New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just an Idea

Can you not use IFTTT to trigger the Announce, and or the Drop-in feature on your Alexa devices. I would think that this should also be possible for Alexa Speaker devices for announcing a doorbell press although using IFTTT for anything is probably going to introduce a noticeable delay

For Google Devices and Speakers The same might be done using the Broadcast feature.

Again not sure this will work but if it does I think one could configure a .mp3 to be played when triggered maybe through a routine

Another idea If using Android

Would be to use the Tasker android .apk
to intercept the doorbell press event through the Ezviz .apk or possibly even pick up the event through the android logcat and use that intent to trigger the announce, and or the broadcast features respectively Tasker has an excellent forum community and I'm sure that not only, this is possible but that someone in that community would be willing to help you get this going. Once figured out the Tasker Project could be shared/linked here for future users so they they could more easily accomplish the same.
Already tried both:

1. IFTTT: it has ezviz integration, it also a lot of Alarm Types to trigger, as you can see from the following picture. I tried PIR events and it worked, albeit very unreliable (sometimes it triggered after 20 minutes from the event), and I tried Intelligent Doorbell Alarm, thinking it was the trigger for the ring button, but it never triggered. Anyway, it's unreliable and slow, so it's not a solution to intercept the call quickly.

1580245861680.png

2. I thought about intercepting the android notification, but believe it or not, there's no notification when someone rings, just the skype-like window that pops up. It's a real pity, otherwise something could have been done.

The last thing I was thinking to do is installing an internal traditional chime, mechanical, and intercept the vibration through a sensor configured with my Hubitat. But it's a last resort solution since I ordered an Aeotec Siren 6, an internal z-wave wireless siren/alarm/chime, that integrates natively with Hubitat, so I just need to find a way to let Hubitat know when someone rings the DB1. :)

Thanks for your suggestions in any case, I appreciate it.

junky123

n3wb
Reaction score
Or get a Sage Doorbell Sensor connected to the chime and pair it to Hubitat. Then you can use Push Notification or announce it through Alexa.

Already tried both:

1. IFTTT: it has ezviz integration, it also a lot of Alarm Types to trigger, as you can see from the following picture. I tried PIR events and it worked, albeit very unreliable (sometimes it triggered after 20 minutes from the event), and I tried Intelligent Doorbell Alarm, thinking it was the trigger for the ring button, but it never triggered. Anyway, it's unreliable and slow, so it's not a solution to intercept the call quickly.

View attachment 54759

2. I thought about intercepting the android notification, but believe it or not, there's no notification when someone rings, just the skype-like window that pops up. It's a real pity, otherwise something could have been done.

The last thing I was thinking to do is installing an internal traditional chime, mechanical, and intercept the vibration through a sensor configured with my Hubitat. But it's a last resort solution since I ordered an Aeotec Siren 6, an internal z-wave wireless siren/alarm/chime, that integrates natively with Hubitat, so I just need to find a way to let Hubitat know when someone rings the DB1. :)

Thanks for your suggestions in any case, I appreciate it.

Reaction score
I purchased the RCA HSDB2A on 1/4/2020 from Amazon, so I'm not going to attempt the LaView FW update at this time.

My question is...is there any real benefit of having ONVIF over RTSP when streaming to a NAS? Or is ONVIF mainly for easy discovery and pass-through of camera features.

I'm recording to my Synology NAS via RTSP and everything seems alright. I just wasn't sure if there's performance benefits to ONVIF.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or get a Sage Doorbell Sensor connected to the chime and pair it to Hubitat. Then you can use Push Notification or announce it through Alexa.
That's what I wrote in the last part of the post. But I'd like to avoid installing a chime. Would the Sage work if I connect it in some way directly to the DB1? Seems that Sage is out of production.

UPDATE: This looks perfect. Doesn't need the chime, just the transformer: WiFi Doorbell Sensor
Only thing I don't like is that it runs on battery.

