New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

BiZaRrO

n3wb
Reaction score
Ezviz firmware 191211 appears to not support onvif, although this is only verified by the lack of response on port 80, instead of the delivery of a 404 error on firmware 190625 at

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can someone please post a short video of how it sounds like when you press the outside unit and also how it sounds inside with your existing chime?

delid4ve

n3wb
Reaction score
Have successfully upgraded my ezviz unit to laView firmware to integrate into openhab. Is there a link anywhere to the onvif commands / urls for the api as they are not standard hikvision urls by the looks of it

The main thing is for event notifications such as door bell press / motion

Last edited:

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here are the sounds:
Thanks @Emiks5

Hmm i am a little worried. I ended up purchasing a "HONEYWELL FRIEDLAND D117" which is a 16v doorbell chime. I also got a 16V AC 1.25A transformer.

I've wired it up on my test bench just to see how all the wiring works before I wire it up properly. I was really worried that a single press of the front doorbell only plays one "ding dong" inside the home, and it is not very loud at all.... I am coming from a RING doorbell which is extremely loud inside the home and it rings for a few seconds throughout the home which obviously you can hear no problem at all.

Any suggestions?

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @Emiks5

Hmm i am a little worried. I ended up purchasing a "HONEYWELL FRIEDLAND D117" which is a 16v doorbell chime. I also got a 16V AC 1.25A transformer.

I've wired it up on my test bench just to see how all the wiring works before I wire it up properly. I was really worried that a single press of the front doorbell only plays one "ding dong" inside the home, and it is not very loud at all.... I am coming from a RING doorbell which is extremely loud inside the home and it rings for a few seconds throughout the home which obviously you can hear no problem at all.

Any suggestions?
In fact this was the honeywel 117 you were hearing. And it only gives one dingdong and is not very loud, which I like. I use a 12v 1.5 amp trafo. But still you have your phone notification. The chime of the db1 outside wil not add much to that sound inside the house I’m afraid. But it chimes nicely through the neighbourhood.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @Emiks5

Any suggestions?
In fact this was the honeywel 117 you were hearing. And it only gives one dingdong and is not very loud, which I like. I use a 12v 1.5 amp trafo. But still you have your phone notification. The chime of the db1 outside wil not add much to that sound inside the house I’m afraid. But it chimes nicely through the neighbourhood.
Sounds like both of you guys are under powered. While on your test bench, do not hook up the Smart Doorbell, instead connect a switch or standard Doorbell button and test your Chime. If it works like it is suppose to (Ding AND Dong and Loud) then you guys are under powered with your transformers. You both are ok with the 16volts of your transformers, it is your Load (va) that needs to increase. I know you are not here in the US but you should be able to find a higher rated Load transformer that can handle both the Smart Doorbell and Chime together when button is pressed.

Found this article: Nest Hello - Doorbell Chime With Integrated Transformer UK (220-240V AC - 16V AC) (Keep in mind most Smart Doorbells, Ring, Nest, etc. pretty much has the same power requirements as our Doorbell)

Last edited:

indieaz

n3wb
Reaction score
I picked up the RCA hsdb2a a few days ago. When I initially powered it up my mechanical chime vibrated angrily and the camera had no power. I disconnected the white power pack and the vibrating almost completely stopped and the camera powered on. So I thought I was good, but then when night came and the IR light went on the chime started fainly dinging sporadically. IF i shined a light at the camera to make the IR light kick off the chime would calm back down.

I figured my 16v/10va transformer was to blame and not providing sufficient power. So I got a 16v/30va one and installed it. Now the camera powers up and works with the power pack connected, but I still get a faint humming/vibrating and when the IR light kicks on at night it starts buzzing more loudly and the chime beings to sporadically ring.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the camera gets on wifi and works just fine aside from causing my chime to freak out.

plomaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can someone confirm whether these doorbell cams work with Google Wifi? I've heard there may be issues with some doorbell cams connecting to routers that have combined 2.4/5GHz so wanted to confirm prior to purchase. I've searched on this thread but couldn't find solid confirmation. Also, any idea on WiFi signal strength required to get a solid consistent connection? Thanks in advance.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I picked up the RCA hsdb2a a few days ago. When I initially powered it up my mechanical chime vibrated angrily and the camera had no power. I disconnected the white power pack and the vibrating almost completely stopped and the camera powered on. So I thought I was good, but then when night came and the IR light went on the chime started fainly dinging sporadically. IF i shined a light at the camera to make the IR light kick off the chime would calm back down.

