New Home build - Camera locations & models feedback

kevinimf

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
Our new home is getting built and the delivery date is next Summer (June 2020). So, we have an option to put in all the cables we want including CAT6.
We want to get CC cameras installed for continuous monitoring and found this forum. Thank you to all the contributors for your valuable suggestions & advice.

I did read quite a bit and I'm planning to go with BI setup with a i7-8700 PC. I've attached the layout of our new home along with the dimensions.
Our goals -
i) Complete 360 coverage without blind spots
ii) Good night time & daylight resolution
iii) LPR
iv) Audio (two way if possible) is want. Not a must.

Few questions -
a) Is my camera layout / setup in the attached picture, an overkill? Is there lot of overlap?
Is there any improvement I can do with camera placements to reduce the number of camera required?
b) From reading forums looks like Dahua starlight 2MP turret varifocal cameras are highly recommended.
Considering that Dahua is releasing / has released some new 4MP starlight cameras, can you please suggest me what would be the best models to get - considering the distance & coverage in my plot plan?
c) Since the delivery of the home is next summer, is it better to wait till next year to see if there would be any new models worth to wait for?
d) What LPR would be recommend?

Thanks a lot!!
Kevin

Attachments

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When your garage doors are closed, you'll have a blind zone in front of the doors that cam3 won't see. I'd maybe put another cam where LPR cam5 is, pointed back towards the doors and cam3

kevinimf

n3wb
Reaction score
When your garage doors are closed, you'll have a blind zone in front of the doors that cam3 won't see. I'd maybe put another cam where LPR cam5 is, pointed back towards the doors and cam3
Good point. I've added an additional camera '3b' to cover the entrance to both the garages.
Attached is the updated picture.

@EMPIRETECANDY - Can you please provide your feedback and also suggest the best cameras to get for both daytime & low/no light scenarios.
Also, what would be good for LPR?

Can you please send me quotes for these 20 cameras (18 noted in the attached picture & 1 for the basement entrance and other one for inside of basement floor).
Please send me quote for both 2MP Starlight varifocal & 4MP ones.

Thanks,

Attachments

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Good point. I've added an additional camera '3b' to cover the entrance to both the garages.
Attached is the updated picture.

@EMPIRETECANDY - Can you please provide your feedback and also suggest the best cameras to get for both daytime & low/no light scenarios.
Also, what would be good for LPR?

Can you please send me quotes for these 20 cameras (18 noted in the attached picture & 1 for the basement entrance and other one for inside of basement floor).
Please send me quote for both 2MP Starlight varifocal & 4MP ones.

Thanks,
Ummm... That's not how this works.... It's not Andy's Job to design your system for you. You need to specify the cameras, lens, etc. Don't put your project on someone else - take responsibility and pick your cameras then ask him to quote your specific cameras... Also, if you can't specify your own cameras you will never be able to accomplish LPR. PLEASE do yourself a favor and if you are serious, spend the next week or so reading this forum and gaining knowledge to have an semi educated conversation here instead of asking others to do everything for you.

This forum isn't a place for people to just pop in, demand info without doing much work, then disappear to never be seen again...

rajuabju

n3wb
Reaction score
You should email or PM Andy (I usually email) him.

I can tell you that I've been SUPER happy with my combination of HDW5231R-ZE and HFW8331E-Z5E to cover my exterior from all angles, etc (granted my property is a rectangle, so it makes it somewhat easy). 2-way audio was not something I cared about for these camera's, I think they might be able to have an add on speaker (maybe).

One of the #1 things I learned on these forums is to not mount your camera's too high, or all you will see is hair. Mine are at 7' to 8' height, some people like them even lower but I couldnt for various reasons. But do not go higher! Also, run at least TWO Cat5e/Cat6 cables to each location, not just one. If you are building new, now is the time to do it. Honestly, in some locations I wish I had even run 3 cables when I was building new.

