but I doubt it. Maybe for a random internet troll, but not a staff member.
Reading comprehension is not your strong point....why to do feel the need to misrepresent what was stated? I never said that nothing should be done to make the product better. I EXPLAINED why the developer is does not have adding nvidia acceleration as a priority. You simply cant grasp that basic nuance.
I am very well aware of ryzen and its features. Its not ideal for blue iris and should not be used.
Any vms should be run on bare metal. End of story.
Pray tell how your discussion on how to improve this product will have ANY impact. The developer does not read this forum. Seems that you didnt have the time to email support and ask? hmmmm...idiot like the rest of these folks who bitch and moan on here, but fail to ask the developer for the feature and see what his response is....is that too difficult a task for you?
Now, instead of telling me how to run my forum, why dont you fuck off and go build your VM and complain of performance issues.
Welcome to the ranks of VMS newbie amateurs who think they know best.

Last edited: