New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

itguy78

n3wb
Reaction score
On Friday afternoon, I had successfully installed and configured the DB1 with the original 190304 firmware and configured BI to use the RTSP stream.

On Friday night, after reading the 101 guide, and last few pages on this thread, I decided I wanted to upgrade to the HikVision F/W to get the ONVIF to use with OpenHab and BI, so I followed @alexdelprete f/w upgrade guide, and I permenantly bricked my EZVIZ DB1 trying to upgrade from the original EZVIZ F/W 5.2.4 190304 directly to HikVision F/W 200321 using Batch Config 3.0.3.8. The DB1 is now stuck with constant red ring; no flickering of the red ring when pressing the reset button. No AP broadcasting. I disconnected the DB1 wires to the transformer overnight, and then tried the Skinah's recovery steps with no luck. I also tried installing a memory card with the HikVision F/W 200321 renamed as digicap.dav and that didn't work. I tried various 30-30-30, 60-60-60 reset power cycles (similar to the old DD-WRT steps), while holding combinations of the reset button and db button down with no luck either.

On Saturday, I went and bought another DB1. This time I upgraded the F/W using the EZVIZ app to the current version it indicated, which was 191211, and I have it configured in BI to use the RTSP stream.

I spent all Sunday reading from pg 69 (original 101) all the way to the end (pg 239). There were were I think two whole posts buried in those 170 pages that indicated to update EZVIZ FW to 191211 first before upgrading to HikVision. The 101 warns not to update to current RCA FW versions, and upgrade directly to current version of Laview, Nelly or HikVision FW, but there were no warning about FW version paths for DB1's. A few posts indicated problems using Batch Config 3.0.3.8 and to use 3.0.2.6 (but there was no link to where to get the older version), so I don't know if the FW upgrade crashed using newer BC version. I managed to find a copy of the older BC version 3.0.2.6 on Nelly's site. I confirmed the SHA1 for my HikVision FW 200321 file matched what someone (I think it may have been alexdelprete) posted in one message in this thread. I really suggest adding the SHA256 checksums for all the firmware and tool version files to the 101.

While you can use powershell scripts, I use the CertUtil.exe file that is already a part of Win10 to generate SHA256 checksums. syntax is "Certutil -hashfile <filename> SHA256"

Tomorrow, I will try again to upgrade my replacement DB1 from EZVIZ FW 191211 to HikVision FW 200321 using Batch Config 3.0.2.6.
IMG_4410.jpg
I already had aEZVIZ DB1 opened up because I wanted to check other stuff (on serial port), so I figured I could try to replicate the issue you had and yes: I tried upgrading from EZVIZ FW 190304 directly to HikVision F/W 200321 using batch config 3.0.2.6 and it also "bricked" the device. I can also confirm that the steps provided by James92TSi worked fine for restoring device operation.
I can also confirm that upgrading from the EZVIZ FW 200220 to HikVision FW 200321 worked just fine as well as restoring the EZVIZ FW 20220 from HikVision 200321 without any issues -- you do have to manually adjust the setup SSID and Password when switching between the two (so you can use the EZVIZ/hik-connect app accordingly, but no other issues that I could see.
I got this doorbell 'used' for CAD$40 (US$30) so I wasn't worried about damaging the device to start with but mainly I wanted to see if I could open a telnet service port and/or use NFS for storage instead of the SD card -- I was hoping this thing ran on some light version of linux like many other cameras/doorbells but it seems to run some custom RTOS software which only has their application on it, so that's no help to me.

More importantly, I really wanted to thank everyone here for all the information that's been posted about these devices!

Studie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have Ezviv DB1 wired up in my livingroom, trying it out before I install it (I'll have to run wiring for it).
It's powered by an 18v plugin power supply right now, with the Power Kit and Honeywell Wired to wireless converter.
Everything works great initially but the doorbell goes from Solid blue to the flashing red light after many hours of being powered on.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this?
Thanks
Craig

It's the power supply, it happened before. You need a 24v 40VA transformer. Or an 18v plug in power supply with more Amperage.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have Ezviv DB1 wired up in my livingroom, trying it out before I install it (I'll have to run wiring for it).
It's powered by an 18v plugin power supply right now, with the Power Kit and Honeywell Wired to wireless converter.
Everything works great initially but the doorbell goes from Solid blue to the flashing red light after many hours of being powered on.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this?
Thanks
Craig
18v is not enough information. Post a pic of the transformer's details, we need to know the VA value. Is it an AC or DC transformer? Did you install both the fuse and the power-kit?

