New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We installed our today. Our door did not have a doorbell wire since it had a wireless one from the previous home owner so we had to run a wire and install transformer for it

The transformer we brought have 3 volts to choose from. 8v 16v 24v. We hook it up to the 16v for now since we don’t have chime installed for it yet.

After we popped off the door trim, we noticed that there were no insulation in it so we add some inside it with the wires.

We are going to take white cover off again and mask off the button area at bottom of the doorbell cover the paint the top 3/4 black so the button is more obvious that it’s so a button to press.
Nice Install. Yeah I like the Hikvision Face Plates:

1580751828245.png

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
i don’t think it matters which firmware Version you use. I have not found any of them have changed the URLs or provided any significant features beyond ONVIF support. I too would like snapshot capability but lest I left this route defeated. None of the urls I have for Hikvision work on this camera. I’ve spent hours on analyzing the PCAP and was the trail blazer on many things regarding this camera. I would love to hack the firmware from this, and one of Hikvisions other devices and find a way to add a web server. Also add features from other cameras. I’m sure the hardware isn’t the limitation. It’s merely they have chosen not to enable these features for some reason.
Hi

i've turned off the setting "Image Encryption" in the Ezviz app and power cycled the doorbell camera.

However I still think encryption is enabled because VLC on my PC and an IP Camera app I just installed on my FireTV stick both are still prompting and expecting a username and password.

I have tried using these URLs:

rtsp:/192.168.1.100:554/
rtsp:/192.168.1.100:554/h264_stream
rtsp:/192.168.1.100:554/ch1/sub/av_stream

Is my understanding correct if I turn off the Image Encryption option I should then be able to access the RTSP stream without being prompted to login ?

Thanks

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi

I just bought an Ezviz DB1 doorbell camera. I am in the UK and I also bought a mechanical chime and AC/DC transformer. I have everything working with the chime and Ezviz app etc,

However I cannot seem to get a snapshot.jpg URL working or Onvif.

I need a jpeg snapshot so I can integrate the doorbell camera in to my Home Automation system (Vera with Imperihome app).
Yeah, the only way I was able to get snapshot for my doorbell was a workaround that I used to get my RCA HSDB2 to live feed to my Alexa Show 8 units which was to use MotionEye. In Motioneye, it generated a snaphot url for me to use in my Home Automation Dashboard.
1580752515504.png

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi

i've turned off the setting "Image Encryption" in the Ezviz app and power cycled the doorbell camera.

However I still think encryption is enabled because VLC on my PC and an IP Camera app I just installed on my FireTV stick both are still prompting and expecting a username and password.

I have tried using these URLs:

rtsp:/192.168.1.100:554/
rtsp:/192.168.1.100:554/h264_stream
rtsp:/192.168.1.100:554/ch1/sub/av_stream

Is my understanding correct if I turn off the Image Encryption option I should then be able to access the RTSP stream without being prompted to login ?

Thanks
It will prompt for user & pwd even with image encryption disabled. I never tried using "user: password" in the url as I don't like having that exposed in my URLs but suspect that would work like any other camera stream. I use the streamed URL from my motioneye to not have to enter username & pwd as I only have to enter that once in motioneye config for any of my cameras.

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
It will prompt for user & pwd even with image encryption disabled. I never tried using "user: password" in the url as I don't like having that exposed in my URLs but suspect that would work like any other camera stream. I use the streamed URL from my motioneye to not have to enter username & pwd as I only have to enter that once in motioneye config for any of my cameras.
Yes adding the username and password does work in VLC on my PC for example.

However that does not work for the Android Imperihome Home Automation app. So it looks like I cannot add this doorbell cam in to Imperihome which sucks.

I am not familiar with Motion Eye software, where are you running that on which device ?

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Emiks5

I for one would appreciate access to the June/older/safe 190625
Thanks in Advance

"If only someone here were able to reverse engineer these firmware files".
I am afraid I was mistaken. Looking a little further it was this download (Mar 4, 2019): mentioned in this post of JSnP. So it must be an older version of the firmware, which is stil avaialable via that link btw.

So we are still looking for someone who did downl;oad the early version of the 190625 version of the Nelly's firmware. Sorry for this

Reaction score
You can actually break down these firmware .DAV files using the Python-based binwalk utility. The problem is, it doesn't appear to be Linux-based, but possibly vxWorks RTOS. FYI, if I had to guess what the CN2 connection is for, it may be alarm outputs, since one pin is GROUND and the other three all have 3v3DC on them.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes adding the username and password does work in VLC on my PC for example.

However that does not work for the Android Imperihome Home Automation app. So it looks like I cannot add this doorbell cam in to Imperihome which sucks.

I am not familiar with Motion Eye software, where are you running that on which device ?
I host my motioneye on RPi3+B as I had spare one laying around and it's compact but others have installed on more beefier box. I will move it to a RPi4 when I pick up one later this summer. I mainly run SmartThings home automation at my house since it work well with my NVR security, home alarm, IoT, Alexa, etc.

Last edited:

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
I've just installed TinyCam Pro on my Android phone that app connects OK to the DB1 Doorbell if I enter the username and password in the rtsp URL.

