New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TechBill I fully understand. How's the picture, the Res. specs look good.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
@TechBill I fully understand. How's the picture, the Res. specs look good.
Looks great!
But ......

Seems to be some issue with remote playback on it own apps ... However the NVR + DMSS playback works fine .. just have to set it to motion triggers since it can't do smart trigger. I think my NVR can do local smart detection on one of the video channel .. I am not sure yet and I am hoping it can do IVS locally on one of it channel and I can just move the doorcam on to that channel and set up IVS then disable doorcam internal motion detect.

I will keep AI person enabled on it own app to alert me the "time" it detect a person then probably use DMSS for playback since it very snappy and fast loading remotely for me

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know the minimum focus distance for these cameras? I'm looking to repurpose for a different project and curious if objects at say 4-5" are in focus.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know the minimum focus distance for these cameras? I'm looking to repurpose for a different project and curious if objects at say 4-5" are in focus.
Not great focus...

At 4 inches:
1650319917388.png

At 5 inches:
1650319988466.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great thanks, might be good enough :)
So this is a snap shot in Blue iris from a 24/7 Recording. I have it set at 100% quality. If you need me to do more test let me know. Like let me know what object you want me to focus on.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also just measured the FOR THE COVERAGE YOU NEED and it is exactly 1/8 inch in size, if that helps...the print below is exactly 1/16 inch in size, I need readers to read it :).

century

n3wb
Reaction score
I just picked up an RCA branded unit. I will be installing a Hikvision NVR along with Hikvision cameras. I figured I should flash the doorbell with Hikvision firmware as well.

I noticed the latest firmware available on Hikvision's site is YS_DS-HD1_EN_NEU_5.2.4_211101

The FAQ lists 200321 as the latest. Is anyone running the above mentioned version? Is there a new best practice on how to flash an RCA unit without bricking it?

Thanks

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up an RCA branded unit. I will be installing a Hikvision NVR along with Hikvision cameras. I figured I should flash the doorbell with Hikvision firmware as well.

I noticed the latest firmware available on Hikvision's site is YS_DS-HD1_EN_NEU_5.2.4_211101

The FAQ lists 200321 as the latest. Is anyone running the above mentioned version? Is there a new best practice on how to flash an RCA unit without bricking it?

Thanks
So question, what are you looking for in the firmware upgrade?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks
Thanks for informing us of the latest firmware for DS-HD1

century

n3wb
Reaction score
So question, what are you looking for in the firmware upgrade?
Simply to make it an "OEM" Hikvision unit, while leaving the door open for future home automation integration.

I plan to use Hikvision branded tools and apps to access the camera. Not sure if EZVIZ has a better app?

Thanks

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Simply to make it an "OEM" Hikvision unit, while leaving the door open for future home automation integration.

I plan to use Hikvision branded tools and apps to access the camera. Not sure if EZVIZ has a better app?

Thanks
Gotcha, so RCA, for whatever reason, has been a bit tricky. There was a time when those with RCAs were bricking using Nelly's firmware, never really figured out why. You can use the Hik tools now with your RCA since it is really a Hik CAM. Two main things the RCA owners wanted in using a different firmware was to remove the RCA Logo display and ONVIF support. I personally have a LaView variant, I use EZVIZ App, I like it now, it has improved a lot. You can chose which App you want.

My point is I would try everything you want to do with your present firmware, if it works I would not risk upgrading unless you want to try to unbrick it, which others here have been successful but you may want to read this first from our 101:

SOLID RED BUTTON LIGHT; = BRICKED!!! (UPDATE: We have a solution to fix bricked DBs, try this by - Skinah or argus) (So Far (as of August 2020) THREE people to date has been able to recover their Doorbell past this point/problem, see usafltg)
LIST of BRICKS:
- COtto1984 (EZVIZ (DB1) Owner upgraded to LaView's firmware); acmonster (RCA (HSDB2A) Owner upgraded to Nelly's firmware); rkulp89 (RCA (HSDB2A) Owner upgraded with Nelly's firmware - Replaced DB with EZVIZ (DB1); elvisthedj (RCA (HSDB2A) Owner upgraded with Nelly's firmware); jrinco11 (RCA (HSDB2A) Owner upgraded with Nelly's firmware); cba123 (EZVIZ (DB1) Owner upgraded to Hikvision's firmware 200321 via EZVIZ's firmware 190304) SUCCESS: cba123

century

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I would be looking to connect it to my Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P NVR and record to the internal hard drive. Would the RCA firmware work for that? I am not sure if ONVIF support is required.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I would be looking to connect it to my Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P NVR and record to the internal hard drive. Would the RCA firmware work for that? I am not sure if ONVIF support is required.
You should be ok. If it were another brand you would probably want ONVIF support.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using this firmware for several months on my RCA. Seems pretty stable but it unfortunately removes the snapshot url.
If you ever need to go back to older firmwares, let me know, I have a collection of them.

century

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using this firmware for several months on my RCA. Seems pretty stable but it unfortunately removes the snapshot url.
Would you be able to share your upgrade process from the original RCA firmware to Hikvision? It seems there is still a high risk of bricking the RCA units. Much appreciated.