New CCTV Installation

Jambo5

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have had a read through the wiki and found it really useful, thanks for that. I just have a few questions before I make some purchases.

Currently have an old analogue system installed with 10 camera's each having there own 12V power supply, wired locally, and coax cable ran from the DVR.

Looking at replacing all of them with IP camera's so will be running Cat 5e to 9 of the existing camera's and using a PoE NVR.

The 10th camera has around a 250m coax cable underneath the ground to a camera at the premises entrance. I want this to be an IP camera so I'm looking at using an ethernet over Coax adapter because rewiring with Cat 5e is out the question. Is there another solution to this?

I'm able to buy HikVision equipment through my company, so getting this brand of equipment shouldn't be an issue.

I'd quite like to keep with just one brand for all the cameras.

Was planning on purchasing the following:

10 x DS-2CD2335FWD-I Hikvision 3MP Turret camera's (Varying Focal Lengths)

1x DS-76161NI-K2/16P Hikvision 16CH NVR

I'm aware quite a lot of the forum is a big fan of Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, I see from other threads that they have pretty similar performance, does that extra 1MP in the HikVision make that much of a difference? I also presume that the Dahua Starlight will be a lot more versatile due to the varifocal.

Can anyone recommend the equivalent in a Dahua system?

I'd quite like to just keep with an NVR rather than setting up BlueIris.

Does anyone recommend a UK Dahua distributor who works with businesses not involved in the CCTV trade?

I'll be looking at adding additional camera's to the premises as time goes by because after reading the cliff notes, it's obvious that there are flaws in the system which could prevent a positive identification of a suspect in the event of an incident.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know a few installers that use Cop Security | Home for their Dahua installs.

The 2335’s are cracking cams especially in low level light so a great choice. If there is an important area you need covering in daytime, the likes of the 2385 with its higher MP can be a bonus in some installations I have seen but not great at night.

Jambo5

n3wb
Reaction score
I know a few installers that use Cop Security | Home for their Dahua installs.

The 2335’s are cracking cams especially in low level light so a great choice. If there is an important area you need covering in daytime, the likes of the 2385 with its higher MP can be a bonus in some installations I have seen but not great at night.
Hi Defcon,

I’ve just went and signed up for Cop Security, so will see what they come back with.

I’m ready to bite the bullet on getting the 2335’s and as you say, they are really good at night which is when I think anything is more likely to occur. My only concern is that they are not varifocal, so it may come to a situation where the system might not be at its best due to the restriction on the lens sizes. Yeah the 2385 is an interesting one, I had a look at that and I think it would be ideal if used in an overlapping setting with a 2335 perhaps?

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you get a response from Cop? What’s the pricing structure like with their cams?

Jambo5

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope, not heard a peep.

Have decided to go for Hikvision, with various models including the 2335 and 2385, that I’ll slowly implement over the course of the next 2 weeks.

Due to the system being installed at a business I couldn’t justify spending the extra on a full Dahua system because I won’t be able to claim the VAT back or get the same amount of support as I would going through a Hikvision authorised distributor.

Got an order for DS-7616NI-I2 8tb and 1 x 2335 4mm. Also got a new veracity IP PoE over coax converter off of eBay for £80, so saved about £220 from new on that.

Going to test out the NVR and camera, for the premises entrance, when they arrive on Monday. If all goes well then I’ll order the rest of the cameras. Unfortunately having issues sourcing 6mm 2335’s in the U.K. and I’m looking at a lead time of 8-12 weeks if I order through a U.K. distributor. So I may just order 4mm’s and change the lenses to 6mm myself...

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure why but I could never source a 6mm 2335 in the UK. They are available at Aliexpress but any supplier I contacted in the UK said they couldn’t get it.