New build for 4K cameras. i9-9900K?

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not record on HDD and use SSD only for system and database? Is there any difference in user experience?
HDDs suppose to be perfect for streaming and continuous write/read. SSD have no advantage for streaming.
Things are much faster when reading and writing the video from an SSD or NVMe drive. The videos populate almost instantly. While things are noticeable slower if I did that from a platter drive. Plus SSDs are so cheap now.

mrc545

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mrc545 Your CPU load seems pretty high in both reports.

This strikes me as too high. My i7-8700K (6 cores) only runs at 20% with a 1000 MP/s load (BI in service mode with console closed) and this is without any Nvidia hardware acceleration, and several cameras not even fully tuned for CPU efficiency (not all of them use direct to disk and hardware acceleration!). When I open the GUI full-screened on a 4K monitor (fed by Nvidia card) CPU usage only goes up to 45%.

By all rights your i9-9900K should have been processing only about 20% more video than my CPU, and the 33% increase in core count should more than make up for it.

While that is an improvement, it is still far from what I would expect to see. Why aren't you using Intel decoding on all the cams anyway? Nvidia's decoding is horribly inefficient in terms of energy used.

One thought, maybe Windows is underclocking your CPU for some reason and playing with the Power Options would reveal the true load. My 8th gen CPU for example regularly bounces between 4.3 and 4.4 GHz but maybe yours is running far below that.
Apologies for the brainfart. I have the dedicated BI PC in the other room (trips the circuit breaker in my office room so I had to relocate it and think of another solution) and have a Windows Remote Desktop session up (unrestricted, but displaying at 20FPS). That is about 12% CPU overhead, which I was including in my CPU usage previously (and this was full screen GUI). I guess I need to read up on Intel decoding. I thought it used more processing power that way, and was trying to offload that to the GPU. I needed a beefy video card for 4k encoding over RDP, so I figured I'd take advantage of the GPU's decoding availability, that was previously unused.

Power settings are set to max (8 cores at 4.7GHz). I tried playing with MCE, but at 5GHz on all 8 cores it was way too hot.

It's also worth verifying your 9900K's GPU is in fact enabled. In Task Manager, are you seeing both your RTX and your Intel UHD GPUs, like the attached screenshot? If not, dive into your UEFI menus and set your integrated GPU to Enabled. My Gigabyte was on AUTO which resulted in my Intel GPU being disabled, preventing any benefit from QuickSync.

The screenshot shows a 9900K plus a GTX1660 with about 1100MP/sec, all direct to disc, console open at 1920 x 1200, displaying all the cameras and running motion detection on just a couple of them. I circled the jump in CPU usage when switching from Fast to Bicubic for the display scaling. If you need to optimize something, making sure it's set for Fast display scaling in Settings > Other is a good one.
I have the onboard graphics intentionally disabled. It wasn't playing nice with my RDP settings when I enabled hardware encoding in group policy editor since I had the other video card in there.

Reaction score
Update on my setup.
BI 5 running od Dell OptiPlex 3060 with 8GB single channel 2400 RAM, SATA M.2 SSD and HGST 3 TB HDD. All cameras are Hikvision 4MP or 8MP. H.265+ capable. Total 32MP with 15fps gives 490-500 MP/s and 450-1100kB/s. Quality highest. BI running as program, not service. Window minimised.

H.264+ is working with Intel Quick sync acceleration
CPU 33-36%, GPU 38-42%.
Window opened CPU 40-50%.

H.265 or H.265+ is not working with hardware acceleration!
Without acceleration CPU is about 50-55% and GPU 1%. With window opened CPU is 95% and program is slow.

Total recording file size in H.265+ is about half of H.264.

So there is some room for more cameras if I'll use H.264 and hardware acceleration. Without it my system is at maximum. I can choose between having half HDD space saved or 40% less CPU used.

I bought also i9-9900K/Z390 Aorus Master/32GB RAM for my current primary office/game PC and after few years this will be next BI server.

For my next planning cameras I'm seriously considering running two cheaper BI serwers as it seems to be more economical solution than using one more powerful computer. Another idea is trying VM on Unraid for some cameras. Current setup cost me total 350$ hardware and software.

How is it possible hardware acceleration for H.265 in older versions?
4.6.9 - January 31, 2018 H.265 hardware decoding added
What should I do to make it work on my Dell?
Tried H.265, H.265+ with Intel or Intel+VideoPostProc. I can see only one frame or error message. Maybe I should find some particular verson of chipset driver or maybe change some settings in bios?

Last edited:

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How is it possible hardware acceleration for H.265 in older versions?
4.6.9 - January 31, 2018 H.265 hardware decoding added
What should I do to make it work on my Dell?
Tried H.265, H.265+ with Intel or Intel+VideoPostProc. I can see only one frame or error message. Maybe I should find some particular verson of chipset driver or maybe change some settings in bios?
Consider adding a Quadro P620 video card if you see a good price on one. I see them on Ebay starting at about US$115 ~ 430 zloty. They don't consume a lot of power, and I have a few similar Optilex systems at work that have no problem powering the P620, despite the limited power supply in the Optiplex. Here is the nVidia chart showing H265 support: Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix

I'm sure you cannot put all of your cameras on a P620. But maybe you can put a few of them on it where you want H265.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this thread has been dead a while.. im running an i9 9900k and im getting FANTASTIC numbers.. currently have 28 cameras pulling in around 850 MP/s and my CPU usage hovers at around 28% with the console open.. With the console close.. im sitting at 21% and hovering around 51c. I upgraded from an 4790u to this bad boy. I am going to add roughly 10 more cameras over the next week. Should reach to about 1400mp/s..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey @gfaulk09. That sounds great.

