New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, I just logged into my hub and click the Zigbee then bam it found my doorbell sensor and saved it.
The embedded driver of HE didn't work reliably for me, I had to revert to a user provided driver found here: trunzoc/Hubitat

If you have issues, you can try it. Now you can use the SAGE by configuring a rule with Rule Machine app in HE.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity: What value did you choose for the I frame interval and why?
Mine is currently at 60 which i guess was the default.
View attachment 56929
I did not mess with those settings, only thing I changed was Frame Rate. I did change Video Quality from Medium (Default) to Highest, can't remember why I changed it back so I am going to try it a day or two at the Highest setting again. Just be careful what all you change. There have been some here get themselves in trouble.

1583670863415.png

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
The embedded driver of HE didn't work reliably for me, I had to revert to a user provided driver found here: trunzoc/Hubitat

If you have issues, you can try it. Now you can use the SAGE by configuring a rule with Rule Machine app in HE.
Thanks. I will read up in how to install custom drivers. I am still new to hub and learning as I go

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Here what my chime look like with power kit and sage sensor connected.

I clip off the Y on power kit wire then terminal it with the sage sensor for a easy clean installation.

IMG_7935.jpeg

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

The embedded driver seem to work since I am seeing in the event log that button are pushed however there is no battery meter so I installed the custom driver from the git that you pasted. '

I wanted to make sure I did this right, I added a new driver and import it from raw git then save it. Selected the FrontDoor alert device and just change the device type to User -> Sage Doorbell sensor the saved it. It worked too and showing up in the event but the battery is showing --

Does your show battery percentage from sensor?

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did not mess with those settings, only thing I changed was Frame Rate. I did change Video Quality from Medium (Default) to Highest, can't remember why I changed it back so I am going to try it a day or two at the Highest setting again. Just be careful what all you change. There have been some here get themselves in trouble.

View attachment 56966
Chromecast Live Stream Capability,

I think,
the reason you probably changed it originally,
was due to a discussion earlier in the thread,
pertaining,
to the ability,
to live stream,
with,
chromecast,
a user found that chromecast,
would not,
stream on the highest setting.

If,
I remember correctly,
it would connect,
but,
not stream,
only a black screen was displayed,
while,
on the highest setting.

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The embedded driver seem to work since I am seeing in the event log that button are pushed however there is no battery meter so I installed the custom driver from the git that you pasted. '

I wanted to make sure I did this right, I added a new driver and import it from raw git then save it. Selected the FrontDoor alert device and just change the device type to User -> Sage Doorbell sensor the saved it. It worked too and showing up in the event but the battery is showing --

Does your show battery percentage from sensor?
From what I read in the forums, battery % is not reliable, always 100%. Anyway, if the embedded driver works fine for you I'd recommend you stick with that one. I reported to the devs the problems I and other users had, and they promised to take another look at it. Meanwhile I'm using the user driver.

You've done a clean job on the installation, I will clip the Y wires from the power kit too and add a connector. Thanks.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Chromecast Live Stream Capability,

I think,
the reason you probably changed it originally,
was due to a discussion earlier in the thread,
pertaining,
to the ability,
to live stream,
with,
chromecast,
a user found that chromecast,
would not,
stream on the highest setting.

If,
I remember correctly,
it would connect,
but,
not stream,
only a black screen was displayed,
while,
on the highest setting.
Thank you, thank you. My memory, wow, is getting overwhelmed with this large Thread :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here what my chime look like with power kit and sage sensor connected.

I clip off the Y on power kit wire then terminal it with the sage sensor for a easy clean installation.

View attachment 57046
Are you planning on updating your Thread:

With this picture and GitHub driver Info? Maybe a good idea, I will include this in the 101.

Buy a lot of 24 and get them for $3 each :)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I am a little concerned with the quality of video my camera is outputting....

DB1 running 5.2.4 191211 if that helps?
The video starts out fuzzy for me, but snaps into focus at the 17 second mark. This is true even when I rewind and watch it again. This points to an encoding/uploading issue with Youtube and not a malfunction of the camera/stream.

I agree that you might want to turn on WDR to see if you can lighten up the face as the person gets really close to the camera.

Other than that I think the image looks fine.

jrinco11

n3wb
Reaction score
replying to myself here as I have a few updates on issues I've had:

has anyone else ever run into an issue where suddenly their video has a pink hue? woke up one morning to check a motion alert and since then, everything has a pink hue, weird huh?
FYI, I powered it down this morning (flipped the breaker for an hour) and upon reboot, it's no longer pink! No idea what caused it....

ahh I'm bricked! I recently bought a RCA DB2, was on RCA firmware (Jan 30, 2019) Build 190124 and it worked great. Then, using batch config, tried upgrading to Nelly's (Nov. 22, 2019) Build 190625 (ONVIF Support). Batch config showed it 100% completed, only to find that the bell is now at the red ring of death. Tried powering off the circuit for 2+ hours, held reset for over 60s, still solid red ring. I also tried putting the original RCA firmware in the root of the SD card and reboot (breaker off and on), still straight to solid red ring. Unfortunately, I tried the firmware upgrade before the new message of "don't upgrade RCA" was put up, haha. If there is any other info I can provide to help anyone come up with any ideas for me to try to fix it, please let me know!

edit: just realized when I turn off the breaker, the bell is still powered (should have known, seeing as how folks said to power it down for ~1hr due to internal battery), so putting the firmware on the SD card attempt wasn't a real attempt. Currently waiting for it to power off and will try the SD method again (not getting my hopes up though :-\ )

edit 2: sd method didn't work (made sure to rename to digicap.dav). Does the SD card need to be empty other than the firmware file? (I kept all the .bin and recordings on it)

edit 3: tried with a freshly reformatted (fat32) card with only the digicap.dav, still no luck
I ended up putting in a warranty repair request with RCA (VOXX) and after sending it in (just the doorbell itself, no other accessories, and the Amazon receipt showing it was an open box buy from a 3rd party seller), they sent me back a brand new one, still sealed in the box - great service from RCA!

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone having issues with the app constantly requiring you to login again? It seems every few days it logs me out