New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, already received my EZVIZ doorbell (ordered it two days ago via adorama on ebay!) - everything looks new except for a slight scratch on the back where the screw terminals are for power, but hooked it up and it's working fine!

Now onto attempting a firmware upgrade again (I necessarily want ONVIF). I'm currently on V5.2.4 build 190304 and it's prompting me to upgrade to V5.2.4 build 191211. Before I do any firmware updates, is there a way to get a copy of the current firmware I have installed? Then, to get an ONVIF supported firmware, should I first do the built in firmware update and only then try moving over to nelly's / laview after that's successful? And I indeed simply add the doorbell to batch config, do not activate it (otherwise it'll change the password), and then go to upgrade -> point to the .dav, and go?
Let us know if Pete's firmware copy worked...BUT make sure you update from 190304 to 191211 BEFORE you change to another firmware brand:

⦁ For EZVIZ owners (ONLY); if you plan to install/upgrade your firmware to LaView's firmware you NEED to be sure and follow these steps: First Check your firmware in your App under Settings. If you have firmware build 190304 DO NOT install LaView's firmware (If you do you will end up with a RCA Logo). If have the 190304 build you will NEED to update your firmware to EZVIZ build 190708 first. Next; with the 190708 build installed/confirmed go to Batch Config. Tool (Remote Configuration/Image/Video Display) check to see if the Logo is checked ON, if so, you will need to uncheck it Off before installing/upgrading to LaView's firmware.

SO THIS WAS WRITTEN BEFORE 191211 build, so you will not experience 190708

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just installed an EZVIZ DB1 and everything works well. The only hiccup I had was I could not answer when someone rang the doorbell. The answer/reject dialog popped up but when I tapped answer on my android phone (Galaxy S9) I just got a spinning circle and no video. Called EZVIZ and they had me uninstall and reinstall the app and then it worked.
BTW I was able to get the camera working on my Northern NVR (Hikvision rebrand) with the EZVIZ firmware so I didn't have to get the ONVIF firmware for that. Is there any other advantage to using the LaView firmware? Thanks.
Stability was one other reason but now with 191211 firmware released that reason may not be on the table anymore. I would run with what you have for now.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, already received my EZVIZ doorbell (ordered it two days ago via adorama on ebay!) - everything looks new except for a slight scratch on the back where the screw terminals are for power, but hooked it up and it's working fine!

Now onto attempting a firmware upgrade again (I necessarily want ONVIF). I'm currently on V5.2.4 build 190304 and it's prompting me to upgrade to V5.2.4 build 191211. Before I do any firmware updates, is there a way to get a copy of the current firmware I have installed? Then, to get an ONVIF supported firmware, should I first do the built in firmware update and only then try moving over to nelly's / laview after that's successful? And I indeed simply add the doorbell to batch config, do not activate it (otherwise it'll change the password), and then go to upgrade -> point to the .dav, and go?
If you do get TFTP tool to copy the firmware 190304, can you zip it and up it here, I have been trying to keep copies of all the firmwares. Thank You...

ashane926

n3wb
Reaction score
Question for you guys who don't have a chime and directly plug this in to power, I looked at the diagrams in page 35 for ones that uses power adapter and a chime but i don't have an existing doorbell or chime at my house. I've attached a diagram i think might work but not completely sure. Does the wiring looks right to you guys who have used a power adapter to power these.

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question for you guys who don't have a chime and directly plug this in to power, I looked at the diagrams in page 35 for ones that uses power adapter and a chime but i don't have an existing doorbell or chime at my house. I've attached a diagram i think might work but not completely sure. Does the wiring looks right to you guys who have used a power adapter to power these.
Two things; a transformer whether a power brick plugged into a wall plug or an external do the same thing, they step-down voltage. Second, the Power Kit is usually used for Chimes (Mechanical or Digital/Electronic) A resistor is suggested to be installed by Hikvision (which comes with the Doorbell), be sure and choose "No Chime" in the App when you install.

1579748535759.png

See DOORBELL 101

jrinco11

n3wb
Reaction score
is there a way to get a copy of the current firmware I have installed?

You can using the TFTP tool mentioned above with the command

copy digicap.dav digicap.dav.backup

Updating firmware with the Hikvision Batch configuration program is as you mentioned in your post.
I don't understand how I'd use the TFPT tool to copy off the original firmware. The only info about using that tool is about auto updating the firmware, but at that point, the firmware would be overwritten w/the new one, no?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't understand how I'd use the TFPT tool to copy off the original firmware. The only info about using that tool is about auto updating the firmware, but at that point, the firmware would be overwritten w/the new one, no?
So I looked in the TFPT tool zip and I saw what you saw. Looks like a one-way (transmit/copy) from PC to Hik device.

1579752012521.png

1579751881616.png1579751938832.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As for the 190304 firmware, I would not worry about it, doubt any of us will need or want to go back to that version, I/we don't have to have it for archive. We had a lot of problems with that version when upgrading from it to LaView/Nelly's...

Just Make Sure you upgrade from it to 191211

fcol

n3wb
Reaction score
Two things; a transformer whether a power brick plugged into a wall plug or an external do the same thing, they step-down voltage. Second, the Power Kit is usually used for Chimes (Mechanical or Digital/Electronic) A resistor is suggested to be installed by Hikvision (which comes with the Doorbell), be sure and choose "No Chime" in the App when you install.

