New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Reaction score
Be certain your phone is connected to the 5GHz network BEFORE starting the EZViz app for setup.
If possible, kill the app or restart the phone and start over.
  • Connect to 5GHz network with the phone
  • Start the EZViz app
  • You should now be able to select the 5GHz network.
Thx it worked !

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In terms of the differences in hardware, etc.. between the RCA, Nellys, EZVIZ models... they are identical right? The only difference is the firmware right? but from my understanding you can flash whatever firmware you want?
If you haven't already seen the '101' post (#1376), it has a lot of good info:
#1,376

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In terms of the differences in hardware, etc.. between the RCA, Nellys, EZVIZ models... they are identical right? The only difference is the firmware right? but from my understanding you can flash whatever firmware you want?
Don't buy the RCA variant if you want to receive newer firmware and good support. I have an RCA HSDB2A which is supposed to be identical to the Ezviz DB1 and LaView ONE Halo but can't get Alexa nor Google assistant to recognize it as a capable device.

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
mmm.. in terms of 'compatible' chimes... i am struggling because i am in Australia and the ones listed are not even available in Australia?

Necro

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, my doorbell just went offline and I can't get it to reset. Is there something special you need to do? Light is still blue around the button but holding the button in does nothing.

Ok...this is weird. It's offline in the EZViz app but not via the stream. And the doorbell isn't ringing when it's pressed either, which is a huge problem.

And...turning the breaker on and off fixed it but I don't like that it happened. :/

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, my doorbell just went offline and I can't get it to reset. Is there something special you need to do? Light is still blue around the button but holding the button in does nothing.

Ok...this is weird. It's offline in the EZViz app but not via the stream. And the doorbell isn't ringing when it's pressed either, which is a huge problem.

And...turning the breaker on and off fixed it but I don't like that it happened. :/
When I read messages like this I think transformer. So many have fixed their random issues like this with a more powerful transformer. I went back on your messages, what size trans. do you have?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Range for 5GHz is shorter (it's a physics problem). Are you able to see that network from your phone when it is located at the same place as the doorbell? I don't think it has anything to do with the firmware.

Also want to report some observations:
My doorbell occasionally disconnects from the cloud server (which I still use for phone notification and two way calls). It could be due to my ISP changing IP or anything else. When it does, after a short timeout, the wifi radio seem to reload itself and everything gets reconnected. I observe that the rtsp stream gets interrupted for a couple of seconds when this happens. When this occurs too much within a short period of time (I don't know what the period is) the wifi does a factory reset. I think that's what triggered my doorbell losing it's wifi settings.
So I went back on your messages and you purchased yours in May this year. Have you been having these problems since then?

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I went back on your messages and you purchased yours in May this year. Have you been having these problems since then?
I had frequent problems with the doorbell going offline and not coming back until I power cycled it. It would happen once or twice a week. I went as far as putting the transformer on a zwave switch and made it power cycle automatically when my stream was interrupted. Since upgrading to the Laview firmware this has never occurred. I just saw this one failure mode once which I think is due to my complex internet failover/aggregation setup which has me have multiple IPs. The local stream seems to always work until the doorbell reloads its wifi module. It apparently reloads the wifi module when it lose connection with the cloud server. I have never had to power cycle my transformer since the firmware upgrade.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've started a new post on the Monocle forum for use of the HIKVISION OEM Doorbell (AKA RCA, EZVIZ, LAVIEW, NELLY'S, LTS) ==> Monocle Forum

The Monocle Amazon Alexa app lets you view your RTSP cameras on the Amazon Show devices. "Alexa show me the front door doorbell camera".

It does this without using the cloud (local reverse proxy thing).

Give the app a try with your RTSP cameras. It works fine with my two testing HikVision cameraboards today.

I have read that there is something relating to the cloud application in the RTSP stream that is preventing the Monocle Alexa app from working with the Hikvision OEM Doorbell.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had frequent problems with the doorbell going offline and not coming back until I power cycled it. It would happen once or twice a week. I went as far as putting the transformer on a zwave switch and made it power cycle automatically when my stream was interrupted. Since upgrading to the Laview firmware this has never occurred. I just saw this one failure mode once which I think is due to my complex internet failover/aggregation setup which has me have multiple IPs. The local stream seems to always work until the doorbell reloads its wifi module. It apparently reloads the wifi module when it lose connection with the cloud server. I have never had to power cycle my transformer since the firmware upgrade.
Well it is good news about the firmware fixing some of your issue. Bad that you are still having issues. So is it fair to say the Doorbell IS Dependent on the cloud in order to work? In other words, an Internet connection (to their cloud) is a Must in order for the DB to operate or the DB will reset the WiFi settings.
You know that seems strange as I know we have had some Internet interruptions (downtime), since I have installed this DB and I have not had to touch the DB since install back in July.
Is this a blue battery (CMOS like) in the unit? I remember reading some messages mentioning a battery. Maybe yours is bad? Just thinking out loud...

1577063620363.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've started a new post on the Monocle forum for use of the HIKVISION OEM Doorbell (AKA RCA, EZVIZ, LAVIEW, NELLY'S, LTS) ==> Monocle Forum

The Monocle Amazon Alexa app lets you view your RTSP cameras on the Amazon Show devices. "Alexa show me the front door doorbell camera".

It does this without using the cloud (local reverse proxy thing).

Give the app a try with your RTSP cameras. It works fine with my two testing HikVision cameraboards today.

I have read that there is something relating to the cloud application in the RTSP stream that is preventing the Monocle Alexa app from working with the Hikvision OEM Doorbell.
If you don't mind, I want to add your message to the 101...Awesome News Pete...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No i do not.
So you have no existing wiring correct? Only reason I ask is all of the work required to run wire from Doorbell to a transformer, that is connected to constant power, then from transformer to a Chime, then run wire from Chime back to the Doorbell, you may consider one of these Doorbells with wireless Chime...If wiring is not a problem for you then you are in the right Forum.

1577065812088.png

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you don't mind, I want to add your message to the 101...Awesome News Pete...

There was already a couple of old threads there about the doorbell. The monocle skill is just a stream address forwarder while the gateway can convert/modify/proxy a stream. This will definitely need the stream to be manipulated or for the alexa show stream software to be able to handle the stream.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There was already a couple of old threads there about the doorbell. The monocle skill is just a stream address forwarder while the gateway can convert/modify/proxy a stream. This will definitely need the stream to be manipulated or for the alexa show stream software to be able to handle the stream.

Wow, that is the Forum/Thread that I mentioned to Akumashinto that I forgot. Not only did I forget, I got it mixed up with tinyCam. Thank You. I remember you and Chad being on there. Hopefully pete_c will get their (Monocle) interest back into fixing this for us...

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wonder if there is something in that modified RTSP stream that is including a unique HW identifier for RCA HSDB2A doorbell causing Hikvision's cloud to reject it for Alexa/Google skills enablement. I did see at least one user review on Amazon for the Laview Skills enabling the Laview ONE halo doorbell for Echo Show after that user lowered video from Hi-Def to Standard. Lowering my video setting from UHD to Std still didn't work for me so back to drawing board.

May have to just live with my existing local rtsp streaming from MotionEye workaround to Echo Show via it's Fefox built-in browser but it's not 100% voice controlled for the kids. Hope Amazon Alexa will enhance Routines in future updates to include pinned url so I can say "show doorbell feed" which turns on action to display pinned MotionEye url eliminating the manual clicks on Echo Show's screen.