1580255608773.png

Last edited:

mitchrapp

n3wb
Reaction score
So I am only aware of a On/Off of the Phone Calls in the App. Let us know if you find anything different...Thanks...
I emailed EZVIZ and they confirmed, all you can do is turn on or off Answer Doorbell Call. That's disappointing. I've had 2 previous smart doorbells (Zmodo and Eufy) and both worked through the typical phone call ringtones, which you can change, or set to vibrate. I am not going to remember to silence this everytime I am in a meeting or someplace quiet. What do you all do?

blahdc

n3wb
Reaction score
Did anyone else receive a gasket/seal for their doorbell? Are you installing this behind the mounting plate (between house and doorbell) or are you placing this between the mounting plate and the doorbell? Seems like the 2nd option would be better and then place silicone along the outside and inside of the mounting bracket.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't confirm the behavior you describe.

My Ezviz DB1 (on Ezviz app) records PIR events on the SD. These events can be recalled under "video history" and are marked as orange bars on the timeline (see picture).
I haven't tested what happens when the SD card is removed or is faulty/uninitialized.

I think the explanation of David is correct, but am not sure if this still applies when you are within your own network. This can easily be tested by disconnecting from the internet (or apply a firewall rule).

View attachment 54747
@Jack007

I was aware of the "Video History" but at first I thought that was on the cloud, now I know it is on the SD card. Thanks.

I now use the Batch Config to download the video instead of first saving to Ezviz gallery and then saving to video section on phone. A funky way to do it but it works.

Bob

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did anyone else receive a gasket/seal for their doorbell? Are you installing this behind the mounting plate (between house and doorbell) or are you placing this between the mounting plate and the doorbell? Seems like the 2nd option would be better and then place silicone along the outside and inside of the mounting bracket.
The foam gasket is for rough surface, goes between the mounting plate and surface you are mounting on. At least that is the description they give in the instructions.

blahdc

n3wb
Reaction score
The foam gasket is for rough surface, goes between the mounting plate and surface you are mounting on. At least that is the description they give in the instructions.
Thanks. I can't find any mention about it at all in the set of instructions that came with mine.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just received an Ezviz DB1 from Amazon and will be installing it at my in-laws tonight. I upgraded to V5.2.4 build 191211 so I can disable the outdoor bell sound for them. Tested Alexa skills and works flawlessly with my Echo Show 8(slight delay of ~4-5 seconds for live feed though). Now I'm fully convinced my RCA HSDB2 unit even though I've enabled both RCA Alexa skills and Ezvix Alexa skills is blocked by Ezviz by serial number as the DB1 worked fine on the same network sitting next to each other. RCA released their Alexa skills around same time as Ezviz so maybe Hik/Ezviz wanted to charge too much to traverse their Alexa cloud integration...

Reaction score
I grabbed a cheap RCA HSDB2A off eBay earlier this week, and it arrived tonight. I soldered pins into the CN2 set of vias, and one of them is definitely ground, but I cannot seem to find ASCII or other output data on any of the other pins. Not noise, not binary, nothing. :( I'm using 115200 Baud, 8 bits, no parity for settings. I was hoping to find a CFE/BIOS environment to document, but so far, not a darned thing. :( :( :(

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears. FYI, it appears the RTOS is vxWorks, and not Linux. Another disappointing find, hack-wise. :(

FYI, I was using an inexpensive CP-2104 USB/TTY board typically used with ESP8266 and ESP32 boards.
I'll switch to a different USB cable tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

iouhxm

n3wb
Reaction score
hi. everyone
I have a few questions to ask. hope anyone would help.
I bought my RCA HSDB2 on Jan.23. 2020 from Rakuten.
come with the original firmware V5.2.4 build 180809.
I have upgraded to build 190124.
after upgraded. the motion sensor got more sensitive. video got brighter than before.
but the night vision still could not turn on. (I put IR enabled). anyway can be fix it?
tried at RCA an EZVIZ app already.Screenshot_20200129-185136.jpg
I also need onvif support for 24/7 recording. should i upgrade to laview firmware or ezviz for onvif support?

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Problem using Batch Config to format SD card. I was using the Batch Config to download a couple of clips from my SD card, this worked well. While in the Batch Config I decided to reformat the card to clear everything off. It tool a while (128gb) but did not return any errors. When I ran the Ezviz app it said card was not initialized. When I tried to initialize it it would fail every time. I replaced the card and will look at it tomorrow on my pc.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just received an Ezviz DB1 from Amazon and will be installing it at my in-laws tonight. I upgraded to V5.2.4 build 191211 so I can disable the outdoor bell sound for them. Tested Alexa skills and works flawlessly with my Echo Show 8(slight delay of ~4-5 seconds for live feed though). Now I'm fully convinced my RCA HSDB2 unit even though I've enabled both RCA Alexa skills and Ezvix Alexa skills is blocked by Ezviz by serial number as the DB1 worked fine on the same network sitting next to each other. RCA released their Alexa skills around same time as Ezviz so maybe Hik/Ezviz wanted to charge too much to traverse their Alexa cloud integration...
Sorry for late reply. It now makes sense to me, that they protected their Google and Alexa fees they pay (Each Brand, EZVIZ, LaView), otherwise the other brands would just use their skills. The RCA skill is maybe there for other RCA products. I know LaView's skill is for all their products that support Alexa...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I grabbed a cheap RCA HSDB2A off eBay earlier this week, and it arrived tonight. I soldered pins into the CN2 set of vias, and one of them is definitely ground, but I cannot seem to find ASCII or other output data on any of the other pins. Not noise, not binary, nothing. :( I'm using 115200 Baud, 8 bits, no parity for settings. I was hoping to find a CFE/BIOS environment to document, but so far, not a darned thing. :( :( :(

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears. FYI, it appears the RTOS is vxWorks, and not Linux. Another disappointing find, hack-wise. :(

FYI, I was using an inexpensive CP-2104 USB/TTY board typically used with ESP8266 and ESP32 boards.
I'll switch to a different USB cable tonight and see if that makes any difference.
Thank You very much for your efforts. I/we eagerly await your results. If you do establish communication with the unit, this will be Huge...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi. everyone
I have a few questions to ask. hope anyone would help.
I bought my RCA HSDB2 on Jan.23. 2020 from Rakuten.
come with the original firmware V5.2.4 build 180809.
I have upgraded to build 190124.
after upgraded. the motion sensor got more sensitive. video got brighter than before.
but the night vision still could not turn on. (I put IR enabled). anyway can be fix it?
tried at RCA an EZVIZ app already.View attachment 54824
I also need onvif support for 24/7 recording. should i upgrade to laview firmware or ezviz for onvif support?
Sorry for late reply.
Thank you for sharing the firmware build history, I included the 180809 in the DOORBELL 101
As for the IR issues, a few thoughts, if your porch area is too bright due to some lighting this may cause the IR not to activate. Your picture shows what the Doorbell advertises as Night Color Mode. You may want to check in the Batch Configuration Tool and play with the Day/Night settings, I have not personally, but it may trigger some kind of fix.
LaView and Nelly's firmware offer ONVIF support BUT Do Not upgrade to either with your RCA at this time. We have an unfortunate list of Bricked RCA units. See WARNINGS in 101.

1580465967449.png

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Problem using Batch Config to format SD card. I was using the Batch Config to download a couple of clips from my SD card, this worked well. While in the Batch Config I decided to reformat the card to clear everything off. It tool a while (128gb) but did not return any errors. When I ran the Ezviz app it said card was not initialized. When I tried to initialize it it would fail every time. I replaced the card and will look at it tomorrow on my pc.
So I experienced a similar issue, you will be able to reformat it in your PC.