New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

BobDoh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was sent a refurb instead of new, so I got a refund and they didn't ask for it back. Thought I had struck gold...spent last 2 weeks fiddling with it, only to find out that it doesn't behave like what other members here described it. Had troubles with powerkit, now doorbell itself kaput. I suppose there was a reason for it being refurb.

BobDoh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No warranty because I essentially didn't pay for it. I got a full refund but didn't have to send the unit back. So no sale equals no warranty.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No warranty because I essentially didn't pay for it. I got a full refund but didn't have to send the unit back. So no sale equals no warranty.
Interesting. So this was with Amazon or EZVIZ direct? If with Amazon, you may want to contact EZVIZ, they don't need to know of the refund by Amazon, but I understand, since it did not cost you anything you are not out anything.
As for your question of which is the better rebrand, I think many start with the face plates in choosing, then price. Warning on the latest RCA's not being able to upgrade to ONVIF firmwares. You may want to see who here from Australia own. I think one thing to think about is cloud service, not the paying service. I know there were a few here from the Netherlands that had problems with the cloud they connected to, I think they end up connected to a US cloud, can't remember. Is Google/Alexa on your list?

FIRMWARES:
DOORBELL MODELPREVIOUS FIRMWARELATEST FIRMWAREONVIFALEXAGOOGLEOUTDOOR BELL SOUND (ON/OFF)
HIKVISION (DS-HD1)191017YESNONO???
RCA (HSDB2A)180809 (????-??-??)190124 (2019-01-30)NONONONO
EZVIZ (DB1)190708 (2019-07-21)191211 (2020-01-06)NOYESYESYES
LAVIEW (LV-PDB1630-U)190103 (????-??-??)190716 (2019-07-29)YESYESNONO
NELLY'S (NSC-DB2)190122 (2019-03-04), 190412 (2019-??-??)190625 (2019-11-22)YESNONONO
LTS (LTH-7132-WIFI)??????????????????

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. So this was with Amazon or EZVIZ direct? If with Amazon, you may want to contact EZVIZ, they don't need to know of the refund by Amazon, but I understand, since it did not cost you anything you are not out anything.
As for your question of which is the better rebrand, I think many start with the face plates in choosing, then price. Warning on the latest RCA's not being able to upgrade to ONVIF firmwares. You may want to see who here from Australia own. I think one thing to think about is cloud service, not the paying service. I know there were a few here from the Netherlands that had problems with the cloud they connected to, I think they end up connected to a US cloud, can't remember. Is Google/Alexa on your list?

FIRMWARES:
DOORBELL MODELPREVIOUS FIRMWARELATEST FIRMWAREONVIFALEXAGOOGLEOUTDOOR BELL SOUND (ON/OFF)
HIKVISION (DS-HD1)191017YESNONO???
RCA (HSDB2A)180809 (????-??-??)190124 (2019-01-30)NONONONO
EZVIZ (DB1)190708 (2019-07-21)191211 (2020-01-06)NOYESYESYES
LAVIEW (LV-PDB1630-U)190103 (????-??-??)190716 (2019-07-29)YESYESNONO
NELLY'S (NSC-DB2)190122 (2019-03-04), 190412 (2019-??-??)190625 (2019-11-22)YESNONONO
LTS (LTH-7132-WIFI)??????????????????

I totaly agree about the warrany, that is between him and EZVIZ.
Where as the refund, is none of their business.
However,
I though Nelly's had one of either Alexa or Google just not both

BobDoh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Google/Alexa is not on my list of requirements.
That Hikvision pricing is just crazy. Australians have to add tax + shipping + conversion rate. Ends up being twice the cost.
Nelly's at $140++ is also not great.
Might just have to wait for another sale.

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Google/Alexa is not on my list of requirements.
That Hikvision pricing is just crazy. Australians have to add tax + shipping + conversion rate. Ends up being twice the cost.
Nelly's at $140++ is also not great.
Might just have to wait for another sale.
Check out Adorama.com or Their Ebay page That's where I bought my EZVIZ from at a bargain brand new with a 2yr Square Trade warranyt for $97.00 us Total.

And,
like David L said,
just because Amazon decided to give you a refund as long as you have your original purchase reciept that is all EZVIZ would require for RMA/Warranty it's definately worth a try.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I totaly agree about the warrany, that is between him and EZVIZ.
Where as the refund, is none of their business.
However,
I though Nelly's had one of either Alexa or Google just not both
Well, unless something changed recently then no to both. Nelly's does not have a Skill that we are aware of.

AMAZON ALEXA, GOOGLE HOME/ASSISTANT, & APPLE HOMEKIT:
EZVIZ DB1 (Alexa & Google works)
LaView ONE Halo (Alexa works)

ALEXA SKILLS/TIPS:
⦁ To Display on Alexa; RTSP feed from Doorbell to Amazon Echo Show via/thru Monocle - Threads to Follow; Old Monocle Thread or New Monocle Thread - pete_c
Turn Off Doorbell's Image/Video Encryption
(LINK LaView to Alexa) - It Works!
(LINK EZVIZ to Alexa) - It Works! (Note: IFTTT works for Motion Detection Alerting via Email/SMS or to turn On/Off camera for the HSDB2A) - Pilot04
(LINK RCA to Alexa) - Does Not Work unless you use secondary software like Monocle or MotionEye
(LINK Monocle to Alexa)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
The Ezviz app on my phone doesn't record my voice when speaking to someone at the door, why not ?

When I playback the recording I can hear on the recording the person outside speaking, but what I said hasn't been recorded and you cannot hear my voice on the recording.

The Ezviz app has Microphone permissions. I am using an Android phone.

I have shared the DB1 Doorbell device with my daughter. So I tried to use her Android phone and its the same thing, it records the voice of the person outside but not the voice of the person speaking in to the mobile phone. Again her Ezviz app has permissions for the Microphone.

Anyone else had this problem ?

Thanks

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Ezviz app on my phone doesn't record my voice when speaking to someone at the door, why not ?

When I playback the recording I can hear on the recording the person outside speaking, but what I said hasn't been recorded and you cannot hear my voice on the recording.

I have shared the DB1 Doorbell device with my daughter. So I tried to use her Android phone and its the same thing, it records the voice of the person outside but not the voice of the person speaking in to the mobile phone. Again her Ezviz app has permissions for the Microphone.

Thanks
Can't help with a direct answer,
but,
I do know,
that,
a non rooted android is only capable of recording one side of a call,
via any of the available Call recording apps,
So,
this may be an android limitation,
but,
on the other hand,
One would hope,
that,
both sides might be recorded by the DB-camera itself.

Last edited:

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, unless something changed recently then no to both. Nelly's does not have a Skill that we are aware of.

AMAZON ALEXA, GOOGLE HOME/ASSISTANT, & APPLE HOMEKIT:
EZVIZ DB1 (Alexa & Google works)
LaView ONE Halo (Alexa works)

ALEXA SKILLS/TIPS:
⦁ To Display on Alexa; RTSP feed from Doorbell to Amazon Echo Show via/thru Monocle - Threads to Follow; Old Monocle Thread or New Monocle Thread - pete_c
Turn Off Doorbell's Image/Video Encryption
(LINK LaView to Alexa) - It Works!
(LINK EZVIZ to Alexa) - It Works! (Note: IFTTT works for Motion Detection Alerting via Email/SMS or to turn On/Off camera for the HSDB2A) - Pilot04
(LINK RCA to Alexa) - Does Not Work unless you use secondary software like Monocle or MotionEye
(LINK Monocle to Alexa)
Thanks for clarifying,
I could have swore that they had claimed support for one or the other on their product site,
and,
because,
of that misconception,
I've always ranked them as second best option behind EZVIZ.
Boy, I've been wrong for some time on that train of thought, huh

Thanks again pal

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thanks
IOS is the same. Just one side of conversation on the recorded clip.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can't help with a direct answer,
but,
I do know,
that,
a non rooted android is only capable of recording one side of a call,
via any of the available Call recording apps,
So,
this may be an android limitation,
but,
on the other hand,
One would hope,
that,
both sides might be recorded by the DB-camera itself.
I ran across this App awhile back that does record both ends. May be more out there, don't know, but this one works good for me. Very clear recordings.

Jack007

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometime ago i informed if anybody knew of some sort of backplate for the db1 to hide the imprint of the old doorbell.
20200131_141726.jpg

Apparently this is not a thing. So, i took some measurements and found myself a machine shop over the internet which made this for me:

20200221_141007.jpg
Today i got around to mount it to the doorbell. Imprint gone, job done.

20200221_142926.jpg

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometime ago i informed if anybody knew of some sort of backplate for the db1 to hide the imprint of the old doorbell.
View attachment 55885

Apparently this is not a thing. So, i took some measurements and found myself a machine shop over the internet which made this for me:

View attachment 55886
Today i got around to mount it to the doorbell. Imprint gone, job done.

View attachment 55887
Thanks for the share. Is that stainless steal? Looks great...

Jack007

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the share. Is that stainless steal? Looks great...
It's 1 mm 316 stainless steel cold-rolled (is that translated correctly?) with a 2B finish.
The metal is hard (which should prevent scratches) and is corrosion resistant (no rust).

BTW: At first i was afraid that the metal would influence wifi to much. As it turned out the signal strength only declined a few dB which is no a big deal.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I like that. Mine is on vinyl siding so I bought a vinyl mounting block with a siding profile on the back. But this is a good option for those without that.