New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

BobDoh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
a-b = 0,3 volt´AC
c-d = 0,8 volt AC
a-b, and c-d needs to be measured in DC. And you didn't provide measurements for when button is pressed and button not pressed.

The Modernizr operates on DC voltage. Your barrel jack power supply input gets converted to DC voltage for the rest of the board.
The green connector is an input signal from your bell/transformer going to the Modernizr's cpu via an optocoupler. The important bit is that the optocoupler acts as the bridge between the bell and the Modernizr. It acts like a lighthouse in a storm, flashing on a torch to the Modernizr's cpu when it senses enough power on the connector input. There is no direct electrical connection. Within the optocoupler, communicating a bell-is-pressed signal to the Modernizr's cpu is done by flashing on an LED, hence the lighthouse analogy.

So what's this got to do with your situation? As far as the optocoupler is concerned, when there is enough power (more accurately, enough current) on its input, it lights up. This is where I asked for the DC voltage at a-b when doorbell button was NOT pressed, and when it is pressed.
You want to have near zero current at a-b when doorbell is not pressed so that the optocoupler does not turn on, so that it doesn't communicate an ON signal to the Modernizr's cpu.

But connecting it like my picture below worked. And it showed off, when not pressed and on when pressed. But is that a safe way to connect it? If I do a more rebust connection better with soldering? Its ac power.
What this sounds like is that there was enough voltage/current going into the optocoupler that it was turning ON all the time even when doorbell button was not pressed. By adding the resistors, you have essentially lowered the current going into the optocoupler. The current is now low enough that it is not triggering ON, therefore it is OFF. If it works for you, then great; problem solved.
Note that the same could be achieved by having the 2 resistors in series (back to back) instead of one either side of the connector terminals. Or a single resistor of similar total value (~6.6k). Also note that it depends on the wires connecting your doorbell to the Modernizr, since wires have a resistance, the longer your wire, the more resistance it effectively has, and that could change the situation once installed versus sitting there with short wires on your test bench.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, i took a screenshot of the firmware prompt before updating it because I had a gut feeling that my chime is going to stop working after I did the firmware update. You can see the firmware version I upgraded from and to below.

I been using EZVIZ app since all apps now answer the DB with microphone enabled couple of month ago so I didn't see any point using other apps. I have to quickly hit the mute button as soon the viewer comes on in screen but often the person already heard my background noise before I can get a mute it so they know they are being monitored.

I was never told to do a hard reset on my old DB by the tech support until I got this new DB1 and last night they told me to do a hard reset and run the installation again after the firmware update which got my chime back. So I don't know if doing a hard reset on my old DB1 would had restore chime function. I do recalled asking them if I should go do a hard reset to see if that fixes it and they mentioned that removing and adding back in DB1 on app should have restore the installation setting so they never asked me to do a hard reset.

If anyone lose their chime function after doing a firmware upgrade in the app then yes I would recommend doing a hard reset which mean removing the security screw and the DB cover then hold the reset button for more than 5 second. When the reset button is released, the led should flash red then you would do a new installation on the EZVIZ app.

Here the screenshot ....

View attachment 75635
Crazy but I did not even know of the existence 181024 build/version on a DB1, will need to add it to the 101, also your Chime Fix, thank you...

1606396119409.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving All

I got to say this twice in this Forum :)

1606400648059.png

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Crazy but I did not even know of the existence 181024 build/version on a DB1, will need to add it to the 101, also your Chime Fix, thank you...

View attachment 75673
I like the new motion alert screenshot feature on the new firmware.

It playback 3 screenshots with a second delay in between when viewing motion alert screenshot rather just a single screenshot

sometime I get a screenshot with person still too far away or head turned sideway and with 3 screenshot taken now it make it easier to identify what trigger the motion.

carphone

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Crazy idea to be get an alert on the doorbell press into your internet of things world (no easy options for me as I don't have it wired up to a chime).

I saw this YouTube video HERE on the Flic 2 button. How about I just stick this flic over the EZVIZ doorbell button lol??

In theory I can then send this press direct to my Alexa / echo dots / echo show etc. Not sure it would fit / stick and a bit pricey to solve my problem, but I love a new gadget he he. Would need a nice sticker on it - "PRESS HERE" lol.

Dan

carphone

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, i took a screenshot of the firmware prompt before updating it because I had a gut feeling that my chime is going to stop working after I did the firmware update. You can see the firmware version I upgraded from and to below.

