New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Reaction score
I’ve just bought the Ezviz DB1 and it works perfectly with the Friedland / Honeywell D3126. This chime only runs on 8v too. It has to be wired in parallel to use the D3126 chime. Also it works best with the DB1 chime switched off in the app as you get a full bell ring at the D3126 chime, it’s only partial when switched on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get the app to ring like a proper incoming phone call on the iPhone iOS? It only comes up as a notification like a text message.

Last edited:

mitchrapp

n3wb
Reaction score
I really want OVNIF, but also hate the outside ring. Anyone updated to the Firmware where you can turn it off, then turned it off, then loaded firmware that had OVNIF? Wonder if it would keep the setting kind of like the RCA logo removal? I have the RCA variant
What benefits are there for OVNIF for this doorbell other than making it easier to find?

ideal2545

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you currently using Home Assistant? If so, there is a Blue Iris Integration to get the streams. If not, then you need to investigate it and see if it something you want to pursue because there is a learning curve. Blue Iris is just one portion of my home automation. I have z-wave light light and fan switches, z-wave sensor on mailbox door, a zigbee leak detector, DSC security system, esp8266 WiFi garage door openers, etc. so it was worth the effort to learn about Home Assistant. Below is just a general idea of what is involved. I won't go into all the details, but if you are using Home Assistant I am happy to share all my settings and more details.

Basically you will allow Home Assistant access to your streams. In Home Assistant for Blue Iris I use a mjpeg because it loads faster. My entry in HA configuration.yaml looks like this
- platform: mjpeg
mjpeg_url: name: Main Door
username: !secret bi_username
password: !secret bi_password
authentication: basic

For the Google Home Hubs I integrated them using Nabu Casa, $5 per month, but make it easy to integrate both Google Home Hubs and Alexa. You can integrate them manually if you want and save the $5 per month. The Sony TV (Bravia) also has an integration for Home Assistant.

When I get an Alert on BI it posts a MQTT trigger to Home Assistant to start an automation. For this you have to setup MQTT on Home Assistant and Blue Iris and then create a binary_sensor in Home Assistant configuration.yaml.

When the binary_sensor doorbell_motion goes from Off to On it triggers an automation in Home Assistant. The automation determines if the Sony TV is on or off. If it is on, the current doorbell stream is shown on both Google Home Hubs and the Sony TV. If Off I just display to Google Hubs (I don't want it to turn on the TV if it is off) I show 15 seconds and then resume.

The method I use, loses the first few seconds of video when you cast it to the displays and tv, but I am not concerned because I have that recorded in BI and we are just interested if someone is at the door and who they are.

Home Assistant also has a Stream component that allows you to record and you can prerecord like BI but the file format required loads to slow when casting to my devices. I haven't played with it very much, but I know it could be faster if I changed my video stream setting. The mjpeq works very well for us so I haven't bothered.
Hi,

I'm curious if Home Assistant can talk directly to the camera (or through some MQTT method) to trigger automations when the actual doorbell itself is pressed, do you know if this is possible?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not think at this time that Home Assistant can talk directly to the camera such that it gets MQTT messages from a doorbell press. You can though tap in to the manual chime say with a reed switch and trigger another device like for example a LV WiFi device with Espurna / Tasmota firmware in it. Here my doorbell (many years now) connects to an Elk Doorbell board and Elk Debounce board which goes to one zone on the Omni Pro 2 panel. These two boards did cause me a bit of grief when installing the doorbell.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It does ring, but only shows on screen as a notification. It doesn’t display full screen like an incoming telephone call or FaceTime etc
Ah yes that is correct. Same here. I agree that should change. Before you can talk to someone you have to tap on your notification, unlock your phone and then it opens a dedicated doorbell screen.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm based in the UK. I'm looking at getting the ezviz DB1. Just ensuring I get the right package together.
I'm looking at getting the doorbell and a chime. From what I've read there are particular models that work better and some not. I'm just trying to be cautious here and I've come across the below:

I've read on this thread that if there any problems then I should get a 16v 30va or 24v 30va.

Can anyone tell me if this is suitable and would work ? It doesn't state the "30va" bit.

