New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

brad_g

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The doorbell has an integrated AP functionality, that the app uses it initially to connect to configure it. you can use batch config to connect the doorbell to the WLAN. But first let's see if it's the iphone or some settings on the router.

Otherwise he can try to connect to the AP with the PC, access it through batch config, and configure the wifi of the doorbell to connect to home WLAN from there. But that wouldn't explain why the mobile app is not doing the same thing. :)
Agreed. Easiest is to use the app. FWIW, I use iOS to configure my DB without issue.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
These doorbells do not have the best radios in the world. It sounds as if your phone sees the WiFi okay, but the doorbell radio is not able to receive it. I set up the doorbell on my workbench with my Access Port sitting right next to it. Then I installed the doorbell and experimented with where I had to set the AP in order for things to keep working. Also, be sure to connect the DB to the 2.5GHz channel, since that travels better through walls, etc.

Two other comments. First, be sure you have a very strong WiFi signal if you are going to change the firmware on your doorbell. If you don't you risk corrupting the doorbell during the upgrade. The second comment is that if you load the HikVision FW, it will show you WiFi signal strength. This can help you locate your AP so that it is out of the way but you have enough signal at the DB.

Let us know how this goes.
Very good advices. First configure the doorbell inside, next to the pc. Once everything's working like it should, place it in the final spot. I did this for 3 weeks while I was "learning" how the DB1 worked and reading this thread. So I could easily turn off power (connected with a 24V AC old brick I used for the sprinkler's valves.

Doing this will allow you to understand if you have wifi distance issues or power issues or other problems not related to the camera. Regarding the firmware upgrade via wifi: this is a problem when a device is not designed to be upgrade via wifi. This camera is. So it's not something I would be worried about. The doorbell needs a good connection though, in order to work properly and to be responsive.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I received the EZVIZ DB1 today and for the life of me I can't get it to connect to my wifi to finish the setup. I've hooked up it up to chime, powered on the DB1 (flashing blue) and everything looks ok. Able to scan the QR code, but once I am at "Select your Router Wi-Fi" this is where I am stuck. I am an IT guy myself and have plenty of other smart devices at home including ones outdoor that are connected. My wifi reception is not the greatest but where the DB1 is I can connect my iphone to 2.4 or 5ghz. My router settings are fine as I work with systems and servers at work everyday so I know how DHCP and everything about my router. It has plenty of IPs to give. So here is my question.

When it ask for "Select your Router Wifi" I select my 2.4 or 5ghz ssid and then on the same screen it ask for password. I've tried my wifi pasword as well as the DB1 password (no luck). When I select my home wifi and go back to "connect to the EZVIZ" device", and click next then it ask me that EZVIZ wants to Join Wifi-Network "EZVIZ_XXXXXXXXX". Then I click Join. It will say "Connecting to Wifi" and then "Setting" with the spinning wheel and that's it. I never get to the screen where it goes from 0 - 100 percent. What am I doing wrong?

I have reset it so many times, even flip the circuit breaker off and on a few times. Even took the DB1 out and switch the wires in the back. It's flashing blue so I would think power is fine. Does my router have to be like right next to this device to work? I have smart light bubls running 2.4ghz that is further outside my house with no issue. Any help would be appreciated. I even try another iphone with the same issue. Also, rebooted my router a few times. I have about 16 other wifi things connected to my router with no issue.
So I am away so I have not had a chance to read all the messages but wanted to throw in how this helped a family Member. He was in your boat where the App would never complete install/setup and hang at your same spot so I had him try a different App and it worked. Don't ask me how/why but he was able to complete setup.
Try LaView ONE App or Hik-Connect, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Weird issue. I have Nelly’s branded DB and running the latest fw. I’ve set WDR before but when I wanted to tweak it a little tonight iVMS-4200 would not bring up the CCD section. I restarted the application and still nothing. I then rebooted the db and opened iVMS back up and CCD section was present. I went into the WDR settings and iVMS crashed. I reloaded the application a couple times, rebooted the db a couple times but CCD options never came back up. I’m on a Mac and the Batch Tool has never shown or allowed me to get to configuration settings. Anyone ever experienced this?
I ended up getting CCD settings back back refreshing way more times than usual.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Weird issue. I have Nelly’s branded DB and running the latest fw. I’ve set WDR before but when I wanted to tweak it a little tonight iVMS-4200 would not bring up the CCD section. I restarted the application and still nothing. I then rebooted the db and opened iVMS back up and CCD section was present. I went into the WDR settings and iVMS crashed. I reloaded the application a couple times, rebooted the db a couple times but CCD options never came back up. I’m on a Mac and the Batch Tool has never shown or allowed me to get to configuration settings. Anyone ever experienced this?
This issue is not your Doorbell, this is a well known problem with iVMS-4200 software, CCD option comes and go, sometimes I can get it back by hitting Refresh several times.
But most of us use Batch Config Tool.
You may try EZVIZ Studio, it has Batch Config Tool built in.

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You may try EZVIZ Studio, it has Batch Config Tool built in.

I do not see a link for that on 101, do you know where I can find that? Also, was this board recently added to Tapatalk, I looked for it awhile back but could not find it.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The app needs only the wifi password to your WLAN, the password to connect to the integrated AP initially is taken from the QR code. When it tells you to select wifi it means it already connected to the doorbell (your iphone connects to the AP of the doorbell) and now it's configuring it but it needs to configure the wifi client of the doorbell so it can connect to your home WLAN after the configuration. So it needs to know which WLAN and the pw. The security on the router should be WPA2-PSK.

On your router, security, make sure you didn't activate WPA3, PMF, and new fancy wifi security stuff. Do you have MAC address security enabled? That is a feature to allow only known MAC addresses connect to the wifi.

Try configuring it not with an iOS device. Do you have an android phone/tablet to do it? Just to make sure it's not the iPhone.
Thank you SIR. OMG. I tried it on 2 different iphones and it didn't work. Tried it on my Android tablet and it worked. Why? Why? Why? After it's added from the android tablet now I see it on my iphone.

I also can't get it to work with 5GHZ. Had to set it up with 2.4GHZ but when I am by doorbell 5GHZ works on my iphone so not sure why it wouldn't work. The doorbell must need very good connectivity. The bad part is I wanted to stream it on my NAS surveillance station (have not gotten to that yet) so 2.4GHZ is too slow and laggy (I may need a new router).

I noticed the alarm area detection is not too accurate. I see it for 9ft (3m) and a car is at least 15 feet away or more and it still picks it up. If I use 5ft (1.5m) then it only picks up people when they are very close to the doorbell.

The advised 3MP running at 2048 resolution I think isn't all that clear. I feel it's not even on par with typical HD 1920 resolution.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you SIR. OMG. I tried it on 2 different iphones and it didn't work. Tried it on my Android tablet and it worked. Why? Why? Why? After it's added from the android tablet now I see it on my iphone.

I also can't get it to work with 5GHZ. Had to set it up with 2.4GHZ but when I am by doorbell 5GHZ works on my iphone so not sure why it wouldn't work. The doorbell must need very good connectivity. The bad part is I wanted to stream it on my NAS surveillance station (have not gotten to that yet) so 2.4GHZ is too slow and laggy (I may need a new router).

I noticed the alarm area detection is not too accurate. I see it for 9ft (3m) and a car is at least 15 feet away or more and it still picks it up. If I use 5ft (1.5m) then it only picks up people when they are very close to the doorbell.

The advised 3MP running at 2048 resolution I think isn't all that clear. I feel it's not even on par with typical HD 1920 resolution.
if you own the home, I would look into an access point instead of a router and mount it in hallway ceiling. I have two of those in my home for 3 years and never once had any issue at all on any of the wifi devices. All our streaming and gaming box thrives on it.

With this AP, you would just disabled the wifi on your router and plug the AP into your router port. it meant for commercial uses but you can download an app to set it up in standalone mode to use it with your router.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you own the home, I would look into an access point instead of a router and mount it in hallway ceiling. I have two of those in my home for 3 years and never once had any issue at all on any of the wifi devices. All our streaming and gaming box thrives on it.

