New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I checked (see attachment) ... not there. Maybe you have a diff version of the app? Mine is from May 21 v4.4.0.0522, then I uninstalled and tried the older v4.1.0.0304 & v3.9.1.0815 ... not there either?

btw, thanks for helping... you are rock!
I have v4.5.0.0711. What camera do you have? Laview? What firmware?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have TP-Link AC1750. I'll check on the resolution portion from 101.

For NAS SS, I've created the Ezviz-DB1.conf file but if I go to add camera I don't see the Ezviz-DB1 on the drop down. Do you know why?
Ezviz db1 with ezviz firmware doesn't provide ONVIF functionality. You must configure it manually, with RTSP links.

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have v4.5.0.0711. What camera do you have? Laview? What firmware?
RCA HSDB2
Laview FW: 5.2.4 bld 190716
Tried most Android apps, currently: Ezviz (latest version), Guarding vision (several versions) -- and tried Laview & RCA (cant get either to see the cam or allow me to login) & Hik (sees the cam fine)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
RCA HSDB2
Laview FW: 5.2.4 bld 190716
Tried most Android apps, currently: Ezviz (latest version), Guarding vision (several versions) -- and tried Laview & RCA (cant get either to see the cam or allow me to login) & Hik (sees the cam fine)
Try removing it from the app, resetting it, and start configuration from scratch. When you add the doorbell, the wizard of the app should ask if you have a chime and what type of chime (mechanical or electronic).

When you configured it the first time, do you remember if it asked you about the chime type?

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try removing it from the app, resetting it, and start configuration from scratch. When you add the doorbell, the wizard of the app should ask if you have a chime and what type of chime (mechanical or electronic).

When you configured it the first time, do you remember if it asked you about the chime type?
I just installed Guarding Vision update to the latest ver... still not there.

Will do. I like the Ezvizapp best - seems to be the most consistent and fills the screen with the image.

I do remember it asking long ago... I'll try removing from the app before resetting.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So more than likely you have a 16v 10va transformer. What happens is under load 10va is usually not enough to handle the Doorbell and Mech. Chime (When the Doorbell Button is Pressed). By pressing the button you are actually creating a temporary short. If one were to hold the button down long enough good chances are they would burn out the transformer.
This is why most of us change it to a 30va or 40va to handle the extra load created when we installed the Smart Doorbell.

From 101:
For Mechanical Chimes, here is a video to help explain transformers:
16v 10va vs. 16v 30va Doorbell Transformer
Since I don't have a more powerful transformer should i disconnect the EZVIZ power kit and wires from the chime? Or just leave it as is? Or it has to be in there to power the doorbell?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since I don't have a more powerful transformer should i disconnect the EZVIZ power kit and wires from the chime? Or just leave it as is? Or it has to be in there to power the doorbell?
We are just assuming you have a standard trans. You will need to find it to verify what size it is. I would leave as is, the power kit is needed when connected to a Chime, regardless of what type of transformer one has.
Here is another issue that pops up with the standard trans., you may experience random reboots, WiFi disconnects, loss of RTSP streaming. Not to say any of this will happen to you but just be aware if you have these issues, more than likely it is because the Doorbell is under powered.
Have you tried another App, to check Mech. Chime option? EZVIZ App sucks now that they took that option away after install. They also defaulted Mic On when receiving a Button Press Call.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We are just assuming you have a standard trans. You will need to find it to verify what size it is. I would leave as is, the power kit is needed when connected to a Chime, regardless of what type of transformer one has.
Here is another issue that pops up with the standard trans., you may experience random reboots, WiFi disconnects, loss of RTSP streaming. Not to say any of this will happen to you but just be aware if you have these issues, more than likely it is because the Doorbell is under powered.
Have you tried another App, to check Mech. Chime option? EZVIZ App sucks now that they took that option away after install. They also defaulted Mic On when receiving a Button Press Call.
Got it. I have been streaming the DB1 live and recording continously on the QNAP nas. I do see some disconnects according to the logs (a few seconds here and there) but doorbell didn't reboot or anything. It may be the 2.4ghz signal that is weak. I tried the Guardian vision app (I think you mentioned it) but don't see any options about mechanical chime. I am not too concern about the button press call. Chances are when someone rings it's UPS/Fedex so I won't even be talking to them. I may just pull up the live view to see who it is. Maybe I'll leave the audio communication for "trick or treat" season LOL.

RandomBit

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick post to thank all of the contributors on this thread. I finally got everthing setup the way I want for now. Its a meager setup compared to some of the envious descriptions here. A dome and a doorbell cam covering the street side of our home connected through Motioneye on a Docker container. Post 101 was a great help (thank you @David L ), including all of the links to others' contributions.

