New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought the Hikvision NSC-DB2 and am using the Ezviz app and also have it installed on Blue Iris. So far great image quality both day and night. I am going to have to make an additional wedge to get the camera rotated more toward the door unless someone has a good alternative? While I have a reasonable Wifi signal with a few occasional No Signal on Blue Iris, the app gives internet errors frequently when trying to use it? I also tried using the PIR detection but it seems like when I was using the PIR and was at the front door testing it would just keep sending notifications with very little delay between them. I was hoping there was some way to increase the delay before ti would trigger again, but doesn't appear to be available in the app. Does anyone use the PIR or just use the BI for motion detection. I thinking the only thing I would use the app for is answering the doorbell. Appreciate comments on how you are the using the doorbell.
You might consider this mount Nest Doorbell Mount, even though it is for the Nest, people have got it to work with this Doorbell. See message #631

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had anyone figured out how to get the RCA logo off the firmware? I hid it with overlays in BI but would like to get rid of it all together in the camera with a firmware update or hack. I tried finding a way by reading the custom Hikvision firmware guide but couldn’t figure it out.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Had anyone figured out how to get the RCA logo off the firmware? I hid it with overlays in BI but would like to get rid of it all together in the camera with a firmware update or hack. I tried finding a way by reading the custom Hikvision firmware guide but couldn’t figure it out.
I seemed to remember reading a few messages here that in iVMS-4200 you can uncheck the Logo there, I am sure you might of already checked that, but if not look in Live Image and Playback or Image settings in System Configuration. I have the LaView with no Logo so I can't say for sure if this is your fix.

Last edited:

JoshJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while, and just received my RCA HSDB2A yesterday. installation and setup was easy.
I thought I read somewhere that the latest firmware supported ONVIF and ONVIF motion events. I'm running the latest firmware (according to the RCA Security app), but the ONVIF Device Manager doesn't discover the doorbell (either with auto-discovery, or if I manually provide the doorbell's IP).

So, are any of you able to use ONVIF Device Manager with the RCA version of the doorbell, or was that only with another vendors firmware?

I can record the RTSP stream with my VMS as-is, but I was really hoping to get the ONVIF motion events.

Thanks for your input.

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while, and just received my RCA HSDB2A yesterday. installation and setup was easy.
I thought I read somewhere that the latest firmware supported ONVIF and ONVIF motion events. I'm running the latest firmware (according to the RCA Security app), but the ONVIF Device Manager doesn't discover the doorbell (either with auto-discovery, or if I manually provide the doorbell's IP).

So, are any of you able to use ONVIF Device Manager with the RCA version of the doorbell, or was that only with another vendors firmware?

I can record the RTSP stream with my VMS as-is, but I was really hoping to get the ONVIF motion events.

Thanks for your input.
I can confirm ONVIF motion events (using the PIR) work with the latest firmware available for the LaView version of the doorbell, which is v5.2.4 190716 at the time of this post. I bet there are different forks of the Hikvision firmware, so perhaps RCA hasn't gotten around to enabling ONVIF with theirs yet?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand that both the rca and laview can be used with blue iris, since these are onvif, can they also be run to a dahua nvr?

JoshJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand that both the rca and laview can be used with blue iris, since these are onvif, can they also be run to a dahua nvr?
Based on my (limited) experience with the RCA version, it is not ONVIF. BUT, if your NVR can record a password-protected RTSP stream, then you should still be good-to-go for recording.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently posted that RCA firmware was at 7.2.4 build 190724 but I was mistaken. It’s actually 7.2.4 build 190124.. I misread it. Oops. Anyone know where I can get the LaView or Nelly’s firmware so I can upgrade mine to the latest version?

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Nelly one claims 3MP @ 30FPS

iVMS-4200 doesn't offer a 30FPS option on my RCA.

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe Nelly's has updated firmware. From the comment on their youtube video it sounds like they have made updates (2 weeks ago?):

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5b0veYAZXs
does this one work with blue iris like the first gen1 one?

Nelly's Security
2 months ago
Just through the mainstream. The doorbell has no substream

Nelly's Security
2 weeks ago
Update, there is now a main and substream. Works great with BI

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the input on the additional wedges for the NSC-DB2. Ended up making one out of wood and it met the wife's approval. I really like this camera. Well built and good image quality. I had some audio issues with the Ezviz app but when I went to the Hik-Connect (thanks Nellys) it is working great. I do notice when I use the app I seem to get an occasional signal loss in the BI stats. My WiFi is not the greatest. I had about 10 Signal Loss yesterday. Don't know if that is normal or not. On the Ezviz app there are 3 image setting Standard, HD, and Ultra HD. On the Hik-Connect there is only Standard and HD. I did verify it will do the 30FPS.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WiFi issues are usually a sign of an underpowered transformer. I have read a lot of people’s issues going away once they upgrade to the 30va or higher transformer. If you do the math the standard 10va nutone contractor grade transformers are right on the edge of being undersized. I am using an Edwards. It has been good.

Edwards Signaling 598 120V... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007B79HR2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WiFi issues are usually a sign of an underpowered transformer. I have read a lot of people’s issues going away once they upgrade to the 30va or higher transformer. If you do the math the standard 10va nutone contractor grade transformers are right on the edge of being undersized. I am using an Edwards. It has been good.

Edwards Signaling 598 120V... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007B79HR2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I might give that a try when the weather is a little cooler in the attic. I only checked the voltage and it was at 21 volts no load.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah check the VA rating on the transformer. You may be okay. If it’s 10va you should replace it. Especially since it’s already located in a hot location. My old one was wicked hot when I had the first gen Hikvision (Nelly’s) on it and it is on my service panel in the basement. It was just a little more than it could handle efficiently. .

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited: