New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Or get a Sage Doorbell Sensor connected to the chime and pair it to Hubitat. Then you can use Push Notification or announce it through Alexa.
Thanks for the Sage sensor information. I received my Sage doorbell sensor from ebay last night for $5 and have just installed it and paired to SmartThings for push notification. Much cheaper than the other relay/dry contact solutions I was contemplating on later this year.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I upgraded Ezviz app to 4.1.2 this morning just to play with since I'm on already on 191211 firmware for my RCA HSDB2. A weird behavior happened after I did a test hard reset of doorbell to see if that would enable the disable outdoor doorbell sound feature. During setup, doorbell would speak wifi connected and register successfully to server BUT doorbell didn't show up in list of devices in my Ezviz app. I had to switch over to Hik-connect app to register again in order to see doorbell in both apps.

Also, decided to try my new 256GB Samsug U3 microSDXC EVO Select memory card I received from Amazon that I ordered for my Galaxy phone. Doorbell initialized card but failed and it partitioned into two 128GB volumes. I know the 256GB card works fine in other devices.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting as I've always had ICMP blocked on my numerous routers (previously Netgear R7000, AC68U and currently on my AX88U) without any issues. That includes the past 3 years with RCA wifi doorbells like HSDB1(1.5yrs) and HSDB2(1yr+). I know it uses the standard ports 80, 554, and 8000 and I have upnp disabled.
I wouldn't recommend it. Usually you'd want to disable ICMP on the router only on the WAN interface, not on LAN. When some LAN device doesn't connect to the internet, the first thing you do is ping your default gateway.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Added this to DOORBELL 101:

NETWORKING TIPS:
⦁ Be Sure and Disable UPnP Universal Plug and Play in your router/firewall
⦁ Port(s) Used List from - cool77
In order to view the video from Ezviz app allow traffic from your local_devices_ip TO any external IP at port : 6500, 7100 and 10554
In order to answer a ring call from Ezviz app allow traffic from your local_devices_ip TO any external IP at port : 9664
For Streaming add a rule that allows traffic from your local_devices_ip TO all_internal_IP at port : 554
For Remote Access using (iVMS-4200 or Batch Configuration Tool) allow traffic from your local_devices_ip TO any external IP at port : 8000

Let me know if I need to Add or Change anything. I know port 80 is HTTP (WWW), but it used for Discovery/ONVIF, correct?

From Blue IrisL
View attachment 56089
good job. I would remove the UPnP recommendation, it could be needed by some other device on the user's LAN, and I don't see why it should influence the communication with the doorbell.

You forgot the ICMP recommendation, I'd write something like this: "if you use a firewall, allow ICMP from the doorbell to the router, otherwise the doorbell would disconnect/reconnect the wifi (check post by @Ronin1)"

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I upgraded Ezviz app to 4.1.2 this morning just to play with since I'm on already on 191211 firmware for my RCA HSDB2. A weird behavior happened after I did a test hard reset of doorbell to see if that would enable the disable outdoor doorbell sound feature. During setup, doorbell would speak wifi connected and register successfully to server BUT doorbell didn't show up in list of devices in my Ezviz app. I had to switch over to Hik-connect app to register again in order to see doorbell in both apps.

Also, decided to try my new 256GB Samsug U3 microSDXC EVO Select memory card I received from Amazon that I ordered for my Galaxy phone. Doorbell initialized card but failed and it partitioned into two 128GB volumes. I know the 256GB card works fine in other devices.
Curious, when you first register the doorbell. Did you register it with email or phone number?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the Sage sensor information. I received my Sage doorbell sensor from ebay last night for $5 and have just installed it and paired to SmartThings for push notification. Much cheaper than the other relay/dry contact solutions I was contemplating on later this year.
I'm using the SAGE too, it's working great also without a chime installed. NowI'm waiting for the Doorbell Modernizr to be delivered, it works on wifi (via MQTT) and it doesn't rely on the battery, if it works like I expect it to, I will use that one.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using the SAGE too, it's working great also without a chime installed. NowI'm waiting for the Doorbell Modernizr to be delivered, it works on wifi (via MQTT) and it doesn't rely on the battery, if it works like I expect it to, I will use that one.
Without the chime? I have Sage but I haven't install it yet because I thought I needed to add the chime in first.

Are you using it with or without the fuse that came with the doorbell?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Without the chime? I have Sage but I haven't install it yet because I thought I needed to add the chime in first.

Are you using it with or without the fuse that came with the doorbell?
Don't use the fuse, that is to be used only if you have nothing. But you need to use the power kit. I followed the schema of the 101, instead of the chime you use the SAGE, connections are the same. In the app I configured an electronic chime. It works perfectly,

1582671601312.png

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Curious, when you first register the doorbell. Did you register it with email or phone number?
I started out 3 yrs ago with a username(RCA and Hik). Then when username broke a few years ago between RCA/Hik/Ezviz, I switched to email address that was already registered with my username so that it continues to work across the various apps. Never added phone number to my profile.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
My pleasure. :)

Instead of the chime, I bought an Aeotec Siren 6. Much more flexible. And I also have the Echo devices in every room announcing that "Someone rang the bell...". That was my final goal. I use Hubitat as automation hub.

Actually, I did buy a mechanical chime. I haven't install it yet because I don't have time to locate a placement on the wall in the hallway and drill holes to run wires etc.

But as I am thinking about it right now installing the Sage sensor when I get home from work, I might as well go ahead install the chime.

I installed the transformer in the attic so I would have to go up there tonight to hook up the Sage sensor anyway. I just told myself why not just hook up the chime next to the transformer in the attic while I am up there. I might just do that and lay the chime on the attic floor until spring time to run wires to the hallway and move it there.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually, I did buy a mechanical chime. I haven't install it yet because I don't have time to locate a placement on the wall in the hallway and drill holes to run wires etc.

But as I am thinking about it right now installing the Sage sensor when I get home from work, I might as well go ahead install the chime.

I installed the transformer in the attic so I would have to go up there tonight to hook up the Sage sensor anyway. I just told myself why not just hook up the chime next to the transformer in the attic while I am up there. I might just do that and lay the chime on the attic floor until spring time to run wires to the hallway and move it there.
If you use the SAGE sensor and a chime/siren like the Aeotec, you don't need any wire. Everything works wirelessly: SAGE intercepts the button, and Hubitat instructs the Aeotec siren/chime to play a tune and also announce that someone rang the doorbell through all echo devices in the house. The Aeotec can be used both as a chime for the doorbell and as an alarm for security sensors (smoke, temperature, gas, etc.). So you have one small wireless device that acts as a central alarm for various needs. I hate those old chime boxes, never installed one. :)

I forgot to add that the Aeotec siren also has a strobe light, as a visual alarm. You can configure it to flash when needed.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If you use the SAGE sensor and a chime/siren like the Aeotec, you don't need any wire. Everything works wirelessly: SAGE intercepts the button, and Hubitat instructs the Aeotec siren/chime to play a tune and also announce that someone rang the doorbell through all echo devices in the house. The Aeotec can be used both as a chime for the doorbell and as an alarm for security sensors (smoke, temperature, gas, etc.). So you have one small wireless device that acts as a central alarm for various needs. I hate those old chime boxes, never installed one. :)
That good point but my wife and I both are Deaf parents with hearing children living in the house so chime is for them not us :) The Sage sensor is for us to blink the lights to alert us that someone's at the door.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That good point but my wife and I both are Deaf parents with hearing children living in the house so chime is for them not us :) The Sage sensor is for us to blink the lights to alert us that someone's at the door.
That's a good solution. Aeotec has a strobe light, but it has to be in sight in order to be seen obviously. Letting all the rooms' lights flash is better in your case. :)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a good solution. Aeotec has a strobe light, but it has to be in sight in order to be seen obviously. Letting all the rooms' lights flash is better in your case. :)
My goal is to set up that all room blink only once or twice for any events triggered on the Habitat like doorbell, fire, co2 sensor etc. But there will be several color led bulb placement in the house like one near living room and kitchen, one in our master bedroom, and one in the basement so when a room light blinks then we would look at the color led bulb to see what event trigger it like doorbell will be blue, alarm will be red, co2 purple etc.

That our goal so far.

Also instead of using the color led bulb, we been looking at this zwave switches that actually have color leds notifications that can be triggered by different events so if room light blinks then we can look at the wall switch to see which event triggered it.

Here is one switch with this color led feature DIY Z-Wave Home Automation Technology For Your Smart Home but it a zwave plus and I wanted a Zigbee. The company announced the possibility of releasing a zigbee version soon. They said the noticed that many home automation like Alexa or Google are focusing more on Zigbee protocol now. Check the video on it.

ronin1

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem @ronin1 found is that if the doorbell can't ping the router on the LAN interface, it will disconnect/reconnect wifi, probably because it thinks it is isolated.
That's correct, it's was on the lan interface.

My wireless cameras are one vlan and have no access to any other vlans on my network or the internet. Typically I only allow them access to my ntp server. This is the first device I've had the disconnect issue and all it needed was icmp echo (ping) to it's default route.