New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Im getting a bit afraid now buying the ezviz db1 to upgrade to hikvision if you guys start to get faulty devices with upgrade?

Is it any point to upgrade to an onvif firmware if the rtsp stream on ezviz is stable?
We've upgraded tens of times with different fw. Never bricked it. You're not obliged to have ONVIF, you can configure your Synology Surveillance Station manually with the camera. ONVIF is not mandatory to make it work.
RTSP streams are available with or without ONVIF. ONVIF is just a standard to let an onvif-compatible software query all the functions of the camera and access it without direct firmware integration, it's a standard interface.

So if you're scared of upgrading to another firmware, don't do it, nobody obliges you too. Plus, if you want to disable the external bell sound, the only way is having ezviz fw with ezviz app.

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just tried to upgrade my Ezviz db1 camera directly from the version out of the box to the latest Hikvision firmware 5.2.4_200321 and it resulted in a SOLID RED button led state. I have managed to fix it and here is how...
Pull the power and wait ages for the LED to go out and remove the front cover whilst waiting, it may take an hour.

1. With no power applied and the LED no light up as it has lost power hold in the reset button and keep it held in.
2. Apply power with the reset still held in.
3. The button light will flash and when this happens push the big button whilst you still have the reset held in.
4. Wait and the camera will speak to you and go back to flashing blue LED state.

I am not 100% sure what order was important and I may have pressed the doorbell button more than once but sorry I dont feel like bricking it again to test this out so if it does not work, just experiment and then post for others on what worked for you. The key was draining all the power and turning it back on with the reset held in.
What procedure did you follow to upgrade?

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Im getting a bit afraid now buying the ezviz db1 to upgrade to hikvision if you guys start to get faulty devices with upgrade?

Is it any point to upgrade to an onvif firmware if the rtsp stream on ezviz is stable?
I think this is the question that always should be asked when considering fw change. I cannot really answer this because I never “ upgraded” to other brand. Still use ezviz fw and 24/7 rtsp stream upload via motioneye on raspberry pi to stack-exchange cloud. Most important I really don’t want the outside chime, which is very annoying. Never missed onvif. But thats my opinion not using onvif.

Skinah

n3wb
Reaction score
What procedure did you follow to upgrade?
I used the Batch Config tool and selected the "file upgrade" option. I dont know what firmware was in it as it was the version it came with from Ezviz and I did not do a factory reset on it, I just connected it to my wifi with the ezviz app, then went straight to upgrading the firmware. Its all working now and I have ONVIF connecting with onvif device manager so all good :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used the Batch Config tool and selected the "file upgrade" option. I dont know what firmware was in it as it was the version it came with from Ezviz and I did not do a factory reset on it, I just connected it to my wifi with the ezviz app, then went straight to upgrading the firmware. Its all working now and I have ONVIF connecting with onvif device manager so all good :)
Check second line of my signature (I just put the link in there). That procedure has been tested several times. Reset is mandatory when switching to another vendor's fw because there are small differences in the configuration data structure of the different firmwares.

You reset it the hard way. Glad everything's working fine for you. :)

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check second line of my signature (I just put the link in there). That procedure has been tested several times. Reset is mandatory when switching to another vendor's fw because there are small differences in the configuration data structure of the different firmwares.

You reset it the hard way. Glad everything's working fine for you. :)
I see in the post you linked to say to put the SSID to EZVIZ - does this regard if I intent to upgrade to hkvision too or should I set another SSID before upgrading to hkvision?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see in the post you linked to say to put the SSID to EZVIZ - does this regard if I intent to upgrade to hkvision too or should I set another SSID before upgrading to hkvision?
It depends on the mobile app you use. EZVIZ mobile app's wizard expects the EZVIZ_ prefix. I think the other apps do work with EZVIZ_ ssid but I'm not sure, I always used EZVIZ app to configure the camera from scratch.

When you upgrade to hikvision fw, and reset, the ssid will be softap_

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It depends on the mobile app you use. EZVIZ mobile app expects the EZVIZ_ prefix.