I tried a few higher MP camera's. Night vision suffers, and the day time is not SO much better. Maybe a newer model is better than what I got, but cant go wrong with Dahua cams and Blue Iris combo. Make sure you have a nice big HD, I have 10TB for 18 cam's and about to add 2 more cam's, pretty happy with the amount of storage (days) I can keep.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Assuming you're intention is to use PoE to power all of your cameras, make sure your builder uses pure copper cable (not copper-clad aluminum, or CCA for short). It's more expensive, but can handle higher currents, it's less brittle, and you'll find you can make longer runs with less concern about data integrity.

kevinimf

n3wb
Reaction score
You should email or PM Andy (I usually email) him.

I can tell you that I've been SUPER happy with my combination of HDW5231R-ZE and HFW8331E-Z5E to cover my exterior from all angles, etc (granted my property is a rectangle, so it makes it somewhat easy). 2-way audio was not something I cared about for these camera's, I think they might be able to have an add on speaker (maybe).

One of the #1 things I learned on these forums is to not mount your camera's too high, or all you will see is hair. Mine are at 7' to 8' height, some people like them even lower but I couldnt for various reasons. But do not go higher! Also, run at least TWO Cat5e/Cat6 cables to each location, not just one. If you are building new, now is the time to do it. Honestly, in some locations I wish I had even run 3 cables when I was building new.

I tried a few higher MP camera's. Night vision suffers, and the day time is not SO much better. Maybe a newer model is better than what I got, but cant go wrong with Dahua cams and Blue Iris combo. Make sure you have a nice big HD, I have 10TB for 18 cam's and about to add 2 more cam's, pretty happy with the amount of storage (days) I can keep.
Thank you for Model suggestions. Yes, I've read in multiple threads and also in Cliff notes the importance of mounting the cameras b/w 7-10 feet.
Mine would be three story house - Main level, Upper level & Basement. So, technically, the roof soffit would be at around 20 feet. I'm thinking through if setting up the cameras half way (at around 8 feeet) would look odd from aesthetic perspective.

kevinimf

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming you're intention is to use PoE to power all of your cameras, make sure your builder uses pure copper cable (not copper-clad aluminum, or CCA for short). It's more expensive, but can handle higher currents, it's less brittle, and you'll find you can make longer runs with less concern about data integrity.
Yes, I plan to use all Ubiquiti gear (Cloud, Switch & Access points). I would use UniFi Switch - 48 ports Managed(US-48-500W)

Regarding CAT cable, I'm requesting the contractor to use CAT 6A 23 Gauge Pure copper cable. I've even offered to supply the cable myself (from Monoprice).
My builder has contracted this specific company to do all low voltage cabling. I can't get outside contractor or supplies to get them installed.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rajuabju

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for Model suggestions. Yes, I've read in multiple threads and also in Cliff notes the importance of mounting the cameras b/w 7-10 feet.
Mine would be three story house - Main level, Upper level & Basement. So, technically, the roof soffit would be at around 20 feet. I'm thinking through if setting up the cameras half way (at around 8 feeet) would look odd from aesthetic perspective.
My house is also 3 stories... basement, ground floor and 2nd floor. Each floor about 2,000sf of floor area.

Also, I have about a dozen Dahua mini-domes INSIDE the house cause I wanted interior coverage too.

Depending on your exterior material, the camera's will barely be noticed. I have a light stucco color, and white camera's really dont stick out at all. But if you have some other material or a darker finish stucco, then yes, they would be more noticeable.

I have ONE of my exterior camera's at a higher elevation, 10ft roughly because I had no choice in that particular spot... and camera is almost useless for actual facial ID. More for just motion alert, audio, and deterrent.

rajuabju

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I plan to use all Ubiquiti gear (Cloud, Switch & Access points). I would use UniFi Switch - 48 ports Managed(US-48-500W)

Regarding CAT cable, I'm requesting the contractor to use CAT 6A 23 Gauge Pure copper cable. I've even offered to supply the cable myself (from Monoprice).
My builder has contracted this specific company to do all low voltage cabling. I can't get outside contractor or supplies to get them installed.
Your build is sounding more and more like mine. I also have all Ubqiuiti Unifi gear. Its amazing, you will not be disappointed! Being able to monitor it all with the mobile app is so easy.

In my case, Cat 6A was total overkill (and I suspect for you too). Cat6 is more than you will ever reasonably need. But I get the feeling of needing to futureproof. Its more important to run spare Ethernet while the walls are open to any location you can possibly think of maybe needing it for (ie, POE doorbell, hard wire all your Sonos speakers if you are doing that, hardwire any POE powered lighting, etc etc)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kevinimf

n3wb
Reaction score
Since there isn't significant price difference b/w Shielded CAT6 and Shielded CAT6A wanted to use 6A to future proof (CAT 6 is certified for 10G for about 37 meters).
Regarding Audio, I'm not going with Sonos. Want to implement Whole House Audio, so I've asked to run 14/16 gauge speaker wire to the ceiling of all the rooms.
Planning to implement WHA solution with Chromecast audio. Flexible and much cheaper.

Didn't think about POE doorbell, but I'll get a drop there. Don't know what other use cases exists that might need CAT cables in the rooms apart from Office room for the PCs/ Pi (vlan, piHole etc..) / NUC (home automation) and TV locations.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Planning to implement WHA solution with Chromecast audio. Flexible and much cheaper.
If you haven't already done so, check out HTD.com before you limit yourself with a basic Chromecast whole audio system.

Sure, Monoprice has a pretty solid whole house audio system, but at least look at the HTD.com Lync series/setup, really is worth it. One of there biggest feature IMO is the fact you can have 6 sources but then an additional 12 sources - one in each zone, thus you really have 18 sources.

My real life example.
1. FM Station 1
2. FM Station 2
3. XM Satalite Station 1
4. Chromecast
5. Amazon Alexa
6. Open

Room Sources.
1. Living Room
2. Master Bedroom
3. Master Bath
4. Garage
5. Loft
6. Patio
7. Kitchen

I can listen to any source anywhere in the home. So if I don't want any of my 5 main sources, I can turn my living room TV onto the football game on Sunday and play that in everyone if I want. Lot's of cool features and worth the look at the very minimum IMO

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @kevinimf

Looks good, and looks like you've got a lot covered already.

I concur with walrus about the additional camera covering the driveway and garage area.

Also looks like you've got a good handle on cabling ideas ( over cable now while it is easy.. you may want to run an extra conduit from upstairs to downstairs / basement. Also remember to consider any yard runs for cable / electrical needs. ( example mail box - if on the street, I would run a conduit or 2 to it - one for cat6 one for electrical... )

Definitely post some build pictures and share your experiences during the build out to help inspire others. ( i.e. what worked well, what was over looked.. )

kevinimf

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @kevinimf

Looks good, and looks like you've got a lot covered already.

I concur with walrus about the additional camera covering the driveway and garage area.

Also looks like you've got a good handle on cabling ideas ( over cable now while it is easy.. you may want to run an extra conduit from upstairs to downstairs / basement. Also remember to consider any yard runs for cable / electrical needs. ( example mail box - if on the street, I would run a conduit or 2 to it - one for cat6 one for electrical... )

Definitely post some build pictures and share your experiences during the build out to help inspire others. ( i.e. what worked well, what was over looked.. )
Sure will check to see if they can do a yard run for CAT/electric to the mail box. I'm already getting the conduit from upper level to the basement. Currently will keep it empty and only use in future. Will keep the group updated.

kevinimf

n3wb
Reaction score
I wouldn't purchase cameras yet. New one's are being released all the time.
Thanks for the feedback and that's was/is my main concern. I notice new models & reviews in this forum almost every other week and the complex model numbers of Dahua only make it more confusing. Hence I was hoping for some guidance on when & what cameras to purchase.