New house build -- front door camera?

jpoet

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just started the processing of building a house. I want to run conduit to everywhere that it might makes sense to install a security camera. In general, the spots around the parameter seem obvious, except for the front entrance way.

While a doorbell camera would be fine, I have no desire for an intercom. Also, doorbell camera seem to be WiFi instead of wired. I would like an integrated microphone. I am thinking something like the IPC-E3541F-AS-M would be a better way to go. Are there any other mini-dome cameras I should consider?

It seems to me that installing a mini-dome camera flush against the wall above the door would be ideal. Can the IPC-E3541F-AS-M be installed like that, or does it need to be installed against a ceiling?

There will be pillars out in front of the door forming a bit of alcove. Should I run conduit to multiple locations in the front entrance way? Where would you recommend?

TIA for any advice!

jpoet

n3wb
Reaction score
Study this: Cliff Notes
Don't mount any cam that you expect to get a facial ID from higher than 7-8', Lower is better.

See the attached.
So it is better if the camera(s) are mounted to the side of the door. There will be short "side walls" in the entrance way so I could mount a mini-dome to one or both of those walls.

If the IPC-E3541F-AS-M is designed to (only) mount to a ceiling, then it should work flush mounted on a side-wall as well, but with the image rotated 90°?

I will read through your links. Thanks!

jpoet

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua has just released a PoE doorbell camera in their "Villa" line. 5MP. Looks promising but no reviews yet so the jury is still out.
Interesting. I won't need the camera itself for several months. I just am trying to figure where the conduit needs to go for now.

Thank you.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with a doorbell is that it gets mounted to the "brick molding" of the door. That means wiring access is generally through the frame or the double studs immediately next to the frame. To get to that position normally you pull the inside molding on the lockset side of the door, notch the sheetrock and use that as a wiring channel, drilling through the floor plate for the home run back to the network switch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So it is better if the camera(s) are mounted to the side of the door. There will be short "side walls" in the entrance way so I could mount a mini-dome to one or both of those walls.

If the IPC-E3541F-AS-M is designed to (only) mount to a ceiling, then it should work flush mounted on a side-wall as well, but with the image rotated 90°?

I will read through your links. Thanks!
You can mount the camera vertical or horizontal and you simply rotate the lens.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. I won't need the camera itself for several months. I just am trying to figure where the conduit needs to go for now.

Thank you.
Hi @jpoet

I would run conduit to
1) face level by the front door,
2) door bell level
3) 6-7 feet high in a position you can see the package drop zones.

Remember to over cable or conduit while you can.

Feel free to draw out where you think you need cameras on a a diagram of the front of your plans and share in a new thread asking for feedback on your ideas of where to post cameras ..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Reaction score
Hello, this is a great question! In my opinion, I would definitely get a camera for your new house. No matter if you're out at work or on vacation, it's always nice to be able to keep an eye on your house. I highly recommend the IPC-E3541F, this camera has a built-in microphone and speaker, making it great for keeping tabs on what's happening inside and out. Plus, it's got a night-vision feature that is activated by built-in IR lights.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a camera and a ring doorbell pro. I would not do without either. Love the ring doorbell.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to wire the house according to normally accepted practices AND THEN add additional wires for things like cameras, microphones, etc.

In the case of the front door, this means installing low voltage doorbell wiring back to a doorbell power supply. You should then add at least one cat5e cable (two would be better) to the same doorbell location for potential future use by a door station, camera, etc. You should also add at least one other camera location (with another one or two cat5e wires run to it) near the door in addition to the doorbell camera. A single doorbell camera is generally not sufficient for complete CCTV coverage due to the current doorbell camera quality and focal lengths (generally so wide it is a fish eye camera) used in these cameras. You'll want to supplement any doorbell camera with footage from another camera.

Doing it this way will give you a lot of flexibility when it comes to adding cameras. You can stick with the traditional doorbell camera because you'll have the low voltage doorbell wiring. You can also move up to a door station system (or other POE camera) because you have the cat5e cabling too. If you ever want to remove the system and go back to a regular doorbell (perhaps if you ever sell), you can do that as well.

I should also note that if you install this wiring at the time of construction, you don't need to use conduit. Conduit it used when you are not running wires during construction, or at select positions where you think the wiring will need to change over time (perhaps a home theater for example). It will certainly be cheaper (and easier) to run the wire you need during construction than it will be to install empty conduit - and that's not even considering the future wire costs). CCTV cameras don't require extremely fast or high capacity connections. Cate5e wire will be the industry standard for this application for a long time moving forward. I think it is pretty safe to say that you'll never need to run a 10gb connection to a residential CCTV camera.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) the front door needs three cameras, one doorbell camera, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.
2) the garage entrance Needs two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door. for door checkers
3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance
4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.
5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.
6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den
7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.

Reaction score
Dahua has just released a PoE doorbell camera in their "Villa" line. 5MP. Looks promising but no reviews yet so the jury is still out.
5MP? Is this in the VTO lineup or a different model?
Got link? I certainly do not mind my VTO 2202 even though (I believe) it's just 2MP. ** nevermind...Looney linked it **

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have just started the processing of building a house. I want to run conduit to everywhere that it might makes sense to install a security camera. In general, the spots around the parameter seem obvious, except for the front entrance way.

While a doorbell camera would be fine, I have no desire for an intercom. Also, doorbell camera seem to be WiFi instead of wired. I would like an integrated microphone. I am thinking something like the IPC-E3541F-AS-M would be a better way to go. Are there any other mini-dome cameras I should consider?

It seems to me that installing a mini-dome camera flush against the wall above the door would be ideal. Can the IPC-E3541F-AS-M be installed like that, or does it need to be installed against a ceiling?

There will be pillars out in front of the door forming a bit of alcove. Should I run conduit to multiple locations in the front entrance way? Where would you recommend?

TIA for any advice!
I installed that camera on the wall across from my front door.. works out great day and night since I leave the porch light on at night. I have it in corridor mode and positioned so I can see people at the door as well as packages when they are delivered.

Attachments

jpoet

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed that camera on the wall across from my front door.. works out great day and night since I leave the porch light on at night. I have it in corridor mode and positioned so I can see people at the door as well as packages when they are delivered.
That is very helpful. Thank you!