New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just checked out prices here of Doorbird on Amazon and it's still pricey at $400 plus USD.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
500 bucks for a 480p cloud based camera. Apple's philosophy. Total madness. I hope you find another guy who embraces that philosophy.

What was the value proposition to justify 500 bucks? Did it clean the pool too? :)
I bought it cause of it said on their webpage it had 720HD and I thought ok, thats good enough for a doorbell, and it got native onvif, SIP, POE, twoway, local API and everything we can dream of, except the camera can only stream in 480P. Also when I looked at the webpage it didnt look that big, but its huge, like huge I could put both my hands over it and barely cover it

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought it cause of it said on their webpage it had 720HD and I thought ok, thats good enough for a doorbell, and it got native onvif, SIP, POE, twoway, local API and everything we can dream of, except the camera can only stream in 480P. Also when I looked at the webpage it didnt look that big, but its huge, like huge I could put both my hands over it and barely cover it
Yeah the SIP support was a big plus for these DBs. Also of course quality being German made.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
500 bucks for a 480p cloud based camera. Apple's philosophy. Total madness. I hope you find another guy who embraces that philosophy.

What was the value proposition to justify 500 bucks? Did it clean the pool too? :)
That is just their starting price :) Their Commercial DBs are way up there.

1594317016788.png

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, they are expensive, so I guess mine, "new" in a box will pay off this doorbell change easily. Actually it was the WAF that requested to dismount the doorbell. I get hell for doing a smart home, but when the WAF likes something, then suddenly it has to be the best. When I want something its just complaining about using too much money on smart stuff. I almost had to beg for weeks buying 5 cameras for the house, but when the WAF wanted cameras for monitoring some animals (turtioise hatching) then I got a go for 5 4k cameras just for filming some frikking eggs

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, they are expensive, so I guess mine, "new" in a box will pay off this doorbell change easily. Actually it was the WAF that requested to dismount the doorbell. I get hell for doing a smart home, but when the WAF likes something, then suddenly it has to be the best. When I want something its just complaining about using too much money on smart stuff. I almost had to beg for weeks buying 5 cameras for the house, but when the WAF wanted cameras for monitoring some animals (turtioise hatching) then I got a go for 5 4k cameras just for filming some frikking eggs
Not sure this helps but I would assume you would get your best price selling online:

Just beware things have changed in April 2020 for you guys, that is if someone outside of Norway buys from you.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure this helps but I would assume you would get your best price selling online:

Just beware things have changed in April 2020 for you guys, that is if someone outside of Norway buys from you.

We have something like craigslist here that is dominant for selling and buying. A horrible place as when you put it out its always 10 people trying to haggle at 50-80% of the asking price - thats just annoying

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys - Is there some odd setting that disables the Chime power on the DB?

My Mechanical Door Chime no longer gets voltage from the DB2... after working fine on both DB1 and now DB2 for 2 years.

Transformer is at 19.4VAC at the mechanical chime.
9vdc battery will trigger the Chime just fine.

The DB2 seems to work fine: music rings when button pushed, LED indicator light ison, IR works, and connects to wifi/app, no issues.

any ideas? ... thx!

Last edited:

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I received the EZVIZ DB1 today and for the life of me I can't get it to connect to my wifi to finish the setup. I've hooked up it up to chime, powered on the DB1 (flashing blue) and everything looks ok. Able to scan the QR code, but once I am at "Select your Router Wi-Fi" this is where I am stuck. I am an IT guy myself and have plenty of other smart devices at home including ones outdoor that are connected. My wifi reception is not the greatest but where the DB1 is I can connect my iphone to 2.4 or 5ghz. My router settings are fine as I work with systems and servers at work everyday so I know how DHCP and everything about my router. It has plenty of IPs to give. So here is my question.

When it ask for "Select your Router Wifi" I select my 2.4 or 5ghz ssid and then on the same screen it ask for password. I've tried my wifi pasword as well as the DB1 password (no luck). When I select my home wifi and go back to "connect to the EZVIZ" device", and click next then it ask me that EZVIZ wants to Join Wifi-Network "EZVIZ_XXXXXXXXX". Then I click Join. It will say "Connecting to Wifi" and then "Setting" with the spinning wheel and that's it. I never get to the screen where it goes from 0 - 100 percent. What am I doing wrong?

