New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

snorkel

n3wb
Reaction score
IVMS does not work, I can connect but the 3 sliders for the image settings are greyed out, see the screen shot.
I tried the IVMS app on my phone and that does not work at all. I did update the device to the latest firmware before, maybe that was a mistake?

Attachments

snorkel

n3wb
Reaction score
well, gave up on it.
I must have a defective one.

It refuses to work with any mechanical or digital chime, I went out and bought the recommended mechanical and the hampton bay model from Home Depot listed on the compatible chime kit.
All the chimes worked perfectly with the standard button and the digital worked outstanding with the button and the diode.
I guess it's possible the little power kit module is bad, but I did try it with the one provide with the ring.

The other big show stopper is the camera white balance, exposure and who knows what else is not set properly. Bright sun appears as solid white with a sharp line at the shade.
I was unable to set the exposure using the IVMS software on windows 10 the sliders for the 3 image settings were grayed out.

I think the big problem is they should have implemented the button press as a standard button so the external diode would work, first and formost these things should ring the
darn chime with no delay. Even on the Ring Pro it does not work properly with digital chimes and only plays the chime for 10 seconds then shuts off and since no diode is present
the chime has zero power to set the tune or pair a wireless doorbell. You can only set the chime tune when it's actually playing, while with the standard button and diode this
is not a problem. the Ring Pro also has a delay in activating the chime, like 2 or 3 seconds and it appears it rings the actual chime last and does the other stuff first.

The other issue is the wifi is super weak especially the 5gz, the router is only 12 feet away and the 5gzh couldn't even get one bar on the signal and that is with a 16v 30mv transformer.

Oh well back to Amazon it goes.

snorkel

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you guys that have these using a 16v transformer or a 24v one? I saw in the Amazon reviews a guy could not get any chimes working then tried a 24v transformer and it worked....hmmm

I guess I could try the 24v and see if that is the issue, maybe that's why the darn wifi is so weak also.

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you guys that have these using a 16v transformer or a 24v one? I saw in the Amazon reviews a guy could not get any chimes working then tried a 24v transformer and it worked....hmmm

I guess I could try the 24v and see if that is the issue, maybe that's why the darn wifi is so weal also.
What router do u have?

snorkel

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a TP-Link Archer C4000 gigabit tri band, it's a beast, 6 antennas and 1.8gzh quad core CPU.

I bet it's the transformer, the 16v 30va might not be enough.

If I can get it to ring I still have to get around the washed out video..

snorkel

n3wb
Reaction score
Been digging some more, it appears the white contrast issue with sunlight was introduced in the firmware update.....

I did get a 24v transformer, luckily I can return the 16v one if the 24v does the trick. I am going to give it one more try in the AM and if I cant get either the mechanical or the digital chime to work, that will be it.

Swerd1

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there anyway to disable the chirp from the doorbell when it senses motion?

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there anyway to disable the chirp from the doorbell when it senses motion?
Yes.

In the app, go to the doorbell's Settings (gear) --> Alarm Notification --> Notification Sound Mode --> Mute

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes.

In the app, go to the doorbell's Settings (gear) --> Alarm Notification --> Notification Sound Mode --> Mute

@Ford

you seem to still be loving this.. should we pull the trigger when it hits the 119 price again?

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Ford

you seem to still be loving this.. should we pull the trigger when it hits the 119 price again?
Yep

After dealing with the craptacular previous offerings ( HK and others), this thing is great. Maybe this one is not for folks that need to plug and play, but with a little bit of effort you can have a cloud-independent solution that has a very good picture and is dead-solid reliable.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep

After dealing with the craptacular previous offerings ( HK and others), this thing is great. Maybe this one is not for folks that need to plug and play, but with a little bit of effort you can have a cloud-independent solution that has a very good picture and is dead-solid reliable.
i love it @Ford ... have a camera higher up on the porch, and another outside, but this one looks to be a great quality doorbell without that added price per month....

snorkel

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope, not getting another one and not user error LOL. Mine would simply not ring any chime mechanical or digital.
The ring pro is back on the door casing and while it's not perfect it does ring the chime.
My mistake was probably updating the firmware... should have left it alone.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can get one that works
I have 3 installed and all are working perfectly. Note I am using the RCA branded units, RCA app and RCA app installed firmware build 181121.

snorkel

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine had to be defective, way to many issues with it. Defective units happen all the time. It's too bad as I really liked the form factor and local storage.

stizzymack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 3 installed and all are working perfectly. Note I am using the RCA branded units, RCA app and RCA app installed firmware build 181121.
Good to hear its working as intended! I'm thinking of giving it a try.