New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't want to install the latest version cause I thought that I won't be able to go back, but looking at your post I guess that changing the firmware back should be a big problem, so I will give it a go.
With Batch Config Tool it is easy to change firmware on these devices. BEWARE you are going through a WiFi connection, which we all know is not as stable as a wired connection. Make sure you got a good signal, the files are small and the process is short. Last warning, there is always a chance of bricking, as with any device. Most of us here has updated/upgraded our firmware a few times via Batch Config Tool so if I were to give a percentage, I would say you have a 98% chance of success. We even found a way, not easy, to unbrick these...fyi...Let us know if that fixes your issue...

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Relating to WiFi here have left the DB connected via 2.4Ghz and using a dedicated SSID / radio on the Ruckus WAP just for this device.

I have done similar with Alexa devices (on their own SSID), Wifi Tasmota and WiFi Espurna devices all using 2.4Ghz versus 5.0Ghz. That is me though.

Don't use wireless much for the laptops as I have catxx connections all over the house.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Relating to WiFi here have left the DB connected via 2.4Ghz and using a dedicated SSID / radio on the Ruckus WAP just for this device.

I have done similar with Alexa devices (on their own SSID), Wifi Tasmota and WiFi Espurna devices all using 2.4Ghz versus 5.0Ghz. That is me though.

Don't use wireless much for the laptops as I have catxx connections all over the house.
I agree, I am not putting down 5Ghz but I believe there is a reason many (new) devices still only support 2.4Ghz

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree, I am not putting down 5Ghz but I believe there is a reason many (new) devices still only support 2.4Ghz
Antennas are cheaper and the radio waves are longer and will transmit father all though slowers. it's not a secret

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Antennas are cheaper and the radio waves are longer and will transmit father all though slowers. it's not a secret
Even if you take distance out, I have found 2.4GHz to be more stable, maybe it takes interference hits less, don't know. 5Ghz has been great with our phones though...

Reaction score
As far as I remember I forced my Ezviz to use 5GHz by using Batch Tool (Settings > Network > WiFi > Select (button), but after a while, I came back to 2.4GHz as it's more stable.

1638351310989.png

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have never messed with blue iris because I don't like running windows boxes if I can help it. It should do pretty much the same as deepstack though. So far frigate has done wonders for me. There is a docker image that you can use to test with. Configurations are still done in YAML but if you mess with home assistant it's not difficult. It's actively being worked on and the dev is very active in the home assistant forums. Good luck getting a coral if you decide to stick with it though. Mouser isn't shipping USB ones till April of next year, they occasionally pop up on other sites. There are a couple of youtube videos that go over it from MostlyChris and Digiblur. You can really go off the deep end with what Linus tech Tips is planning to use frigate and doubletake for. I am using double-take to run facial recognition too and they make a crazy powerful paring especially with home assistant. It's why I am really wanting to capture button presses and see if I can access the speaker on the DB1 from Onvif or other means to use home assistant to play pre-recorded messages as the app is a little slow sometimes. Frigate usually gets a hit as soon as the person steps onto my property, pops up a moment later on my google home hub or plays the announcement on my google home speakers and I usually have the app loaded up before they can hit the button causing even more issues when the call tries to come through when I already have the app open.
I've been testing frigate the last couple of weeks. Been interesting. Obviously I don't have a coral tpu device due to the global shortage but had surprisingly good inference speeds on cpu. It works very well for people in daylight.
90ms or so on both my Intels with 4 cameras.
Tested on a lxc container on proxmox and on desktop docker on windows. Both worked reasonably well. Oddly the frigate on the proxmox with an i5 4th Gen worked just as well as the i7 7700 docker on windows. I think the one on proxmox actually used less cpu power despite the older Intel.

Blue iris is my main system with deepstack gpu gtx 970.
My BI works very well at night and this is where frigate falls short. I believe you need very good colorvu cams for frigate.

Looking forward to getting a coral tpu next year if they ever become available.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been testing frigate the last couple of weeks. Been interesting. Obviously I don't have a coral tpu device due to the global shortage but had surprisingly good inference speeds on cpu. It works very well for people in daylight.
Tested on a lxc container on proxmox and on desktop docker on windows. Both worked reasonably well. Oddly the frigate on the proxmox with an i5 4th Gen worked just as well as the i7 7700 docker on windows. I think the one on proxmox actually used less cpu power despite the older Intel.

My BI works very well at night and this is where frigate falls short. I believe you need very good colorvu cams for frigate.

These new Cams are incredible at Night, they are LED CAMs instead of IR but from what everyone is saying these are the ones to get:

Right now they come in a Bullet version, I am waiting on a Turret version to be released, should happen next year...

