New firmware for AU NVR (DS-7608NI-I2/8P)

rcheli32

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed the firmware update and now it doesn't like my username/password combination!?!?!? WTF?

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Updated 7608NI/I2-8P to v4.51.007 (dated 18/08/2021). No issues to report. By the incremental change in version number looks to be a minor bug-fix release.

allypally

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I previously downloaded firmware from the global site for my NVR 7608NI which bricked it. Had to get a service agent to fix. I was told at the time that overseas downloads were not compatible with the Aussie hardware, and to only download from Hikvision AU, which incidentally appears to be well behind the times with updates.

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@allypally that's what Hikvision Australia will tell their customers to avoid having to provide support for newer firmware releases. AFAIK it's not true. Except for the China region vs World Region products that were available on Aliexpress and other sites you can load firmware sourced from any of Hikvsion's download portals or web sites.

I've personally loaded firmware sourced from the EU portal, the Netherlands Portal, UK Portal, Russian FTP site and Australia site on a variety of devices (both IP Cams and NVR) sourced from both China and authorised Australian distributors.

I've never had a compatibility issue with any firmware I've used to date. I suspect you had some bad luck. Something went wrong with your particular firmware update. I'm assuming they charged your to fix the unit?

Of course I understand why Hikvision Australia take the position that they will not support products or firmware releases that were not obtained from within Australia otherwise they would be inundated with support requests from customers that have grabbed a firmware from an unknown source and are now having issues. It would be impossible to support products when they have no control over where firmware is sourced or when new bugs are introduced in later firmware releases.

You could try doing a hash compare between the latest Australian firmware and one obtained from the UK portal of the same revision to see if there are any differences.

xebec

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry I dont't see the firmware on the site. Would you be able to upload a zip file here?

btcom

n3wb
Reaction score
I previously downloaded firmware from the global site for my NVR 7608NI which bricked it. Had to get a service agent to fix. I was told at the time that overseas downloads were not compatible with the Aussie hardware, and to only download from Hikvision AU, which incidentally appears to be well behind the times with updates.
Registered just to say we've just had the same issue on ours, even the MXL export/send to Hikvision/get unlock code didn't work. It said password reset success, but still won't accept the new one. :/

The physical login screen now has a dropdown with a huge list of "names" made of empty squares and symbols instead of a username. Tried going down the list with our previous password and the factory default 12345 but still no dice.

Who is the service agent to contact to get it reset and functioning again and what was the cost? We are in Western Australia (Perth) and would like to get this working so we don't have to throw out an expensive unit. We are a retail store and bought ours wholesale from a supplier of our other stuff and use the Hikvision at our own office.

Alternately if there's any way to force another firmware onto it, we'd love to know! Wish Hikvision had their firmware under more control. The page we downloaded it from has been edited since we contacted them and the firmware removed entirely:

DS-7608NI-I2/8P

Most recent capture is April this year showing firmware download (we downloaded it September 29th from this page):
DS-7608NI-I2/8P

allypally

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BTCOM. Problem is that if bricked you cannot get access to the machine to install any version of firmware. When mine happened I called a local CCTV security company who were able to get hold of the utilities to enable the old firmware to be flashed. I think they need to open the box, remove the eprom and flash it, rather than attempt to get to write to it whilst in the box.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they need to open the box, remove the eprom and flash it, rather than attempt to get to write to it whilst in the box.
The fix for this common problem is to connect up to the serial console, via the internal 4-pin connector on the main board.
Via this, the firmware can be re-applied, or the configuration erased, both of which will reset the device to default settings and clear the data that was corrupted during the configuration database conversion due to the update.
It's a pretty straightforward method.

There are quite a few threads on this topic, such as this example :

btcom

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all!

For anyone else that hits this thread I've cobbled together some instructions from other posts:

We finally fixed it (without needing to open the box thankfully):

-Use Hikvision SADP program to confirm that the NVR was on 192.0.0.64 after bad firmware update

-Install Python 2.7.14 (2.7 itself doesn't give the important option to add to PATH during install) from -Use the "scottlamb / hikvision-tftpd" updated TFTP program (needed when firmware is over 32MB as Hikvision one fails to send, just keeps looping) from GitHub - scottlamb/hikvision-tftpd: Unbrick a Hikvision device (NVR or camera) via TFTP
-We are in Australia so we grabbed the firmware from the "en-au" part of the site NOT the global one (I would have gotten this first time if the NVR actually bloody showed up when you typed in the name on the Aus/NZ section firmware search!) DS-7608NI-I2/8P
-Unzip Scotts TFTP code to a c:\ subfolder of your choice e.g. c:\tftp
-Place the digicap.dav file itself in the same folder as Scott's program e.g. c:\tftp
-Edit the properties of your Ethernet adapter and set the IPv4 address to 192.0.0.128, subnet 255.255.255.0 and disable any other network cards (physical or virtual)
-Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder you saved Scott's program e.g. c:\tftp

-Power off NVR
-Run from command prompt: python.exe hikvision_tftpd.py
-It will say "Serving xxxxxxx-byte digicap.dav (Block size...)" and sit there waiting
-Power on NVR and wait for it to update - it will reboot itself and bring up the factory defaulted login screen (connect an LCD to the NVR obviously)

We were close to buying another NVR. Much appreciated everyone.

Big screw you to Hikvision for not baking in compatible upgrade detection to their devices. Support said our only option now was to RMA the box! Laughable that their own TFTP tool cannot send the newer NVR firmware (>32MB), let alone that they don't even mention it exists when you contact support.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for getting there, and providing the helpful instructions for others.

Support said our only option now was to RMA the box!
They should know about this fairly common problem, especially as Hikvision put out a special 'How to update' notice to cover it.

allypally

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The fix for this common problem is to connect up to the serial console, via the internal 4-pin connector on the main board.
Via this, the firmware can be re-applied, or the configuration erased, both of which will reset the device to default settings and clear the data that was corrupted during the configuration database conversion due to the update.
It's a pretty straightforward method.

There are quite a few threads on this topic, such as this example :
So, which version of the firmware did you end up with?