Your numbers do seem a little high though. I get about that level of CPU usage with 1100 MP/s on an i7-8700K. You may be missing some optimizations. I know I am. I don't use hardware acceleration on two PTZs because it slightly increased their delay.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know this thread has been dead a while.. im running an i9 9900k and im getting FANTASTIC numbers.. currently have 28 cameras pulling in around 850 MP/s and my CPU usage hovers at around 28% with the console open.. With the console close.. im sitting at 21% and hovering around 51c. I upgraded from an 4790u to this bad boy. I am going to add roughly 10 more cameras over the next week. Should reach to about 1400mp/s..
Hey @gfaulk09. That sounds great.

Your numbers do seem a little high though. I get about that level of CPU usage with 1100 MP/s on an i7-8700K. You may be missing some optimizations. I know I am. I don't use hardware acceleration on two PTZs because it slightly increased their delay.
What are your settings: FPS/Fast scaling? The numbers seem to be good but knowing they are lower on lesser processors wondering what different settings are giving you higher numbers.
Do you have 4K cams.

I used suggested settings for i5-8500- only 4 cams:
4400 kB/s and 300MPs and always get around 36-40% and higher if not using fast scaling.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It’s a new system that I finished building yesterday. All I did was migrate blue iris over.
Most of my cameras are only streaming in at 1080p at 15fps. A couple may be a little higher. No graphic overlays. All direct to disc recording.
What do you all think I should be seeing as far as cpu usage?

Ion Barker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@gfaulk09 - what motherboard / CPU cooler did you use for your build? I am working on a new build to replace my aging i7-2600k box. I want to do a i9-9900K and was looking at some Z390 boards.

Not sure if DDR4-2400 RAM will be good or if I need to step up to 3200?

PS: Nice CPU usage numbers!

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used an A z390 motherboard with a Corsair h150i I believe. It has 3 fans on the radiator. I also have mines inside a server case that has an additional 9 fans in it.. so I have a lot of air flowing thru it as well

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@gfaulk09 - what motherboard / CPU cooler did you use for your build? I am working on a new build to replace my aging i7-2600k box. I want to do a i9-9900K and was looking at some Z390 boards.

Not sure if DDR4-2400 RAM will be good or if I need to step up to 3200?

PS: Nice CPU usage numbers!
How many cameras are you thinking about? Or MP/s ... And I think ram speeds personally isn’t a big factor.

Ion Barker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently have 28 and I looking to add a few more. I should be around that 1200 MP/s but i may lower the FPS on some non essential cameras.

Was thinking the following build

i9-9900k
Not sure if I want to go liquid cooled or a Noctua NH-D15 cooler
Gigabyte Z390 UD or Gaming MB
DDR4- 32GB 8gb x 4 dual channel
Intel M2 SSD - 512 GB
(5) WD Purple 6TB drives
GTX 1050 - I need multiple display outputs

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have 28 and I looking to add a few more. I should be around that 1200 MP/s but i may lower the FPS on some non essential cameras.

Was thinking the following build

i9-9900k
Not sure if I want to go liquid cooled or a Noctua NH-D15 cooler
Gigabyte Z390 UD or Gaming MB
DDR4- 32GB 8gb x 4 dual channel
Intel M2 SSD - 512 GB
(5) WD Purple 6TB drives
GTX 1050 - I need multiple display outputs
I recommend a graphics card. I had a few problems a few weeks after I got everything set up. With cpu spiking. By putting a few on the graphics card. It keeps everything more balanced.

Ion Barker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I recommend a graphics card. I had a few problems a few weeks after I got everything set up. With cpu spiking. By putting a few on the graphics card. It keeps everything more balanced.
Can I have Blue Iris use the quick sync GPU on the i9 CPU and then just use the GTX card to send the video to my 3 external monitors? I read people saying the inter GPU is more efficient that the Nvidia card.

thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can. A BIOS change may be required in order to enable the integrated graphics while a discrete GPU is installed. That setting may be called "IGPU Multi-Mon" or something.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can I have Blue Iris use the quick sync GPU on the i9 CPU and then just use the GTX card to send the video to my 3 external monitors? I read people saying the inter GPU is more efficient that the Nvidia card.

thanks!
Yes, you can. A BIOS change may be required in order to enable the integrated graphics while a discrete GPU is installed. That setting may be called "IGPU Multi-Mon" or something.
yep.. I changed the bios in my machine and set like 8 cameras for the nvidia card to handle

Ion Barker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I think I am going to order up my parts today!

i9-9900K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Elite
EVGA G3 Gold 650w PSU
Corsair 240mm closed loop cooling
MX-4 thermal paste for CPU to Cooler
16GB Hyper-X Fury RAM DDR4-3000
1TB Intel M2
GTX1050 Ti 4gb
Thermaltake V71 full tower case
Win 10 pro
Blue iris 5

(I have my WD 6TB purple HDD's)

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I think I am going to order up my parts today!

i9-9900K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Elite
EVGA G3 Gold 650w PSU
Corsair 240mm closed loop cooling
MX-4 thermal paste for CPU to Cooler
16GB Hyper-X Fury RAM DDR4-3000
1TB Intel M2
GTX1050 Ti 4gb
Thermaltake V71 full tower case
Win 10 pro
Blue iris 5

(I have my WD 6TB purple HDD's)
#beast!
make sure first thing you do ischange the bios to allow both the CPU and GPU to be used at once.
I also would turn on auto reboot after a power failure and even wake on lan.. just in case..

Ion Barker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
#beast!
make sure first thing you do ischange the bios to allow both the CPU and GPU to be used at once.
I also would turn on auto reboot after a power failure and even wake on lan.. just in case..
Thanks for the reminder! Will make a note to do that first!! :D