New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

fcol

n3wb
Reaction score
Not that I am aware. For RCA (any) app to work you need the cloud. I packet captured the traffic from the camera a while back and it talks back to ezvizlife all the time. That is also how the doorbell knows to pop up the app in your phone when it’s pushed. If the cloud is not accessible, none of that would work. At that point I would argue, you should have just spent the money on a Better camera and let the doorbell be the doorbell. ;-)
Yeah, you're probably right - thanks. I like the form factor and don't need the two-way communication or push notifications (since BI and Homeseer alert me before someone even pushes the button). In addition to privacy, I didn't like the idea of uploading 20GB per day but it looks like it only streams to the cloud when I'm actively using the app (??). So I suppose I can live with it... Or I can just block the ports at the router.

If someone can recommend a good ~$120 POE, IP camera with a similar or smaller form factor, then I'm all ears...

Edit: By the way, I tried to change the gateway and DNS to fake addresses using IVMS-4200. That seemed to stop it from communicating outside my LAN (maybe? I don't know how to packet capture but the RCA app stopped working). But then the camera rebooted itself multiple times for unknown reasons. So I switched added back the correct gateway/DNS servers and am now just blocking ports for its IP address.

Reaction score
Are you running zoneminder and BI together or just ZM?
I am currently just running ZoneMinder right now. Quite frankly, I am thinking about switching because ZoneMinder has been giving me issues. I much prefer Linux over Windows, but I might need to bite the bullet and switch to Blue Iris and see how it goes.

bcslaam

n3wb
Reaction score
I gather you use a vpn and dont rely on their apps to push notifications? Im yet to realise instant push notifications with BI. It seems its not quite up to the task of replacing a doorbell app.
Am I missing something?

Reaction score
I gather you use a vpn and dont rely on their apps to push notifications? Im yet to realise instant push notifications with BI. It seems its not quite up to the task of replacing a doorbell app.
Am I missing something?
I have been using the Hik Connect app for push notifications, live viewing, and video playback. But, now that I have switched ISPs and AT&T is giving me trouble with the video playback, I need to find an alternate solution for video playback. I expect I will continue to use Hik Connect (or one of the sister apps) for push notifications, but use ZM/BI/etc. for video playback. It is far from ideal, so I hope I can work with AT&T to figure out how to unblock the video playback issue.

fcol

n3wb
Reaction score
Am I missing something?
I use a VPN and don't really need the RCA app. BI instant push notifications work for me but they don't include images. It seemed like that was a more recent feature (?) but I'm probably 4-6 months behind the latest BI version. In BI, I send an image as an MMS which is near-instant most of the time (sometimes there is a delay). But I have a driveway gate with sensors so I get notifications (from Homeseer) as soon as the gate is opened. Homeseer then triggers BI to send images of my driveway (and now front porch). Sooner or later, I'll set up motion detection with this RCA camera in BI and have that trigger events, too. So that's why I personally don't need a notification when someone actually pushes the doorbell button.

KlaverBoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Today i finally figured it out how to add the Ezviz-DB1 in the Surveillance Station from Synology. So now i do not need the app anymore. For push notifications i receive snapshots (triggered with my domotica system) from pushover and for motion detection i'm using Surveillance Station. For who is interested, just ask and i will tell you the steps to perform.

Aocam

n3wb
Reaction score
So my testing with laview is done. I found , same as others, that I cannot use hik tools (connect, Ivms) because laview uses its one directory and I get camera already registered error. Question to ALL, is it worth to unregister it form laview and recreate under rca or hik directly to use someone else app on the phone or stay laview? Does anyone else have cool functions that I could use all just about the same ?

Answer for someone who wanted to use both angled plates down and left. I found appropriate longer screws at nearest Lowes and so far so good .

Attachments

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I installed the the LaView last night and initial impressions are good. I am mostly comparing it to Nest Hello that was up and I have to say the image is a lot better than the Nest. I attached a few images comparing the different lighting options and a couple images from the Nest.

Attachments

2ndLeaf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can the app run on Google Home Hub or Lenovo Smart Display? I am looking for a stationary monitor solution at home so people without smart phone can still talk to visitors before opening door.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting that LaView latest version to upgrade to is still FW v5.2.4 build 190103 instead of latest from RCA v5.2.4 build 190124. Can you post screenshot of the LaView ONE app device config page for the doorbell? Want to see how it compares to the other rebrand apps. Especially curious if any Amazon Alexa setting is in the LaView ONE app or the LaView cloud backend for Amazon integration.

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a LaView Halo so it may be a little different with the RCA. I know LaView One will not work with Google Home Hub. It states it has Alexa support but I don't have a device to test with.

I currently have a Fire Tablet with LaView One installed. It is mounted to the wall, next to a USB outlet using a magnetic ball mount. This was originally installed before the Google Home Hub was announced, but I thing . Here is the mount I am using. I will get a picture of my setup tonight to post.

I now prefer this over the Home Hub as I can run apps (LaView One) on it as well. When the door bell rings I get the same push/call that you get on the phone version. In addition if you want to run video 24/7 you can use the LAN View to keep the stream local. I was originally doing this with my Nest but was using twice the internet bandwidth, video going up then back down.

I now prefer this over the Home Hub as I can run apps (LaView One) on it as well. When the door bell rings I get the same push/call that you get on the phone version. In addition if you want to run video 24/7 you can use the LAN View to keep the stream local. I was originally doing this with my Nest but was using twice the internet bandwidth, video going up then back down.

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting that LaView latest version to upgrade to is still FW v5.2.4 build 190103 instead of latest from RCA v5.2.4 build 190124. Can you post screenshot of the LaView ONE app device config page for the doorbell? Want to see how it compares to the other rebrand apps. Especially curious if any Amazon Alexa setting is in the LaView ONE app or the LaView cloud backend for Amazon integration.

I have not found anywhere in the app that Alexa is enabled/disabled. I did notice IFTTT was missing :(

Attachments

bookemdano

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a tangential comment, but I wonder if it could be possible (say on a rooted Android device maybe) to figure out where the app is storing the fw upgrade file and pull it out from there. It could then be flashed manually via ivms-4200. Seems like an avenue maybe worth checking out for someone who has the time and skillset.

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have not found anywhere in the app that Alexa is enabled/disabled. I did notice IFTTT was missing :(
I just enabled the Alexa Skill and it took me to the following site to authorize https://iot.hicloudcam.com/login.jsp

I added the LaView One Alexa skill to my account. After Discovery it did show in my list of Alexa devices. It also displayed in the Alexa iOS app, but no camera viewing available in the Alexa app. I have a Fire Tablet that has "Alexa mode" that I will try with tonight.

Attachments

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the screenshots for your LaView HALO doorbell variant. I would've expected IFTTT settings would be under "More" on bottom of main page of ONE app like it is located in the Ezviz app.

Thanks for confirming Alexa so it's definitely different than RCA as I can't get Alexa app to recognize the RCA HSDB2.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If someone grabs the packets off the network when the system downloads the firmware I bet you could grab it from
There. Mine is already updated or I would do it.

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the screenshots for your LaView HALO doorbell variant. I would've expected IFTTT settings would be under "More" on bottom of main page of ONE app like it is located in the Ezviz app.

Thanks for confirming Alexa so it's definitely different than RCA as I can't get Alexa app to recognize the RCA HSDB2.
IFTTT is not included on the "More" screen. I searched the app and cant find it anywhere.

I am running Google Mini's throughout the hose for my "chime". Nest would announce someone is at the front door so I was hoping to use IFTTT if they had a trigger for doorbell button push.

Attachments

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IFTTT is not included on the "More" screen. I searched the app and cant find it anywhere.

I am running Google Mini's throughout the hose for my "chime". Nest would announce someone is at the front door so I was hoping to use IFTTT if they had a trigger for doorbell button push.
I guess there is one negative feature of the ONE app compared to the Ezviz app. I use IFTTT on my other Ezviz compatible IPC's and on HSDB1(when I owned it in the past year).

Where and how did you enable Alexa skill for the HALO? I still can't get Alexa skills to discover it as a device even though I went through your link to authorize.

Attachments

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess there is one negative feature of the ONE app compared to the Ezviz app. I use IFTTT on my other Ezviz compatible IPC's and on HSDB1(when I owned it in the past year).

Where and how did you enable Alexa skill for the HALO? I still can't get Alexa skills to discover it as a device even though I went through your link to authorize.
I just logged into my Amazon account and searched for LaView One skill.
https://www.amazon.com/LaView-Technology-ONE/dp/B07CZ44RM4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=laview&qid=1551808733&s=digital-skills&sr=1-1-catcorr

From there it enabled it and took me to the link I posted to authorize my LaView Account.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.