I been using EZVIZ app since all apps now answer the DB with microphone enabled couple of month ago so I didn't see any point using other apps. I have to quickly hit the mute button as soon the viewer comes on in screen but often the person already heard my background noise before I can get a mute it so they know they are being monitored.

I was never told to do a hard reset on my old DB by the tech support until I got this new DB1 and last night they told me to do a hard reset and run the installation again after the firmware update which got my chime back. So I don't know if doing a hard reset on my old DB1 would had restore chime function. I do recalled asking them if I should go do a hard reset to see if that fixes it and they mentioned that removing and adding back in DB1 on app should have restore the installation setting so they never asked me to do a hard reset.

If anyone lose their chime function after doing a firmware upgrade in the app then yes I would recommend doing a hard reset which mean removing the security screw and the DB cover then hold the reset button for more than 5 second. When the reset button is released, the led should flash red then you would do a new installation on the EZVIZ app.

Here the screenshot ....

View attachment 75635
Hmm I have an eziviz DB1 variant also, but the latest version according to the app is build 200220. Your 200904 build seems newer - ,maybe not available in the UK? I tried loading up the app whilst connected to a USA VPN but still no newer version offered.

Also, I could not find a firmware download page for the EZIVIZ DB1 (only the direct links on page 101). Would be tempted to upgrade it manually to have a play if a link does exist.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm I have an eziviz DB1 variant also, but the latest version according to the app is build 200220. Your 200904 build seems newer - ,maybe not available in the UK? I tried loading up the app whilst connected to a USA VPN but still no newer version offered.

Also, I could not find a firmware download page for the EZIVIZ DB1 (only the direct links on page 101). Would be tempted to upgrade it manually to have a play if a link does exist.
I attached 200904 here for you...

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
New version V3.1.0.4 completely removed CCD options. Need to get a copy of V3.0.2.6. Also see that this issue was addressed on page 201. Having troubling finding V3.0.2.6 so if anybody knows where to get it please let me know.

Here the screenshot ....

View attachment 75635
So today I was also able to get my chime working, my steps were similar but slightly different, so posting here for completeness...

Hardware: Hik-Vision DS-HD1
Prior Firmware: Hikvision 200321
Previously configured via BCT only and placed on restrictive IOT VLAN.
Was unable to configure via any phone app, and in addition to the chime, no DNS calls etc were being made on doorbell press.

Step 1: Uploaded EZVIZ firmware 200220
Step 2: Hard Reset, to include removal of power, holding in reset button while re-applied (resets admin PWD as well)
Step 3: Added temporary firewall rule to IOT VLAN to allow all outbound connections
[At this point, attempted to add device using an iPhone SE-2 running iOS 14.2 and the EZ-Viz app and Hik-Connect app... all failed at the "Connect to device wifi" step, even when I manually joined to network]​
Step 4: Using an iPad Mini running iPad OS 13.4.1, ran setup successfully at least partway.
[This reached the "Device Setup" stage, and then it would not progress past a "Light Linkage" page, as when I pressed save it would merely go back to the previous page... but at the previous page I could get the device QR code]​
Step 5: Switching to the iPhone, finished adding the device using the QR Code from the iPad.
Step 6: Under "Device Settings" was able to select the chime type and set to mechanical (was set to "No Chime). Viola... at this point the doorbell is working, and also is sending notifications back to the app
Step 7: Connected via BCT and saved configuration file
Step 8: Took full packet capture of bootup and chime press, saw DNS call to alarm.use.s3.amazonaws.com as others have reported, followed by a port 443 connection.
[Confirmed ONVIF unavailable as expected, also noted inability to change admin password or add additional users from BCT]​
Step 9: Updated to firmware 200321 from within the EZVIZ app [Note that this is EZVIZ 200321, not Hikvision 200321 as there is an EZVIZ logo superimposed on the ONVIF video stream]
Step 10: Added "viewer" user using BCT, confirmed ability to now connect via ONVIF, and adjust motion detection zones. Note that the secondary video stream must have it's resolution set to CIF before the main stream can be edited as the 200220 firmware used resolution not supported under 200321 apparently and so you'll get an error when you try to save.
Step 11: Confirmed chime still working, and that EZVIZ app still showed the option to set mechanical/electronic/none.
[Note somewhere in here my viewer account permissions disappeared and so my NVR was suddenly unable to start recording... but since it was a valid user/pass, the "test" feature still reported success... this took longer to figure out than it should have... but adding the permissions in again via BCT worked fine an all is well again on the ONVIF front]​
Step 12: Add firewall rule blocking all outbound traffic except port 443 to the applicable amazon regions
Step 13: Changed encryption password in EZVIZ app.
Step 14: Saved Config File.