With this AP, you would just disabled the wifi on your router and plug the AP into your router port. it meant for commercial uses but you can download an app to set it up in standalone mode to use it with your router.
I was thinking about a wifi 6 router with very strong coverage like this one.
I walked out to my house and as soon as I get close to the doorbell it "beeps" assuming thats when it starts recording. I see "outdoor bell sound" on the app. Is that it? I also connected my mechanical chime with the small white thingy that came with the doorbell but when I press DB1 it only rings the DB1 (not my mechanical chime). Do you know why?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I was thinking about a wifi 6 router with very strong coverage like this one.
I walked out to my house and as soon as I get close to the doorbell it "beeps" assuming thats when it starts recording. I see "outdoor bell sound" on the app. Is that it? I also connected my mechanical chime with the small white thingy that came with the doorbell but when I press DB1 it only rings the DB1 (not my mechanical chime). Do you know why?
Yes the EZVIZ firmware / app is the only one you can disable the outside sound bell if you want it off.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it "outdoor bell sound" that stops the beep when it senses people?
I believe so .. I am not using ezviz app right now. I am pissed at eziviz about the mic enabled when answering doorbell so I am using guarding vision app until they either disable it again or I find a new doorbell to replace it with.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe so .. I am not using ezviz app right now. I am pissed at eziviz about the mic enabled when answering doorbell so I am using guarding vision app until they either disable it again or I find a new doorbell to replace it with.
Did you flash it with a different firmware? What's the issue with mic enabled?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you flash it with a different firmware? What's the issue with mic enabled?
No, it's still using the default latest EZVIZ firmware.

EZVIZ made the change on the latest app where it automatically enable the microphone when you answer the doorbell call on your phone and the doorbell sometime make a clicking sound and if you had background sound where you are answering the doorbell, the person who rang the doorbell will know instantly that you are watching them by hearing your background sound.

On the previous version, you could screen the doorbell to see who is at the door before turning on the mic to talk to them or just ignore it and close the screen.

My kids use the app on tablet mounted on the wall to screen who at the door before answering it but now with the latest app, visitor at the door can hear cartoon playing on TV in background etc. I had to switch over to Guarding Vision app.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, it's still using the default latest EZVIZ firmware.

EZVIZ made the change on the latest app where it automatically enable the microphone when you answer the doorbell call on your phone and the doorbell sometime make a clicking sound and if you had background sound where you are answering the doorbell, the person who rang the doorbell will know instantly that you are watching them by hearing your background sound.

On the previous version, you could screen the doorbell to see who is at the door before turning on the mic to talk to them or just ignore it and close the screen.

My kids use the app on tablet mounted on the wall to screen who at the door before answering it but now with the latest app, visitor at the door can hear cartoon playing on TV in background etc. I had to switch over to Guarding Vision app.
Interesting. Guarding vision is free app? So you add the camera to the guarding vision app?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting. Guarding vision is free app? So you add the camera to the guarding vision app?
After you set up the camera with its oringal app and create an account on it, you can remove the app and download Guarding Vision then sign in with the same username and password from the other app. EZVIZ, Guarding Vision, and Hik-Connect can share the same username and password but you can only have one app logged in at a time or you will get a warning so I would uninstall the app before trying other ones.

Hik-Connect app also auto-enable the mic when answering the ring.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After you set up the camera with its oringal app and create an account on it, you can remove the app and download Guarding Vision then sign in with the same username and password from the other app. EZVIZ, Guarding Vision, and Hik-Connect can share the same username and password but you can only have one app logged in at a time or you will get a warning so I would uninstall the app before trying other ones.

Hik-Connect app also auto-enable the mic when answering the ring.
Good to know. Thanks!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not see a link for that on 101, do you know where I can find that? Also, was this board recently added to Tapatalk, I looked for it awhile back but could not find it.

I thought I had it in the 101, will add it, thank you...