Check also all electrical connections one more time.

craigers

n3wb
Reaction score
It's the power supply, it happened before. You need a 24v 40VA transformer. Or an 18v plug in power supply with more Amperage.
Thanks. It's an AC18v, 500mA. Got it off Amazon. Description was for Ring Video doorbells so figured it would be fine for my use. Next time I'll research more if it is not adequate.
Power Supply Adapter for The Ring Video Doorbell, Ring Video Doorbell 2 and Ring Video Doorbell Pro by Wasserstein: Amazon.ca: Electronics

I do have a proper transfer but I don't have any wiring in place will need to run everything as right now I just have a battery operated button. Was going to run the plugin adapter to make sure it works properly anduntil I had a chance to run all the wiring.

18v is not enough information. Post a pic of the transformer's details, we need to know the VA value. Is it an AC or DC transformer? Did you install both the fuse and the power-kit?

Check also all electrical connections one more time.
The Ezviz manual does not say to install the Fuse, so only the Power kit is wired in.
This is how it is wired, but with the AC18v wall plug.
1605473219423.png

Thanks
Craig

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Ezviz manual does not say to install the Fuse, so only the Power kit is wired in.
This is how it is wired, but with the 18v wall plug.
That's why I asked IF you installed it. Some people installed it also with the chime installed, it's not needed in that case.
Your transformer is not adequate. 18V 500ma it's 9VA. Usually we recommend an AC 24V 40VA transformer.

craigers

n3wb
Reaction score
That's why I asked IF you installed it. Some people installed it also with the chime installed, it's not needed in that case.
Your transformer is not adequate. 18V 500ma it's 9VA. Usually we recommend an AC 24V 40VA transformer.
Thank you for your help.
Craig

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.
Craig
No problem. I hope you solve the problem. Can't be sure your issue is the transformer, but certainly that one is not adequate, and if you're sure the wiring is correct, that is probably the problem.

Try another transformer and let us know. :)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. It's an AC18v, 500mA. Got it off Amazon. Description was for Ring Video doorbells so figured it would be fine for my use. Next time I'll research more if it is not adequate.
Power Supply Adapter for The Ring Video Doorbell, Ring Video Doorbell 2 and Ring Video Doorbell Pro by Wasserstein: Amazon.ca: Electronics

I do have a proper transfer but I don't have any wiring in place will need to run everything as right now I just have a battery operated button. Was going to run the plugin adapter to make sure it works properly anduntil I had a chance to run all the wiring.

This is how it is wired, but with the AC18v wall plug.
View attachment 75009

Thanks
Craig
Those 500ma transformer probably intended to be use on Ring Doorbell without a chime.

Studie

n3wb
Reaction score
Today, I successfully upgraded my replacement DB1 from EZVIZ FW 191211 to HikVision FW 200321 using Batch Config 3.0.2.6.

While I used Batch Config to change default SSID from softap_serial# to EZVIZ_serial# (use the uppercase and don't change password or anything else, just the SSID), the AP password stayed as softap_AUTHCODE and didn't automatically change back to EZVIZ_AUTHCODE after reboot, so the EZVIZ app couldn't connect. So, I manually connected to the EZVIZ_Serial# AP on my phone using the softap_AUTHCODE password, and then the EZVIZ app was able to reconnect to the DB1 and continue the setup.

I don't know why the original DB1 (manufacture date 03/2020) bricked while upgrading from EZVIZ FW 190304 to HikVision FW 200321 using Batch Config 3.0.3.8, but this time I updated my replacement DB1 (manufacture date 01/2020) from EZVIZ FW 190304 to EZVIZ FW 191211 first using the EZVIZ app, and also used the older Batch Config 3.0.2.6 to then upgrade to HikVision FW 200321.

My original bricked DB1 will be returned to the store since I only bought it last week.
Thank you guys for your help, after following the thread for a little bit, I came up with the courage to upgrade the firmware of my camera.

Initially I was having problems finding out which brand the camera is, it had an EZviz access point but when I tried to pair it with the EZviz app it would not show any further firmware update. The latest firmware for it was 5.2.4 191216. The build date of the camera was 03/2020.

Since I read CBA123's post, I suspect as long as your camera is on the 1912xx firwmare you should be able to upgrade to the original HikVision FW 200321.

So I gave it a try, the worst would happen is me having to unbrick it with the TTL.

Downloaded the HikVision FW 200321 from the hikvision canada website, and flashed my camera with the older Batch Config 3.0.2.6.
Long behold, I got the message Successful.

