New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

papasan

n3wb
Reaction score
I read over this thread and didn't notice mention of the HSDB2A with IFTTT (though the HSDB1 was mentioned). does the 2A work with IFTTT? I haven't used IFTTT before but hoping I would be able to make my LANNouncer client create a doorbell chime via SmartThings and/or WebCore when the doorbell ringer is pressed. has anyone tried this?
thought I would update this in case anyone is thinking of using this unit similarly. not able to get IFTTT working as of yet, I can see the DB2 on IFTTT and setup an applet but can't seem to find any events that trigger it. emailed Ezviz support, waiting to hear back.

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thought I would update this in case anyone is thinking of using this unit similarly. not able to get IFTTT working as of yet, I can see the DB2 on IFTTT and setup an applet but can't seem to find any events that trigger it. emailed Ezviz support, waiting to hear back.
The only alarm type I have been able to trigger successfully is a PIR Event. It has a delay of 5-10 minutes for me, so it is not very useful to let you know when someone is at the door. I have the PIR event turn on/turn purple a SmartLife controlled bulb. Not sure if the delay is on Ezviz, SmartLife, IFTTT or a combo... so your mileage may vary.

metis

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't have the chance to take a packet sniffer to see what happens on the network, but if someone have the time to hack it (I don't have it right now), would be actually having a computer on the local network that acts like the server that the RCA DoorBell send events. Intercepts the packets, if the doorbell packet is received, call a script for IFTTT and such. Otherwise, forward it to the real RCA Server (for example, iOS/Android Apps).

So if I had to do it, I would go with the solution I posted earlier since I have no time to play with packets sniffers, etc. But it is doable.

Rexxiboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow! Here is my update. There is a possibility I got a lemon,
1. My unit was running hot.
2. Freezes or stops working after 2 days.
3. Returning after 2 weeks.

3. Thank you amazon prime. Got me a LAVIEW Halo. Looks like its a twin of the RCA doorbell. Except
a. The app is more responsive.
b. I found out the ONVIF is being supported from another thread.
c. My unit is not warm or hot.
d. It alerts me while I'm away with actual doorbell call. The RCA app prolly needs help and support. It gives alert but not actual call to answer or reject.
e. I have to pay extra $10 for the Laview, and it does not come with miniSD card. Got me a 128gb for $20

Bye Bye

metis

n3wb
Reaction score
Rexxiboy, glad you like your LAVIEW Halo, but beside stating you got a lemon, what's the point of your post?

I have not encountered any problems at all with mine.

1. Unit not hot.
2. App (RCA) responsive
3. Receive motion notifications
4. It alerts me when I'm away with actual 2-ways audio call that I can answer or reject.
5. Came with an SDCard but I deactivated the recording on the SDCard
6. Using a NVR to record video to an external HDD

You could have encountered the same problems with your new different brand (white labelled EZVIZ) Door Bell.

papasan

n3wb
Reaction score
The only alarm type I have been able to trigger successfully is a PIR Event. It has a delay of 5-10 minutes for me, so it is not very useful to let you know when someone is at the door. I have the PIR event turn on/turn purple a SmartLife controlled bulb. Not sure if the delay is on Ezviz, SmartLife, IFTTT or a combo... so your mileage may vary.
you're right, the PIR Event applet does work (though PIR Alarm does not appear to). as you say, there's a delay. all of the events happen on 15min increments, it seems to be a scheduled "scrape" and not an instant push so pretty much useless for notification of someone at your door.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am also not getting any notifications on my RCA doorbell using the RCA App...
I tried the LaView One app and now receive doorbell notifications!

I just upgraded from DB1 to DB2 and wanted to share my experience. Everything working much better than DB1 for initial setup. Through my DB1 experience over a year ago, I have a Ubiquiti AP right below the DB in my basement and upgraded my transformer to a 30VA unit. My DB1 has been stable for some time after sorting out those kinks.

DB2 image quality is a good improvement. Fisheye appearance works well for my use to capture floor for packages. Night video quality is much much better. I like the included wedges with DB2. I used the vertical tilt wedge and cut up a piece of wood to angle it left as well.

I have the RCA model and was unable to get doorbell notifications on my Android S9+. I enabled all permissions and reset the device a few times without any luck. I tried the LaView One app and now receive doorbell notifications! The alarm function worked on both fyi.

I was happy with DB1 video quality when lighting was good, but the call function from ringer stopped working a long time ago. Trying to connect directly through app had significant delay compared to DB2. DB1 seemed to hog bandwidth and become laggy even with the dedicated AP under it (6-8 ft). I had to tilt my mounting block a lot to get a decent view of the floor (installation looked awkward). Very rarely, I would experience missed footage from BI recording stream.

Old Laview DB1

RCA DB2 vertical tilt wedge

RCA DB2 vertical tilt wedge and scrap wood horizontal tilt porch light on

RCA DB2 vertical tilt wedge and scrap wood horizontal tilt porch light off

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Voxx support replied that no spare parts are available for purchase...

If anyone reading this is not using their horizontal wedge mount for the HSDB2 and would like to exchange it for a few freedom bucks, let me know!
PM me if you still need horizontal wedge.

