New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I made some progress here.

Earlier I had already taken the HSDB2A unit to my friends house. He has a standard consumer router, nothing fancy. I then tried to install it at his place but it failed the same way as at did at my home.

However today I borrowed another standard router from another friend. To my surprise I got the HSDB2A to register on the first try.

I then deleted the device in the app (because that's the only way to change the WIFI SSID that HSDB2A connects throgh)

I tried again adding it to my ordinary WIFI. Now it worked all of a sudden!!! What has changed? Nothing in my network or the setup here for sure. Maybe you can try if you can reproduce that @Drekameger
Great News, when you say standard consumer router, what brand/model # worked?

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your doorbell is accessible on your lan, could you not connect to it via "iVMS-4200 Lite" Windows software, set the IP/user/password, select "Remote configuration" and view all the Device Information?

Or any of the iVMS-4200 products -- I like "Lite" because it isn't so bloated
DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL
The reason that I sad it's ONVIF before is that I'm sure 100% that BI said it was a ONVIF compliant camera when I did a "inspect" in BI.

This camera looks different in BI:

Opening cam-doorbell port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
Failed with HTTP 12029
Opening cam-doorbell port 8999...
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
HTTP 12029
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
RTSP port detected!
Done
Camera path is set to "/" in BI.

Version is indeed V5.2.4 build 190124

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like problems in the cloud. As the app was/is pulled from the android App Store they may be having a bunch of problems.

But when it is a free cloud service, and when having problems, the normal methodology is don't ask, don't tell and deny, deny, deny......

So you may try a dozen different configurations and all fail , then the cloud is fixed, and the last configuration seems to work (even though is is all upstream of you)...

If the issues are at the cloud level, VOXX may not even be getting the real story (as they buy (not manage) the service).
Yeah, thinking about it you're probably right. Let's see if @Drekameger can add his device now without doing anything special...

Drekameger

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm still unable to get it to work. I did try another router, but no success as well.
Maybe I should try to get my hands on an Android device. Did you use the RCA app?

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still unable to get it to work. I did try another router, but no success as well.
Maybe I should try to get my hands on an Android device. Did you use the RCA app?
Yes I did. Another thing that I did earlier was that I deleted my account, created a new and entered "USA" as country. You might want to try that too ;)

Drekameger

n3wb
Reaction score
THANKS MAN! That did the trick (with my normal router) that has not worked during countless tries!
So maybe by picking Norway/Sweden as a country pointed us to a cloud-server that doesn't work or exist.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I did. Another thing that I did earlier was that I deleted my account, created a new and entered "USA" as country. You might want to try that too ;)
THANKS MAN! That did the trick (with my normal router) that has not worked during countless tries!
So maybe by picking Norway/Sweden as a country pointed us to a cloud-server that doesn't work or exist.
WOW, I truly forgot the App asking what country and would not of thought that would have something to do with linking to a countries cloud-server, most of the time it is just for personal account info and/or their records. You would think Tech. Support would of told you guys to try another country/server through the App.

Well Congrats, our friends across the water, and welcome to the US cloud :) The Apps are not great but they do the job, we do get instant Push notifications of triggered events, motion/doorbell button pressed, which is faster/better than other Doorbells out there.

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're welcome @Drekameger. I wouldn't have thought of it unless you stepped into the discussion and revealing that you are from our beloved neighbor country. I'm very happy it works now and the port forwarding maneuvers was just a "red herring" thrown out by the support to keep you busy. ;)

WOW, I truly forgot the App asking what country and would not of thought that would have something to do with linking to a countries cloud-server, most of the time it is just for personal account info and/or their records. You would think Tech. Support would of told you guys to try another country/server through the App.

Well Congrats, our friends across the water, and welcome to the US cloud :) The Apps are not great but they do the job, we do get instant Push notifications of triggered events, motion/doorbell button pressed, which is faster/better than other Doorbells out there.
Thanks @David L . I've been a "tech support guy" myself back in the days and maybe I've had my bad days but I have never mocked my customers.

