New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Martin Paul Sr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm actually OK with that view as well, and plan to keep using it because it'c consistent with the brand.
Maybe it's just EZVIZ that disables ONVIF, I never tried the Hikvision version.
They are the ones that told me it's for security reasons.
The EZVIZ cams I'm using also don't have HTTP, I think that's going away for most / all new consumer WiFi cams.
But between the EZVIZ Studio software (Windows) and the mobile app, lots of direct camera config options are possible.

Martin Paul Sr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You may already know, Hikvison has a tool call SADP for Windows which give you that kind of config access to cameras directly.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm actually OK with that view as well, and plan to keep using it because it'c consistent with the brand.
Maybe it's just EZVIZ that disables ONVIF, I never tried the Hikvision version.
They are the ones that told me it's for security reasons.
The EZVIZ cams I'm using also don't have HTTP, I think that's going away for most / all new consumer WiFi cams.
But between the EZVIZ Studio software (Windows) and the mobile app, lots of direct camera config options are possible.
So it may be security but we think it is less support, with ONVIF support you will have many more Tech support calls on how to configure ONVIF on this NVR or that NAS, etc. Being more consumer based, EZVIZ we assume wants to avoid this, but we may be wrong. Presently the LaView, Nelly's and Hik DS-HD1 support ONVIF with their firmware.

With Hik's Batch Config. Tool or iVMS-4200 software we have been able to try the different firmware from each rebrand on other rebrand DBs. Presently many like the Hik firmware on their DB.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here testing the PIR event trigger stuff adjustments via the Batch Configuration program.

I shut it off this morning and indeed I am not getting any ONVIF motion detection events. For these events I utilize an ONVIF to MQTT application.

Just a little stuff that you can do with MQTT / ONVIF and the Hikvision DB.

I use Homeseer mcsMQTT and or Home Assistant MQTT and currently testing a Paho MQTT Python script running on a micro OpenWRT router.

This script triggers an ESP01 relay configured with MQTT which is connected to the alarm panel zone.

Martin Paul Sr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So it may be security but we think it is less support, with ONVIF support you will have many more Tech support calls on how to configure ONVIF on this NVR or that NAS, etc. Being more consumer based, EZVIZ we assume wants to avoid this, but we may be wrong. Presently the LaView, Nelly's and Hik DS-HD1 support ONVIF with their firmware.

With Hik's Batch Config. Tool or iVMS-4200 software we have been able to try the different firmware from each rebrand on other rebrand DBs. Presently many like the Hik firmware on their DB.
You're probably right about the real reason for EZVIZ not supporting ONVIF

I once bricked an RCA doorbell trying to put Hik firmware on it using those tools, but I don't doubt may/most rebranded Hik products will accept it.
I was able to use EZVIZ Studio for WIndows (which has a version of SADP) to list the camera in the account and to modify settings in an RCA floodlight, including removing the RCA logo from the images.
I should try putting Hik firmware on the EZVIZ stuff to enable ONVIF.
Thanks for putting that idea in my head.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're probably right about the real reason for EZVIZ not supporting ONVIF

I once bricked an RCA doorbell trying to put Hik firmware on it using those tools, but I don't doubt may/most rebranded Hik products will accept it.
I was able to use EZVIZ Studio for WIndows (which has a version of SADP) to list the camera in the account and to modify settings in an RCA floodlight, including removing the RCA logo from the images.
I should try putting Hik firmware on the EZVIZ stuff to enable ONVIF.
Thanks for putting that idea in my head.
In our 101 we have a step-by-step in do so. Also, thanks to this Thread, we have had a few guys post how they unbricked their DB, seems to work because several others have had success unbricking...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here testing the PIR event trigger stuff adjustments via the Batch Configuration program.

I shut it off this morning and indeed I am not getting any ONVIF motion detection events. For these events I utilize an ONVIF to MQTT application.

Just a little stuff that you can do with MQTT / ONVIF and the Hikvision DB.

I use Homeseer mcsMQTT and or Home Assistant MQTT and currently testing a Paho MQTT Python script running on a micro OpenWRT router.

This script triggers an ESP01 relay configured with MQTT which is connected to the alarm panel zone.
My week is getting away from me but I will get with you soon Pete so we can add the Home Auto section in the 101...

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did a test yesterday using Batch Configuration and the event triggers which I think are related to the hard wired PIR. I am currently using the ONVIF to MQTT application to hard trigger PIR motion events. Yesterday I was getting a bunch and noticed that the entire screen was configured in Batch Configuration. Think this happened when the DB reset the other day.

For testing purposes I shut off the event triggers and didn't get any triggers with the ONVIF to MQTT application.

Today tweaking down the area shown in Batch Configuration to see how that works.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ugh I had to do another hard reset and reconfigure again this week on my Laview. Had to do this some months back too.