I have reset it so many times, even flip the circuit breaker off and on a few times. Even took the DB1 out and switch the wires in the back. It's flashing blue so I would think power is fine. Does my router have to be like right next to this device to work? I have smart light bubls running 2.4ghz that is further outside my house with no issue. Any help would be appreciated. I even try another iphone with the same issue. Also, rebooted my router a few times. I have about 16 other wifi things connected to my router with no issue.

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Weird issue. I have Nelly’s branded DB and running the latest fw. I’ve set WDR before but when I wanted to tweak it a little tonight iVMS-4200 would not bring up the CCD section. I restarted the application and still nothing. I then rebooted the db and opened iVMS back up and CCD section was present. I went into the WDR settings and iVMS crashed. I reloaded the application a couple times, rebooted the db a couple times but CCD options never came back up. I’m on a Mac and the Batch Tool has never shown or allowed me to get to configuration settings. Anyone ever experienced this?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I received the EZVIZ DB1 today and for the life of me I can't get it to connect to my wifi to finish the setup. I've hooked up it up to chime, powered on the DB1 (flashing blue) and everything looks ok. Able to scan the QR code, but once I am at "Select your Router Wi-Fi" this is where I am stuck. I am an IT guy myself and have plenty of other smart devices at home including ones outdoor that are connected. My wifi reception is not the greatest but where the DB1 is I can connect my iphone to 2.4 or 5ghz. My router settings are fine as I work with systems and servers at work everyday so I know how DHCP and everything about my router. It has plenty of IPs to give. So here is my question.

When it ask for "Select your Router Wifi" I select my 2.4 or 5ghz ssid and then on the same screen it ask for password. I've tried my wifi pasword as well as the DB1 password (no luck). When I select my home wifi and go back to "connect to the EZVIZ" device", and click next then it ask me that EZVIZ wants to Join Wifi-Network "EZVIZ_XXXXXXXXX". Then I click Join. It will say "Connecting to Wifi" and then "Setting" with the spinning wheel and that's it. I never get to the screen where it goes from 0 - 100 percent. What am I doing wrong?

I have reset it so many times, even flip the circuit breaker off and on a few times. Even took the DB1 out and switch the wires in the back. It's flashing blue so I would think power is fine. Does my router have to be like right next to this device to work? I have smart light bubls running 2.4ghz that is further outside my house with no issue. Any help would be appreciated. I even try another iphone with the same issue. Also, rebooted my router a few times. I have about 16 other wifi things connected to my router with no issue.

it's not seeing the wifi very well.

I had a friend who was having similar issue with it so I brought over a different wifi access point and it connected instantly on it.

I would do a hard reset and try again but I am betting it the wifi signal.

But If you are like getting less than half a wifi bar on your phone where doorbell is then I am sure it not strong enough to be pick up by the doorbell weak antenna .. You need almost a full wifi bar on the phone for the doorbell to at least pick it up.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it's not seeing the wifi very well.

I had a friend who was having similar issue with it so I brought over a different wifi access point and it connected instantly on it.

I would do a hard reset and try again but I am betting it the wifi signal.

But If you are like getting less than half a wifi bar on your phone where doorbell is then I am sure it not strong enough to be pick up by the doorbell weak antenna .. You need almost a full wifi bar on the phone for the doorbell to at least pick it up.
5ghz I don't get that many bars but 2.4ghz i get just about full bars with the iphone. I have a mobile hotspot and I even had that right next to the doorbell and it wouldn't connect to the mobile hotspot. Do I have to change any settings within the app?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
5ghz I don't get that many bars but 2.4ghz i get just about full bars with the iphone. I have a mobile hotspot and I even had that right next to the doorbell and it wouldn't connect to the mobile hotspot. Do I have to change any settings within the app?
No you shouldn't need to change anything yet until the DB1 is connect to wifi first