When you upgrade to hikvision fw, and reset, the ssid will be softap_
Sorry for asking too much, but if I upgrade to hikvision, should I change to their app, or so I need to still change the SSID to EZVIZ and use the EZVIZ app even with the hikvision fw?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry for asking too much, but if I upgrade to hikvision, should I change to their app, or so I need to still change the SSID to EZVIZ and use the EZVIZ app even with the hikvision fw?
You can use any mobile app with any firmware. Exceptions and notes:

1. EZVIZ is issuing a warning that since august (or september, can't remember exactly) you can't use the same account with the different mobile apps, you have to choose one
2. All the mobile apps provide the same functionalities across all firmwares, except EZVIZ app that removed the chime configuration setting after the first configuration.
3. Hik-connect is not available on google playstore anymore, you can find it here: Hikvision App Store
4. The external sound option is only available with EZVIZ mobile app with EZVIZ firmware
5. The default ssid of the camera after reset for ezviz fw is EZVIZ_ with hikvision fw it's softap_ if you decide to use EZVIZ app wizard you have to make sure to modify the SSID accordingly. For Hik-Connect app, or Guarding Vision, I don't know if they expect EZVIZ_ or other ssid since I only used ezviz app for first configuration.

Hope it's clear now. If someone configured the DB1 with hik-connect or guarding vision wizards, they can tell us if the softap_ ssid worked or if it had to be changed to EZVIZ_. In any case,it's easy to try once you're at that step.

Last edited:

Killerjay

n3wb
Reaction score
am i the only one that has a ezviz db1 where the alexa skill is useless? everytime i ask to see the doorbell it says its asleep, but it works no problem on the app

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
An alternative to the Ezviz Alexa skill would be the Alexa Monocle skill which uses a local reverse proxy to view your video on Alexa devices.

Monocle is a gateway service that enables seamless integration of your private IP-based network cameras with smart home automation services such as Amazon Alexa®.

Try both and compare them.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
am i the only one that has a ezviz db1 where the alexa skill is useless? everytime i ask to see the doorbell it says its asleep, but it works no problem on the app
Mine works, also with Google Home. But the initial connection to the camera takes 15-20 sec. (30 on Google) because the skill is cloud based and I think it's poorly implemented.

Since I use Synology Surveillance Station as NVR, I was hoping they developed a skill to see the camera but they only made apps for android/ios, no skills for that yet.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just tried to upgrade my Ezviz db1 camera directly from the version out of the box to the latest Hikvision firmware 5.2.4_200321 and it resulted in a SOLID RED button led state. I have managed to fix it and here is how...
Pull the power and wait ages for the LED to go out and remove the front cover whilst waiting, it may take an hour.

1. With no power applied and the LED no light up as it has lost power hold in the reset button and keep it held in.
2. Apply power with the reset still held in.
3. The button light will flash and when this happens push the big button whilst you still have the reset held in.
4. Wait and the camera will speak to you and go back to flashing blue LED state.

I am not 100% sure what order was important and I may have pressed the doorbell button more than once but sorry I dont feel like bricking it again to test this out so if it does not work, just experiment and then post for others on what worked for you. The key was draining all the power and turning it back on with the reset held in.
Wow, really hope this is the answer to fix bricks...I will include it in our 101...Thanks for the share...

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lets see how this is going to go. Delivered today, but sadly more expensive in norway than us (89USD in US and 160USD in Norway) This is the correct one, right? (before I open the box)

20200709_174530.jpg

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here sold my Ring Doorbell for the same price purchased on sale at Amazon on Ebay. Upped the price to include free shipping.

I sold first generation Hikvision video doorbell for same price purchased (after testing it).

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here sold my Ring Doorbell for the same price purchased on sale at Amazon on Ebay. Upped the price to include free shipping.

I sold first generation Hikvision video doorbell for same price purchased (after testing it).
Its mostly local selling here, but guess I can most for the doorbird. Think they still sell for like 500 bucks. its the apple of doorbells, but with just a 480p vga camera. If it had HD it would be ultimate. Onvif, local API, SIP etc

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good. Now I hopefully can sell the ring and doorbird soon and get out of paying subscription. It really adds up paying the subscriptions if you think about it
True. That's why I never bought cloud based doorbells. I want full control for my devices, and independence from internet, as much as possible.

Let us know how it goes. :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Its mostly local selling here, but guess I can most for the doorbird. Think they still sell for like 500 bucks. its the apple of doorbells, but with just a 480p vga camera. If it had HD it would be ultimate. Onvif, local API, SIP etc
500 bucks for a 480p cloud based camera. Apple's philosophy. Total madness. I hope you find another guy who embraces that philosophy.

What was the value proposition to justify 500 bucks? Did it clean the pool too? :)