So now I have a working chime, working ONVIF recording on the local LAN with camera-driven motion detection zones for event recording, and doorbell presses cause notifications in the phone and I can tap a button or two and see the doorbell video/audio. The only thing that won't work is the ability to see video after button presses when my phone is not on the local LAN, but that's my preference. Also all the "dial home" packets are being blocked as confirmed by the firewall.

I can definitely redirect the cam's port 443 traffic to a local IP using (outbound) port forwarding, which would then make local notifications outside the EZVIZ app environment easier, but then the app notifications break. I did see in the packet capture a reference to MQTT, so I would suspect that's the protocol in use for the doorbell.
Sorry guys, with the Holiday, I will be adding both of your writeups in the 101 soon...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Fixed 101, we were waiting for more to try the new 200904 before we posted it. Thanks...

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the LaView ONE Haol (LV-PDB1630-U). Is there a way to disable the beeping sound that the doorbell generates every time someone walks past it? Our lake house entry door is on the side of the house along a decked walkway. That walkway continues past the door to the back deck and stairs that lead to the lake, so there is a lot of traffic past that doorbell. It is annoying to us and our visitors. I don't mind the phone notifications, I just don't want that audible beep from the doorbell itself. Is there any way to disable it?

Thanks!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the LaView ONE Haol (LV-PDB1630-U). Is there a way to disable the beeping sound that the doorbell generates every time someone walks past it? Our lake house entry door is on the side of the house along a decked walkway. That walkway continues past the door to the back deck and stairs that lead to the lake, so there is a lot of traffic past that doorbell. It is annoying to us and our visitors. I don't mind the phone notifications, I just don't want that audible beep from the doorbell itself. Is there any way to disable it?

Thanks!
It is a Mute option in your phone App. Look under Alarm Notification/Select the Mode/Silent Mode, depending on which App you are using.

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is a Mute option in your phone App. Look under Alarm Notification/Select the Mode/Silent Mode, depending on which App you are using.
When I look at the available settings (many of which have no explanation as to their meaning and I can't find an online manual that describes them), I see (ignoring the things that obviously don't apply, like encryption, storage and time settings):

Answer Doorbell Call (can be "on" or "off")
Chime Type
Audio (can be "on" or "off")
Alarm Notification; when this is "Enable", then these are available in a sub-menu:
Notification Schedule​
Set Notification Schedule​
Select the mode​
Alarm area setting​

Nothing is obvious to me for turning off that device's "chirp" when someone walks past the doorbell. I still want the phone notification, just not that chirp at the door.

Thanks, Craig

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I look at the available settings (many of which have no explanation as to their meaning and I can't find an online manual that describes them), I see (ignoring the things that obviously don't apply, like encryption, storage and time settings):

Answer Doorbell Call (can be "on" or "off")
Chime Type
Audio (can be "on" or "off")
Alarm Notification; when this is "Enable", then these are available in a sub-menu:
Notification Schedule​
Set Notification Schedule​
Select the mode​
Alarm area setting​

Nothing is obvious to me for turning off that device's "chirp" when someone walks past the doorbell. I still want the phone notification, just not that chirp at the door.

Thanks, Craig
Hit/Click/Tap on Select the mode, you will see three options, Intense, Soft and Silent,

I Silent (Mute) mine too though I have a family member who likes his loud :)

You have to keep in mind the Coders writing these Apps are from China...So I am with you "Select the mode"??? LOL, what mode? :)

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nelly's has their DB on Sale:

1606587353493.png

Erik80

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I have the Ezviz DB1 set up, running the 200220 firmware. When I try to link my Ezviz account in Google Assistant I get the confirmation ”account linked” in the last step but the cam does not show up under my units in GH. Have tried re-syncing devices in GA, removed the Ezviz linking on Google web and tried again but no luck.

Any ideas on on how to fix this? Many thanks

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. I have the Ezviz DB1 set up, running the 200220 firmware. When I try to link my Ezviz account in Google Assistant I get the confirmation ”account linked” in the last step but the cam does not show up under my units in GH. Have tried re-syncing devices in GA, removed the Ezviz linking on Google web and tried again but no luck.

Any ideas on on how to fix this? Many thanks
Turn off Image Encryption in your App.