Might end up wiring a switch into my Doorbell wire if this keeps it up!

dpw_

n3wb
Reaction score
well, that was fun!

I needed to make the old wireless door bell chime ring when the DB1 was pushed. well documented lack of ONVIF for the doorbell, so i used the DNS sniffer method on my Raspberry pi Home Assistant hub.
1. install dnsmasq
2. configure it to log to /tmp/dnsmasq.log
3. run this:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
while inotifywait /tmp/dnsmasq.log
do

alarm=$(tail -n300 /tmp/dnsmasq.log | grep "] alarm.eu" | tail -1)
  echo "$alarm"

belltime=$(echo $alarm | cut -f-3 -d " ")
  echo "$belltime"
  date +"%s"

if [ $(expr $(date +"%s") - $(date --date="$belltime" +"%s")) -lt 5 ] ;
  then
    mosquitto_pub -u user -P "pass" -t "doorbell/ring" -m "$(date)" -i "12636472"
    echo "ding"

fi

done
4. a wemos d1 mini with a RF433 subscribed to the MQTT topic, ready to pretend to be the original doorbell button.
5. Force the DB1 to use the raspberry pi as the DNS server

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ugh I had to do another hard reset and reconfigure again this week on my Laview. Had to do this some months back too.

What happens when you lose connectivity?

Here twice now since installation my DB resets itself to AP mode but keeps most of the configuration. I still cannot figure out why it is doing this.

To make it a client again do the following:

Windows computer - Here utilize Windows 2016 on a Lenova Tiny with WLAN and Gb port.

1 - enable wireless
2 - connect your windows client to the DB AP (google login / password here)
3 - load up batch configuration and add the IP of the DB softap_ABCDEF Serial No. and verification code are listed
4 - change the wireless settings from adhoc mode to manage mode and configure your SSID / password if it is not already there. Password ==> softap_ABCDEF Serial No. and verification code are listed

Rest of the configuration should be present using Batch Configuration. First time it reset itself it kept the SSID / PW. Second time I had to reconfigure the SSID and PW.

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@dpw_

Very nice DNS script.

What MFG / Firmware do you have on your DB?

Using Batch Configuration here enabled ONVIF on my DB and running ONVIF2MQTT

I am currently using a PAHO-MQTT Python script running on a micro Openwrt router (inside of the alarm panel) which trigger an ESP01 relay with Tasmota firmware on it which hard wire triggers a zone on the alarm panel.

Code:
import paho.mqtt.client as mqtt
MQTTv31 = 3
MQTTv311 = 4
MQTTv5 = 5
message = 'ON'
def on_connect(client,userdata, flags, rc):
    client.subscribe("onvif2mqtt/Doorbell/motion")
    print("rc: " + str(rc))

def on_message(client, userdata, msg):
    global message
    print(msg.topic + " " + str(msg.qos) + " " + str(msg.payload))
    message = msg.payload
    client.publish("Omni/HikVision_PIR/cmnd/POWER",msg.payload);

def on_publish(client, userdata, mid):
    print("mid: " + str(mid))

def on_subscribe(client, userdata, mid, granted_qos):
    print("Subscribed: " + str(mid) + " " + str(granted_qos))

def on_log(client, userdata, level, buf):
    print(buf)

mqttc = mqtt.Client("petetest",protocol=MQTTv311)
# Assign event callbacks
mqttc.on_message = on_message
mqttc.on_connect = on_connect
mqttc.on_publish = on_publish
mqttc.on_subscribe = on_subscribe
# Connect
mqttc.connect("192.168.244.150", 1883)
#mqttc.connect("192.168.1.41", 1883)

# Continue the network loop
mqttc.loop_forever()
/etc/rc.local running on OpenWRT microrouter (expanded to 32Gb for installation of Python).

# Put your custom commands here that should be executed once
# the system init finished. By default this file does nothing.

/usr/bin/nohup python3 /overlay/work/DB-MQTT-3.py &

exit 0

The Omni/HikVision_PIR/cmnd/POWER ==> Tasmota ESP01 relay.

hikvision PIR.jpg

Before utilizing the script I was triggering the ESP01 relay with Home Assistant MQTT and or Homeseer (mcsMQTT) automation events that used MQTT. The PIR event also triggers Alexa TTS utilize Alexa Media Player for HA.

Last edited:

markfoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the DS-HD1 installed and it seemed to be working well until I created another account on my wife's phone and shared the camera with her account.
Now, sometimes there's a HUGE delay before it ring on our phones when someone press the button. Sometimes. it takes a couple of minutes before any of our phone picks it.
The PIR notification is still quite prompt though - only the call is delayed.
Did I mess up with some settings?

dpw_

n3wb
Reaction score
@dpw_

Very nice DNS script.

What MFG / Firmware do you have on your DB?

