New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

I can't seem to get my new Ezviz DB1 doorbell working with Google Home and my ChromeCast device on my TV. The DB1 is using stock Ezviz firmware.

I have a Google Home Mini and its default playback device is set to be the ChromeCast on my TV set.

When I ask the GH Mini to "show doorbell" it says sure streaming doorbell on lounge ChromeCast or words to that effect.

I then just get a black screen on the TV and a progress bar at the bottom and a spinning circle on the bottom left of the screen but the DB1 camera image never loads up.

I connected my Ezviz account in the Google Home app seemingly OK and the "Doorbell" camera device is listed in my Google Home app in my lounge room OK.

I don't have a Google Home Hub screen so cannot test on one of those.

Any ideas why its not working ?

I have ensured "Image Encryption" is turned off and that the "Audio" is turned on in the Ezviz app settings for the camera.

I believe the Google Home / Ezviz integration is cloud 2 cloud and it doesn't just pull the local RTSP stream off the camera into Google Home / ChromeCast. But presumably I don't need to open any ports on my firewall for this to work cloud 2 cloud.

I initially setup the DB1 on my 5GHZ WIFI network as all my GH and ChromeCast devices are on 5GHZ. I then tried resetting the DB1 and adding it to the 2.4GHZ WIFI network instead, but the same issue happens on both. I seem to have a good strong WIFI signal outside on my mobile phone where the doorbell is located, so not sure its a signal strength issue.

A side note I wrote about my Ezviz DB1 doorbell on my blog here and I've integrated it in to my Z-Wave network (Vera Plus) and with Blue Iris to get access to some mjpg and jpg snapshot URLs as I believe the Ezviz DB1 doesn't support mjpg / jpg.

Although looking in the iiVMS-4200 desktop management software under network settings, there is a HTTP port 80 listed in the settings, but I couldn't connect to it anyways.
So one thought/suggestion, try seeing if you can cast via VLC:

1581343978885.png

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
So one thought/suggestion, try seeing if you can cast via VLC:
Good idea I didn't know you could do that with VLC.

So VLC latest version installed on to my Windows 10 laptop. I was able to play an RTSP stream from the DB1 camera in VLC OK and then I selected the Lounge ChromeCast in VLC.

On the TV set it briefly showed the rtsp URL of the DB1 camera and now I have Cast icon in the middle of the screen which is all black and in the bottom right hand corner it says "Live"

But again no camera image is being displayed on the TV.

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have issues with any other devices or apps with the ChromeCast devices. All our Android phones and tablets and Google Home app etc see all the ChromeCast devices round the house OK, we can use the Youtube and Spotify apps OK with the ChromCast devices.

Strange why it doesn't cast the rtsp stream from VLC to the ChromeCast video device, I would of expected that to have worked.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have issues with any other devices or apps with the ChromeCast devices. All our Android phones and tablets and Google Home app etc see all the ChromeCast devices round the house OK, we can use the Youtube and Spotify apps OK with the ChromCast devices.

Strange why it doesn't cast the rtsp stream from VLC to the ChromeCast video device, I would of expected that to have worked.
Yeah that is strange. Unfortunately I am not able to use Google on my LaView to help you more. There are several EZVIZ users here though that should be able to help. In my search online for you all I got was power Chromecast and TV down and back on type help, will continue to search and share anything I find. Have you tried to cast from your Google Home App? Strange you saw a glimpse of your Doorbell. I don't fully understand how casting works but I thought it was just a pass-over of URL info to the Chromecast that is connected to the Internet, like sending it a URL address. But maybe not since you can cast photos and videos from one's phone too.

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
Should it make any difference if the ChromeCast is on 5GHZ WIFI and the DB1 camera is currently on 2.4GHZ WIFI ?

Although it didn't work either when the DB1 was also on the 5GHZ WIFI.

I just switched my laptop from 2.4GHZ to 5GHZ and now I can no longer play the rtsp stream in VLC from the DB1.
Yeah that is strange. Unfortunately I am not able to use Google on my LaView to help you more. There are several EZVIZ users here though that should be able to help. In my search online for you all I got was power Chromecast and TV down and back on type help, will continue to search and share anything I find. Have you tried to cast from your Google Home App? Strange you saw a glimpse of your Doorbell. I don't fully understand how casting works but I thought it was just a pass-over of URL info to the Chromecast that is connected to the Internet, like sending it a URL address. But maybe not since you can cast photos and videos from one's phone too.
I just tried disconnecting the power to the ChromeCast and the DB1 and rebooted my router but still the same.

I've never seen a glimpse of the camera image on the TV screen, when I tried to cast from VLC it initially put up on to the TV screen in white text the rtsp URL of the DB1 and then that disappeared I was left with just a blue Cast icon in the middle of a black screen. No camera image has ever been visible on the TV screen as yet.

Thanks

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Should it make any difference if the ChromeCast is on 5GHZ WIFI and the DB1 camera is currently on 2.4GHZ WIFI ?

Although it didn't work either when the DB1 was also on the 5GHZ WIFI.

I just switched my laptop from 2.4GHZ to 5GHZ and now I can no longer play the rtsp stream in VLC from the DB1.

I just tried disconnecting the power to the ChromeCast and the DB1 and rebooted my router but still the same.

I've never seen a glimpse of the camera image on the TV screen, when I tried to cast from VLC it initially put up on to the TV screen in white text the rtsp URL of the DB1 and then that disappeared I was left with just a blue Cast icon in the middle of a black screen. No camera image has ever been visible on the TV screen as yet.

Thanks
Yeah, I did read that they need to be on the same network. You can cast other video from VLC right? I casted a video I was playing in VLC on my laptop to our LG TV and it worked fine. Just checking that part works for you. I am hoping someone will chime in to help you...

Last edited:

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I did read that they need to be on the same network. You can cast other video from VLC right? I casted a video I was playing in VLC on my laptop to our LG TV and it worked fine. Just checking that part works for you. I am hoping someone will chime in to help you...
Yes I can cast an avi movie playing in VLC on the Windows laptop, to the Chromecast on the TV set OK.

I tried with the laptop on 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi and both times it played the movie OK on the Chromecast.

CHuntMD

n3wb
Reaction score
Well the honeymoon didn't last 24hrs. This morning I checked the EZVIZ app and the Samsung microSDXC 64gb I picked up a few years ago needs to be "initialized". Shows 0% for a split second then shows "abnormal". Searched this thread, found a few hits but not a sure fix. The card specs show it's a Class 10 supports 4k ultra HD. Power cycle the unit?
=======
edit: threw the breaker and after a minute was able to init the sd card.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well the honeymoon didn't last 24hrs. This morning I checked the EZVIZ app and the Samsung microSDXC 64gb I picked up a few years ago needs to be "initialized". Shows 0% for a split second then shows "abnormal". Searched this thread, found a few hits but not a sure fix. The card specs show it's a Class 10 supports 4k ultra HD. Power cycle the unit?
=======
edit: threw the breaker and after a minute was able to init the sd card.
Had that happen to me once, I should of done what you did, I ended up pulling the card and reformatted it on my PC.

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
EZVIZ support suggested the following and I can now stream the DB1 camera image on my TV / Chromecast.

"For the streaming issue, please go to the Live view page on EZVIZ APP to reduce the resolution to Hi-Def then try it again. During this setup, it would be better if you could use the same wifi frequency."

My DB1 is still configured for the 2.4ghz WiFi and my Chromecast is on 5ghz WiFi but it seems to stream now anyway with the lower video resolution.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
EZVIZ support suggested the following and I can now stream the DB1 camera image on my TV / Chromecast.

"For the streaming issue, please go to the Live view page on EZVIZ APP to reduce the resolution to Hi-Def then try it again. During this setup, it would be better if you could use the same wifi frequency."

My DB1 is still configured for the 2.4ghz WiFi and my Chromecast is on 5ghz WiFi but it seems to stream now anyway with the lower video resolution.
Thank You, I will include this in the 101.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Final result after using sharp blade to clean up the edge and scrape off the logo

I would suggest scraping logo off first before painting.

I wish I did this first but managed to scrape it off anyway
This seems to work the best for us. Every person coming to the door now can spot the bell button instantly and press it. Before I painted it, they would be taking several seconds to see which is the actual button to press it when we watch them in the playback.

I think Ezviz should release a cover like the way I painted.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Great, let us know. I need to add this as a possible fix in the 101. Only reason I have not yet is some Apps work different for some Users...
So far........
Guarding Vision does not miss a pir notification when it's on the main menu screen (Guarding Vision icon highlighted at bottom) The vibration pulse on Guarding Vision is longer than on the Ezviz app so it makes it more easier for me to notice it when it's in my pocket (I am Deaf). The share feature seem to work good because my wife have not missed a notification on her phone. The doorbell notification works every time no matter if the app is in the foreground or or in the background but pir notification seem to be muted when app is in the foreground.

Before using share feature the on Ezviz, my wife app keep getting kicked off and requesting her for the password almost each time she go back and also using share feature prevent anyone with shared app to change the camera settings (only master app can change the settings) which is a good thing since your kids wouldn't be able to disable it to sneak some friends over for a party.

Now the con
The portrait mode view and portrait playback are terrible, Ezviz app does portrait mode so much better than Guarding Vision.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This seems to work the best for us. Every person coming to the door now can spot the bell button instantly and press it. Before I painted it, they would be taking several seconds to see which is the actual button to press it when we watch them in the playback.

I agree...As much as I brag about this Doorbell, I think they messed up on the design, or at least the face plate. Not sure why the PIR lens needed to be that big. Maybe Gen 3 will fix these issues.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree...As much as I brag about this Doorbell, I think they messed up on the design, or at least the face plate. Not sure why the PIR lens needed to be that big. Maybe Gen 3 will fix these issues.
Most PIR sensors are 360 degree view so make sense to have a wide view like that. Noticed how at home alarm motion sensor or outdoor light sensors also have a 360 degree white faceplates?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
So far........
Guarding Vision does not miss a pir notification when it's on the main menu screen (Guarding Vision icon highlighted at bottom) The vibration pulse on Guarding Vision is longer than on the Ezviz app so it makes it more easier for me to notice it when it's in my pocket (I am Deaf). The share feature seem to work good because my wife have not missed a notification on her phone. The doorbell notification works every time no matter if the app is in the foreground or or in the background but pir notification seem to be muted when app is in the foreground.

Before using share feature the on Ezviz, my wife app keep getting kicked off and requesting her for the password almost each time she go back and also using share feature prevent anyone with shared app to change the camera settings (only master app can change the settings) which is a good thing since your kids wouldn't be able to disable it to sneak some friends over for a party.

Now the con
The portrait mode view and portrait playback are terrible, Ezviz app does portrait mode so much better than Guarding Vision.

I would like to add it the Doorbell notification that have long vibration pulses not the PIR alert. The PIR alert have one short quick vibration pulse. I should have mentioned that in previous post. Guarding Vision have about 12 vibration pulses on Doorbell alert before it stops and EzViz is about 3 to 5 pulses before it stops or if you answer it then it will stop.

Jack007

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

... or make the face plates and push buttons interchangeable (like a white push button on a black face plate )

I'm not brave enough to try this (yet) but it seems that the push button is only lightly attached to the face plate. Removing without to much damage should be easy/possible,
Attaching an other color push button could work with some strong glue.

20200207_100131.jpg

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
... or make the face plates and push buttons interchangeable (like a white push button on a black face plate )

I'm not brave enough to try this (yet) but it seems that the push button is only lightly attached to the face plate. Removing without to much damage should be easy/possible,

View attachment 55469
I did thought about doing this but I wanted the whole bottom plate to be white as well too so I painted it instead of swapping button around.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@TechBill

Because of the poor playback on the Guarding Vision I went back to the Ezviz app. After 3 days of erratic notifications the last 2 days were spot on, did not miss a one. Go Figure!!

I'm wondering if the fix for the casting would work on the Guarding Vision playback?? Can you try this Bill?

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

View attachment 55469
I am playing around with the brown plate that came with the Ezviz and removed the button now I need to get a good outdoor epoxy and test it before doing the white one.