New computer needed for Blue Iris

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
dells will cause issues when trying to update to newest drivers. It has dell tools and other nonsense on it...makes no sense to use the dell image, when MS releases a clean one.
I don't know what to tell you - mine didn't come with any Dell tools installed and I haven't had any issues. Either way, JoelJ doesn't need to worry about not having Windows 10 installed on a computer he gets off Ebay.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you - mine didn't come with any Dell tools installed and I haven't had any issues. Either way, JoelJ doesn't need to worry about not having Windows 10 installed on a computer he gets off Ebay.
there is always dell specific drivers and some dell software on dell images...they are likely outdated..my point was simply that if someone is installing windows 10 they should get the image from microsoft, its free, simple and will be 100 percent absolutely clean.

Delay

n3wb
Reaction score
I picked up an Alienware i5 4430 8gb 3.0 GHz 64 bit Windows 10 Desktop tower for $150. Will this be a good computer for Blue Iris only software? My plan is at least 8 cameras and possibly up to 12 if needed later. Thanks in advance

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I picked up an Alienware i5 4430 8gb 3.0 GHz 64 bit Windows 10 Desktop tower for $150. Will this be a good computer for Blue Iris only software? My plan is at least 8 cameras and possibly up to 12 if needed later. Thanks in advance
I'd be curious to see how it goes. I have a generation older I7 (3770) that's continuously recording seven cameras (15 MP @ 110 FPS) and it hovers between 10-15% CPU (with all cameras recording direct-to-disc and H.264 hardware acceleration enabled).

Delay

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see how it goes. I have a generation older I7 (3770) that's continuously recording seven cameras (15 MP @ 110 FPS) and it hovers between 10-15% CPU (with all cameras recording direct-to-disc and H.264 hardware acceleration enabled).
I know absolutely nothing about what is good or bad in a computer. Lol. The person I bought it from said it was about 2 yrs old so I figured it would suffice just for a camera system. I will post my results once I get it up and running. I hope it does fine. Thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about what is good or bad in a computer. Lol. The person I bought it from said it was about 2 yrs old so I figured it would suffice just for a camera system. I will post my results once I get it up and running. I hope it does fine. Thanks
In regards to configuring Blue Iris, if you haven't already seen this, it's a great guide:
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

JoelJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Experts,

Is there a big difference between the HP ProDesk G2 600 and HP EliteDesk G2 800 SFFs? Would the ProDesk suffice?
@tacocat , did you ever get an answer to this question?

This one just came up this morning on my search. HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF i5 6th Gen 3.20Ghz 8Gb Ram-DDR4, 128-SSD + 2 TB HDD Win 10 | eBay

i5-6500
3.2GHz
8GB Ram
128GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Windows 10 Pro installed.

This seems to be checking all the boxes. It's not $300 which was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I haven't seen anything with these specs come close to that price on eBay. Also, with an SSD already included, I wouldn't have to add anything to this to get up and running, correct? So to me, that's worth something.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been looking for weeks but can't find a tower that would have room for 3 hdd. I need an i7 also. I am not using it for BI though. I already have that one. I am just striking out everywhere I look, at least for a decent price like fenderman says we should get. I can find things for $1000 or more but nothing cheaper than that.

JoelJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been looking for weeks but can't find a tower that would have room for 3 hdd. I need an i7 also. I am not using it for BI though. I already have that one. I am just striking out everywhere I look, at least for a decent price like fenderman says we should get. I can find things for $1000 or more but nothing cheaper than that.
I'm not sure if you've found what you're looking for yet, but I know it took me a while to find my computer. Eventually I just saved a search on eBay with all the specs I wanted/needed, and just checked it every morning until the one I got popped up. I never did find that $300 computer @fenderman talks about, but I feel like I got a good deal and the seller was very easy to work with. Just stay patient and the right one will come along.

JoelJ

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you save a search on ebay? I have never done that before. Thanks.
Assuming you have an eBay account and are signed in, just do your normal search. On the left side you should be able to click all the check-boxes for the criteria you require. There should be a little green plus sign that pops up above the search results and says "Follow This Search". If you click that, it will save that search to your eBay feed, and each time you log in you can easily check for any new listings. Hope that helps.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I have had an account for many years, I just don't use ebay much anymore because their prices have gone crazy and most of the time more expensive than buying new.
That was actually pretty easy. Thanks.

Last edited:

kriskross

n3wb
Reaction score
I see elsewhere on the forum where zip ties have been used too. From @looney2ns photo above, it looks like computer screws into the side mount points, maybe I can dig some up somewhere...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see elsewhere on the forum where zip ties have been used too. From @looney2ns photo above, it looks like computer screws into the side mount points, maybe I can dig some up somewhere...
Hardware store may have them.

I used two screws on one side of the HD, then put a rubber bumper on the side door that rest's on the HD when it is normally installed. That holds the other side of the drive down.

Zip ties would work also.