Using Batch Configuration here enabled ONVIF on my DB and running ONVIF2MQTT

I am currently using a PAHO-MQTT Python script running on a micro Openwrt router (inside of the alarm panel) which trigger an ESP01 relay with Tasmota firmware on it which hard wire triggers a zone on the alarm panel.

Code:
import paho.mqtt.client as mqtt
MQTTv31 = 3
MQTTv311 = 4
MQTTv5 = 5
message = 'ON'
def on_connect(client,userdata, flags, rc):
    client.subscribe("onvif2mqtt/Doorbell/motion")
    print("rc: " + str(rc))

def on_message(client, userdata, msg):
    global message
    print(msg.topic + " " + str(msg.qos) + " " + str(msg.payload))
    message = msg.payload
    client.publish("Omni/HikVision_PIR/cmnd/POWER",msg.payload);

def on_publish(client, userdata, mid):
    print("mid: " + str(mid))

def on_subscribe(client, userdata, mid, granted_qos):
    print("Subscribed: " + str(mid) + " " + str(granted_qos))

def on_log(client, userdata, level, buf):
    print(buf)

mqttc = mqtt.Client("petetest",protocol=MQTTv311)
# Assign event callbacks
mqttc.on_message = on_message
mqttc.on_connect = on_connect
mqttc.on_publish = on_publish
mqttc.on_subscribe = on_subscribe
# Connect
mqttc.connect("192.168.244.150", 1883)
#mqttc.connect("192.168.1.41", 1883)

# Continue the network loop
mqttc.loop_forever()
/etc/rc.local running on OpenWRT microrouter (expanded to 32Gb for installation of Python).

# Put your custom commands here that should be executed once
# the system init finished. By default this file does nothing.

/usr/bin/nohup python3 /overlay/work/DB-MQTT-3.py &

exit 0

The Omni/HikVision_PIR/cmnd/POWER ==> Tasmota ESP01 relay.

View attachment 86962

Before utilizing the script I was triggering the ESP01 relay with Home Assistant MQTT and or Homeseer (mcsMQTT) automation events that used MQTT. The PIR event also triggers Alexa TTS utilize Alexa Media Player for HA.
Housefull of tasmosa switches too! Those mini lightswitch sonoff things are amazing

Running the latest hikvision firmware on an ezviz DB1.

Random doorbell ring at 0545 today, so not Mr Popular.... Will update script to ignore that...

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here running with HikVision FW build 200321 and have disabled the DB from the cloud apps. Using Batch Configuration it was easy to enable ONVIF. IE: just highlight the DB and click on the ONVIF on the top of the screen. It will ask you to login in with your admin password and on the botton right of the Batch configuration screen it should state saved.

For the chime connection use a current sensor and Elk 960 debounce board. For the PIR use an ONVIF to MQTT.

I do get false positives on the PIR which I keep tweaking. (it is a bit low on the WAF - wife acceptance factor).

Kallb123

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm currently using the software version of button detection, which is to use an old android phone running the EZVIZ app and then Tasker pings out to my NodeRed/HomeAssistant whenever the Ezviz app opens! I don't have a chime, so the current sensor would be a bit more work. Software solution is semi-reliable, but still need to keep an eye on normal mobiles for doorbell notification really.
Software version requires Internet connectivity for the app to function.

dpw_

n3wb
Reaction score
what happens when the button is pressed with the supply power? is it shorted then? I am running the doorbell from the aux power out from my alarm panel, with a fuse but without the small 'power unit' and don't want to fry the alarm system

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Might end up wiring a switch into my Doorbell wire if this keeps it up!
Depending on how your transformer is plugged in, some have used smart plugs to repower/reboot DB...

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread is still alive. One thing I've noticed the past few months, but just now getting around to trying to troubleshoot is I'm getting a ton of "no signals" from BlueIris. I can only assume it may be the camera losing WIFI signal? I saw in the 101 that I should allow ICMP in firewall settings. I'm running DD-WRT on my router and the only thing I see is "Block Anonymous WAN Requests (ping) " was checked. I unchecked it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference with the connection. I'm not even sure if that is the same as the ICMP setting that is referenced. I'm on my 2.4 GHz network. Any other suggestions to make the signal more stable?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the DS-HD1 installed and it seemed to be working well until I created another account on my wife's phone and shared the camera with her account.
Now, sometimes there's a HUGE delay before it ring on our phones when someone press the button. Sometimes. it takes a couple of minutes before any of our phone picks it.
The PIR notification is still quite prompt though - only the call is delayed.
Did I mess up with some settings?
So it may be a coincidence for the second account, we have found there are times the call feature works and other times it doesn't. There was a time on this Thread when several here would report it and we can to the conclusion it was a random cloud issue.

My wife and I share the same account, both phones ring at the same time...