Hard reset and restart the app back to step 1 on installing DB1 again if you are sure it got a signal to DB1 location

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If I recalled correctly, you connect the phone wifi to the doorbell wifi first in app then have it connect to your home wifi .. the app will tell you what exactly to do step by step .. you will need to get the passcode for db1 to connect to it on your phone in your manual

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just "forget the " DB1 wifi password, then connect it first and then switch over to home wifi and it's the same issue. I've pressed that reset button at least 6 or 7 times today. This is driving me insane. It should be a very simple setup.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just "forget the " DB1 wifi password, then connect it first and then switch over to home wifi and it's the same issue. I've pressed that reset button at least 6 or 7 times today. This is driving me insane. It should be a very simple setup.
The app needs only the wifi password to your WLAN, the password to connect to the integrated AP initially is taken from the QR code. When it tells you to select wifi it means it already connected to the doorbell (your iphone connects to the AP of the doorbell) and now it's configuring it but it needs to configure the wifi client of the doorbell so it can connect to your home WLAN after the configuration. So it needs to know which WLAN and the pw. The security on the router should be WPA2-PSK.

On your router, security, make sure you didn't activate WPA3, PMF, and new fancy wifi security stuff. Do you have MAC address security enabled? That is a feature to allow only known MAC addresses connect to the wifi.

Try configuring it not with an iOS device. Do you have an android phone/tablet to do it? Just to make sure it's not the iPhone.

brad_g

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These doorbells do not have the best radios in the world. It sounds as if your phone sees the WiFi okay, but the doorbell radio is not able to receive it. I set up the doorbell on my workbench with my Access Port sitting right next to it. Then I installed the doorbell and experimented with where I had to set the AP in order for things to keep working. Also, be sure to connect the DB to the 2.5GHz channel, since that travels better through walls, etc.

Two other comments. First, be sure you have a very strong WiFi signal if you are going to change the firmware on your doorbell. If you don't you risk corrupting the doorbell during the upgrade. The second comment is that if you load the HikVision FW, it will show you WiFi signal strength. This can help you locate your AP so that it is out of the way but you have enough signal at the DB.

Let us know how this goes.

brad_g

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try configuring it not with an iOS device. Do you have an android phone/tablet to do it? Just to make sure it's not the iPhone.
It is also possible to connect to the DB with a windows laptop running the Hikvision Batch Config tool. You can switch the SSID the DB is trying to connect to using the Batch tool. This works best if you weld the MAC address of the DB to a specific IP address offered by the WiFi router. If it helps, if I remember correctly, after a reset, the doorbell comes up as 192.168.8.64 on its own internal WiFi.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Guys - Is there some odd setting that disables the Chime power on the DB?

My Mechanical Door Chime no longer gets voltage from the DB2... after working fine on both DB1 and now DB2 for 2 years.

Transformer is at 19.4VAC at the mechanical chime.
9vdc battery will trigger the Chime just fine.

The DB2 seems to work fine: music rings when button pushed, LED indicator light ison, IR works, and connects to wifi/app, no issues.

any ideas? ... thx!
Yes, the chime has been disabled for some reason, and in the ezviz mobile app latest version, they removed the possibility to reconfigure the chime and enable it AFTER the first configuration.

Install Guarding Vision mobile app from playstore, and in the options you'll find chime settings,enable it and configure it again.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is also possible to connect to the DB with a windows laptop running the Hikvision Batch Config tool. You can switch the SSID the DB is trying to connect to using the Batch tool. This works best if you weld the MAC address of the DB to a specific IP address offered by the WiFi router. If it helps, if I remember correctly, after a reset, the doorbell comes up as 192.168.8.64 on its own internal WiFi.
The doorbell has an integrated AP functionality, that the app uses it initially to connect to configure it. you can use batch config to connect the doorbell to the WLAN. But first let's see if it's the iphone or some settings on the router.

Otherwise he can try to connect to the AP with the PC, access it through batch config, and configure the wifi of the doorbell to connect to home WLAN from there. But that wouldn't explain why the mobile app is not doing the same thing. :)