New installation, help me not make mistakes.

GameOgre

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the Q-See 8-Channel 4K UHD NVR with 2TB HD, 4 5MP Cameras with Color Night Vision from the Costco Black Friday deal and I'm going to install the system after Christmas.

Is cat7 worth investing in, or is cat6 still the gold standard?

I'm going to be mounting to soffit, should I get mounts for this or will the included ones work fine?

My router is currently in a different room than where I plan to locate the NVR, is there any drawback to using a bridge to connect to my network wirelessly so I can use remote viewing?

Any other tips, tricks, hints, or suggestions you might offer will be greatly appreciated.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I watched Mrs. Q study for two (2) friggin' months before she bought her high-end loom. Weaving videos, books, forums, web pages...that woman did some s e r i o u s work determining what she needed in order to realize what she wanted to accomplish. She didn't simply purchase something and then blunder forth, as I would have done. We all make mistakes; studying before you purchase is the wisest course of action...

IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

smile-o-meter.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect Q™ was answering your question about ethernet cable standards, but highlighted the wrong text in the response while thinking about the loom.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is not a troll.
You have already made a mistake.You are focusing on MP, which is pure marketing crap. Bullet cameras do not work well, the bugs and spiders just love them. Return it to costco.

You need to Read, study, learn before spending money.

GameOgre

n3wb
Reaction score
That is not a troll.
You have already made a mistake.You are focusing on MP, which is pure marketing crap. Bullet cameras do not work well, the bugs and spiders just love them. Return it to costco.

You need to Read, study, learn before spending money.
Literally none of your assumptions are true. I bought the unit based on the recommendation of someone who is a member here and another site who has a reputation I trust.
You need to learn to be less pretentious, thankfully there is an ignore button.

I suspect Q™ was answering your question about ethernet cable standards, but highlighted the wrong text in the response while thinking about the loom.
That may be so, but I'm posting questions in the sub forums specifically for installation questions and getting sermons instead of answers.
Is that how the forum operates here?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK -
Cat5e will shift 1000Mbps at up to 100m length.
Your average IP camera will transmit around 5Mbps each.
In terms of future-proofing, it's going to be quite some time before even the base-level ethernet standard is no longer fit for purpose.

GameOgre

n3wb
Reaction score
OK -

Cat5e will shift 1000Mbps at up to 100m length.
Your average IP camera will transmit around 5Mbps each.
In terms of future-proofing, it's going to be quite some time before even the base-level ethernet standard is no longer fit for purpose.
Everything I've read, because I did actually research before posting, says that cat5e is "adequate" while cat6 UTP is best.
Nothing I can find mentions cat7, so that's why I asked.

GameOgre

n3wb
Reaction score
But I suppose it depends if the runs in question are dedicated to camera feeds, or other uses beyond CCTV.
Adequate is a bit harsh, implies a limitation that is put up with.
It's rare to find a camera that has other than a 10/100Mbps ethernet interface.
I still have a spool of cat6 from where I ran my network throughout the house and setup my server, so I will just be using that.
I'm still wondering if there will be an issue bridging the NVR wirelessly into my network.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still have a spool of cat6 from where I ran my network throughout the house and setup my server, so I will just be using that.
I'm still wondering if there will be an issue bridging the NVR wirelessly into my network.
Yes, most likely. Avoid wifi if possible.
As suggested, on a real computer study this>>cliff notes.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought the Q-See 8-Channel 4K UHD NVR with 2TB HD, 4 5MP Cameras with Color Night Vision from the Costco Black Friday deal and I'm going to install the system after Christmas.

I'm going to be mounting to soffit, should I get mounts for this or will the included ones work fine?

My router is currently in a different room than where I plan to locate the NVR, is there any drawback to using a bridge to connect to my network wirelessly so I can use remote viewing?

Any other tips, tricks, hints, or suggestions you might offer will be greatly appreciated.
Welcome @GameOgre

You got a nice deal on that kit, and yes there's a few compromises that come with kits, as well as bullets.

Don't worry too much about that right now - you should be able to add a nice dahua OEM 2mp starlight to that kit if you find that you need a better low light camera.

Remember to bench test the kit ASAP, before you get up and start mounting the cameras.

Cat7 - skip it for now, rather pricey for not much of a benefit.

I like to use Bulk Cat6 from monoprice AWG 23 solid copper wires - riser / in-wall rated. Note it is not rated to run it outdoors exposed to UV.

Remember to test your locations, run N+1 cable runs to each location - just in case you want to run an addition camera or external IR illuminator to a location. An external IR illuminator can help reduce issues of spider webs on the camera by allowing you to turn off the IR leds on the camera which will attract bugs, and then spiders ( re turning off the IR leds iirc you should be able to do on the Dahua OEM cameras ).

Those 5MP IP POE cameras should provide a decent compromise between the higher resolution 8MP cameras of the same generation and the 2MP Dahua OEM starlight cameras ( better in low light ). Bullet cameras with the IR leds rings around the lens tend to attract spider more than other form factors - so using external IR illuminators in cases where your cameras will use their IR mode is a good idea to plan for when running cables. ( hence the N+1 idea ). Of course if you have enough ambient light those cameras should be decent in low light compared to the previous generation of imaging sensors in older model cameras.

Remember to mount them low enough to get a good angle on any suspect.

Feel free to share any image captures you get.

If you need a camera by the front door check out the dual lens camera review looney2ns did ( counts as 2 cameras channels on the NVR - really nice for having one of these at eye level by the front door - aim one lens on those walking to the door, aim the other at the package drop off area )
Review-Dahua IPC-MW4231A-E2 Starlight Dual Lens Dashcam

Last edited: