New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure.

My code is here:

It is a fork of home assistant you have to look at the commits to see what I changed. Python is the language to go for this type of things unless you are versed enough in C++ which I am not. I am not even in IT by trade.

For the nitty gritty details, I tested a number of AI frameworks, inference models and classification algorithms before settling to use pytorch and retinaface for facial detection and arcface for face recognition.
They are modifications of an original implementations which used a very different framework (dlib) so that's why it is strangely located under the dlib component. I started from dlib and evolved the component -> opencv for face detection + dlib for encoding and classification -> changed classification to SVM classifier to improve accuracy ->pytorch retinaface for detection -> pytorch arcface for encoding and classification. This is as far as I know the state of the art for accuracy and speed.

Then I implemented another model (Yolov4) for other cameras (people, deers and car detection) which meant I needed a GPU to do all of this real time. So I pretty much obsoleted movement detection as an alarm as it had too many false positive.

I also implemented quite a bit of optimization of the video stream handling of home assistant...
Hey rafale, very impressive, even though I don't understand half of what you just said :) With your permission, we would like to include your github links in the 101

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Absolutely no problem! Anybody can ask question too. I was a noob at these AI stuff 4 months ago. I learned from others and am happy to share what I've learned.

tewanchuk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All. Got my self into a real predicament here. Upgrade to Laview, but must have changed the device code/admin password, now I can't join the local camera wifi? How do I fix that. Resetting from the camera doesn't seem to work. Tried Laview_XXXXXX

damarfi

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like no help here for my problem.. SSID and passwords mixes during registration with EZVIZ app. Ask for softap SSID then when I changed in Batch configuration stuck at 90% and stop the process. Tried with reseting and hard resting, followed instructions from this forum but no help. Thought that forum is place for help :)

KC8DKT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All. Got my self into a real predicament here. Upgrade to Laview, but must have changed the device code/admin password, now I can't join the local camera wifi? How do I fix that. Resetting from the camera doesn't seem to work. Tried Laview_XXXXXX
For starters what DoorBell do you have?
Did you or did you NOT change the USER admin password?
If the DB wifi AP is working what is the ssid that shows up when you search for the local APs?
What firmware build did you flash onto your DB?

You said holding reset on the DB did not fix it, did you remove the power from the DB then hold down reset and put the power back on NEVER letting go of the reset button till it talked to you? 45sec too about 90sec depending on the FW and size of your SDCard and what files are on it.

KC8DKT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like no help here for my problem.. SSID and passwords mixes during registration with EZVIZ app. Ask for softap SSID then when I changed in Batch configuration stuck at 90% and stop the process. Tried with reseting and hard resting, followed instructions from this forum but no help. Thought that forum is place for help :)
By any chance did you setup your DB with a diff app?
If you have the RCA DB and use the RCA app then flash to the Hik FW and try to use the Hic App it will do the 90% and hang.
I had this problem, I had to reinstall the RCA app and go into the app and remove my DB.
After I did that the Hik App stopped hanging at 90%
No clue why this is a problem but you can find others that had this same problem.

If that is not the problem then try the wifi setup with BatchConfig and just skip all the SSID rename to match the App crap.

Hold reset down till it tells you reset is done.
Use BatchConfig to log onto the DBs AP by connecting your phone or laptop wifi to it. Guessing softap_???????
In BC the lower half should list 1 device and give you the IPv4 Address.
In the TOP half ADD and use that IP and the PW will be softap_?????? 6 cap letters on your scan code and caps matter!
In BC on the top click REFRESH and you should now see a GEAR for remote config on that device you just added
Go to Network and then Wi-Fi and click SELECT and pick your home network. My RCA does not have a 5g option but I can pick 5g in BC and it works fine but I have 2 SSIDs setup.
After you click save give it about 30sec.
Switch your phone or what ever your running EZVIZ app and connect it to your home wifi. Again some say it has to be the same if 5g on DB 5g on Phone. I have no problem mix match though.
EZVIF should now find it and skip all that network setup scan crap and just go into the user settings.

Last edited:

tewanchuk

n3wb
Reaction score
By any chance did you setup your DB with a diff app?
If you have the RCA DB and use the RCA app then flash to the Hik FW and try to use the Hic App it will do the 90% and hang.
I had this problem, I had to reinstall the RCA app and go into the app and remove my DB.
After I did that the Hik App stopped hanging at 90%
No clue why this is a problem but you can find others that had this same problem.

If that is not the problem then try the wifi setup with BatchConfig and just skip all the SSID rename to match the App crap.

Hold reset down till it tells you reset is done.
Use BatchConfig to log onto the DBs AP by connecting your phone or laptop wifi to it. Guessing softap_???????
In BC the lower half should list 1 device and give you the IPv4 Address.
In the TOP half ADD and use that IP and the PW will be softap_?????? 6 cap letters on your scan code and caps matter!
In BC on the top click REFRESH and you should now see a GEAR for remote config on that device you just added
Go to Network and then Wi-Fi and click SELECT and pick your home network. My RCA does not have a 5g option but I can pick 5g in BC and it works fine but I have 2 SSIDs setup.
After you click save give it about 30sec.
Switch your phone or what ever your running EZVIZ app and connect it to your home wifi. Again some say it has to be the same if 5g on DB 5g on Phone. I have no problem mix match though.
EZVIF should now find it and skip all that network setup scan crap and just go into the user settings.
THANKS... I managed to get back in with the default Laview/code combo after a reset... flashed back to EZVIZ and all is good. Much appreciated... the Hikvsions 5.2.4 went well but my NVR did not seem to find the camera nor did ONVIFManager, which leads me to believe it might be something on the LAN that is a miss...

KC8DKT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
THANKS... I managed to get back in with the default Laview/code combo after a reset... flashed back to EZVIZ and all is good. Much appreciated... the Hikvsions 5.2.4 went well but my NVR did not seem to find the camera nor did ONVIFManager, which leads me to believe it might be something on the LAN that is a miss...

Put you DB IP in a DMZ on your router and see if that fixes the ONVIF problem. If it does then you know its a setting on your network, if not your more or less 90% sure its a DB settings/FirmWare problem. Its NOT a 100% test but its easy and fast and gives you a place to start at least.

Off hand I do NOT know the default laview ONVIF port but I know the RCA with Hik FW was not the normal default (8999 if mem serves) port and I had to set BlueIrir to Port 80 for ONVIF it to work.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you had it hooked up to a chime?

I thought I recalled you don’t use a chime ... I will go power cycle Sage sensor then
Check my sig: I use an Aeotec z-wave chime/siren. SAGE sends the notification via zigbee to my HE automation hub, and I've a Rule Machine trigger that commands my aeotec to chime and commands all echo devices through the house to announce someone's at the external gate.

Did you solve the issue with the SAGE?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sure.

My code is here:

It is a fork of home assistant you have to look at the commits to see what I changed. Python is the language to go for this type of things unless you are versed enough in C++ which I am not. I am not even in IT by trade.

For the nitty gritty details, I tested a number of AI frameworks, inference models and classification algorithms before settling to use pytorch and retinaface for facial detection and arcface for face recognition.
They are modifications of an original implementations which used a very different framework (dlib) so that's why it is strangely located under the dlib component. I started from dlib and evolved the component -> opencv for face detection + dlib for encoding and classification -> changed classification to SVM classifier to improve accuracy ->pytorch retinaface for detection -> pytorch arcface for encoding and classification. This is as far as I know the state of the art for accuracy and speed.

Then I implemented another model (Yolov4) for other cameras (people, deers and car detection) which meant I needed a GPU to do all of this real time. So I pretty much obsoleted movement detection as an alarm as it had too many false positive.

I also implemented quite a bit of optimization of the video stream handling of home assistant...
Impressive stuff Rafale. You should think of making a sort of "plugin" for various automation hubs. It would be incredible to announce the name of the visitor at the door/gate. :)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Check my sig: I use an Aeotec z-wave chime/siren. SAGE sends the notification via zigbee to my HE automation hub, and I've a Rule Machine trigger that commands my aeotec to chime and commands all echo devices through the house to announce someone's at the external gate.

Did you solve the issue with the SAGE?
I haven't went to pull the battery out yet. My son gotten ill last night and most of my attention went to him.

I will go pull the battery out today and see if it restore the chime on my mechanical doorbell. '

If it does restore the chime then I will reinsert the battery back in and test it. if not then I will have to troubleshoot it further.

It is on my agenda to add a door sensor inside the mechanical chime where it will detect the magnetic field when doorbell is pressed and send event to my hub. Attach is a photo I pulled from the web what I meant by this.

ebe3e2b720ee1e9e859cab7e5c698da3fd8cb28e_2_690x466.jpg

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven't went to pull the battery out yet. My son gotten ill last night and most of my attention went to him.

I will go pull the battery out today and see if it restore the chime on my mechanical doorbell. '

If it does restore the chime then I will reinsert the battery back in and test it. if not then I will have to troubleshoot it further.

It is on my agenda to add a door sensor inside the mechanical chime where it will detect the magnetic field when doorbell is pressed and send event to my hub. Attach is a photo I pulled from the web what I meant by this.
Family first, always. hope your son is getting better.

There are several alternatives to explore. Someone put a zigbee vibration sensor inside the mechanical chime to catch the notification. :)

The problem for me is that I have no traditional chimes. So I need to work on a power in-line sensor like the SAGE.

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Impressive stuff Rafale. You should think of making a sort of "plugin" for various automation hubs. It would be incredible to announce the name of the visitor at the door/gate. :)

It's a brilliant idea. It technically doesn't need to be inside home assistant actually. It really made it a bit more complicated than writing it as standalone python program. I am already having my house great people by their name according to who they recognized as they enter the house... :p but never thought about announcing who is at the door... And yes even my TTS service is local (MacOS). Totally cloudless.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Family first, always. hope your son is getting better.

There are several alternatives to explore. Someone put a zigbee vibration sensor inside the mechanical chime to catch the notification. :)

The problem for me is that I have no traditional chimes. So I need to work on a power in-line sensor like the SAGE.

There is another one "Nexia" but it's a zwave plus and you being on the other side of the pond which I believe zwave frequency is different over there so it probably won't work for you.

I am a tinker by nature so there is one thing I can think of at the top of my head that might work for you however I can't promise it will work successful until one test it first.

Get an old or used mechanical doorbell chime.
Dismantle the chime and remove the magnetic coil from it.
Remove the chime kicker from the center of the magnetic coil
Tape the magnetic coil next to the zigbee door sensor on the magnet pick up side.
Attach the wires from the magnetic coil to the doorbell circuity

Ideally, the coil itself should generate enough magnetic to trigger an event in the door sensor when power is applied to it.

Just a theory .... so don't hold me to it ... heck I might even try one myself.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a brilliant idea. It technically doesn't need to be inside home assistant actually. It really made it a bit more complicated than writing it as standalone python program. I am already having my house great people by their name according to who they recognized as they enter the house... :p but never thought about announcing who is at the door... And yes even my TTS service is local (MacOS). Totally cloudless.
You should check out Hubitat Elevation hub .... They could use good coder over there too ...

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could also make a python package (running as a service) to install on a server (local or remote) via pip, with a clear and agile API, and then provide plugins/drivers examples for the most used automation platforms (Hubitat, HA, SmartThings, OpenHAB and you got the majority of users I believe). I think everyone who has a camera at the front door/gate would use it. But there are also more use cases for face recognition: if you could combine face recognition with PIR (to make sure it's the real person and not a photo) you could unlock a door via face recognition. :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is another one "Nexia" but it's a zwave plus and you being on the other side of the pond which I believe zwave frequency is different over there so it probably won't work for you.

I am a tinker by nature so there is one thing I can think of at the top of my head that might work for you however I can't promise it will work successful until one test it first.

Get an old or used mechanical doorbell chime.
Dismantle the chime and remove the magnetic coil from it.
Remove the chime kicker from the center of the magnetic coil
Tape the magnetic coil next to the zigbee door sensor on the magnet pick up side.
Attach the wires from the magnetic coil to the doorbell circuity

Ideally, the coil itself should generate enough magnetic to trigger an event in the door sensor when power is applied to it.

Just a theory .... so don't hold me to it ... heck I might even try one myself.
I think I'll try this one: wifi and triggers via MQTT. But I don't like the fact that is powered by battery, I'd have preferred a 12VDC power + battery.

Firefly Doorbell Sensor – Firefly Electronix (fireflyelectronix.com)
WiFi Doorbell Documentation · fireflyelectronix/firefly_doorbell_sensor Wiki · GitHub

Unfortunately I'll spend more for shipment+VAT taxes here then the product itself. :(

1600806922196.png1600806940283.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You should check out Hubitat Elevation hub .... They could use good coder over there too ...

Yes I am pretty familiar with hubitat. I had one at one point when it was a startup project and one of my buddies is still running on it.
I came from the vera system and have evolved/migrated into a community driven/open source environment on lua, with a little assistance from Home Assistant.
I was so vocal on the old vera forum about my discontent of the direction the new owners were taking that I got banned from there (along with now a bunch of others) and with a group of community members we created our own smarthome forum:

I am a big advocate of localized home automation/control... and open source so hubitat maybe a stretch for me. :)