I went downstairs and the camera was still blue, checked the app and it still showed the old firmware. I deleted the camera off the app and reseted it with the button on the camera. Loaded up Hik-Connect and long behold the firmware was changed! Now I am on the latest firwmare without any issues, the camera paired up to my wifi connection just fine and now all is well.

Thank you guys for all the help.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, here's my screenshot.

If you have not changed the firmware, build 191216 is Nelly's December 16, 2019 firmware.

Plus check out this page, it list the NDB313-W and the build 190625 is the previous firmware (June 25, 2019)

1605494909154.png

Last edited:

Studie

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have not changed the firmware, build 191216 is Nelly's December 16, 2019 firmware.

Plus check out this page, it list the NDB313-W

View attachment 75058
Thanks David, I replied with my sucess of flashing the HIKvision firmware. But for some reason its waiting for moderation review.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 74944
I already had aEZVIZ DB1 opened up because I wanted to check other stuff (on serial port), so I figured I could try to replicate the issue you had and yes: I tried upgrading from EZVIZ FW 190304 directly to HikVision F/W 200321 using batch config 3.0.2.6 and it also "bricked" the device. I can also confirm that the steps provided by James92TSi worked fine for restoring device operation.
I can also confirm that upgrading from the EZVIZ FW 200220 to HikVision FW 200321 worked just fine as well as restoring the EZVIZ FW 20220 from HikVision 200321 without any issues -- you do have to manually adjust the setup SSID and Password when switching between the two (so you can use the EZVIZ/hik-connect app accordingly, but no other issues that I could see.
I got this doorbell 'used' for CAD$40 (US$30) so I wasn't worried about damaging the device to start with but mainly I wanted to see if I could open a telnet service port and/or use NFS for storage instead of the SD card -- I was hoping this thing ran on some light version of linux like many other cameras/doorbells but it seems to run some custom RTOS software which only has their application on it, so that's no help to me.

More importantly, I really wanted to thank everyone here for all the information that's been posted about these devices!
Sorry you missed this in our 101:

NOTE 3: We now have an EZVIZ owner who bricked their Doorbell by upgrading from older firmware 190304 (out of the box), to Hikvision's firmware 200321 - cba123 (BE SURE YOU UPGRADE TO YOUR BRAND'S LATEST FIRMWARE BEFORE CHANGING TO ANOTHER BRAND'S FIRMWARE) SUCCESS: - cba123

Glad you got it unbricked...Thanks James92TSi

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your help, after following the thread for a little bit, I came up with the courage to upgrade the firmware of my camera.

Initially I was having problems finding out which brand the camera is, it had an EZviz access point but when I tried to pair it with the EZviz app it would not show any further firmware update. The latest firmware for it was 5.2.4 191216. The build date of the camera was 03/2020.

Since I read CBA123's post, I suspect as long as your camera is on the 1912xx firwmare you should be able to upgrade to the original HikVision FW 200321.

So I gave it a try, the worst would happen is me having to unbrick it with the TTL.

Downloaded the HikVision FW 200321 from the hikvision canada website, and flashed my camera with the older Batch Config 3.0.2.6.
Long behold, I got the message Successful.

I went downstairs and the camera was still blue, checked the app and it still showed the old firmware. I deleted the camera off the app and reseted it with the button on the camera. Loaded up Hik-Connect and long behold the firmware was changed! Now I am on the latest firwmare without any issues, the camera paired up to my wifi connection just fine and now all is well.

Thank you guys for all the help.
I see your message now...Enjoy your DB

Tehkor

n3wb
Reaction score
I keep getting this error every time I try to adjust WDR or BLC default settings under CCD in batch config tool 3.0.3.8.

'Error Code HCNetSDK.dll[11].(Data error. The data sent to or received from the device is incorrect'

I have a DS-HD1 upgraded to firmware V5.2.4 build 200321. I tried searching this thread for key words but I'm not finding anything. I seem to remember reading that WDR support was removed ?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I keep getting this error every time I try to adjust WDR or BLC default settings under CCD in batch config tool 3.0.3.8.

'Error Code HCNetSDK.dll[11].(Data error. The data sent to or received from the device is incorrect'

I have a DS-HD1 upgraded to firmware V5.2.4 build 200321. I tried searching this thread for key words but I'm not finding anything. I seem to remember reading that WDR support was removed ?
What version of Batch Config are you running?

Tehkor

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
New version V3.1.0.4 completely removed CCD options. Need to get a copy of V3.0.2.6. Also see that this issue was addressed on page 201. Having troubling finding V3.0.2.6 so if anybody knows where to get it please let me know.
You can use the ezviz studio application for windows its on ezviz website but you need your ezviz logins to mange the camera, it has the ccd still thats how i configured wdr.