I am sorry the DOORBELL 101, if that is where you got your info, was written with US power requirements/specs in mind. I apologize in that I have not created a separate section for EUR, I do plan to now that we have several more EUR owners. I hope I am even referencing EUR right... Thank you for your patience...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read these messages too. But I use 12volts 18 VA transformer with a Honeywell d117 together with the ezviz db1. And its working like a charm.
Thank you, I will link to your message in the 101 here in the near future.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just click on advanced to see the batch application. The Windows EZViz is the same as the HikVision iVMS-4200 and shows the same. It is easier to just run the batch application and add the camera to the top section using "+". Here you just put in admin and password. Note if you have have not changed the password the default password is "admin + verification code".

Note the below. I am currently testing first gen DB1 camera for a take apart. The DB2 camera is working fine outside. Works the same with both cameras.

Click on Advanced to see the Batch configuration menu (program).
On my EZVIZ DB1 I'm missing the NETWORK/ADVANCED buttons. I'm using EZVIZ Studio 2.0.2. Probably it depends on the model/firmware of the camera. It's a pity.

1579862154730.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I really want OVNIF, but also hate the outside ring. Anyone updated to the Firmware where you can turn it off, then turned it off, then loaded firmware that had OVNIF? Wonder if it would keep the setting kind of like the RCA logo removal? I have the RCA variant
Good Question.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that is not going to work as the newer firmware is what enables the outdoor bell sound which would be removed once you re-flashed down to a lower revision ONVIF capable firmware. If the latest Ezviz FW 191211 has ONVIF, then it'll be possible to have both features but I don't think anyone has gone ahead and upgraded their RCA unit with the 191211 build.
This I can say, the option is Not in my EZVIZ App and I am running LaView's firmware on my LaView DB. I would say it is firmware dependent too. But there is slight chance it is hardware dependent like Google./Alexa on the EZVIZ DBs...But I doubt it...

I still have not installed my EZVIZ DB or I would have the answer. It looks like it will now be much later do to some present family issues we are dealing with lately.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge. As others have mentioned you can tap into the manual chime. I saw this post that should accomplish it. Integrate "old fashioned" doorbell into HA with Xiaomi
Will definitely be adding this link to the 101, good find...I actually thought about this awhile back to add a wired contact from my Smart Alarm system (Konnected) I have the new wired version on order, love the Konnected system...Can manually activate/deactivate or Auto sets alarm when my wife and I leave the house with our phones and deactivates when we return. Great DIY system...

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On my EZVIZ DB1 I'm missing the NETWORK/ADVANCED buttons. I'm using EZVIZ Studio 2.0.2. Probably it depends on the model/firmware of the camera. It's a pity.

Yes here using firmware V5.2.4 and build190625 on Nelly's NCS-DB2.

It is easy to update the firmware.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Yes here using firmware V5.2.4 and build190625 on Nelly's NCS-DB2.

It is easy to update the firmware.
You can see it in the screenshot above, under the cam icon (ezviz fw v5.2.4 build 191211). I don't need ONVIF and I preferred to stick with default fw.

Anyway, I found the cause, check this article:
You have to configure a file to activate those local admin functionalities. And it works, I can now access NETWORK/ADVANCED buttons. :)

1579867133870.png

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can see it in the screenshot above, under the cam icon (ezviz fw v5.2.4 build 191211). I don't need ONVIF and I preferred to stick with default fw.

Anyway, I found the cause, check this article:
You have to configure a file to activate those local admin functionalities. And it works, I can now access NETWORK/ADVANCED buttons. :)

View attachment 54464
Good find. Thanks

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm finally ready to install bit have no idea if my doorbell chime is compatible, I'm unable to find any model number or even the manufacturer etc.

What's the best way to figure this out?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good find alexdelprete!!!

Yeah here just upgraded the firmware and the options became available.

Using OnVif, RTSP and JPG here. JPG is for my OmniTouch screens which connect to my Leviton OmniPro 2 panel.

Testing different Linux based NVRs these days having been a Zoneminder user now for over 10 years here.

Today working on getting audio working with the Monocle Amazon Proxy.

Got audio working but not microphone at this time.