New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

KlaverBoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I flashed back to hikvision firmware like before and onvif is working but still synology will not allow me to set the motion detection area. It will say activating or just be a black screen.

I was able to edit the motion detection area in batch config tool. Do you know if it actually uses that motion area? Synology has an option to set use camera for motion detection.
In the past i was able to set the motion detection area in Surveillance station. So this morning i tried it again and i had no live view in the motion detection area. It was just a black screen, like you said. I've tested it on my Ubuntu laptop with Firefox. After that i have tried it in Firefox running in Windows 10 and then i had a live view in the motion detection area. So Surveillance station opened in Firefox gives a different behaviour between the 2 operating systems. You can give that a try if you haven't already tried that. In the past i used the Chrome browser to set the motion detection area in Surveillane station.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ARGH, after a while it stopped working fine lol. and the chime started to have a low buzzing noise when you listened closely and stopped working and doorbell started malfunctioning.

so it looks like i do need the powerkit. It worked for a few minutes after i removed the powerkit like i said, but maybe it was just "ramping down"

the transformer is C905 Transformer 16v 10VA

i guess its off to home depot tomorrow
Your 16v 10va is what is known as a builder grade transformer. It is actually an upgrade from older houses but not for Video Doorbells.

This is what you need:

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had announced that I wanted to design a 3D printed housing for my doorbell, because my door reveal is very narrow and the angle of view of the camera in that mounting position is more than unfortunate.

Here is the final result of my 90° adapter. Printed in PETG, smoothed, sanded and varnished. In the lower part I have constructed our name in raised letters.

I think I can live with it very well - even if my wife finds the case too bulky.

View attachment 60832 View attachment 60831
Wow, very, very impressed. Looks like you left room for it to breathe too, since these DBs can get hot...Are those security torx star screws? Also, The Name addition was a Great idea...good job...

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I flashed back to hikvision firmware like before and onvif is working but still synology will not allow me to set the motion detection area. It will say activating or just be a black screen.

I was able to edit the motion detection area in batch config tool. Do you know if it actually uses that motion area? Synology has an option to set use camera for motion detection.
With ezviz fw, I used synology's motion detection algorithm. Now, with Hikvision fw, I configured it using camera's algorithm.

You can see here the batch config config of the area and the configuration of surveillance station.

I don't know why it's not working for you, for me it has worked both with and without ONVIF.

1588425269326.png1588425277148.png1588425286837.png

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Went ahead and did an update on synology to DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 6 the latest available. I figured that might help with the live view/motion detection area for the Ezviz DB1 and its the same. Very odd. I know this has to do with resolution somehow.
What do you mean by resolution? With ONVIF the resolution capabilities of the camera are automatically discovered. With hikvision fw, my Surveillance Station discovered the two streams at these resolutions:

1588425620374.png

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Wow I am getting dyslectic in my older age. I even went back to someone who originally told me about the new version and I got the numbers backwards. Thank you for that catch, corrected the 101.

View attachment 60807

It is great that the EZVIZ Alexa Skill works on your DB1 with the Hikvision firmware. But the big question is; Does Alexa work on a Hikvision DB with the EZVIZ skill?
@Pilot04 did some testing on this with his RCA DB and even though the LaView firmware was loaded on his RCA, the LaView Alexa Skill did not work. If I remember right he also tried the EZVIZ firmware and EZVIZ Skill, same thing. So this sounds crazy, but we linked it to hardware not the firmware in that if you own a LaView or EZVIZ DB, the Alexa Skills work because each company must have a way to check their serial numbers of their DBs.
We even both tried this with Google; we both linked our LaView and RCA DBs to Google and loaded EZVIZ firmware (Which EZVIZ DB works on Alexa and Google) hoping to get Google to work and neither of our DBs worked. So i will send a message out to Hikvision DB owners to see if any had success in natively getting Alexa or Google to work.

Thank You for all your input and help, so glad we did not lose you to a bricked DB...I am with pete_c, never liked updating firmware via WiFi, but yet all my IoT devices do it now a days, it really is up to how a reset can recover a device.

David
My friend, you don't have to thank me, you are helping everybody in here and you also helped me when I started, I'm just trying to give back what I can. You are doing an incredible job, and I'm very grateful for your commitment here. :)

I think Hikvision and EZVIZ are really tied, I don't know if it's the same group of companies, but the factis that Hikvision uses exactly the same cloud as ezviz. If I had to bet, I'd say that the DS-HD1 works with EZVIZ alexa skill. It's the firmware that does the trick, not the hardware. But this is just my opinion, we need fact-checking. :)

Updating via wifi is the norm since 3-4 years for me. Many products are updated via wifi, mytp-link mesh system too. i update my switches, router and almost everything via wifi. No big issues so far.

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now that @alexdelprete has confirmed DB1 + HK fw = ONVIF, &, Alexa

I'm very interested to here if Google is also possible via this setup

as I Have the Ezviz DB1 model and use both Amazon & Google smart displays throughout

ONVIF + Amazon + Google
this trifecta,
is what I've been waiting for,
Here's Hoping,
it will come to fruition!!!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use Google Home Hub so I can't help. Don't know if @David L has any update on this.
No Google on my LaView, I tried several things, I have a Google Hub too, did not even get it to work on Chromecast.

I have a DB1, in box unopened, that I bought during the sale last year, I do have it on my list to test but been so busy with so many others things, like my new network setup.

Would like to know if anyone without a DB1 got Google to work too. To date there has only been DB1 users who are succesful at this.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@alexdelprete

That is nice that you can adjust your motion detection using batch configuration. Here mine is ghosted out and does not allow for adjustment.

Motion detection is working well now here with the sensitivity just a couple of feet away from the doorbell.

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you explain how did you do that with the API as the Ezviz DB1 does not support Hikvision ISAPI and one must use the NetSDK to "talk" to the DB1?
Yep. I downloaded the SDK, edited their example code a bit, and built a small program after some trial and error. Then I used Home Assistant to run the program through a command line switch.

redturbo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your 16v 10va is what is known as a builder grade transformer. It is actually an upgrade from older houses but not for Video Doorbells.

This is what you need:

just got back from purchasing that at my local home depot, and installing it. everything works now it was my builder grade 16v 10va transformer that was the issue. I thought it was going to be fine but nope

Now with the new transformer everything works great.

Diabolic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the past i was able to set the motion detection area in Surveillance station. So this morning i tried it again and i had no live view in the motion detection area. It was just a black screen, like you said. I've tested it on my Ubuntu laptop with Firefox. After that i have tried it in Firefox running in Windows 10 and then i had a live view in the motion detection area. So Surveillance station opened in Firefox gives a different behaviour between the 2 operating systems. You can give that a try if you haven't already tried that. In the past i used the Chrome browser to set the motion detection area in Surveillane station.
Unfortunately I was using chrome so I tried firefox and got a warning about using chrome as recommended for viewing the cameras. Ill look into updating chrome cuz that maybe it. I never thought the browser could be the problem. THANKS

Update I realized synology has a client and i'm going to try that and see how it goes. Maybe that will work.

Update 2: in the client it works.. Weird. The live view stream still does not work and when I go into the motion detection screen it shows black but when I got to edit it, its fine. I said earlier to @alexdelprete that i thought it was a resolution thing actually i think its aspect ratio because it appears to attempt to reform the size of the playback box and just keeps it a square. Then when I go into the client and actually edit the motion detection area it picks up the aspect ration and allows for the edit but as soon as a close it its back to black.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just got back from purchasing that at my local home depot, and installing it. everything works now it was my builder grade 16v 10va transformer that was the issue. I thought it was going to be fine but nope

Now with the new transformer everything works great.
Awesome...Enjoy.

Had to look up Point Place, WI, we have a family member who works at University of Wisconsin in Madison...

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@alexdelprete

That is nice that you can adjust your motion detection using batch configuration. Here mine is ghosted out and does not allow for adjustment.

Motion detection is working well now here with the sensitivity just a couple of feet away from the doorbell.
It's the first time I was able to do it. With ezviz fw it doesn't work and I also tried Nelly's fw months ago and it didn't work. With this Hikvision fw it worked, I don't know with previous versions though.

Like I said in previous post: right now I think this is the best combo (DB1+Hikvision fw) I've tried: all functions I need are there and they're working fine. :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unfortunately I was using chrome so I tried firefox and got a warning about using chrome as recommended for viewing the cameras. Ill look into updating chrome cuz that maybe it. I never thought the browser could be the problem. THANKS

Update I realized synology has a client and i'm going to try that and see how it goes. Maybe that will work.

Update 2: in the client it works.. Weird. The live view stream still does not work and when I go into the motion detection screen it shows black but when I got to edit it, its fine. I said earlier to @alexdelprete that i thought it was a resolution thing actually i think its aspect ratio because it appears to attempt to reform the size of the playback box and just keeps it a square. Then when I go into the client and actually edit the motion detection area it picks up the aspect ration and allows for the edit but as soon as a close it its back to black.
I'm using Edge Chromium beta.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now that @alexdelprete has confirmed DB1 + HK fw = ONVIF, &, Alexa

I'm very interested to here if Google is also possible via this setup

as I Have the Ezviz DB1 model and use both Amazon & Google smart displays throughout

ONVIF + Amazon + Google
this trifecta,
is what I've been waiting for,
Here's Hoping,
it will come to fruition!!!
Ok, since you and @flynreelow asked, I configured Google Home on my Shield TV Pro 2019, and added EZVIZ integration. I authenticated and it found the DB1 immediately.

I then immediately tried it by saying: "show doorbell" but the answer of the Assistant was that the device was not configured, or something like that. I then asked for a "device resync", and waited a couple of minutes.
I retried the "show doorbell" voice command, and this time the assistant answered: "ok, I'll stream the doorbell on Shield Pro", then a black screen for 20-30 secs, then the image appeared on the tv. :)

So basically it works with DB1+Hikvision fw. Only downside is that it takes 25-30 secs for the stream to show up, and also, I noticed a lot of buffering when streaming, every 10 secs it had to rebuffer the video.

Here are a couple of quick shots (sorry for the quality) of the tv to show it's working. "Citofono" is the name of the DB1. :)

Hope it helps.

1588476319637.png1588476445363.png

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK will update firmware again but this time to latest Hikvision firmware. I do not think I will brick it.

Typically have done this with my W2016 server via Ubuntu RDP at a Gb connection.

Doing it today via my Widows 7 laptop connected via Gb. Only wireless is to the doorbell.

So will upgrade my firmware today from the most recent Nelly firmware to most recent Hikvision firmware.

Currently installed firmware is:

Nelly firmware: 191216 (2019-12-16)

Will upgrade today to this firmware using this link:

Hikvision firmware: 200321 (2020-03-31)

Thank you @alexdelprete

No issues with upgrade to V5.2.4 Build 200321

RTSP, ONVIF and JPG captures working fine.

Under Batch configuration / event

1 - motion detection settings are working now and not ghosted out *
2 - video tampering detection is still ghosted out
3 - video loss detection is still ghosted out

Under batch config / CCD

1 - ccd / video parameters / gain still ghosted out.
2 - ccd / white balance modes not ghosted out
3 - ccd / exposure / not ghosted out
4 - ccd / wdr / ghosted out
5 - ccd / day-night / dnr / backlight compensation / other are fine

Will test some more shortly...

Last edited: