New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since I am not familiar with a wireless chime I would not be the one to help you. I can only say that if you have a Doorbell Button outside your door with 2 wires going to it, I would check the voltage with a voltage meter and look for close to 16 volts, which the transformer you have can do 24 volts, then you should be good. If you are going to add a chime below is a standard Doorbell wiring. From the Doorbell button (Smart Doorbell) one wire goes to transformer, the other to a chime (or in your case both will go to the transformer bypassing the chime). To add a chime you will need two wires from the new chime to your transformer then connect it like the diagram below. Hope this helps...

View attachment 45777
David and all my Laview doorbell is working great. However not having a mechanical chime is a bad thing for us as we can't hear the built-in chime loud enough. So I ordered a mechanical chime from Amazon tonight. As I said in an earlier post this home never had a doorbell so there was no transformer or anything like that installed. I am currently using a C wire for the Laview and it works great. It's 24V 500 mA rated wire. I just made a very crude diagram of how I was planning on hooking it up could you take a look and see if it's right or wrong?

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
David and all my Laview doorbell is working great. However not having a mechanical chime is a bad thing for us as we can't hear the built-in chime loud enough. So I ordered a mechanical chime from Amazon tonight. As I said in an earlier post this home never had a doorbell so there was no transformer or anything like that installed. I am currently using a C wire for the Laview and it works great. It's 24V 500 mA rated wire. I just made a very crude diagram of how I was planning on hooking it up could you take a look and see if it's right or wrong?
Yeah the Doorbell chime is loud but we do not hear it in our living room with the TV on, though both my wife and I don't hear so good anymore :)
Check out my message #680, I posted a pic of my transformer, as you can see there are two cables (each with 2 wires) going to my transformer, one cable is from the doorbell and the other from the chime, the wire nut just completes the circuit between the chime and the doorbell.

Here is a suggestion, since you already have a 2 wire cable going to your Doorbell from your transformer, I would run a 2 wire cable from your transformer to your new Chime, then connect it like the attached diagram (your diagram which I edited). I just made your crude diagram cruder :), sorry...

Attachments

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah the Doorbell chime is loud but we do not hear it in our living room with the TV on, though both my wife and I don't hear so good anymore :)
Check out my message #680, I posted a pic of my transformer, as you can see there are two cables (each with 2 wires) going to my transformer, one cable is from the doorbell and the other from the chime, the wire nut just completes the circuit between the chime and the doorbell.

Here is a suggestion, since you already have a 2 wire cable going to your Doorbell from your transformer, I would run a 2 wire cable from your transformer to your new Chime, then connect it like the attached diagram (your diagram which I edited). I just made your crude diagram cruder :), sorry...
Okay that's what I was planning on doing so I'm glad I got confirmation. At first I was afraid you meant buy the 2nd 2 wire cable but then I reread. :p

Martin Paul Sr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you.
There must be a Path (RSTP URL) that your ONVIF retrieved ir you set it up with ONVIF.
Any I'll manually use the RSTP URL that was provided here early in the thread.

Here's the one given by @Chadsturgill For HSDB2 early in the thread.
He used a path for the RCA floodlight camera (HSFLC1 which is also a newer HikVision model with no web browser access).
Path: /ipaddress/Streaming/Channels/101/
or URL: rtsp://ipaddress/Streaming/Channels/101/

I found another one that works (I'm using it on both the new doorbell and the floodlight).
I have no idea if it's any better or worse, but I like seeing H.264 in there because that's seems the be the most widely used video codec.
Path: /h264/ch01/main/av_stream
URL: rtsp://h264/ch01/main/av_stream

Anyway I replaced my HSDB1 with this new RCA HSDB2 today and am having great luck with it in Blue Iris and the mobile app.

I don't know if this has been talked about, but the instructions for those *with* a chime box (as I have) had me wire and install a small power control device and place inside the cover.
This is as opposed to those *with no* chime box being instructed to install a resistor (as described in post #675 above).
I did as I was told and had no problems.
I did get confused at first because the doorbell camera would ring when pressed, but not the real doorbell chime box, so I thought it was f'd up.
Then I saw a setting in the mobile app (RCA Security) which has that turned off.
Now both the doorbell cam and the real doorbell chime box ring when pressed.

I hooked it up to a 5G signal and it stays on pretty much as well as all my other cams.
This is like 10x better than the HSDB1 which was "No Signal" 20% of the time and 10-15 seconds behind when connected.
I'm not even sure I would give that old one away to my son-in-law who uses gadgets of all kinds, unless his router is like 5 feet away.

