New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Discussion in 'Doorbells' started by fleece, Aug 18, 2018.

Share This Page

1. papasan

papasan n3wb

thought I would update this in case anyone is thinking of using this unit similarly. not able to get IFTTT working as of yet, I can see the DB2 on IFTTT and setup an applet but can't seem to find any events that trigger it. emailed Ezviz support, waiting to hear back.

2. metis

metis n3wb

Maybe something like this can help:

FortrezZ

"
    Connect wired buttons:
    • Door bell button
    "

3. metis

metis n3wb

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. dbaker

dbaker n3wb

The only alarm type I have been able to trigger successfully is a PIR Event. It has a delay of 5-10 minutes for me, so it is not very useful to let you know when someone is at the door. I have the PIR event turn on/turn purple a SmartLife controlled bulb. Not sure if the delay is on Ezviz, SmartLife, IFTTT or a combo... so your mileage may vary.

5. metis

metis n3wb

I didn't have the chance to take a packet sniffer to see what happens on the network, but if someone have the time to hack it (I don't have it right now), would be actually having a computer on the local network that acts like the server that the RCA DoorBell send events. Intercepts the packets, if the doorbell packet is received, call a script for IFTTT and such. Otherwise, forward it to the real RCA Server (for example, iOS/Android Apps).

So if I had to do it, I would go with the solution I posted earlier since I have no time to play with packets sniffers, etc. But it is doable.

6. Rexxiboy

Rexxiboy n3wb

Wow! Here is my update. There is a possibility I got a lemon,
    1. My unit was running hot.
    2. Freezes or stops working after 2 days.
    3. Returning after 2 weeks.

3. Thank you amazon prime. Got me a LAVIEW Halo. Looks like its a twin of the RCA doorbell. Except
    a. The app is more responsive.
    b. I found out the ONVIF is being supported from another thread.
    c. My unit is not warm or hot.
    d. It alerts me while I'm away with actual doorbell call. The RCA app prolly needs help and support. It gives alert but not actual call to answer or reject.
    e. I have to pay extra $10 for the Laview, and it does not come with miniSD card. Got me a 128gb for $20

Bye Bye

7. metis

metis n3wb

Rexxiboy, glad you like your LAVIEW Halo, but beside stating you got a lemon, what's the point of your post?

I have not encountered any problems at all with mine.

1. Unit not hot.
    2. App (RCA) responsive
    3. Receive motion notifications
    4. It alerts me when I'm away with actual 2-ways audio call that I can answer or reject.
    5. Came with an SDCard but I deactivated the recording on the SDCard
    6. Using a NVR to record video to an external HDD

You could have encountered the same problems with your new different brand (white labelled EZVIZ) Door Bell.

8. papasan

papasan n3wb

you're right, the PIR Event applet does work (though PIR Alarm does not appear to). as you say, there's a delay. all of the events happen on 15min increments, it seems to be a scheduled "scrape" and not an instant push so pretty much useless for notification of someone at your door.

9. lagvoid

lagvoid Young grasshopper

I tried the LaView One app and now receive doorbell notifications!

I just upgraded from DB1 to DB2 and wanted to share my experience. Everything working much better than DB1 for initial setup. Through my DB1 experience over a year ago, I have a Ubiquiti AP right below the DB in my basement and upgraded my transformer to a 30VA unit. My DB1 has been stable for some time after sorting out those kinks.

DB2 image quality is a good improvement. Fisheye appearance works well for my use to capture floor for packages. Night video quality is much much better. I like the included wedges with DB2. I used the vertical tilt wedge and cut up a piece of wood to angle it left as well.

I have the RCA model and was unable to get doorbell notifications on my Android S9+. I enabled all permissions and reset the device a few times without any luck. I tried the LaView One app and now receive doorbell notifications! The alarm function worked on both fyi.

I was happy with DB1 video quality when lighting was good, but the call function from ringer stopped working a long time ago. Trying to connect directly through app had significant delay compared to DB2. DB1 seemed to hog bandwidth and become laggy even with the dedicated AP under it (6-8 ft). I had to tilt my mounting block a lot to get a decent view of the floor (installation looked awkward). Very rarely, I would experience missed footage from BI recording stream.

Old Laview DB1

RCA DB2 vertical tilt wedge

RCA DB2 vertical tilt wedge and scrap wood horizontal tilt porch light on

RCA DB2 vertical tilt wedge and scrap wood horizontal tilt porch light off

10. lagvoid

lagvoid Young grasshopper

PM me if you still need horizontal wedge.

11. HugChopShop

HugChopShop n3wb

I can connect to my camera with the iVMS-4200 software. I can see WDR and Backlight Compensation, although the settings never save. I get error "Data transmision failed, incorrect data to or from the device".
    Doorbell software 190124. RCA iphone app says up to date. Any tips?

My doorbell faces the rising sun so dawn to almost noon is heavily washed out. Porch lights mounted out by the stairs turn people into silhouettes once they enter the porch.

12. scruzloose33

scruzloose33 n3wb

Can I safely assume that the Nelly Security version of this doorbell also has an accessible RTSP stream that can be accessed via Blue Iris? Their site implies that it won’t work with an external NVR, but I assume it is no different than the RCA firmware. Does anyone have this variant?