Seems this Imperihome app I am using for my HA, is just no good at connecting to cams with a username and password with rtsp.

Although saying that I have an older IP cam that has an rtsp stream and no authentication, TinyCam Pro, VLC etc can connect to that camera's stream with no username and password specified at all.

So I tried that camera in Imperihome app instead and it still doesn't connect and gives the same connection errors as with the DB1.

Maybe Imperihome can't cope with rtsp streams at all ?

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe send email to Imperihome support to see if there are any plans to allow RTSP without user & pwd in the future if there are no workarounds. I originally started with TinyCam before I moved over to MotionEye on RPi as I preferred hosting my cameras there instead of android phone. I still have TinyCam on my phone as a backup so use it every once in a blue moon.

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe send email to Imperihome support to see if there are any plans to allow RTSP without user & pwd in the future if there are no workarounds. I originally started with TinyCam before I moved over to MotionEye on RPi as I preferred hosting my cameras there instead of android phone. I still have TinyCam on my phone as a backup so use it every once in a blue moon.
Yeah I've just emailed Imperihome support.

My other older cam is a cheap china special and that has rtsp with no authentication and that doesn't work in Imperihome either.

Imperihome support page say rtsp should work without authentication. so I was surprised that camera didn't work either.

They both come up with a similar error, error streaming errcode 100/0

So as a work around I need to run Motion Eye or something. Can I use TinyCam Pro to create me a snapshot stream I can then use in Imperihome app ?

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah I've just emailed Imperihome support.

My other older cam is a cheap china special and that has rtsp with no authentication and that doesn't work in Imperihome either.

Imperihome support page say rtsp should work without authentication. so I was surprised that camera didn't work either.

They both come up with a similar error, error streaming errcode 100/0

So as a work around I need to run Motion Eye or something. Can I use TinyCam Pro to create me a snapshot stream I can then use in Imperihome app ?
Sorry, don't know if there is snapshot in TinyCam as I didn't get that far into playing with that app before spinning up the RPi3 and never looking back. Hopefully, you'll get a workaround from Imperihome support team on the RTSP issue.

aralos1999

n3wb
Reaction score
You can get snapshot in TinyCam and that's the way I get around the lack of snapshot in EZVIZ DB1 with the stock firmware.

From TinyCam API:

JPEG and MJPEG video requests
Guest and admin. The /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi is used to request a Motion JPEG video stream with specified arguments. Request /axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi is used for JPEG.
http://<servername>/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi[?<argument>=<value>[&<argument>=<value>...]]
http://<servername>/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi[?<argument>=<value>[&<argument>=<value>...]]

Parameters:
camera=<int>
Selects the video source. 1..n. Optional.
fps=<int>
Image frame rate. 0 - unlimited. Optional.
compression=<int>
Adjusts the compression level of the image. Higher values correspond to higher compression, that is lower quality and smaller image size. Optional.
resolution=<string>
Resolution [width]x[height] of the returned image, e.g. 640x480. Optional.

Examples:

Last edited:

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
You can get snapshot in TinyCam and that's the way I get around the lack of snapshot in EZVIZ DB1 with the stock firmware.

From TinyCam API:

JPEG and MJPEG video requests
Guest and admin. The /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi is used to request a Motion JPEG video stream with specified arguments. Request /axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi is used for JPEG.
http://<servername>/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi[?<argument>=<value>[&<argument>=<value>...]]
http://<servername>/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi[?<argument>=<value>[&<argument>=<value>...]]

Parameters:
camera=<int>
Selects the video source. 1..n. Optional.
fps=<int>
Image frame rate. 0 - unlimited. Optional.
compression=<int>
Adjusts the compression level of the image. Higher values correspond to higher compression, that is lower quality and smaller image size. Optional.
resolution=<string>
Resolution [width]x[height] of the returned image, e.g. 640x480. Optional.

Examples:
Thanks I wish I read your post 15 minutes ago LOL, would of saved me some time.

Before reading your reply, I turned on the web server in Tinycam Pro and was poking around in their web page source code and found the mjpg URL for the Ezviz DB1 and that URL works in the Imperihome app OK I can see the doorbell cam !

URL was something like this:

However your information is much more detailed, so thank you, I will have a play around with the arguments.

So for now as a work around, I will look at running TinyCam Pro on my wall mounted Amazon Fire 7 (Android Lollipop) tablet with their web server.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice Install. Yeah I like the Hikvision Face Plates:

View attachment 55062

This is what I plan to paint my cover to look like but I am leaving the button white .

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Can two EZVIZ apps be connected to same doorbell?

My wife app kept getting kicked off and asking for a password when she restart it

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

Any ideas if its safe to change the rtsp port number of the Ezviz DB1 doorbell in the Hikvision iVMS-4200 desktop management software ?

My VPN provider can't open up ports on my tunnel below port 2048.

Thanks.

wv1973

n3wb
Reaction score
@wv1973 Thanks for your feedback. Great that it helped you out. Do you know that it is possible to install a onvif supported firmware on your DB1? With the onvif support it is very simple to add the doorbell to your Synology.
No I wasn't aware? would you happen to have a link, and hopefully the link has instructions as clear as the ones your originally provided?
Thank you,
Wade