New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

NeilMick

n3wb
Reaction score
This doorbells image quality compared to the Yoosee SD-MD5 is pretty poor, especially at night time.

Kind of disappointed, seems there is no doorbell on the market that hits all the sweet spots.

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This doorbells image quality compared to the Yoosee SD-MD5 is pretty poor, especially at night time.

Kind of disappointed, seems there is no doorbell on the market that hits all the sweet spots.
Sorry, what aspect of the image quality you think is disappointing apart from the nightvision. Did you try to improve by using the hikvision batch configuration software? What resolution do you use? What exactly don’t you like in the nightvision? What do you use to watch the picture/video? What brand do you refer to? Latest firmware? ( EZViz did some finetuning in the app lately?
So in short could you eloborate? Thanks

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NeilMick

Sorry, what aspect of the image quality you think is disappointing apart from the nightvision. Did you try to improve by using the hikvision batch configuration software? What resolution do you use? What exactly don’t you like in the nightvision? What do you use to watch the picture/video? What brand do you refer to? Latest firmware? ( EZViz did some finetuning in the app lately?
So in short could you eloborate? Thanks
I usually ignore blank statements like these. Not having any experience with the Yoosee, being a 1080p camera, it was not even on my search list when I purchased our 3MP 1536 Res. Doorbell. Only one closest to our our res., at the time I purchased mine in July, 2019, was the Nest Hello at 1200. The Rings are 1080p, with their first Ring 720p. The eufy sports 1920 res., which is nice, but lacks all our flexibility. Not putting down the Yoosee, it seems to have a lot of our flexibility, but definitely not the video quality we have.

Last edited:

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Something weird happened this weekend on the backend cloud service. My RCA HSDB2 doorbell had been running fine since January 2019 but suddenly went into "offline" state in the various mobile apps and on hikcloud website. However, it was still recording to my NVR and I can still view live feed via tinycam/motioneye/gdmss like normal. In the past few times where it went "offline" due to power outage, I would quickly remote into it via iVMS4200 and force reboot the doorbell to not have to go through reset procedure. This time, it didn't come back online status even after half dozen reboots. Everything still worked fine except no PIR push notifications nor video doorbell call due to offline status in the cloud server.

After 30min of troubleshooting to rule out network and manually adding back doorbell in all the branded apps(it allows you to add doorbell fine but more like shared views without alerts), I gave up and performed multiple hard resets of doorbell trying various combinations. That didn't resolve it and caused more issues with password and WiFi SSID name mismatch because I had Laview 190716 FW installed on my RCA unit as I wanted ONVIF when it released. Again, manually assigning WiFi via iVMS tool still only gets it on the network but wouldn't let me register it successfully via any of the mobile apps. So now it's still offline status but also deleted from cloud in both app and website.

Left with no choice, I upgraded to latest Ezviz DB1 191211 FW yesterday morning to get past the mismatched SSID/password issue. After another reboot just to be sure, it allowed me to successfully register my RCA HSDB2 doorbell to Ezviz/Hikvision cloud service in the app. It's been stable since then BUT I knew that 191211 FW didn't have ONVIF so kind of bummed that I was forced to upgrade and lose my ONVIF feature from 190716. Since it's operating fine via RTSP, I didn't want to push my luck and downgrade to 190716 to get ONVIF back. Also still no access to Alexa nor Google in 191211...

Reaction score

Got any images from that Yoosee SD-MD5 you're willing to post here?
If so, please do share them, and let us decide for ourselves.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

I found your post in this thread amusing after reading all of your other posts on this forum which is a total of 18 posts and most of your posts are in the Yoosee thread where you are expressing your disappointment on the Yoosee camera quality and its poor framerate.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something weird happened this weekend on the backend cloud service. My RCA HSDB2 doorbell had been running fine since January 2019 but suddenly went into "offline" state in the various mobile apps and on hikcloud website. However, it was still recording to my NVR and I can still view live feed via tinycam/motioneye/gdmss like normal. In the past few times where it went "offline" due to power outage, I would quickly remote into it via iVMS4200 and force reboot the doorbell to not have to go through reset procedure. This time, it didn't come back online status even after half dozen reboots. Everything still worked fine except no PIR push notifications nor video doorbell call due to offline status in the cloud server.

After 30min of troubleshooting to rule out network and manually adding back doorbell in all the branded apps(it allows you to add doorbell fine but more like shared views without alerts), I gave up and performed multiple hard resets of doorbell trying various combinations. That didn't resolve it and caused more issues with password and WiFi SSID name mismatch because I had Laview 190716 FW installed on my RCA unit as I wanted ONVIF when it released. Again, manually assigning WiFi via iVMS tool still only gets it on the network but wouldn't let me register it successfully via any of the mobile apps. So now it's still offline status but also deleted from cloud in both app and website.