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Yeah, the night is weaker than daytime for the built-in model but you can use different ones and I think Blake is working on training data. I haven't had too many issues. I have enough light around my house that the only misses I have noticed are when people are across the street which is like 250ft away and I am using a hikvision doorbell and the substream on amcrest 4k 2.8mm so I am not feeding it the best data. Anything I really care about, aka my property I haven't had any misses with. I think we are all going to be moving to colorvu style cameras, I know after having to actually use my footage yesterday there are some big changes I want to make. I am not sure that the hikvison is going to stay, it did its job and got the info needed but I am happy the amcrest was there to back it up with its mic.

kamakazie2

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. Trying to diagnose an issue ive had for a few months. My doorbell disconnects all the time. Its not the 3 minute issue as the Blue iris logs show it happening as much as every minute to as long as every 15-20 minutes. I constantly get disconnects.
I have the 200231 Hikvision latest firmware.
I tried my Google Onhub and an older E1000 Linksys router. Both 2.4 ghz and 5ghz.
I have ICMP pings enabled on the router and i even tried through VLC and it freezes every few minutes for 5 or so seconds then recovers.
I am using a 24v 20VA transformer. I also tried a sprinkler transformer that was 24v 750ma.
I also set a script to hit the doorbell with a ping every 30 seconds to simulate a keep alive pulse.
The router is about 10ft away from the doorbell.
I am using blue iris to record the main stream and the sub stream to view/detect motion.
the doorbell log is blank.. i assume i need an sd card to track local logging?

What else can i try?
Thanks for the support!

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the DB dropping off the network or is it powering off or resetting itself?

Do you have connectivity logs on your Wireless access point? Older SOHO routers do not do wireless very well. Overheating et al.

Remove it for a bit from BI and keep doing a ping to the device.

Last edited:

kamakazie2

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the DB dropping off the network or is it powering off or resetting itself?

Do you have connectivity logs on your Wireless access point? Older SOHO routers do not do wireless very well. Overheating et al.

Remove it for a bit from BI and keep doing a ping to the device.
thanks for the reply. I pulled it off BI and im running VLC long term and pinging it. Dosent look like it is falling off network.

However I noticed that the time jumps around.. In VLC Seconds will go: 35,36,37,38,39,40,35,36,43,44,45,46,47,47,43,44,50,51
It jumps backwards and if a car goes by it will briefly show up again like its not getting the packets in order. It has good signal strength.

After 90 min i have 146k decoded and 43 lost frames in VLC

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good news @kamakazie2.

Do you have any other devices (iOT) using same SSID / radio? Alexa / Google?

Do you have a RPi up on wireless that you can tinker with? Are you OK with using Linux SSH and Linux command line stuff?

Next go to Hikvision Batch configuration and bring the frame rate down to 50% on what you are using now for HD and SD video streaming. Shut off the audio portion in Batch Configuration and watch it again with VLC.

EricLEE

n3wb
Reaction score
So I managed to flash my EZVIZ camera with the Laview firmware. And then renamed the wifi/password back to EZVIZ and added the camera in EZVIZ... I was not able to add the camera to the Laview app prior, and also tried adding camera to the Hik-Connect and couldn't get that to work either.

Can someone walk me through the steps involved in using the Hik-Connect app and adding the camera, the same for Laview.

thanks

kamakazie2

n3wb
Reaction score
Good news @kamakazie2.

Do you have any other devices (iOT) using same SSID / radio? Alexa / Google?

Do you have a RPi up on wireless that you can tinker with? Are you OK with using Linux SSH and Linux command line stuff?

Next go to Hikvision Batch configuration and bring the frame rate down to 50% on what you are using now for HD and SD video streaming. Shut off the audio portion in Batch Configuration and watch it again with VLC.
Thanks for the response. Right now the doorbell is on its own router so i can isolate any other issues. I do have an old Rock64 board that i can use.
Ill go int to BCT and drop frame rate from 15 to 7 and drop audio and report back.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I managed to flash my EZVIZ camera with the Laview firmware. And then renamed the wifi/password back to EZVIZ and added the camera in EZVIZ... I was not able to add the camera to the Laview app prior, and also tried adding camera to the Hik-Connect and couldn't get that to work either.

Can someone walk me through the steps involved in using the Hik-Connect app and adding the camera, the same for Laview.

thanks
So we all got a message many months back that you cannot have the Doorbell in more than one App anymore. That is the Hik and EZVIZ Apps. It is due to their cloud service and only allowing you to register on one cloud. Guarding Vision App is one you can try too.

EricLEE

n3wb
Reaction score
So we all got a message many months back that you cannot have the Doorbell in more than one App anymore. That is the Hik and EZVIZ Apps. It is due to their cloud service and only allowing you to register on one cloud. Guarding Vision App is one you can try too.

I don't mind removing the camera from EZVIZ, but I couldn't figure out how to add the camera to Hik-Connect..

Can you explain the process, I thought it was looking for "Wi-Fi" ssid so I renamed to that using the Batch-Config.. but couldn't add the camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't mind removing the camera from EZVIZ, but I couldn't figure out how to add the camera to Hik-Connect..

Can you explain the process, I thought it was looking for "Wi-Fi" ssid so I renamed to that using the Batch-Config.. but couldn't add the camera
So I have not used the Hik App but it should have an add button, maybe a plus sign +, is it not finding your doorbell?

Last edited:

EricLEE

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have not used the Hik App but it should have an add button, maybe a plus sign +, is it not finding your doorbell?
If hit the +, I can add the camera via local IP.. if I try to use the scan QR code then it tries to find the camera via wifi and doesn't find it. If I use the local ip, it doesn't work outside the local network, and I don't get alerts.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If hit the +, I can add the camera via local IP.. if I try to use the scan QR code then it tries to find the camera via wifi and doesn't find it. If I use the local ip, it doesn't work outside the local network, and I don't get alerts.
Sounds like you will need to reregister the Camera for their cloud to work.