Just turned off the porchlight to check the night vision on the new HSDB2.
Very clear B&W image as far as I can see down my porch.
But I have an LED bulb porchlight that turns on upon nightfall, so I'll keep using that and get living color

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got mine today. The one that I got is definitely a 3.15A Fuse, not a resistor. ;)
View attachment 46155
What does it say on the fuse? I can see where a fuse case could/would be used/preferred to add a resistor to a circuit without having to solder it in and of course the resistor would have to be the same size as a fuse.

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What does it say on the fuse? I can see where a fuse case could/would be used/preferred to add a resistor to a circuit without having to solder it in and of course the resistor would have to be the same size as a fuse.
F3.15A H250V

The resistance is 0.4 Ohm.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
F3.15A H250V

The resistance is 0.4 Ohm.
Yep it is a fuse, thanks...Not sure why they label it as a resistor, but in my quick search online I see where Smart Doorbell users without chimes have had to install resistors. Obviously the fuse protects the Doorbell somehow, if it were me I would install it.

Ring Doorbell
Resistor sold on Amazon
Nest user

Just to list a few.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

lucasCam

n3wb
Reaction score
I find some of the settings in the app don't save properly. I initially had notifications on and chime set to mechanical but neither were working. Restarted the device as well as the app and updated the settings a few times and it started to work.

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you buy BI from here IPCamTalk? Is there any difference in the software from here than buying it directly from Blue Iris, other than price? I assume it is the full version here so 64 cameras but only one license per (PC or Mac) correct?

Thanks
I bought the Armcrest branded version from Amazon. It was $49.99 when I bought it, $54.99 now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TS9N4RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I downloaded the latest version of BI directly from blueirissoftware.com and used the key included in the Armcrest DVD install package. I have now noticed any issues and this is a full version of BI, 64 cameras...not that I have tested.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you do me a favor and look in your Camera> Properites>Video>Configure.
Let us know what's in the "Make", "Model" and "Path" fields?
I know there is a working path already published here that simply matches some other HikVision cams, but this might be a better stream.

Also, does the Halo ONE let you access it with a web interface from a computer?
Here is what BI is displaying for the Halo connected via ONVIF.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'd like to ask you for some help. I'm trying to add the RCA HSDB2 device using the App on my Android. (Tried RCA Security, EZVIZ, and Hik-Connect) My WiFi network (2.4 GHz) signal is strong and a the router is only a few meters away with nothing blocking the signal.

I've repeated the add procedure maybe 50 times so I'm about to give up. First I usually get a message that my device is not compatible (or something similar...) but after trying a few times it recognizes it. The camera speaks "Wifi Connected" and "Platform registration successful." The Android app says that "the device is being configured" "Please wait patiently" (Which I always do) and finally it says "Configuration failed". The camera device does not get listed in the app. The camera is streaming to Blue Iris without problems.

Tried to call the RCA support but the toll free number (which is the only one that I've got) can not be reached from here.

Any ideas what I should do?

Last edited:

Martin Paul Sr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'd like to ask you for some help. I'm trying to add the RCA HSDB2 device using the App on my Android. (Tried RCA Security, EZVIZ, and Hik-Connect) My WiFi network (2.4 GHz) signal is strong and a the router is only a few meters away with nothing blocking the signal.

I've repeated the add procedure maybe 50 times so I'm about to give up. First I usually get a message that my device is not compatible (or something similar...) but after trying a few times it recognizes it. The camera speaks "Wifi Connected" and "Platform registration successful." The Android app says that "the device is being configured" "Please wait patiently" (Which I always do) and finally it says "Configuration failed". The camera device does not get listed in the app. The camera is streaming to Blue Iris without problems.

Tried to call the RCA support but the toll free number (which is the only one that I've got) can not be reached from here.

Weird. I don't know if I can help, but I can tell you how it went for me.
The app "RCA Security" for Android worked for me immediately. Pressed the add ("+") in the upper right, a camera opens, you point it at the QR code.
Then it just asked for the WiFi password, and assumed an SSID it found nearby, which you can correct if it's not the one you want.
I do remember having to completely finish the "next, etc." before it would appear as a device on the home screen, but I didn't get "Connection Failed" at any point.

That "not compatible" message tells me maybe you have a QR code not listed/eligible with RCA/HikVision.
The WiFi and platform "success" messages must be why you can see it on Blue Iris -- it got on your network no problem.
So your camera connects and streams but won't register with the manufacturer.
In a way that's good because you are totally off the grid, but there are some settings and features in the RCA Security app that you will want access to.
I think RCA might replace it, but I think you'll have to call them no matter what.

lucasCam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Have you tried power cycling it (use the breaker)? Mine was all sorts of wonky when I first set it up until a few reboots

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Question; When you stated that you have repeated the add procedure many times, are you factory resetting the Doorbell each time? On the LaView (and I am sure its the same with RCA) you hold down the Reset button for 10 seconds. The Reset button is the small white button between the PIR and Doorbell button. You have to remove the face plate cover to get to it, if installed. See message #625 pictures. Sounds like you only made it halfway through the App's install even though the Doorbell saved your network info and allowed you to RTSP stream to BI. I would Reset the Doorbell back to factory settings and start from scratch again.

upload_2019-8-19_21-34-38.png

Attachments

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm still struggling to get the camera listed in the app.

... ...
That "not compatible" message tells me maybe you have a QR code not listed/eligible with RCA/HikVision.
The Search Device dialogue actually says "Operation failed. The device is not supported. Retry. IMHO I think it's strange to retry if the device isn't supported. What would make it supported by trying additional times. Anyway, I usually succeed to make it find my device ID after many attempts.

I think RCA might replace it, but I think you'll have to call them no matter what.
I've e-mailed them. When I phone the number they've provided +1 833 236 6561 there's a message that the number has nu subscriber (not in use)

Have you tried power cycling it (use the breaker)? Mine was all sorts of wonky when I first set it up until a few reboots
Thanks. Yes, I've tried that too.

Question; When you stated that you have repeated the add procedure many times, are you factory resetting the Doorbell each time? On the LaView (and I am sure its the same with RCA) you hold down the Reset button for 10 seconds. The Reset button is the small white button between the PIR and Doorbell button. You have to remove the face plate cover to get to it, if installed. See message #625 pictures. Sounds like you only made it halfway through the App's install even though the Doorbell saved your network info and allowed you to RTSP stream to BI. I would Reset the Doorbell back to factory settings and start from scratch again.
Thanks. Sure I've found that button and pushed it 10 seconds and released it when the blue lights starts flashing. It speaks "Reset sucessfully" so I guess it's reset properly. It allows me to reconfigure it.

Something that I noted when reading the installation instruction in my app (not the one printed on paper) is that when connecting without a chime (like I do) you should not feed it with AC power but rather with DC power at a voltage of 8-24 Volt. I decided to try that and it works fine on 9VDC and it consumes 1.23A (About 11W). I see no change in behavior at all. If I knew that initially I wouldn't have had to buy an AC transformer! I already have some DC Power supplies in my drawers.
Screenshot_20190820-091235_RCA Security.jpg

I'll go over to my neighbor and see if I can Install it properly using his router...

EDIT: I've got the exact same problem also when trying to register the device at my neighbours house (using his router of course). I also tried using my neighbours iPhone to register the Camera. The iPhone app had an extra step (connecting to the cameras wifi as well). However it ended up with the same problem. Camera connects to the Wifi but won't get listed in the app afterwards.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm still struggling to get the camera listed in the app.

The Search Device dialogue actually says "Operation failed. The device is not supported. Retry. IMHO I think it's strange to retry if the device isn't supported. What would make it supported by trying additional times. Anyway, I usually succeed to make it find my device ID after many attempts.

I've e-mailed them. When I phone the number they've provided +1 833 236 6561 there's a message that the number has nu subscriber (not in use)

Thanks. Yes, I've tried that too.

Thanks. Sure I've found that button and pushed it 10 seconds and released it when the blue lights starts flashing. It speaks "Reset sucessfully" so I guess it's reset properly. It allows me to reconfigure it.

Something that I noted when reading the installation instruction in my app (not the one printed on paper) is that when connecting without a chime (like I do) you should not feed it with AC power but rather with DC power at a voltage of 8-24 Volt. I decided to try that and it works fine on 9VDC and it consumes 1.23A (About 11W). I see no change in behavior at all. If I knew that initially I wouldn't have had to buy an AC transformer! I already have some DC Power supplies in my drawers.
View attachment 46185

I'll go over to my neighbor and see if I can Install it properly using his router...

EDIT: I've got the exact same problem also when trying to register the device at my neighbours house (using his router of course). I also tried using my neighbours iPhone to register the Camera. The iPhone app had an extra step (connecting to the cameras wifi as well). However it ended up with the same problem. Camera connects to the Wifi but won't get listed in the app afterwards.
More of my 2 cents: Most Smart device Apps seem to install similarly (WeMo, Google Home Mini, LIFX, TP-LINK, etc., first the App will connect to the device via WiFi (You can see the device listed in your WiFi list of Available Networks in your phone's WiFi Settings), the App will then ask for your local Network Router WiFi info SSID/Security/Password in which it will save this info to stay connected to your local Network. Where the problems seem to always show up on these Apps is when it disconnects from the devices network and tries to reconnect to your local Network to complete the install process. I have seen it happen many times in the other devices I listed.