I figured my 16v/10va transformer was to blame and not providing sufficient power. So I got a 16v/30va one and installed it. Now the camera powers up and works with the power pack connected, but I still get a faint humming/vibrating and when the IR light kicks on at night it starts buzzing more loudly and the chime beings to sporadically ring.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the camera gets on wifi and works just fine aside from causing my chime to freak out.
You may have a faulty power kit. Which transformer did you get? I would check voltages at each connection, Trans., Chime, Doorbell with a Volt Meter. If you have an Amp Meter then it would also help.

16v 10va vs. 16v 30va Doorbell Transformer This may help to see what volts you need as well as Load.

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like both of you guys are under powered. While on your test bench, do not hook up the Smart Doorbell, instead connect a switch or standard Doorbell button and test your Chime. If it works like it is suppose to (Ding AND Dong and Loud) then you guys are under powered with your transformers. You both are ok with the 16volts of your transformers, it is your Load (va) that needs to increase. I know you are not here in the US but you should be able to find a higher rated Load transformer that can handle both the Smart Doorbell and Chime together when button is pressed.

Found this article: Nest Hello - Doorbell Chime With Integrated Transformer UK (220-240V AC - 16V AC) (Keep in mind most Smart Doorbells, Ring, Nest, etc. pretty much has the same power requirements as our Doorbell)
Thanks David for the suggestion. In my case I have a 12 V 18 VA trafo, and i’m having no real difficulties. Chime works fine even if the IR led is on and the db1 chime itself is on ( which I dont like for other reasons, so I switched it off). Notifications are fast and almost always correct. I did install the powerpack. The only thing I’m not happy with is the fact that as soon as de db1 itself starts recording because of movement, my motioneye-rpi, which also records on movement skips en few seconds. But thats really all . I am very happy with this setup.

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can someone confirm whether these doorbell cams work with Google Wifi? I've heard there may be issues with some doorbell cams connecting to routers that have combined 2.4/5GHz so wanted to confirm prior to purchase. I've searched on this thread but couldn't find solid confirmation. Also, any idea on WiFi signal strength required to get a solid consistent connection? Thanks in advance.
I can only confirm that it works on a 2.4/5ghz wifi router and can work on 5Ghz. Allthough it needs quite a strong wifi signal, which in my case, because of the thick walls, meant that I had to use it on 2.4 ghz an a AP close (2.5m) to the doorbell.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks David for the suggestion. In my case I have a 12 V 18 VA trafo, and i’m having no real difficulties. Chime works fine even if the IR led is on and the db1 chime itself is on ( which I dont like for other reasons, so I switched it off). Notifications are fast and almost always correct. I did install the powerpack. The only thing I’m not happy with is the fact that as soon as de db1 itself starts recording because of movement, my motioneye-rpi, which also records on movement skips en few seconds. But thats really all . I am very happy with this setup.
Great News, yes we have had our DB for 6 months now and we are very happy with it as well. There are SO Many options you can do with this DB, where Ring/Nest has almost ZERO. So, so glad I found this Forum, everyone here helped me make the decision to buy this DB.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have Google WiFi, but their Mesh network is top of the line, I don't see where you would have any problems. As long as you can connect via 2.4GHz if needed then you should be good. Do you have the 3 Pack setup? Where is the closest one to your Doorbell (distance)? Will say, this Doorbell is not the best with WiFi range though, but on the 2.4 Band it seems pretty solid. Alot of the DYIers here have Ubiquiti networks...
Sorry, I know you are looking for someone else with Google WiFi to answer your question, hopefully someone will Chime In (Funny but I find myself using more Doorbell puns these days)

bigrob444

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've purchased a few of this doorbell cameras as christmas presents for my family. Over all, they love the image quality. However, they all complain that they have to relog into app (they're using LaView One on iOS) after a day or so, which slows them down when someone presses the doorbell. Anyone else having the same problem?
I have the SAME problem using the RCA app. It's not everyday, but it's close to every 2-3 days I am on iOS

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the SAME problem using the RCA app. It's not everyday, but it's close to every 2-3 days I am on iOS
So the Doorbell is not actually disconnecting from the network correct? Only the App is making you re-login? Have you tried different Apps?

bigrob444

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the Doorbell is not actually disconnecting from the network correct? Only the App is making you re-login? Have you tried different Apps?
That is correct, everything is fine on the network side. If I open the RCA app, it asks for my password. Sometimes I can kill the app and reopen it and it will NOT ask for my password for a few more hours, really weird. I haven't tried a different app yet. Is there a ranking on which apps are better?