new house build - about to sheet gyprock/drywall, best option to run cables to view multiple POE feeds on TVs

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a first-time poster here and new to the camera IP world. I am after some advice from you guys on what networking I need to do in order to allow me to connect to my NVR which will sit in the downstairs closet room so i can connect to live feeds from cameras in the upstairs TV room or bedroom.

We are building at the moment and about to sheet the walls in the next week and have access to the wall cavities to run some additional cat6a cables. My main comms cabinet and termination point will live in the downstairs closet and I am looking for a solid solution that will allow me to view local feeds from my 4 or 5 cameras directly from my TV. I have got the builder electrician to run cat6a from camera locations back to the main termination location which sits on the ground floor. After a solution to view feeds from TVs in a secure non-smartphone app way while at home if this is possible.

I would appreciate some recommendations on how i can achieve this.

Some additional info.

Distance from the termination location to TV area would be roughly 15-20 meters.
Rather than using apps to connect and view on smart TV, is there a better way I can do this, HDMI perhaps or do I just run an additional cat6a to the TV location and then somehow connect this to the NVR?
Not sure if there are any devices out there that can connect from a nvr to send a signal to tv???

Note: I haven't got any of the equipment or cameras just yet so open to recommendations, but wanted to have some options for cabling as I still have a chance to run cables etc..

Many thanks.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I consider myself a semi advanced amateur in hardware and complete novice in Blue Iris; but here are my two cents.

A friend of mine was looking to do something similar at his house, his NVR was in the basement and wanted the ability to view cameras both on his first floor Family Room TV, and also his second floor bedroom TV. His house was not in a construction or rehab phase, so running cable would have been both messy and costly.

What I convinced him to do was purchase a Blue Iris license and a cheap computer; the computer was very basic as he records on the NVR and Blue Iris was only for viewing via the local web server. He is now able to view his cameras on any smart TV in the house over Wi-Fi. I have something similar at my house, but with a full fledged, Blue Iris computer; I set the TVs Internet app homepage to the web servers IP address, saved the password, and if I ever need to quickly quickly see what’s going on outside, it only takes two clicks on the TV remote.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a first-time poster here and new to the camera IP world. I am after some advice from you guys on what networking I need to do in order to allow me to connect to my NVR which will sit in the downstairs closet room so i can connect to live feeds from cameras in the upstairs TV room or bedroom.

We are building at the moment and about to sheet the walls in the next week and have access to the wall cavities to run some additional cat6a cables. My main comms cabinet and termination point will live in the downstairs closet and I am looking for a solid solution that will allow me to view local feeds from my 4 or 5 cameras directly from my TV. I have got the builder electrician to run cat6a from camera locations back to the main termination location which sits on the ground floor. After a solution to view feeds from TVs in a secure non-smartphone app way while at home if this is possible.

I would appreciate some recommendations on how i can achieve this.

Some additional info.

Distance from the termination location to TV area would be roughly 15-20 meters.
Rather than using apps to connect and view on smart TV, is there a better way I can do this, HDMI perhaps or do I just run an additional cat6a to the TV location and then somehow connect this to the NVR?
Not sure if there are any devices out there that can connect from a nvr to send a signal to tv???

Note: I haven't got any of the equipment or cameras just yet so open to recommendations, but wanted to have some options for cabling as I still have a chance to run cables etc..

Many thanks.
Hi @camera guy_aus

Run N+1 / N+1+ cables to the fixed locations while the walls are open ..
( i.e. run one extra line / cable more than you expected .. )

update: ( recommended video for ideas .. add cat5e/6+ for your security cameras .. remember not to mount too high .. 6-8 feet high for good results .. )
How To Wire A Smart Home - Top 8 Things for Smart Home Wiring
Tym Smart Home & Home Theater Design

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I did a thing whereby UI3 from Blue Iris,,,,,,,,was broadcast to a TV in the kitchen on a Browser App over Wifi....( which timed out)....I learned later from @bp2008 there is a setting you can toggle so it doesnt go to sleep......
In hindsight I could have typed the NVR address into the TV Web browser but it would not have a mouse to control the menu options.....

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You absolutely can run video (HDMI) over ethernet using the correct converters at each end. However you want to make sure you are using a good quality Cat6a cable (or better) which uses solid copper (not copper clad) wires to ensure reliable video transfers. Sure you can run it on lower quality cable (like cat5e cable), but the distance you can send those signals drops with lower grade cables as well as the reliability. So I would run at least two Cat6a cables (or better) to every potential TV location (regardless if you expect to watch CCTV on it). Home run all of those cables, along with all of your other ethernet and other cables, to a single location where you can put patch panels in. This makes it very easy to run whatever you want out to the TV - regular network/intenet, HDMI signal, etc.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When you have a dedicated cat5e or better network cable, HDBaseT works better than "HDMI over IP" solutions. I use a 4K @ 60hz 4:4:4 HDBaseT solution with 20 year old cat5e in the walls of my house for my own camera viewing PC and it works quite well even though 20 years ago nobody was using cat5e for this much bandwidth.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
For those places that you could not run ethernet cable after the fact.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I consider myself a semi advanced amateur in hardware and complete novice in Blue Iris; but here are my two cents.

A friend of mine was looking to do something similar at his house, his NVR was in the basement and wanted the ability to view cameras both on his first floor Family Room TV, and also his second floor bedroom TV. His house was not in a construction or rehab phase, so running cable would have been both messy and costly.

What I convinced him to do was purchase a Blue Iris license and a cheap computer; the computer was very basic as he records on the NVR and Blue Iris was only for viewing via the local web server. He is now able to view his cameras on any smart TV in the house over Wi-Fi. I have something similar at my house, but with a full fledged, Blue Iris computer; I set the TVs Internet app homepage to the web servers IP address, saved the password, and if I ever need to quickly quickly see what’s going on outside, it only takes two clicks on the TV remote.

What browser is on your TV or are you using a Firestick or Chromecast device. I already know Roku sux with regard to browser availability.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I also have a Samsung smart TV with the same browser but for some reason I see all these error messages flashing. What kind of video and audio encoding do you use? UI3 works fine from a phone, tablet or computer in a Chrome browser.

View attachment 20231104_101122.mp4

rmalbers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OP: Run large dia. Carlon Flexible Conduit inside any wall to outlet boxes at TV/monitor locations so you can pull thru any type of cable you will need, now and in the future.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^ that's the right way to do it. Parents did that on their home over 30 years ago. Paid off as technology has changed.