New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
The latest has been spot on for me, have not missed a notification since.
The doorbell notifications is always spot on for us

It the PIR notifications that seems to be a hit and miss.

Sometimes when I open EZVIZ apps, it would start to download all the “missed notifications” PIR images files which I knew I did not receive any notifications for. It did not even show up in my iPhone notifications history.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@TechBill
Bill, that is what I meant, PIR notifications. Even when I had trouble with the PIR I never had trouble with the actual doorbell press.
Since the upgrade to 4.1.1 and continuing with 4.1.2 the PIR notifications have worked perfectly. But then I am only connecting to one iPhone.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
@TechBill
Bill, that is what I meant, PIR notifications. Even when I had trouble with the PIR I never had trouble with the actual doorbell press.
Since the upgrade to 4.1.1 and continuing with 4.1.2 the PIR notifications have worked perfectly. But then I am only connecting to one iPhone.
Hrmmm. I’ll give it another shot

thanks for sharing your experience

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
good job. I would remove the UPnP recommendation, it could be needed by some other device on the user's LAN, and I don't see why it should influence the communication with the doorbell.

You forgot the ICMP recommendation, I'd write something like this: "if you use a firewall, allow ICMP from the doorbell to the router, otherwise the doorbell would disconnect/reconnect the wifi (check post by @Ronin1)"
Sorry for late, late reply, computer issues. Will do, thanks...

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry for late, late reply, computer issues. Will do, thanks...
No worries, you do a very useful job for new owners of these devices, thanks for that.

Tonight my DB1 died. No lights, power is ok, I disconnected it for 5-6 hours before trying to reconnect it, but nothing. I contacted local support for replacement. Not very happy about this, it means it's not very reliable if it breaks after a couple of months.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TechBill
We have the same, the second we open our door to leave, we get PIR notifications on both of our Android phones, we also get the chirp from our alarm system. :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No worries, you do a very useful job for new owners of these devices, thanks for that.

Tonight my DB1 died. No lights, power is ok, I disconnected it for 5-6 hours before trying to reconnect it, but nothing. I contacted local support for replacement. Not very happy about this, it means it's not very reliable if it breaks after a couple of months.
Wow, not good. I do remember reading, I believe this year, one other person posting the no light dead issue, don't remember reading if they fixed it or replaced it. I will search back.

EDIT: Found him, but no resolve message:

@alexdelprete you have been a huge help here on this Forum, we all thank you.

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I learned a lot from you guys, and I always try to give back what I received. That's the spirit of these communities. Without these forums, vendors would sell a lot less. They should have someone following these forums.

Thanks to you and all the other gentlemen. Great people. I was lucky to find you guys.

Tomorrow I'll ask for replacement of the camera. :)

Last edited:

cheesey

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello
I want to buy the ezviz db1 but have a few questions. I Had read a few Sites of the Threads.
My questions are:
1. With rtsp Protocoll i can integrate it in homeassistant and have Liveview ?
2. If the Button is pressed can i get notifications in homeassistant ? Like a Sensor.
3. For the first start it must Connect to chinese Servers or can ist Work completely local without Connection to the worldwideweb?
4. Is it possible to integrate the Motionsensor in homeassistant as Motionsensor ?
5. If i want to usw onfiv innere to flash the Firmware of another manufacture right ?
6. Is a frequently asked questions section for this Doorbell available ?

Sorry die my english. Its Not my native language

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello
I want to buy the ezviz db1 but have a few questions. I Had read a few Sites of the Threads.
My questions are:
1. With rtsp Protocoll i can integrate it in homeassistant and have Liveview ?
2. If the Button is pressed can i get notifications in homeassistant ? Like a Sensor.
3. For the first start it must Connect to chinese Servers or can ist Work completely local without Connection to the worldwideweb?
4. Is it possible to integrate the Motionsensor in homeassistant as Motionsensor ?
5. If i want to usw onfiv innere to flash the Firmware of another manufacture right ?
6. Is a frequently asked questions section for this Doorbell available ?

Sorry die my english. Its Not my native language
Could you please read page 101 of this thread? There you wiil find almost everything you always wanted to know about this doorbell. Any questions left after reading we are all happy to ( try) to answer. Have fun.

cheesey

n3wb
Reaction score
Could you please read page 101 of this thread? There you wiil find almost everything you always wanted to know about this doorbell. Any questions left after reading we are all happy to ( try) to answer. Have fun.
Thank you for your answer.

But a few questions couldnt bei answered.
4. Is it possible to integrate the Motionsensor in homeassistant as Motionsensor

With homeassistant i mean the Open source Homeautomation Software Not the Google thing

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

4. Is it possible to integrate the Motionsensor in homeassistant as Motionsensor

With homeassistant i mean the Open source Homeautomation Software Not the Google thing
you will need to install a doorbell sensor like Sage Doorbell Sensor for home automation to be able to detect button pressed.

I would check to see if Hone Assistant have driver for the doorbell sensor. I read that recently someone coded a Sage Doorbell sensor driver for Home Assistant but if none available then you need to find a doorbell sensor that home assistant have a driver for.

It possible to work locally without a cloud with a doorbell sensor and rtsp but two things comes to my mind.

As far I know, nobody is able to get two way talk to work without a cloud or detect the trigger from the doorbell PIR sensor

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Good question. It may be possible during first setup to connect to the Doorbell's WiFi locally, configure the DB with your network settings, see rafale's message, then RTSP stream locally and have a sensor triggered for home automation. I just am not sure the DB setup will complete without cloud registration via an App though, but it may. Now if you want push notifications on your phone and to be able to view your Doorbell remotely then of course the Internet is needed, this is why we suggest to run a local VPN and or keep the DB on a separate network, either VLAN or a guest network via your router or a second NIC on the Blue Iris Server.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is a forum user here looking at and tinkering with the Doorbell API relating to integrating it with Home Assistant. His posts are a few pages back.

Here using an Elk 930 / 960 doorbell sensor and debounce board which connects to an alarm panel which connects to Home Assistant via an MQTT addon.
Another way is to use a reed switch near the plunger inside of a conventional doorbell and connect this to a Low Voltage firmware (Tasmota or Espurna) WiFi device like a SonOff.

doorbell button wires ==> Elk930/960 ==> Doorbell Chime
====================> 2 wires defined as "doorbell" zone in alarm panel.

The alarm software (OmniLinkBridge) talks MQTT and Samsung Smartthings Hub running in Docker like HA today.

In Home Assistant via MQTT see the following. The circuit boards are tacked next to the doorbell transformer and use a 12VDC supply from the alarm panel.

doorbell.jpg

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I learned a lot from you guys, and I always try to give back what I received. That's the spirit of these communities. Without these forums, vendors would sell a lot less. They should have someone following these forums.

Thanks to you and all the other gentlemen. Great people. I was lucky to find you guys.

Tomorrow I'll ask for replacement of the camera. :)
[/QUOTE]
I agree, this Forum/Thread has been great and full of warmth, like our DBs :), well they actually run Hot, but not like its owners though, they run warm. We have DB owners here with over a year run-time, I have 8 months myself. Got a hot summer coming for our DB though, we hope it makes it through our over 100 degree (Fahrenheit) weather this year, like it did last year. I got some crazy 140 degree readings last summer on the DB, but not one hiccup. Hope no one touches the top of our doorbell :)

We hope for you a speedy replacement.

cheesey

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow such a good Forum with friendly Users.
As far I know, nobody is able to get two way talk to work without a cloud or detect the trigger from the doorbell PIR sensor
If i am.not at Home i use a vpn to Connect to my Home. So maybe the Cam can send These Messages via vpn. Most of my smarthomethings are connected to network but Not with the Internet.

Good question. It may be possible during first setup to connect to the Doorbell's WiFi locally, configure the DB with your network settings, see rafale's message, then RTSP stream locally and have a sensor triggered for home automation. I just am not sure the DB setup will complete without cloud registration via an App though, but it may. Now if you want push notifications on your phone and to be able to view your Doorbell remotely then of course the Internet is needed, this is why we suggest to run a local VPN and or keep the DB on a separate network, either VLAN or a guest network via your router or a second NIC on the Blue Iris Server.
Yes i will try this. I Block the Connection Form the Cam and will Setup . If i tried i will notify it here with the result

There is a forum user here looking at and tinkering with the Doorbell API relating to integrating it with Home Assistant. His posts are a few pages back.

Here using an Elk 930 / 960 doorbell sensor and debounce board which connects to an alarm panel which connects to Home Assistant via an MQTT addon.
Another way is to use a reed switch near the plunger inside of a conventional doorbell and connect this to a Low Voltage firmware (Tasmota or Espurna) WiFi device like a SonOff.

doorbell button wires ==> Elk930/960 ==> Doorbell Chime
====================> 2 wires defined as "doorbell" zone in alarm panel.

The alarm software (OmniLinkBridge) talks MQTT and Samsung Smartthings Hub running in Docker like HA today.

In Home Assistant via MQTT see the following. The circuit boards are tacked next to the doorbell transformer and use a 12VDC supply from the alarm panel.

View attachment 56566
Thank you very much. I will give it a try

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If i am.not at Home i use a vpn to Connect to my Home. So maybe the Cam can send These Messages via vpn. Most of my smarthomethings are connected to network but Not with the Internet.

Also here not using the cloud utilities for the video doorbell. I have converted all of my WiFi ==> Cloud automated devices to using Espurna / MQTT these days.

One custom job that has been running now about a year is a combo modded SonOff basic with hard wired open / close door reed sensors, button to open and close garage door and a temperature sensor. Making use of all of the free GPIO pins and Tasmota firmware.

Have the automobiles tagged here for RFID local use.

Old methodology was a doorbell ring sent me a text or email message and I would VPN home to see the event.

New testing I VPN (L2TP/IPSec) to my home network and run old iVMS4200 on my mobile device where I can see the doorbell camera view live and recorded events.

Have been testing iVMS4200 on a Windows 2016 server and have tested emails / texts when events occur to function OK. Also have a Linux version but it has never really been updated.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am afraid I was mistaken. Looking a little further it was this download (Mar 4, 2019): mentioned in this post of JSnP. So it must be an older version of the firmware, which is stil avaialable via that link btw.

So we are still looking for someone who did downl;oad the early version of the 190625 version of the Nelly's firmware. Sorry for this
Ok guys, this is a very late reply, sorry, just got my PC back online to get to the files. I have a Firmware file I downloaded in Sept. 2019 with a filename of NDB313-W.dav I don't remember if I got it from Nelly's, or the usdownload.ezvizlife.com or the app.box.com site Chadsturgill mentions.

Here are my notes:
1583246524991.png
Here is my Folder FIles:
1583248500391.png

This I know, if you look at Chadsturgill's message date in Sept., I downloaded this not long after his message in Sept. At that time I thought it would be good to keep a Firmware folder, problem here is my notes are not clear. One thing that is clear is the two files I zipped up are different sizes as Emiks5 discovered.
I just wish I would of used wget back then when I downloaded these files so I would know their Actual File Dates.

Attachments