New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Bill search for iPhone only apps and it will be there.
Well

I am disappointed .... The EZVIZ app isn't available on the iPad2 App store ... I was hoping to repurpose this old iPad2 as a doorbell monitor ... craps! :poop::mad:
Guarding Vision was under iPad category so I decided to go with this app for now and shared it from my master app

We’ll see how good it repurpose the old iPad without using a passcode to unlock it. It pretty much a barren iPad

We’re hoping to use it in kitchen on the wall somewhere if it works out good for us.

mitchrapp

n3wb
Reaction score
One thing sore sure which I liked about the Guarding Vision app over the EZVIZ app is the vibration so far.

I and my wife are both Deaf and we are alerted by feeling the vibration not by the sound. The EZVIZ only vibrates 3 times before stopping while the Guarding Vision vibrates 12 times before stopping if you don't answer it.
Thank you for this! My frustration with the EZVIZ android app was that on doorbell presses, it uses media volume, not ringtone volume. I typically leave my phone in vibrate mode since I am frequently in meetings and don't want ringtones disturbing the meetings. I hated having to have to remember to either turn down the media volume when going to meetings or turning off Receiving Calls from Doorbell (and hence turning them back on after meetings). With the Guarding Vision app, it uses the phone's ringtone volume, not media volume on doorbell presses. It uses it's own ringtone, however. In order to get it to vibrate in doorbell presses, the phone cannot be in silent mode or vibrate mode and you have to set it to ring with vibration. I just set the ringtone volume at it's lowest setting (but not silent) and when I get doorbell pushes, I can barely hear the ringtone, but it vibrates!

Last edited:

Bulldog5

n3wb
Reaction score
So i switched to the Guarding Vision app as well yesterday evening, and it works way better for button press calls than EZVIZ. The only thing I miss is, EZVIZ had the free 3hour cloud video playback feature, I don't see that in Guarding VIsion, I do record to my NVR server anyway, but it was still nice to hit playback right on the PIR notification. If i put a SD card in, would that allow Guarding Vision to do playback?

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, It has recent live view that looks like a 10 sec clip and on the notification at bottom you will see Alarm Event with the PIR playback and the call log with playback for when the DB is pushed that.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
So i switched to the Guarding Vision app as well yesterday evening, and it works way better for button press calls than EZVIZ. The only thing I miss is, EZVIZ had the free 3hour cloud video playback feature, I don't see that in Guarding VIsion, I do record to my NVR server anyway, but it was still nice to hit playback right on the PIR notification. If i put a SD card in, would that allow Guarding Vision to do playback?
Yes

I have a 128 SD card in mine

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Does playback work from SD Storage; if you're away from home. not on the same network?
Yes, it does

Two different type of playback

Notification playback - about 10 seconds long when doorbell is pressed but nobody answer or motion is detected. There a tab listing separating the two

History playback - I can even go all the way back to Feb 1st (the day I first installed the doorbell) and it does places flags on the playback timeline when a motion was detected .

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Bill, that’s the one I have.
If you signed up for an account on EZVIZ app, you can use the same credential to sign in on the Guarding Vision but I would recommend to only have one app signed in and on the device. If you want to add other devices, set up share function in the app and have other device sign in a different account of it own.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you signed up for an account on EZVIZ app, you can use the same credential to sign in on the Guarding Vision but I would recommend to only have one app signed in and on the device. If you want to add other devices, set up share function in the app and have other device sign in a different account of it own.
Right now I have my iPad powered off and I removed the Ezviz app from my phone. Installed Guarding Vision and used same credentials, working great so far. PIR notifications and chime working as expected. I’ll see how it goes and tomorrow install it on iPad. I forget who suggested Guarding Vision but thank you!!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Right now I have my iPad powered off and I removed the Ezviz app from my phone. Installed Guarding Vision and used same credentials, working great so far. PIR notifications and chime working as expected. I’ll see how it goes and tomorrow install it on iPad. I forget who suggested Guarding Vision but thank you!!

I have it on 3 devices now with my iPhone as the master app and the wife phone and ipad with the app set to share from. Been working great so far but there is one thing... I will make a new post on it later. Need further testing.

Morgon

n3wb
Reaction score
Can I ask you when you updated to LaView firmware with your RCA and how old is your RCA? Thank You...

I have not read of this issue but there was once a firmware upgrade that fixed a timezone issue:

You mentioned resetting your TZ, did you do this in your App? Which App?
You may try doing so in the Batch Config. Tool

View attachment 55232
Hi David, thanks for the response! My RCA was purchased on Amazon in October 2018, so a little over a year. I likely flashed it with the LaView 190716 FW around the end of December. Other than the TZ issue (and very periodic bouts of not having motion alarms activate), it's been working pretty well.

I do most everything in my RCA app. The app always reports the correct TZ. When I reset it, I'm just going into the list, tapping on UTC-05:00 (which is always already checked) and saving. It's reflected on the stream about 5-10 seconds later. Next time it happens, I'll try setting it with iVMS/BCT.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys, looking for an SD Card now.
ACCESS VIDEO(s) ON SD-CARD:
⦁ Recommended Micro SD Card; Get a Video Rated Card, V30 works great...
SanDisk 128GB Extreme MicroSDXC

Been going for over 6 months now, no problems. I have experienced problems with slower/cheaper cards in the past on GoPro and other Digital Cameras, a faster card fixed all our video recording issues.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.