Also a quick shout out to Kyle, Mason, and the support team at Nelly's Security. They were a great help and went the extra mile to help with a shipping issue with the doorbell cam.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got it. I have been streaming the DB1 live and recording continously on the QNAP nas. I do see some disconnects according to the logs (a few seconds here and there) but doorbell didn't reboot or anything. It may be the 2.4ghz signal that is weak. I tried the Guardian vision app (I think you mentioned it) but don't see any options about mechanical chime. I am not too concern about the button press call. Chances are when someone rings it's UPS/Fedex so I won't even be talking to them. I may just pull up the live view to see who it is. Maybe I'll leave the audio communication for "trick or treat" season LOL.
So do you have a SmartThings or Hubitat hub? If so, you may want to look into the Sage Sensor, many here use it, it connects to your Chime, it is $5 on eBay and it is perfect to get notifications or announcements via Google/Alexa when Doorbell Button is pressed. It is a ZigBee device so your hub would need to be in good range of the Sensor/Chime.

Very Easy to install, just like the power kit:
⦁ Sage Sensor - TechBill - alexdelprete - TechBill - Techbill's Forum/Thread (Sage with SmartThings)

If no hub you can also use a reed switch, see 101 for info since there are several out there..Just sharing...

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The powerkit should ALWAYS be used, in my experience. It's a voltage regulator/stabilizer. I don't use a traditional chime, but in my case, without the power-kit, the SAGE sensor doesn't work without it. So "use it" is my advice. :)

tommyd75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here’s something I’ve noticed with this doorbell camera. I’m using the EZVIZ app and if I’m not connecting via WiFi from inside the house my live view connects but then freezes the image.
If I turn on my VPN the video connects right away. I’m using a Ubiquiti Gateway 3P and Ubiquiti AP-AC-PRO pro series access point. It’s weird at first I thought it was my WiFi but I’ve confirmed it. I don’t have any port forwarding enabled or UPnP enabled. I noticed that it’s an option I can turn on the camera if I connect with iVMS and check the settings. Has anyone else noticed this behavior ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I’m still having this issue. I have tried forwarding the ports listed but still didn’t help. I can access it and get live video when I’m on Wi-Fi or connected to VPN but not outside of the network even with the port forwarding. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

The ports I have added for port forwarding rule are as follows. 554,6500,7100,8000,9664,10554,5353

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I’m still having this issue. I have tried forwarding the ports listed but still didn’t help. I can access it and get live video when I’m on Wi-Fi or connected to VPN but not outside of the network even with the port forwarding. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

The ports I have added for port forwarding rule are as follows. 554,6500,7100,8000,9664,10554,5353

Are you trying to connect from outside your network via VPN or without?

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So do you have a SmartThings or Hubitat hub? If so, you may want to look into the Sage Sensor, many here use it, it connects to your Chime, it is $5 on eBay and it is perfect to get notifications or announcements via Google/Alexa when Doorbell Button is pressed. It is a ZigBee device so your hub would need to be in good range of the Sensor/Chime.

Very Easy to install, just like the power kit:
⦁ Sage Sensor - TechBill - alexdelprete - TechBill - Techbill's Forum/Thread (Sage with SmartThings)

If no hub you can also use a reed switch, see 101 for info since there are several out there..Just sharing...
Interesting. No I don't have Smartthings or Hubitat hub. I have some other smart device hubs and also has Google home.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The powerkit should ALWAYS be used, in my experience. It's a voltage regulator/stabilizer. I don't use a traditional chime, but in my case, without the power-kit, the SAGE sensor doesn't work without it. So "use it" is my advice. :)
Sounds good!

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I played with the batch config tool but why are the time stamp on the camera a mix of black and white?

1594561159497.png

DoorBellDummy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also used batch config tool and changed the FPS to "full frame" or the max of "22 frames" but when I see a car driving by / or person walking by I would say it's more like 10 frames (it's choppying) as I have an indoor camera running on hard wired at the same time and the indoor camera is smooth like 25 to 30 fps.

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
UPDATE

@alexdelprete

Removed the DB from my account using the Ezviz app -- upon setup it DID ask what type of Chime, thus selected Mechanical -- but that did not fix it. Still, not ringing the chime. The app DOES show the Chime setting now, and it is set to Mechanical (it allowed me to choose during setup)

I did a complete factory reset (hold button for 15 seconds, etc). Then I created Laview account (did have one before - just had Ezviz/Hik acct) added the DB back and the app sees it. BUT, indoor chime is still not working.

AND... NOW I cannot add the doorbell to the Ezviz, Guarding Vision, or Hik iVMS-4500 apps !? No matter if I try the serial # or the LAN IP! Ezviz app tries and says (owned by acct <provides my acct name) and the Guarding Vision does the same but has a button for Ask to share... which I did, but not seeing anything happen. Any ideas here?

btw, do you know if there is anything we can really do (like hidden pages/features) with www.hik-connect.com ? Not sure why that page exists when it doesnt seem to give us any real control?

Last edited: