New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Only problem I remember anyone having with a RCA is upgrading to Nelly's firmware, several got bricked DBs. Going back to RCA's firmware, I would assume should not be any problem.
so once i get this RCA back on line, and i can see it within the ivs4200 app, i can just do the firmware update and load the DAV file.

this will put it back to the same user and password that came with the OG qr code?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you already get your DB1C?

first one was dead out of the box (boot loop).

dealing with EZviz was painful. just got it shipped to me, still in the box. not sure if i should just install it, or sell it. there RMA process was like talking to a 3 year old that had never installed one of these in the past.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so once i get this RCA back on line, and i can see it within the ivs4200 app, i can just do the firmware update and load the DAV file.

this will put it back to the same user and password that came with the OG qr code?
So to my understanding, if you change firmware your App should reflect/list the change, mine did each time I changed my LaView to EZVIZ and back to LaView. The App should still have the same Login so no change there.
Once you have the RCA firmware running, I would go to the App, not sure which App you are using, and remove the Doorbell, then once that is done I would remove/delete your User account, this way the Doorbell is no longer associated to the Doorbell in the cloud and the new owner should be able to create/register the DB themselves as if the bought it new. In theory this should work and this is what Nelly's suggested when I chatted with them back 12/2020.

I know my family member sold their house but can't say if this worked, this is how he did it, he has been contacted by his Realtor or the new owners...But who knows if the got it working. You could try it yourself by creating a dummy account then doing the same process over again.

I will say Pete_c bought a used DB on eBay and it was still registered to someone else and EZVIZ (I Believe) would not release the account so I believe he sent back the DB. I think that is how it happened, maybe he will chime in.

HTH

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
So to my understanding, if you change firmware your App should reflect/list the change, mine did each time I changed my LaView to EZVIZ and back to LaView. The App should still have the same Login so no change there.
Once you have the RCA firmware running, I would go to the App, not sure which App you are using, and remove the Doorbell, then once that is done I would remove/delete your User account, this way the Doorbell is no longer associated to the Doorbell in the cloud and the new owner should be able to create/register the DB themselves as if the bought it new. In theory this should work and this is what Nelly's suggested when I chatted with them back 12/2020.

I know my family member sold their house but can't say if this worked, this is how he did it, he has been contacted by his Realtor or the new owners...But who knows if the got it working. You could try it yourself by creating a dummy account then doing the same process over again.

I will say Pete_c bought a used DB on eBay and it was still registered to someone else and EZVIZ (I Believe) would not release the account so I believe he sent back the DB. I think that is how it happened, maybe he will chime in.

HTH
yea, i made sure before i uninstalled it I got rid of my credentials and deleted it from my app. but when i try to load re-add it to test, it wont go though as it has tjer other laview credentials and its looking for the RCA ssid.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
first one was dead out of the box (boot loop).

dealing with EZviz was painful. just got it shipped to me, still in the box. not sure if i should just install it, or sell it. there RMA process was like talking to a 3 year old that had never installed one of these in the past.
I have thought of going for a DB1C, kinda a ghost town around here now :), but for me the Fisheye lens works better for our small porch, plus the AI has not gotten great reviews on the DB1C, and my PIR is spot on, not missing any movement for me. BI helps though too, and I could just let BI detect the motion zone so the AI on the DB1C is no big deal breaker for me. There is a lot of bragging how much better the video is on the DB1C and these are from previous DB1 owners. Maybe one day, if this LaView dies on me, I will probably go with a DB1C or whatever newer DB is out by Hik or Dahua at that time. Doubt I will go with any other brand, loving not having to pay for a cloud service.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yea, i made sure before i uninstalled it I got rid of my credentials and deleted it from my app. but when i try to load re-add it to test, it wont go though as it has tjer other laview credentials and its looking for the RCA ssid.
Hmm you may need to load the RCA firmware from a SD-Card then. I know there are several writeups/post in our 101 that deal with the SSID that change while in AP (Access Point) mode. We have not heard from Alex in awhile, Pete definitely understands the AP mode much better than I, I will PM him and get him to respond with his advice for you...

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here sent the RCA DB back when I purchased it because as mentioned above it was used and already registered.

That said it is easy to get into the doorbell when it is in AP mode. I have outlined methodology above.

My Nelly DB with Hikvision firmware has reset itself a few times now.

Once connected to DB you can install the orginal RCA firmware.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IE: SSID = what you see with your WiFi configuration and softap_XXXXXX (Verification Code)..you will see the soft AP SSID name when you scan your wifi network.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
you guys are great!!!

fully reset back to factory, and probably going up for sale. (as long as my new db1c works)

HawksPops

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Im a long time lurker on this post, eagerly waiting to see someone pop up with a solution to intercept the doorbell push in openhab.
Then i can use my google home speakers to play a sound when the doorbell has been pressed.
I just wanted to share my current workaround of doing this.

I have openhab running on a windows server. I installed the DNS services on my server en changed the DNS address on my Ezviz DB1 trough Batch Configuration to point to my DNS server.
I Enabled logging on my DNS server and it writes the log to c:\temp\log.txt I then have a powershell looping trough the log sending a http request to my openhab.
Here is an example of the DNS request that is been made everytime the doorbell is pressed:
12/11/2020 11:01:58 0C04 PACKET 00000231F06CBFF0 UDP Rcv 192.168.1.37 0030 Q [0001 D NOERROR] A (5)alarm(2)eu(2)s3(9)amazonaws(3)com(0)
Here is an example of how to use this trough powershell:

Get-Content -Path C:\temp\log.txt -Tail 3 -Wait | where { $_ -match "alarm" } |
ForEach-Object{
Write-Host "DOORBELL PRESSED"
}

In the example above the everytime a dns request in the log containts the word alarm, powershell will echo Doorbell Pressed.
You can switch this to a http request answering to a virtual switch in openhab. I hope to find a better solution in the future.
Has there been any easier methods. I am trying to capture this in Home Assistant

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has there been any easier methods. I am trying to capture this in Home Assistant
I think home assistant added an ezviz integration, so if you use that app, it might work. Doorbell is a separate protocol. Before mine died, I lowered the sensitivity on the PIR in the app and used the onvif integration in Home Assistant to notify me. Worked fine for me, but my firmware had onvif.

obscure

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll hope someone can help me out here.
Just bought a ezviz db1 doorbell. Configuration was easy and even my mechical doorbell works great. The db1 and doorbell are behind a 8v relais.
But what happens is that during nighttime approximately around 2am the doorbell stops responding. The app on my iphone receives a motion detection. The imaged that was captured does show some som vertical scrambled lines, and thats just it.
I've to disconnect the doorbell for at least 30 minutes. After reconnecting the doorbell starts responding immediately until it becomes around 2am local time.
i've tried to flash different firmware's output is all the same. Tried to adjust timezone to see if that show a different output but no i still happens arround the same local time.
Tried to reset and start al over but still the same problem.
Anyone any ideas?

pczone-uk

n3wb
Reaction score
Great write up @David L ! Thanks for taking your time compiling great info into one post! One thing I'd like to correct is that EZVIZ DB1's faceplate comes in white, copper, and black just like Nelly's as well as the wedge mounting plates.
Hi anyone has issues with NSC DB2 mine after every restart of router to app shows the camera offline, but its connected to wifi,
Every occasion need to reset the DB2 to able to use the app .
Anyone has suggestion will be apreciated

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@obscure

Here using a Nelly DB2 DB with Hikvision Firmware.

I am doing ONVIF, RTSP and JPG capturing from it ==> Blue Iris, Zoneminder, Home Assistant and Leviton OmniTouch touch screen and Homeseer Touchscreens.

I have a current sensor on the power leads to the DB which is used to trigger a zone on the alarm when button is pushed.

The power draw here has changed during odd times at 3 AM or 4 AM sometimes randomly. This is either from the camera PIR or light sensor.

I doubt very much that it is a house power / voltage program.

I've been tweaking it down as it woke up wife a few days ago at 3-4 AM. Going to tweak it again.

A few months back disabled the Hikvision ONVIF to MQTT plugin as I think that was resetting the camera making it go to AP mode.

Not sure if some odd power draw is occurring

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@pczone-uk

Thinking my camera was resetting due to a ONVIF to MQTT plugin that I was running. It has not reset since I have disabled the app.

It did not totally reset rather it would go to AP mode and save the rest of the settings. I would get in to the camera VIA AP mode and reconfigure it for client mode and it would would. Since disconnecting the ONVIF to MQTT app it has not reset. I have been using the Home Assistant ONVIF plugin and it works well now.

Base WAP here is a POE Ruckus.

Wireless DB video going to Zoneminder, Blue Iris, Homeseer and Home Asistant. Doorbell button circuits are connected to my Leviton Omni Pro 2 panel. PIR motion piece was connected to a Tasmota ESP01 relay for triggers. The PIR motion was too sensitive though for use.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Every occasion need to reset the DB2 to able to use the app .

Rather than use the app to reconfigure the DB check to see if the DB is in AP mode. Scan your wireless network for the DB WAP mode. I use a Lenova Tiny here for a W2016 server. It has a Gb port and a WLAN card. I enable the WLAN and scan the network. I then attach to the AP mode and using batch configuration reconfigure the doorbell for wireless client mode. No other settings are ever changed. All of my passwords stay the same. Personally thinking this was caused by my ONVIF to MQTT plugin which has now been disabled.

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a quickie drawing of my DB. Also using Monocle Monocam for Amazon Alexa Show connectivity. Its a tad slow. IE: automation pops up doorbell video automagically or I saw "Alexa show me front door"

NellyDB.jpg

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll hope someone can help me out here.
Just bought a ezviz db1 doorbell. Configuration was easy and even my mechical doorbell works great. The db1 and doorbell are behind a 8v relais.
But what happens is that during nighttime approximately around 2am the doorbell stops responding. The app on my iphone receives a motion detection. The imaged that was captured does show some som vertical scrambled lines, and thats just it.
I've to disconnect the doorbell for at least 30 minutes. After reconnecting the doorbell starts responding immediately until it becomes around 2am local time.
i've tried to flash different firmware's output is all the same. Tried to adjust timezone to see if that show a different output but no i still happens arround the same local time.
Tried to reset and start al over but still the same problem.
Anyone any ideas?
Have you checked your router to see if you have anything there that is timed. For this to happen exactly at 2am seems strange. Have you checked your Events via Batch Config. Tool?

1623842891377.png

obscure

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply's. Today it suddenly occurred at day time.
I'll guess you're right and it has something to do with power consumption.
High temperature outside today and the airconditioning is making overtime.

I'll have to see if can make some electrical adjustments. Not sure how jet :-(