View attachment 54361

See DOORBELL 101
I use my RCA without a chime and only have the “resistor” attached. However, the “resistor” seems to just be a fuse (virtually zero DC resistance when I measure with my ohm meter). So I’m not really sure what it’s doing?
I’ve read about Ring users placing a 50W 25 ohm power resistor in line from their transformers to their Ring cams. What is that supposed to do besides heat up the resistor?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Installed the EZViz Studio application today on my Windows laptop.

You can download it here ==> hxxp:/download2.ezvizlife.com/assets/deps/EzvizStudioSetups.exe

It allows you to view cameras registered on their cloud app or just local network connected cameras.

You can view local events on it quickly. It also loads the HikVision batch configuration program on advanced settings.
Thanks for this hint @pete_c

The app also allows to activate 2-way audio communication with the doorbell, so you can talk with the person who rang the bell.
I didn't find the batch config program in there, how did you open it? Can you show a picture or guide me through it? I can only configure the things I do via the mobile app, through "All Devices->Device Information" (see picture).

It would be really cool to open up Hikvision's Config Tool from there but couldn't find how.

Thanks.

1579773459037.png

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just click on advanced to see the batch application. The Windows EZViz is the same as the HikVision iVMS-4200 and shows the same. It is easier to just run the batch application and add the camera to the top section using "+". Here you just put in admin and password. Note if you have have not changed the password the default password is "admin + verification code".

Note the below. I am currently testing first gen DB1 camera for a take apart. The DB2 camera is working fine outside. Works the same with both cameras.

DB-1-0.jpg

Click on Advanced to see the Batch configuration menu (program).

DB-1-1.jpg

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use my RCA without a chime and only have the “resistor” attached. However, the “resistor” seems to just be a fuse (virtually zero DC resistance when I measure with my ohm meter). So I’m not really sure what it’s doing?
I’ve read about Ring users placing a 50W 25 ohm power resistor in line from their transformers to their Ring cams. What is that supposed to do besides heat up the resistor?
Yeah I remember several messages on is this, is it a resistor or a fuse. I found one message with a picture:

3.15A Fuse
1579789383654.png

There were also other messages where some users were actually adding resistors inline though, but I think it was for Digital/Electronic Chimes...I will search a little more to see if I can find those messages. Being a fuse, I don't see why it is not added to all installs, anything to help protect our Smart Doorbell investment.

fcol

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I remember several messages on is this, is it a resistor or a fuse...
Here’s one explanation for why a power resistor is recommended:

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In the Netherlands a chime transformer has a significant output resistance to limit the current when shorted. But if you use a normal tranformer I guess you better use a resistance like the one mentioned with the ring db.

Honesty87

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm based in the UK. I'm looking at getting the ezviz DB1. Just ensuring I get the right package together.
I'm looking at getting the doorbell and a chime. From what I've read there are particular models that work better and some not. I'm just trying to be cautious here and I've come across the below:

I've read on this thread that if there any problems then I should get a 16v 30va or 24v 30va.

Can anyone tell me if this is suitable and would work ? It doesn't state the "30va" bit.

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm based in the UK. I'm looking at getting the ezviz DB1. Just ensuring I get the right package together.
I'm looking at getting the doorbell and a chime. From what I've read there are particular models that work better and some not. I'm just trying to be cautious here and I've come across the below:

I've read on this thread that if there any problems then I should get a 16v 30va or 24v 30va.

Can anyone tell me if this is suitable and would work ? It doesn't state the "30va" bit.

I read these messages too. But I use 12volts 18 VA transformer with a Honeywell d117 together with the ezviz db1. And its working like a charm.

Lonsdalien

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an installation problem on the DB1 doorbell.
My current chime is powered by 230v AC and supplied 8v AC from the internal transformer.

I connected the DB1 doorbell to the 2 brown files instead of my old doorbell, without le power kit, but the light flashes red.
The manual says that if it is red, there is a problem with the power supply.
  1. Do I have to install the power kit provided?
  2. how to make the connection? I'm lost..
  3. If 8v is too low, i can buy a transformer on amazon, but my chime will accept the highest voltage ?
The installation manuel of my chime is here :

Photo of my chime and documentation from ezviz France below.

Thank you

Attachments

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an installation problem on the DB1 doorbell.
My current chime is powered by 230v AC and supplied 8v AC from the internal transformer.

I connected the DB1 doorbell to the 2 brown files instead of my old doorbell, without le power kit, but the light flashes red.
The manual says that if it is red, there is a problem with the power supply.
  1. Do I have to install the power kit provided?
  2. how to make the connection? I'm lost..
  3. If 8v is too low, i can buy a transformer on amazon, but my chime will accept the highest voltage ?
The installation manuel of my chime is here :

Photo of my chime and documentation from ezviz France below.

Thank you
I ‘m afraid that you might have to get a new chime and separate transformer or a 240volt switching relais and a a 12-24 volts transformer.

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The "outdoor bell sound" toggle switch is the key as that is what is missing in the prior FW build to manipulate the ring tone.
I really want OVNIF, but also hate the outside ring. Anyone updated to the Firmware where you can turn it off, then turned it off, then loaded firmware that had OVNIF? Wonder if it would keep the setting kind of like the RCA logo removal? I have the RCA variant

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I really want OVNIF, but also hate the outside ring. Anyone updated to the Firmware where you can turn it off, then turned it off, then loaded firmware that had OVNIF? Wonder if it would keep the setting kind of like the RCA logo removal? I have the RCA variant
I believe that is not going to work as the newer firmware is what enables the outdoor bell sound which would be removed once you re-flashed down to a lower revision ONVIF capable firmware. If the latest Ezviz FW 191211 has ONVIF, then it'll be possible to have both features but I don't think anyone has gone ahead and upgraded their RCA unit with the 191211 build.