New member - basic system design advice sought

TroyNVie

n3wb
Reaction score
I am a new member of the forum (wow, there is a lot of information here!) and I signed up with a specific intent: product selection and set-up for a security camera system on my garage.

This will ultimately be a DIY system with the help of my brother, who is very technical, albeit inexperienced with camera systems. I have basic to intermediate technical abilities and will likely be the primary user of the system.

Context: monitor in and around a 24' x 24' detached garage at a private residence.

Budget: preferably below $1,600 for all hardware/software

Desires:
- 6 to 8 cameras
- relatively simple functionality
- reliable hardware and software (note I live in NY, which experiences varied weather conditions)

Below are pictures of the structure (aerial shot of the property, front, side, and rear). Suggestions for specific items to purchase (and source for purchases) would be appreciated!

Google Aerial - wArrow.png 80B10580-7A83-4D34-99E8-1B046FCD1E8C.JPG 9CC38C46-60E0-4176-BB38-B8B4961BB8C6.JPG 0AB7DBB6-1D94-440B-B9E0-B4B7F17927FD.JPG

Last edited:

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A few places to start LTS is a good company that US based and has a dist. place in NJ. Contact milkisbad here on the forum for a price catalog. Here are a few threads I followed about their cameras and setups.

HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/lts-2mp-dome-turret-install.14760/

empiretecandy has become a reputable member here through his aliexpress store, http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bI8S3nHq

Stay away from dome cameras unless you are using them indoors. Try to stick with turrets.

Pelco camera tool is a good app to find your field of view with a map.

Are you considering a DVR/NVR or computer with BI?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

This camera is hard to beat at this point in time: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
It is varifocal so you can get the exact view you need. Fantastic night vision.
One camera on each corner of the garage would serve you well. Maybe a another cam on the house that can overview the garage.
Put in an alarm system in the garage, it can be done without much $$. The cameras can tell you what happened, and hopefully who did it.
But an alarm system that is loud, may limit damage/theft.

Use this as well: Camera Calculator / Design Software

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
troyenvie,

Welcome to the foorum.
Here's a thread with general advice. Beginner - I have selected, the camera, what else (DVR, NVR ? etc)

In your case, spend some time to think about your objectives. "Alarm" to detect intrusion is often handled differently than "surveillance" with cameras to record what happened.
Using cameras to provide alarm and security raises the bar. If you choose this fork in the road, I suggest:
- Choose cameras with IVS, especially "cross line" and "intrusion zone". This is vastly superior to Motion Detect, which almost all camera have.
- MD outdoors sucks. False alarms from bugs (when close to the camera), moving shadows, moving shrubery, blowing leaves, etc.
- Choose lenses carefully. Don't fall into the trap of opting for wide angle (to have a big FOV). 2.8mm lens for outdoors is generally a poor choice, the wide FOV make it hard to see detail further away than 5 to 7 feet. Use the camera calculator that Looney2ns suggested.

Consider security devices connected to an NVR, such as a laser line or [PIR + Radar] device. Both provide excellent intruder detection (few false alerts).
Wire the devices to a) cameras with external alarm input or b) to the NVR itself. The NVR can then a) push notifications to you phone, w/ short video clip from the camera closest to the sensor. Of b) send an email to your phone or anyone. Note: Push is far superior than email.
Your garage is square, setting up laser lines of good {PIR + Radar] would give you quick, reliable notification that someone is approaching your garage.

You mentioned simplicity. To me, I'd suggest an NVR over BI on a purpose built computer. Search here for threads were advocates argue with passion for one or the other approach. There was an excellent, in depth debate between Nayr and Fenderman.

You're in NY? Troy by any chance? Yes, cold, snowy winters. Cams mounted under eaves might be best. I visited Albany over many winters...

Fastb

TroyNVie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that has posted so far - very helpful.

My objective is to:

(1) be able to look at my car(s) from my office and gain a sense of peace of mind,
(2) deter intruders, and
(3) be able to better catch an intruder should one present themselves by calling the police immediately and providing them with video footage.

Adding an alarm system of sorts, perhaps related to garage doors, entrance door, and windows, may make sense given the deterent of the alarm itself.

I expect there to be pretty consistent activity outside the garage that I'm not too concerned with detecting. However, anytime there is movement inside the garage, I would want to be alerted.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A glass break sensor or two in the garage plus a motion sensor would be good with all the windows. Cameras probably won't have much deterant effect on a high crack head.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
motion sensors are adequate; if someone comes in through the window the'll trigger it just as quickly and good ones indoors will pretty much never false alarm if installed correctly.. the glass break sensors will trigger in hail storms and fireworks and thunder and other things, plus how do you test that they really work w/out breaking the window or paying for a testing device.

contact switches for entry ways because they are solid and reliable, dont even need em for all windows if a good motion sensor is located on the inside of it, and the MD will work even if window needs to be left open/unsecured for some reason.. anything else is just fluff, next thing to work on is getting smoke detectors wired together and reporting.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used good glass break sensors in a couple of business's for years that had large glass entrys. Never had a false. I used sensors based on other forums advice and experience.

They worked great the couple of times some one broke the door glass out with a large rock. They didn't take anything, so I consider that a success. YMMV

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I can see it picking up someone throwing a brick through a window; but thats far more likely at a business storefront than at home.. whats more likely at home is a kid pitching a baseball at the side of the garage and setting it off w/out actually breaking anything.

Ive got glass break sensors and they false alot more than I had hoped, usually my son playing in back yard and just tapping the window w/something but ive had hail and thunder set em off before, probably not as rigid as heavy duty tempered glass like your store had.. just a flimsy single pane garage window.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe you just have twitchy sensors? Have you tried a few brands?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no I hadn't; just chalked it up to it being a large single pain window without any other layers of glass to buffer minor vibrations.. suppose I could try another they are pretty cheap.. unfortunately mine is at ground level with the cat door in it, so I also have to deal with shock of the pet door being hit at full speed when a dog is chasing em across the yard.. or a dog tail wacking the glass

since garages usually have covered windows (if they dont put a privacy film on em so u can get light) and little traffic motion sensors usually do pretty damn good.. my pet immune bosh tritech goes off every time me or even my son walk out there, but not any cat-activity.. $35 and 100% accuracy in the garage, even when the door is open and Im doing yard work.

Now I have a camera attached to the cat door, so the glass break sensor is even less usefull heh.. anyone going through there better have some big balls.. gotta be an easier way in than through that right below the bedrooms.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are 2 types of glass break sensors. There are various shock type sensors that mount to the glass some of these are simple shock sensors others are more like tuning forks, these can false a lot. They're best used in cross zone setup or unconnected just to scare people off.

There are also acoustic glass break sensors that can cover multiple windows. Some of these are fairly simple filters, others use more advanced filters and dsp. Sometimes there are cheaper models that are less accurate, but other sounds can set these off. Jingling keys, kids toys, dogs barking, power tools all have potential to set these off. It depends heavily on how they're installed and your environment.