Left with no choice, I upgraded to latest Ezviz DB1 191211 FW yesterday morning to get past the mismatched SSID/password issue. After another reboot just to be sure, it allowed me to successfully register my RCA HSDB2 doorbell to Ezviz/Hikvision cloud service in the app. It's been stable since then BUT I knew that 191211 FW didn't have ONVIF so kind of bummed that I was forced to upgrade and lose my ONVIF feature from 190716. Since it's operating fine via RTSP, I didn't want to push my luck and downgrade to 190716 to get ONVIF back. Also still no access to Alexa nor Google in 191211...
Wow, what a ride. The cloud confuses me. Am I on Cloud 9 :), Cloud 10, etc.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I noticed and learned something today.

I was working on my network. I took my wifi offline for a bit while I worked on it. The Ezviz doorbell was flashing red when it couldn't find the wifi and as soon I put the wifi back in service, it changed back to solid blue.

Jack007

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed and learned something today.

I was working on my network. I took my wifi offline for a bit while I worked on it. The Ezviz doorbell was flashing red when it couldn't find the wifi and as soon I put the wifi back in service, it changed back to solid blue.
Did you expect a different behaviour?
This sounds like standard behaviour for a wifi client.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you expect a different behaviour?
This sounds like standard behaviour for a wifi client.
Yes, I don't expect it to be blinking red telling the world "Hey! It's okay come steal the package, I won't tell the owner that you stopped by".

They could always use the heartbeat method.

Have the doorbell send a heartbeat to the cloud every 10 minutes and if the cloud doesn't get a heartbeat in 10 minutes time span then send an alert to the owner's app. I am a field technician for a very large communication company and we use heartbeat to check if the connection is still alive.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I don't expect it to be blinking red telling the world "Hey! It's okay come steal the package, I won't tell the owner that you stopped by".

Have the doorbell send a heartbeat to the cloud every 10 minutes and if the cloud doesn't get a heartbeat in 10 minutes time span then send an alert to the owner's app. I am a field technician for a very large communication company and we use heartbeat to check if the connection is still alive.
Agreed, so wonder if there is a way to do that in home assistant or Blue Iris? I know we get push notifications when our SmartThings hub goes down or when our Google Voice (ObiTalk) goes offline.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sometime ago i informed if anybody knew of some sort of backplate for the db1 to hide the imprint of the old doorbell.
View attachment 55885

Apparently this is not a thing. So, i took some measurements and found myself a machine shop over the internet which made this for me:

View attachment 55886
Today i got around to mount it to the doorbell. Imprint gone, job done.

View attachment 55887
Looks nice. Do you have the specs/measurements of the finished backplate so I can try to have one made for me from the local shop? Thanks.

It would be great to also have the face-plate like that. :D

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agreed, so wonder if there is a way to do that in home assistant or Blue Iris? I know we get push notifications when our SmartThings hub goes down or when our Google Voice (ObiTalk) goes offline.
in Home assistant you can add the doorbell as a Device Tracker. There are several intergrations for tracking a device based on IP. I have an asus router, so I use that integration, but there are many other options. You can then set an automation to notify you if the device goes to not_home

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Curious to see what the various re-branded doorbells display for your "Panel Version" and "Hardware Version" under device information. My RCA HSDB2 is at "V0" for panel and "0x0" for hardware versions. Even though I've upgraded it to 191211 firmware, I notice the disable outdoor bell sound isn't available in my mobile app.

1582557921404.png

Jack007

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks nice. Do you have the specs/measurements of the finished backplate so I can try to have one made for me from the local shop? Thanks.

It would be great to also have the face-plate like that. :D
The outer dimensions were dictated by the imprint of my old doorbell (diameter=60 mm). As i wanted a more or less uniform edge around the db1 i choose 145 mmx60 mm as outer dimensions. But you can go really nuts and choose every shape you like.
The 2 mounting holes are 89 mm apart (think this is 3.5 inch). The diameter of these i choose 8 mm so there is some wiggle room during mounting.
And in the center there is a 30 mm hole for the connection cable. This could be a bit bigger as the db1 is around 45 mm wide.

Hope this is clear enough; also see the ordering page.

Capture.PNG

Jack007

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

OK, this is what you mean.

The db1, as a stand alone device, can only communicate to the outside world through wifi and the red/blue ring (also potentially through a connected doorbell but this outside the control of the db1).
When wifi is down/not connected/not available it can only signal this through the ring.
I agree it could send the "wrong message" as this behavior is not configurable at the moment.

I didn't check this but maybe RGB leds are used and after a firmware upgrade different colors and patterns for the ring can be chosen. The non availability of wifi wouldn't be that obvious and more important user specific.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Curious to see what the various re-branded doorbells display for your "Panel Version" and "Hardware Version" under device information. My RCA HSDB2 is at "V0" for panel and "0x0" for hardware versions. Even though I've upgraded it to 191211 firmware, I notice the disable outdoor bell sound isn't available in my mobile app.

View attachment 56045
Same on my LaView
1582564835670.png

Jack007

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is what my Ezviz db-1 on the latest Ezviz firmware shows:
Capture.PNG

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is what my Ezviz db-1 on the latest Ezviz firmware shows:
View attachment 56049
Thanks for the confirmation that we are still the same hardware between RCA and Ezviz. Must be Ezviz locking out the disable outdoor bell sound feature on my RCA via firmware like they are doing with preventing Alexa/Google.