New computer needed for Blue Iris

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fenderman Do you foresee any issues getting a warranty claim if purchased off eBay? Just curious...
I am not sure about HP, but with Dell you will be fine. I bought one, had some issues and Dell sent out people to fix it. The first time they installed a new motherboard. The second time another new motherboard and a power supply. No questions asked. Basically got most of a new computer at no additional cost.

Dingus

n3wb
Reaction score
It's $400 cheaper than new, but on Dell outlet you can get a 5040 with a 256GB SSD for $10 more.
Dell Factory Outlet

Not sure what the warranty is on the Dell outlet model is.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's $400 cheaper than new, but on Dell outlet you can get a 5040 with a 256GB SSD for $10 more.
Dell Factory Outlet

Not sure what the warranty is on the Dell outlet model is.
the i5-6500 systems are normally purchased for 300 or so. for 400-500 we get i7-6700..start reading the threads...
also the sff has limited space...you will have to move the ssd and try to squeeze it somewhere...read the threads discussing these systems.

JoelJ

n3wb
Reaction score
No worries, they come up all the time!
Just make sure you get the SFF or tower no ultra slim as they cant hold a 3.5 drive
the i5-6500 systems are normally purchased for 300 or so. for 400-500 we get i7-6700..start reading the threads...
also the sff has limited space...you will have to move the ssd and try to squeeze it somewhere...read the threads discussing these systems.
I have been reading the threads, but I guess I'm just trying to piece together all the specs that everyone is listing. One of the first systems you recommend in this thread has a hard disk drive, but elsewhere I see that SDD is the way to go to run BI, and use a HDD for recording. I read through this (Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk) post, which was helpful, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the hard drive options.

Is it easiest just to check all the boxes on eBay and save the search so it notifies me when something new comes along? I've got i5-6th gen, Win10, SFF or Tower, 8GB Memory, 3.2GHz all checked. Whenever I check back, I don't ever see anything for less than $450. Maybe they are just bought up too quickly when they are decently priced?

tacocat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Experts,

Is there a big difference between the HP ProDesk G2 600 and HP EliteDesk G2 800 SFFs? Would the ProDesk suffice?

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just searched for dell optiplex 3040 i5 and kept searching. Not seeing much now, but a good deal right now is around $350 ... thats what I paid 1 month ago. Perhaps this is a good deal, but they are charging a lot for shipping (mine was free, $25 seems reasonable). Don't worry if it doesn't say warranty in the title or description, just get the service tag number from the seller and check the warranty on the Dell website - easy. If you are in no rush I would wait and keep looking, deals come and go all the time.

I have been reading the threads, but I guess I'm just trying to piece together all the specs that everyone is listing. One of the first systems you recommend in this thread has a hard disk drive, but elsewhere I see that SDD is the way to go to run BI, and use a HDD for recording. I read through this (Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk) post, which was helpful, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the hard drive options.

Is it easiest just to check all the boxes on eBay and save the search so it notifies me when something new comes along? I've got i5-6th gen, Win10, SFF or Tower, 8GB Memory, 3.2GHz all checked. Whenever I check back, I don't ever see anything for less than $450. Maybe they are just bought up too quickly when they are decently priced?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

JoelJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are a few, just verify them with the seller:

Or if you aren't in a rush wait for around $350 with free shipping.
The first and third ones don't have Windows 10 installed. What does it mean on the second one where it says Windows 10 "Sealed"? Also, I'd like to make sure I have at least 8GB. But thanks for the suggestions. I have a search saved on eBay that's updating me when new items pop up that meet most of my criteria. Hopefully nothing slips through the cracks.

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about having Windows 10 installed. Dell will let you download and install Windows 10 on their computers (as long as they were shipped with it - and I think all 3040s did... someone can correct me if I am wrong). I downloaded Windows 10 from the Dell website, put in a new hard drive and installed Windows 10 without a problem. Get the service tag number from the seller and check: Support | Dell US. Also see Reset or reinstall Windows 10 on your Dell computer | Dell US about reinstalling Windows 10. As far as I am aware Windows is tied to the computer via the bios.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about having Windows 10 installed. Dell will let you download and install Windows 10 on their computers (as long as they were shipped with it - and I think all 3040s did... someone can correct me if I am wrong). I downloaded Windows 10 from the Dell website, put in a new hard drive and installed Windows 10 without a problem. Get the service tag number from the seller and check: Support | Dell US. Also see Reset or reinstall Windows 10 on your Dell computer | Dell US about reinstalling Windows 10. As far as I am aware Windows is tied to the computer via the bios.
windows 10 should always be installed using the microsoft media creation tool...no extra crap and no workarounds needed to install the latest intel drivers.

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's not ideal...you want a clean install...dells is not...
If you spend the effort might as well do it right
Mine was as clean as I have ever seen a Windows install be (although I haven't used Windows in years - Ubuntu for me). Either works, was an easy process.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine was as clean as I have ever seen a Windows install be (although I haven't used Windows in years - Ubuntu for me). Either works, was an easy process.
dells will cause issues when trying to update to newest drivers. It has dell tools and other nonsense on it...makes no sense to use the dell image, when MS releases a clean one.