Have a nice weekend guys and I hope you get a lot of visitors @Drekameger so that you can try out the doorbell camera device properly ;)

argus

n3wb
Reaction score
Version is indeed V5.2.4 build 190124
That’s a shame, I’d hoped an ONVIF update may have been on the way for RCA owners too.
If anyone US based happens to be talking with Voxx support I’m sure many RCA owners would be interested to know especially since it is available on the Laview version now.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, what's the deal??? Got a new LaView ONE App update a few days ago and now the Push notifications logo is EZVIZs and no longer LaViews.
upload_2019-8-26_11-3-20.png
NEW VERSION:
upload_2019-8-26_11-8-49.png

OLD SCREEN SHOT (LaView logo 5th from left):
upload_2019-8-26_11-16-24.png

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You guys who have connected the HSDB2A both to BI and the App, what screen resolution are you running it at?

I've found that there are 3 different resolutions to choose from in the RCA app (only 2 in Guarding Vision) Ultra HD: 1536x2048, HD: 768x1064, SD: 600:800. If I switch the resolution in the app, BI won't be able to handle the resolution change and fails to read the stream. Maybe it's because the resolution is specified in the BI settings... ?

The reason I'm digging into this is that I might want to use a lower resolution in the App (to make things more smooth) while using the highest resolution in BI. Maybe that's impossible?

Cheers!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You guys who have connected the HSDB2A both to BI and the App, what screen resolution are you running it at?

I've found that there are 3 different resolutions to choose from in the RCA app (only 2 in Guarding Vision) Ultra HD: 1536x2048, HD: 768x1064, SD: 600:800. If I switch the resolution in the app, BI won't be able to handle the resolution change and fails to read the stream. Maybe it's because the resolution is specified in the BI settings... ?

The reason I'm digging into this is that I might want to use a lower resolution in the App (to make things more smooth) while using the highest resolution in BI. Maybe that's impossible?

Cheers!
So are you saying BI is not excepting the Mainstream video from the Doorbell, only the Substreams?

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So are you saying BI is not excepting the Mainstream video from the Doorbell, only the Substreams?
If the App setting is other than Ultra HD, BI will fail reading the stream from BI when the app connects. It seems that the app cause the main stream to change it's resolution when the app is connected. BI path is set to "/Streaming/Channels/101" but just "/" will also work.

Would there be any way to force the specified resolution in the URL since BI doesn't seem to handle when the resolution changes (due to that an app connects)?

Below are my current settings

Screenshot from 2019-08-28 19-01-17.png

Screenshot from 2019-08-28 19-03-23.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the App setting is other than Ultra HD, BI will fail reading the stream from BI when the app connects. It seems that the app cause the main stream to change it's resolution when the app is connected. BI path is set to "/Streaming/Channels/101" but just "/" will also work.

Would there be any way to force the specified resolution in the URL since BI doesn't seem to handle when the resolution changes (due to that an app connects)?

Below are my current settings

View attachment 46595

View attachment 46597
Noticed your Discovery Port is 8999, should this be 8000?

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Noticed your Discovery Port is 8999, should this be 8000?
I don't know because I don't know what role the discovery port plays here. I could try to change it but how will I see that I have the correct discovery port? Thanks!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know because I don't know what role the discovery port plays here. I could try to change it but how will I see that I have the correct discovery port? Thanks!
Nor do I, just notice port 8999 in your BI and know in iVMS-4200 software it uses port 8000. I guess this is Hikvision's port. I know Port 554 is the RTSP feed port, which I am confused, is there only one port for 3 RTSP feeds, 1 Main and 2 Subs? I don't have your answer but was again just throwing in my 2 cents.

Viet Dzung

n3wb
Reaction score
My first post here.
I have read all 38 pages.

I bought EZVIZ DB1 variant, i have just tested it and not install to fix position, i have some Hik-vision cam in my home but this one "super hot", in the bottom it is 65 degree (C) when idle that is the first thing i don't like it, the coolest zone is the bell button, it is about 40 degree. The second things is the built-in chime of the camera could not disable or change the volume, i think it could solve in the firmware.

I use DC 12v 24VA, this one could use both AC/DC, because it use H-bridge diode and voltage stabilize chip (CSDB1 Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera Teardown Internal Photos APPENDIX 1 Hangzhou Ezviz Software).
So if you not use a chime you can user DC for smaller power adapter.

And rest this is a great door bell. I use Home Assistant so this one is the best choice, i can add to it, use automation, sensor and snapshot...

In China they also release EZVIZ DB2 with battery and built-in wireless chime and bigger form too, not sure if it could work outside China https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=582222582474
If you want to test it, find third party purchase, they will buy and forward to you.