New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up following this and got it to work. I tried the SSH method and couldn't get it work.

Skinah

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, really hope this is the answer to fix bricks...I will include it in our 101...Thanks for the share...
Yes I hope it helps others out as I saw that there was no known fixes in the 101 guide.
Hopefully they add a web interface for changing settings with instead of the need for the apps and they give the ability to change the resolution / aspect ratio to a wider range of choices.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now I just need some help on getting the chime to work.
So to start with the basics, what transformer do you have? Are you in the US, 10019 New York? Back to transformers, we have a good read in our 101 in the Install Tips section explaining problems if you do not have the right size transformer.
What type is your Chime, Mech. or Electronic (Digital)? Have you checked the voltage at your Chime and Doorbell?
When you setup your Doorbell, if you used the EZVIZ App, it will ask you to pick a Chime.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I hope it helps others out as I saw that there was no known fixes in the 101 guide.
Hopefully they add a web interface for changing settings with instead of the need for the apps and they give the ability to change the resolution / aspect ratio to a wider range of choices.
With this being a Hikvision with no web interface only access is through their tools:

From 101:
⦁ Software (Windows) used to configure Doorbell include: iVMS-4200 (I personally like version 2 legacy), Batch Configuration Tool (BC Tool 101 Help).
iVMS-4200 for MAC, Batch Configuration Tool for MAC
(NOTE: In the Batch Config. Tool, If your Doorbell shows Offline hit Refresh to bring it Online, Sometimes in iVMS-4200 the CCD section does not show up.)

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So to start with the basics, what transformer do you have? Are you in the US, 10019 New York? Back to transformers, we have a good read in our 101 in the Install Tips section explaining problems if you do not have the right size transformer.
What type is your Chime, Mech. or Electronic (Digital)? Have you checked the voltage at your Chime and Doorbell?
When you setup your Doorbell, if you used the EZVIZ App, it will ask you to pick a Chime.
Yes in New York. I don't know where the transformer is in the house to be honest. Mechanical chime. Yes, I've checked the voltage prior to installing the doorbell. It ranges from around 16 to 20. Yes, I picked mechanical chime during installation.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes in New York. I don't know where the transformer is in the house to be honest. Mechanical chime. Yes, I've checked the voltage prior to installing the doorbell. It ranges from around 16 to 20. Yes, I picked mechanical chime during installation.
So more than likely you have a 16v 10va transformer. What happens is under load 10va is usually not enough to handle the Doorbell and Mech. Chime (When the Doorbell Button is Pressed). By pressing the button you are actually creating a temporary short. If one were to hold the button down long enough good chances are they would burn out the transformer.
This is why most of us change it to a 30va or 40va to handle the extra load created when we installed the Smart Doorbell.

From 101:
For Mechanical Chimes, here is a video to help explain transformers:
16v 10va vs. 16v 30va Doorbell Transformer

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So more than likely you have a 16v 10va transformer. What happens is under load 10va is usually not enough to handle the Doorbell and Mech. Chime (When the Doorbell Button is Pressed). By pressing the button you are actually creating a temporary short. If one were to hold the button down long enough good chances are they would burn out the transformer.
This is why most of us change it to a 30va or 40va to handle the extra load created when we installed the Smart Doorbell.

From 101:
For Mechanical Chimes, here is a video to help explain transformers:
16v 10va vs. 16v 30va Doorbell Transformer
ARGGGGGGGGH! That's not good. Someone can be pressing the doorbell all day and I wouldn't know if I don't have the phone with me at home.

Can the app be set so it notifies multiples phones in the house?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ARGGGGGGGGH! That's not good. Someone can be pressing the doorbell all day and I wouldn't know if I don't have the phone with me at home.

Can the app be set so it notifies multiples phones in the house?
Pretty much all Smart Doorbells needs their transformer replaced, it is actually very easy to do, once you find yours. FYI, the Doorbell has it's own Chime and it is loud.

Yes you can have the App on several phones. I did not do the share account thing, I login in my wife's phone App with same login, only thing is when someone rings door bell both of our phones gets the call.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone running the EZVIZ on 5GHZ instead of 2.4GHZ? If yes, is the live view smoother, etc?
I have tried both, it is up to your Router/AP/Network, I kept mine at 2.4 for better connectivity, in my case. Some will debate this though. No difference in viewing live for either radio band for me.
One word of advice, radio interference, well two words :) I would make sure your Router/AP is on a different channel than your neighbors.

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone running the EZVIZ on 5GHZ instead of 2.4GHZ? If yes, is the live view smoother, etc?
I had a bit of trouble with this, until i figured out my router at 2.4 was only at 144Mbps which gave me dropout problems, my 5.0 was faster but does not travel well, so i ended up buying some TP Deco's and setting up AP all over the house now the doorbell is on that network and is solid, now i get 300Mbps all over the house on wifi, i also left the DB on medium settings of around 150.0kB/s rather than capping it out at 260.0kB/s on full 25fps and best quality. I found no difference in the picture quality either.

The transformer is vital, i had 4 weeks of thinking it would be ok until i learned the lesson.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have tried both, it is up to your Router/AP/Network, I kept mine at 2.4 for better connectivity, in my case. Some will debate this though. No difference in viewing live for either radio band for me.
One word of advice, radio interference, well two words :) I would make sure your Router/AP is on a different channel than your neighbors.
At the moment the channel is set to auto as everything seems fine. I have it streaming on 2.4ghz to my Qnap surveillance station. I ran out of license with my Synology surveillance station and debating if I should pay $50+ for a license which is absurd but the Synology one runs better than the Qnap one in my opinion. I just created an account for my wife and then you can grant the other account permissions (alarm, two way audio, doorbell call etc) so if you do it this way you can turn it off for her if she doesn't want it to ring on her phone.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a bit of trouble with this, until i figured out my router at 2.4 was only at 144Mbps which gave me dropout problems, my 5.0 was faster but does not travel well, so i ended up buying some TP Deco's and setting up AP all over the house now the doorbell is on that network and is solid, now i get 300Mbps all over the house on wifi, i also left the DB on medium settings of around 150.0kB/s rather than capping it out at 260.0kB/s on full 25fps and best quality. I found no difference in the picture quality either.

The transformer is vital, i had 4 weeks of thinking it would be ok until i learned the lesson.
What's the vital lesson you referring to?

Where is the "medium settings" you referring to? On the EZVIZ app? There is only setting for Ultra HD, HD, etc.

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's the vital lesson you referring to?

Where is the "medium settings" you referring to? On the EZVIZ app? There is only setting for Ultra HD, HD, etc.
The lesson of making sure your transformer is powerful enough, 30vA.

The settings i refer to are not in the app, but in the batch configuration pages, that is where you can tweak the quality of the image.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The lesson of making sure your transformer is powerful enough, 30vA.

The settings i refer to are not in the app, but in the batch configuration pages, that is where you can tweak the quality of the image.
So what's going to happen if it's not? As mines is under 20v. Hmmm I remember reading the batch config too in 101. Is it easy to tweak it?

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what's going to happen if it's not? As mines is under 20v. Hmmm I remember reading the batch config too in 101. Is it easy to tweak it?
Your confusing the volts v, with the voltamps vA, you ideally need around 16v but 30vA, if your transformer is only 16v but 10vA then the doorbell is not going to get enough power, especially when you press the chime, if you imagine a dimmer switch on a light and you turn it down to say 10vA then it will work but be on dim, then up to full 30vA and it will be on full brightness/power.

Maybe @alexdelprete or @David L may be able to explain it better for you.

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could use acrylicwifi ( for windows) to see how several channels are occupied at the position of the db. I use a dedicated AP for the DB on a dedicated channel.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your confusing the volts v, with the voltamps vA, you ideally need around 16v but 30vA, if your transformer is only 16v but 10vA then the doorbell is not going to get enough power, especially when you press the chime, if you imagine a dimmer switch on a light and you turn it down to say 10vA then it will work but be on dim, then up to full 30vA and it will be on full brightness/power.

Maybe @alexdelprete or @David L may be able to explain it better for you.
I like your Dimmer analogy. Low Light, Low Ring :) No, I think you hit the nail on the head with your post...The video I shared has been the best way to explain the extra load factor with these Doorbells, how the voltage will drop when the Doorbell Button is pressed and how in order to sustain the required voltage for the Smart Doorbell to continue to operate correctly you need the proper Amperage from the power source (transformer).

When one reads other Smart Doorbell Forums, RIng, Nest, etc. they all share our same issue. Amazon is loaded, load :), with replacement transformers.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could use acrylicwifi ( for windows) to see how several channels are occupied at the position of the db. I use a dedicated AP for the DB on a dedicated channel.
Too funny, I have using them for several years on my laptops. For my phones, tablets, I use WiFi Analzer by Keuwlsoft

1594491108601.png1594491134019.png