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can connect to my camera with the iVMS-4200 software. I can see WDR and Backlight Compensation, although the settings never save. I get error "Data transmision failed, incorrect data to or from the device".
Doorbell software 190124. RCA iphone app says up to date. Any tips?

My doorbell faces the rising sun so dawn to almost noon is heavily washed out. Porch lights mounted out by the stairs turn people into silhouettes once they enter the porch.

Reaction score
Can I safely assume that the Nelly Security version of this doorbell also has an accessible RTSP stream that can be accessed via Blue Iris? Their site implies that it won’t work with an external NVR, but I assume it is no different than the RCA firmware. Does anyone have this variant?

Offt

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased the laview halo one a long while back.
I'm looking for a definitive what transformer and what chime (USA) is recommended - of both types people recommend.
Much thanks

cage771

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I received an RCA branded model yesterday and had time today to throw it on the bench to start configuring and testing it. It was a rather simple startup and had the device online and "talking" to the app on my phone quickly. Then it was time to integrate it into Blue Iris. I read through all 22 pages of this post as well as some others. After a few tweaks in BI as well as using iVMS and LaView NET, I have a steady video stream with audio recording in Blue Iris. Great!

Up until I tested the main purpose of this device. I want everything recorded via Blue Iris....which is why I went this route. I press the button on the doorbell, it rings to my phone quickly, and I answer it. At that point, the connection to Blue Iris drops. I can communicate and view video via the app on my phone. I end the call and then the connection to Blue Iris is regained. Odd thing, if I use the phone app to pull up the feed, the connection to BI doesn't drop. Only when a button initiated call occurs does it drop.

Have any of you experienced this? I'm running the latest firmware and app from RCA. I'm using RTSP of course. My network is beyond robust for a typical home and WiFi coverage is excellent.

Edit - I am running a 24VAC 20A transformer.

Edit 2 - This only happens in Blue Iris. In VLC, everything works as normal. If I answer a button push via the app, the stream to VLC continues to work. So now it appears that there is a setting in BI that I need to find.

Thanks!

Last edited:

katamara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can get the RCA version HSDB2A for 129.99 at Staples.com It's 149.99 and there is a $20 coupon 58071 that you can use.

I just ordered one. Now I just need a doorbell and transformer. Any suggestions for a doorbell with transformer? Should i go with a 24V transformer similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-SL-125-02-Wired-Transformer/dp/B000BQY88Iand then find a doorbell? I have no doorbell currently.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cage771

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can get the RCA version HSDB2A for 129.99 at Staples.com It's 149.99 and there is a $20 coupon 58071 that you can use.

I just ordered one. Now I just need a doorbell and transformer. Any suggestions for a doorbell with transformer? Should i go with a 24V transformer similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-SL-125-02-Wired-Transformer/dp/B000BQY88Iand then find a doorbell? I have no doorbell currently.
I am using the Heath Zenith SL-125 transformer you referred to on the bench right now. I've had no problems with it. I do not have a bell yet.....still on the hunt.

Update 6/10 - I installed it and it keeps working fine. Still no ding dong box yet. Haven't noticed as I'm the only one that has pressed the button so far.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

katamara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using the Heath Zenith SL-125 transformer you referred to on the bench right now. I've had no problems with it. I do not have a bell yet.....still on the hunt.
Thanks. I will probably end up doing the same. I'll probably get it working with the transformer first, then find a bell.

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have been watching this thread for months and purchased an RCA version a few weeks ago. Finally got to install it today and so far it's been working like a charm. Upgraded firmware to 190124 with the big RCA logo and have it setup to record from my QNAP QVR pro. It is just too bad that the QVR pro generic devices don't support anything: No motion detection, No audio. I also tried to set it up on home assistant and Monoclecam so it stream directly to the alexa device but neither worked. For Monoclecam, it is likely the rotated resolution. For Homeassistant, I think it is looking for a jpeg frame...

Edit: I made it work on Home assistant using the FFmpeg component. Now down to Monocle.

Edit2: I just discovered that the much simpler url rstp://camip/video.cgi seems to work too.

Last edited:

pix

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the LaView version, the One Halo -- I haven't been able to get the mechanical chime working unless I disconnected the power kit -- but with the power kit disabled, there was a audible hum from the chime and you could see the plunger vibrating.

I have tried rebooting the doorbell, disconnecting and reconnecting the power kit, reversing the polarity on the back of the doorbell, all with the same results. LaView technical support was not any help but what finally did solve the issue was to just wire the included resistor across the rear terminal on the chime as shown in the attachment. This wiring, with the power kit disabled has the mechanical chime working and no audible hum or vibration. Is there any risk in this configuration?

Hope you're still hanging around to read this reply…I found your post helpful so I thought I'd report back. There might not be a risk to your wiring, but this is simultaneously sending power to both the Front and Rear chimes, so you'll get a bit of a chime flurry when you ring the bell.

I just hooked up a LaView One Halo to a similar mechanical chime, with exactly your symptoms. I fixed it by switching to a 24V/20A transformer, and that was enough to power both the doorbell and the mechanical chime…it works properly now with the Power Kit installed per the instructions (you don't need the red fuse wire anymore…that's for no-chime based installs).