New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Chuck T

n3wb
Reaction score
Various ways, i actually have a VLAN setup that drops all WAN traffic. You could also put these devices outside the dhcp range and setup up firewall rules.
Thanks for the reply.
My DHCP is set to 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199 so I set a the DB to a static address of 192.168.0.99. Then reset the door bell and it linked up.
Now if I turn off WiFi on my phone I still get the live feed over 4G. That tells me it's still on the network and getting off to the cloud.

I was actually surprised I could get the feed without WiFi.

I guess I need to read up on these firewall rules.

c

Last edited:

IPCamo

n3wb
Reaction score
Two birds, one stone: Oversensitive IR and Fingerpoken in zee the IR dome.

I believe it's a basic human-factors design flaw to have the IR dome in the center position, as many people instinctively think "center" = "target". Solved that. The plain English and downward pointing arrow should help reinforce the idea that the bell icon with the glowing blue ring around it is the aim-point.

The IR is also a tad overzealous and gives many falses from passing cars....even when the detection zone is set to the lowest level. Limiting the IR "view" to the small triangle is definitely helping limit that annoyance.

Below: the part on the right is the factory bezel I removed to put in the new part.

Attachments

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the recommended firmware for best stability, features etc. but still have the ability to utilise blue iris for 24/7 recording?

Also what does everyone use to access advanced configuration of settings for the camera?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
My DHCP is set to 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199 so I set a the DB to a static address of 192.168.0.99. Then reset the door bell and it linked up.
Now if I turn off WiFi on my phone I still get the live feed over 4G. That tells me it's still on the network and getting off to the cloud.

I was actually surprised I could get the feed without WiFi.

I guess I need to read up on these firewall rules.

c
All the Apps EZVIZ, LaView ONE, Hik-Connect, etc. go through their Clouds so you are going through the Internet to connect to your Doorbell. When you connect via your phone's cell service, you are still going through the Internet (Your Cell company's Internet) to connect to your Doorbell. What is great about this Doorbell is it is not Internet (Cloud) dependent to record locally, SD Card, NVR, NAS, Blue Iris, etc. This best way to protect yourself is via a VPN so when you connect to your Doorbell remotely your traffic is encrypted coming back into your Network. Also putting your Doorbell on it's own LAN, separate from your personal network is another good way to secure yourself.

Hope this helps.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the recommended firmware for best stability, features etc. but still have the ability to utilise blue iris for 24/7 recording?

Also what does everyone use to access advanced configuration of settings for the camera?
LaView or Nelly's for ONVIF support via Blue Iris.

Batch Configuration Tool

You may want to read the Install section on the Doorbell 101 before install. Also there is a lot of great collected info for setup...

Chuck T

n3wb
Reaction score
All the Apps EZVIZ, LaView ONE, Hik-Connect, etc. go through their Clouds so you are going through the Internet to connect to your Doorbell. When you connect via your phone's cell service, you are still going through the Internet (Your Cell company's Internet) to connect to your Doorbell. What is great about this Doorbell is it is not Internet (Cloud) dependent to record locally, SD Card, NVR, NAS, Blue Iris, etc. This best way to protect yourself is via a VPN so when you connect to your Doorbell remotely your traffic is encrypted coming back into your Network. Also putting your Doorbell on it's own LAN, separate from your personal network is another good way to secure yourself.

Hope this helps.
Not really. I'm trying to block the DB from getting to the cloud. If I can see the live stream in their app with my mobile's wifi turned off, I don't think I've accomplished my goal. I will use BI & VPN when I get it locked down.

Chuck T

n3wb
Reaction score
IDK, maybe there's some way I'm getting back into my network from my cell service.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I seem to have locked myself out. I tried a few firmwares messed with a few settings and everything worked, decided to stick with laview but wanted to start fresh.

I reset the DB, now I can't register using the QR code. I tried manually connecting using EZVIZ_CODE and LAVIEW_CODE but it doesn't work. The DB SSID is no longer EZVIZ_serial but rather Laview_serial

I made sure not to change any admin passwords, only changed video settings and firmware.

Anything else i can try?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And there is no issue switching back and forth between at any time right?
No not when you are fully setup, But when you first load either firmware you need to be aware of the Logo issue:

⦁ For EZVIZ owners (ONLY); if you plan to install/upgrade your firmware to LaView's firmware you NEED to be sure and follow these steps: First Check your firmware in your App under Settings. If you have build 190304 DO NOT install LaView's firmware (If you do you will end up with a RCA Logo). If have the 190304 build you will NEED to update your firmware to EZVIZ build 190708 first. Next; with the 190708 build installed/confirmed go to Batch Config. Tool (Remote Configuration/Image/Video Display) check to see if the Logo is checked ON, if so, you will need to uncheck it Off before installing/upgrading to LaView's firmware.

Since this the above post, EZVIZ has a released a newer firmware 191211 just a few days ago Jan. 6th this week. The above worked with the previous firmware version 190708, so as long as you upgrade your firmware from that version to LaView's 190716 build you will be fine. What we do not have confirmed, of course since we just got the new firmware, is if the above will work with the new firmware EZVIZ build 191211.

Just no matter what, do not upgrade from EZVIZ build 190304, which a lot of the EZVIZ Doorbells being purchased from Amazon had as it's default/preinstalled firmware.

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just no matter what, do not upgrade from EZVIZ build 190304, which a lot of the EZVIZ Doorbells being purchased from Amazon had as it's default/preinstalled firmware.
Thanks. I'll follow your steps above first :D Appreciate it.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Correct. MFG date of 10/19
So what I would do not to get your self in a jam, hold off on the firmware upgrade to LaView or Nelly's, just get your DB up and running with the latest 191211 build. You can still manually enter your RTSP info in Blue Iris and still record 24/7. Once you have everything running you could upgrade firmware later to get ONVIF support. We still very little about 191211 build other than you can turn on/off the outside DB sound. The reason for LaView being so popular other than the ONVIF support is several here stated it was the most stable.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Correct. MFG date of 10/19
The 190304? If so, ugrade it for sure, we went through a couple of weeks of users stuck with the RCA Logo, took us awhile to figure out how this could even happen with a EZVIZ DB. We finally found it was that build, 190304.

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 190304? If so, ugrade it for sure, we went through a couple of weeks of users stuck with the RCA Logo, took us awhile to figure out how this could even happen with a EZVIZ DB. We finally found it was that build, 190304.
Awesome. I am now on the latest f/w and i'll await confirmation before making my next move.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I seem to have locked myself out. I tried a few firmwares messed with a few settings and everything worked, decided to stick with laview but wanted to start fresh.

I reset the DB, now I can't register using the QR code. I tried manually connecting using EZVIZ_CODE and LAVIEW_CODE but it doesn't work. The DB SSID is no longer EZVIZ_serial but rather Laview_serial

I made sure not to change any admin passwords, only changed video settings and firmware.

Anything else i can try?
Hey JonSnow, have not forgotten about you. I will need to look back on on some messages that mentioned SSID changing and what they did to fix it. So I cannot give you any advise yet or direct you to any messages. You can search SSID in this thread, I remember the messages were fairly recent, last month that is.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome. I am now on the latest f/w and i'll await confirmation before making my next move.
Yeah I would stay at 191211 at least for now. I just got my EZVIZ and will be doing some testing in the coming week. I have a LaView DB running now (actually for 6 months) in which I will be resetting/removing to replace with the EZVIZ DB. But first I want to do some streaming test to Blue Iris to see how stable 191211 build is. Feel free to share any results/issues you encounter. Thanks.