New firmware for IPC-HXX5231XX Released on 201711

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what do u guys think of this firmware? any noticeable improvements?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's not in device config => sytstem? You can do that with the Dahua ConfigTool; I just checked.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so...verdict? did they break anything with this firmware? safe to upgrade my cams?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've installed this on both of my cams here and they're working but I've noticed that the one camera that has a microSD installed has now stopped recording to that and it's no longer listed in the local storage tab.

I've just tried downgrading and the card is no longer there in firmware 16 either - I was on PAL R7 before I believe (March 2017).

Is anyone using this latest firmware with a microSD card that could see if you're having the same problem please?

There's always the chance the card has died but seems strange it would go when the camera was upgraded. I'll pull the camera apart tomorrow and test the card just to see if it is pure coincidence or not.

Last edited:

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK initial testing would indicate the card is ok - it was showing up as all free space when put into Windows and has formatted ok, the new filesystem has survived a few ejections (microSD cards sometimes go into read only mode and revert after a physical eject and insertion cycle) and it's currently running through a full h2testw cycle on the 128GB which will take almost 3 hours.

I ordered another card which is coming today - it's a Toshica Exceria M302 128GB microSD that has been looping full time since last January so it's certainly lasted longer than I expected!

I'll let this complete and then put the card back into the camera and see how it fares.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK the Toshiba card completed the h2testw test with no errors reported.

I've put the card back into the camera and it is not being listed at all under the Settings - Storage - Destination - Local section so I can only assume either the camera magically failed at the time of the upgrade or there is an issue with the latest firmware.

Is anyone here successfully running a microSD card with firmware 16.R or this release (18.R) please?

@EMPIRETECANDY are you aware of any problems with this firmware and microSD storage please?

I've enabled syslog and saw the following event logged which I assume is related.

Code:
Time: Feb 05 11:21:18
IP: 192.168.0.225
Host:
Facility: local6
Priority: info
Tag:
Message: Feb 05 11:21:12 192.168.0.225 "Storage.HotPlug" {    "Action" : "Add",    "BUS" : "MMC",    "Device" : "\/dev\/mmc0",    "LogicNo" : -1,    "Media" : "FLASH",    "PhysicNo" : 0 }
I do not see these Storage.Hotplug events on the 5231 which does not have a microSD installed.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
OK the Toshiba card completed the h2testw test with no errors reported.

I've put the card back into the camera and it is not being listed at all under the Settings - Storage - Destination - Local section so I can only assume either the camera magically failed at the time of the upgrade or there is an issue with the latest firmware.

Is anyone here successfully running a microSD card with firmware 16.R or this release (18.R) please?

@EMPIRETECANDY are you aware of any problems with this firmware and microSD storage please?

I've enabled syslog and saw the following event logged which I assume is related.

Code:
Time: Feb 05 11:21:18
IP: 192.168.0.225
Host:
Facility: local6
Priority: info
Tag:
Message: Feb 05 11:21:12 192.168.0.225 "Storage.HotPlug" {    "Action" : "Add",    "BUS" : "MMC",    "Device" : "\/dev\/mmc0",    "LogicNo" : -1,    "Media" : "FLASH",    "PhysicNo" : 0 }
I do not see these Storage.Hotplug events on the 5231 which does not have a microSD installed.
right now i haven't get any REPORT for this. This happen when you do the updating?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes it did @EMPIRETECANDY - I was on 7.R firmware before from March 2017, it seems that neither 16.R or 18.R are seeing the card.

I've tried setting the camera back to defaults but no change - it just doesn't show the card in the GUI although it seems to know it's there according to those syslog messages.

I'll try a full factory default and setting it up again to see if that changes anything.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK I've done a full factory reset and still no joy - the microSD card isn't detected.

Is anyone here running this firmware with a microSD card successfully please?

Reaction score
OK I've done a full factory reset and still no joy - the microSD card isn't detected.

I would try a different brand of card, like a Samsung or SanDisk. You may have run into a compatibility issue with what types of memory or maybe the controller that is used in the Toshiba card. Just a thought.

goldserve

n3wb
Reaction score
I had SD card issues with this firmware but I was coming from an hikvision camera. I put it in a Mac and formatted to exfat and now it is detected with this firmware version.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had SD card issues with this firmware but I was coming from an hikvision camera. I put it in a Mac and formatted to exfat and now it is detected with this firmware version.
Interesting. I wonder what file system is used when formatted with the camera.

Can you try reformatting the card in the camera GUI and see if works still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

Give me an hour or so, I am installing scanner drivers to scan some documents, once I finish this I will try the firmware on one of my camera that have a SD card in it.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

I updated mine to
2.622.0000000.18.R, Build Date: 2017-11-10

It still see my SD card just fine. I even reformatted using the built in format and it still detect the card and records to it 7/24 without any problem. The card is a Samsung EVO 64G

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would try a different brand of card, like a Samsung or SanDisk. You may have run into a compatibility issue with what types of memory or maybe the controller that is used in the Toshiba card. Just a thought.
It's certainly strange as that same card has worked fine in this camera 24/7 since January 2017.

I've got a new version of the same card so I'll try that.

It was showing as empty when removed from the camera when things initially went wrong, and I'd created a 128GB exFAT partition for testing and it still didn't see that when put back in the camera.

Maybe it's not liking the 128GB cards in this firmware version so I'll have a play with other cards I do have here.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK I've pulled the camera back down - so this is very strange but I've bought another card exactly the same Toshiba 128GB and it sees that in the storage view now along with all the size when it's brand new, but I've formatted it in camera, the camera rebooted and it's disappeared again!

I've got a new Lexar 64GB card somewhere that I'll dig out to see how that behaves.

It suggests an issue with the 128GB cards though - is anyone else running a 128GB (or larger microSD) please?

Just checking the card that went in last time and the camera has formatted it to FAT32.

upload_2018-2-6_9-3-4.png

And just two files in the root:

upload_2018-2-6_9-3-25.png

DVRWorkDirectory contains the serial number of the camera and the other file is all 0s while there is no data on the card.

Last edited:

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've gone back to firmware 16.R and the card is again visible, I've formatted and it's recording again (on the 128GB card).

I'll have to come back to this later to see what format this working card is in but it would definitely suggest issues with firmware 18.R and 128GB microSD cards.