There are several ways to get past this, but each App is different. On my WeMo installs when the App got stuck with the spinning wheel of death, I just went to my phones WiFi Setting and manually reconnected to my local WiFi network, then the App would complete its install and see the WeMo device. I have found this to work on some of the other devices I listed, though sometimes if I take too long the App will time out.

Here are a few more tips to try. Not sure which Android version you are using but go to your phones WiFi settings then go to Advanced, Turn Off Switch to Mobile Data (this is when you have a weak WiFi signal or hung Wifi in an App, a spinning wheel of death), if On, your Phone will disconnect from WiFi (which would be a problem during smart device installs) and connect to your Cell/Mobile Data Service in the App you are having the problem with. You may also try turning On Airplane Mode (which will stop your cell service and WiFi), but you will need to turn your WiFi back On to install your Doorbell.

WeMo Mini Install problems I know this is WeMo help but it may help better explain what I am trying to say in my reply :)

Settings/WiFi/Advanced on Android Samsung Galaxy 7 running Oreo v8.0.0
upload_2019-8-20_7-26-55.png

Last edited:

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More of my 2 cents: Most Smart device Apps seem to install similarly (WeMo, Google Home Mini, LIFX, TP-LINK, etc., first the App will connect to the device via WiFi (You can see the device listed in your WiFi list of Available Networks in your phone's WiFi Settings), the App will then ask for your local Network Router WiFi info SSID/Security/Password in which it will save this info to stay connected to your local Network. Where the problems seem to always show up on these Apps is when it disconnects from the devices network and tries to reconnect to your local Network to complete the install process. I have seen it happen many times in the other devices I listed.

There are several ways to get past this, but each App is different. On my WeMo installs when the App got stuck with the spinning wheel of death, I just went to my phones WiFi Setting and manually reconnected to my local WiFi network, then the App would complete its install and see the WeMo device. I have found this to work on some of the other devices I listed, though sometimes if I take too long the App will time out.

Here are a few more tips to try. Not sure which Android version you are using but go to your phones WiFi settings then go to Advanced, Turn off Switch to Mobile Data (this is when you have a weak WiFi signal, if On, your Phone will disconnect from WiFi (which would be a problem during smart device installs) and connect to your Cell/Mobile Data Service in the App you are having the problem with. You may try also try turning On Airplane Mode (which will stop your cell service and WiFi), but you will need to turn your WiFi back On to install your Doorbell.

WeMo Mini Install problems I know this is WeMo help but it may help better explain what I am trying to say in my reply :)

Settings/WiFi/Advanced on Android Samsung Galaxy 7 running Oreo v8.0.0
View attachment 46200
Thanks a lot @David L for your kind help. I appreciate it so much. I have tried airplane mode before and only activated WiFi but Given the information you gave me, I've been running a couple of rounds but unfortunately without any progress. I even took out the SIM card to make sure. I have Android version 9 but I have also tried an older Android version on another Android device and I've also tried my friends iPhone.

After that the doorbell camera device has confirmed connection to my WiFi I have checked that the Android phone has access to my WiFi and it doesn't seem to be the problem. I have also tried to reconnect manually.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot @David L for your kind help. I appreciate it so much. I have tried airplane mode before and only activated WiFi but Given the information you gave me, I've been running a couple of rounds but unfortunately without any progress. I even took out the SIM card to make sure. I have Android version 9 but I have also tried an older Android version on another Android device and I've also tried my friends iPhone.

After that the doorbell camera device has confirmed connection to my WiFi I have checked that the Android phone has access to my WiFi and it doesn't seem to be the problem. I have also tried to reconnect manually.
Sorry but this is where my knowledge is limited. You are in the right Forum though, there are several very knowledgeable people here that should have more suggestions.
I have not yet tried using other Apps other than LaView ONE App so I cannot help much there but you might try reading from message #526, I do not know/understand how device registration actually works but in reading some of these messages, it looks like it could be tricky using other's Apps. Wonder if somehow you got registered on another manufacturer when trying other Apps, which is causing problems in the RCA App? Just thinking out loud, will leave it to the experts here...hopefully RCA will solve your problem in a timely manner, just be sure to post the solve here to help other future installers, thanks...