New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

travisk

n3wb
Reaction score
Strange, I saw your message earlier then it disappeared...When I first read it I was thinking you have a network issue. Are you referring to the "gateway" as your ATT Router? Can you ping your DB from a wired connection? When you state bringing the DB inside seems to tell me something happened to your WiFi signal from the DB to your Router. Interference from some other device? Not uncommon with WiFi since it is a RF radio. Are you on 2.4 or 5GHz? I have had better luck with 2.4 Just brainstorming here...Hang in there...it worked for 2 years, something changed...just got to find what...

David
yes very strange, pull my hair out strange.

"Are you referring to the "gateway" as your ATT Router?" Yes
"Can you ping your DB from a wired connection?" Yes
"Interference from some other device?" Definitely a possibility... However how am I able to connect to the rtsp stream with vlc on my laptop or phone connected to the network wirelessly but not from my but not from my wired pc or wired laptop?
"Are you on 2.4 or 5GHz?" 2.4 but also tried 5ghz with the same results but with less signal strength. 4 outa 5 bars using 2.4, and 2 outa 5 bars using the 5ghz network.

I can get it to work 100% temporarily outside when i disconnect/reconnect it and leave it hanging, swear to god when mount it and tighten it quits being able to stream to wired devices. Makes no sense to me.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes very strange, pull my hair out strange.

"Are you referring to the "gateway" as your ATT Router?" Yes
"Can you ping your DB from a wired connection?" Yes
"Interference from some other device?" Definitely a possibility... However how am I able to connect to the rtsp stream with vlc on my laptop or phone connected to the network wirelessly but not from my but not from my wired pc or wired laptop?
"Are you on 2.4 or 5GHz?" 2.4 but also tried 5ghz with the same results but with less signal strength. 4 outa 5 bars using 2.4, and 2 outa 5 bars using the 5ghz network.

I can get it to work 100% temporarily outside when i disconnect/reconnect it and leave it hanging, swear to god when mount it and tighten it quits being able to stream to wired devices. Makes no sense to me.
Both of your DB1s do this? Any Metal siding? Or brick? I know I am pulling straws...

One thing is for sure the WiFi on these DBs are weak. We have all experienced it...I have had my DB for a couple of years too, it has been connected to 3 different Access Points, the worse being a SOHO Router with WiFi. When I went to a pfSense Router, Enterprise Switches and setup a couple of APs I have to say I have great luck with everything, but I don't want to say it too loud :) My recent Access Point is a TP-Link EAP660, which I really like.

Your ATT Router is your only WiFi access point? You mentioned bridging.

travisk

n3wb
Reaction score
Both of your DB1s do this? Any Metal siding? Or brick? I know I am pulling straws...

One thing is for sure the WiFi on these DBs are weak. We have all experienced it...I have had my DB for a couple of years too, it has been connected to 3 different Access Points, the worse being a SOHO Router with WiFi. When I went to a pfSense Router, Enterprise Switches and setup a couple of APs I have to say I have great luck with everything, but I don't want to say it too loud :) My recent Access Point is a TP-Link EAP660, which I really like.

Your ATT Router is your only WiFi access point? You mentioned bridging.
"Both of your DB1s do this? " Yes
"Any Metal siding? Or brick?" Stone, baseplate anchored into the mortar.
"Your ATT Router is your only WiFi access point? You mentioned bridging." I probably misspoke or used a networking term when i wasn't really trying to. I assume there is something in the router that "bridges" the wireless and wired network together so they can interact with each other. I have a 24 port network switch attached to the gateway/router. But have tried attaching the pc and laptop directly to the att router/gateway (wired) and then tried accessing the rtsp stream with no luck.

I too assume it's a wifi signal issue between the db and the router. But my mind wont let me accept because of the fact that I can connect to the rtsp stream with a wirelessly connected device, ie laptop or phone.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"Both of your DB1s do this? " Yes
"Any Metal siding? Or brick?" Stone, baseplate anchored into the mortar.
"Your ATT Router is your only WiFi access point? You mentioned bridging." I probably misspoke or used a networking term when i wasn't really trying to. I assume there is something in the router that "bridges" the wireless and wired network together so they can interact with each other. I have a 24 port network switch attached to the gateway/router. But have tried attaching the pc and laptop directly to the att router/gateway (wired) and then tried accessing the rtsp stream with no luck.

I too assume it's a wifi signal issue between the db and the router. But my mind wont let me accept because of the fact that I can connect to the rtsp stream with a wirelessly connected device, ie laptop or phone.
@pete_c is our Network Expert here. I will call him later today and have him brainstorm with any ideas. Do you have access to your ATT Router, in the sense of opening/closing ports?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just a quickie note here relating to my DB1 and occasional reset.

1 - Original Nelly DB1 with Hikvision firmware (3.0.2.3) NOTE: do not upgrade Batch Configuration program.
2 - Hikvision firmware
Firmware Version: 5.2.4 build 200321
Encoding Version: V7.0 build 615360000
3 - edited admin password. added user Pete as a second admin
4 - Using POE Ruckus AP at 2.4Ghz

I have had to reconfigure the DB1 a couple of times this past year.

This last time I had to reconfigure the Android app / DB1 so it so a manual chime.

I have Windows 2016 installed on a Lenova Tiny M93A. This tiny has a WLAN and Gb LAN connection. Wireless AP is a Ruckus located in the middle of the main floor in a two story home.

When the DB1 resets itself it goes to AP mode the DB1 mostly saves the rest of the configuration.

I enable the WLAN on the Lenova Tiny M93A. I see the DB1 in AP mode. I connect to the DB1 AP and reconfigure the Wireless to connect to home WAP using Batch Configuration on the W2016 server. I reset the DB1 WLAN configuration and reboot it via Batch Configuration. All of the rest of the settings remain in place.

This last time I lost the chime settings on the DB1 so had to install the APP on the Android phone. In the app I configured the DB1 to connect to an analog chime and I was good to go.

I am using suggested proxy these days for connectivity of the DB1 stream to:

1 - Zoneminder
2 - Blue Iris
3 - Kodi (did an auto pop up screen for doorbell - irritating so disabled for time bean)
4 - Home Assistant
5 - HomeSeer
6 - Android App (occassionally used to reset chime functions).
7 - Leviton OmniPro Touch screens
8 - Homeseer Touch screens
9 - used ONVIF to MQTT for motion for a bit using python scripts on one OpenWRT router and an ESP01 connected to the alarm panel
10 - switched over to using a Tasmota 433Mhz hub and wireless outdoor 433Mhz PIR which works much better for me.
11 - Alexa devices utilize the Monocam proxy to the DB1. Running scripts via the Home Assistant Media Player plugin. IE: pop ups on Alexa when someone rings the doorbell.

Mostly WAN access to DB1 is via VPN tunnel to home.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Pete, when you get a chance, check out travisk issue, what do you think?

If his DB1 is unmounted it works, he has tried a second DB1, same thing...

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well a quick look I would personally use a proxy first then a better WAP.

Just not understanding why BI or vlc on my pc wont work when I can connect to the rtsp stream on my wifes chromebook/or my phone only if the devices are connected to the gateway via the wifi network while the db is outside. The only way to get the rtsp stream to any computer with a wired network connection is to bring the db inside.

1 - I have configured a static IP on my DB1. You can also DHCP static assign an IP
2 - use an aux WAP. Any POE WAP is better than the ISP provided combo WAP, Firewall, Swtich router. @DavidL is using TP-Link POE WAPs. I am using Ruckus WAPs. Use multiple dedicated SSIDs here. Mostly the house is wired for Gb everywhere. If available check out the signal strength of the DB inside and outside of your house.
3 - Use ONE proxy only to get to your DB1. Google RTSP proxy. Here using one on Home Assistant.

Here automating the 80 + year old neighbors. For a bit I could get to their XFinity combo box but signals were poor. So I installed a directional wireless repeater to manage their Tasmota WiFi switches and doorbell.

I have used this repeater and a few OpenWRT customized repeaters and they are cheap and work fine and only $27 USD.

BTW AT&T does not let you utilize your own equipment. You can by pass the use of AT&T combo by bridging the interface.

Here with XFinity went a la carte with. Been doing this since the beginning of cable internet

1 - Docis 3.0 cable modem
2 - PFSense Firewall
3 - Ruckus POE WAPs
4 - L2/L3 and POE managed 24 port switches

With Verizon FIOS introduction years ago in house #2 had two networks. The combo Verizon box provided cable network to TVs on one network and bridged one Ethernet port for a second network (PFSense managed). Then Verizon FIOS was given to Frontier and personally I cancelled Frontier and went back to Xfinity.

Recently put a powerline WAP in my daughters detached garage. Works great and very reasonably priced. Here also tested new coaxial MOCA GB transceivers and these work great too. Note that the garage is on a separate sub panel and the powerline WAP works great. I mounted it on the ceiling above the garage door opener.

TP-Link AV600 2-Port Powerline Gigabit Wi-Fi Adapter Kit, 2-Kit (TL-WPA4220 KIT) (Renewed) - $~ 40.00 USD

Moca 2.5 Gb generic adapters found on Ebay pair for $50.

Redid the attic here with the Moca adapter coaxial connection to a 24 port POE switch. I have a "few" RPIs up there doing all sorts of stuff.

(IE: ZWave, Zigbee, SD Radio, Tasmota 433Mhz hub et al). Temps have climbed to 140 F in the summer and below zero in the winter and all has worked fine.

If you purchase a GLiNet travel router with two NIC ports and wireless this would also work because it has OpenWRT build in and a nice GLiNet interface and is tiny.

I would recommend connecting a powerline ethernet adapter next to your AT&T combo box and putting the other side powerline WAP near your DB1 inside of your home. It will plug in to any outlet. I tested first generation Powerline adapters and they were slow. Mine burned up after a couple of months so I stayed away from them until recently.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@travisk

Where in your house is the AT&T combo router / firewall relative to your doorbell's and house? Feet wise.

Are you in a multiple story house or ranch?

Here put my Ruckus POE WAP inside of a closet wall near the ceiling opposite the doorbell chime.

I have installed Ruckus AP's for friends. Both identical set ups in two story homes.

I used the thermostat chase for both homes and mounted the two APs above the thermostat using same chase for POE CatXX cable.

House #2 put the Ruckus on the same wall that the old telephone wires went up to in the Kitchen. I used the old telephone wires for a charging base for the Panasonic DECT phones I have installed.

What model AT&T combo router are you using?

If you use the powerline AP repeater you can use one main unit and two powerline APs using the same SSID you are currently using on your AT&T box.

Last edited:

travisk

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow thanks guys really wasn't expecting all the help. I should have asked earlier. Honesty I gave up last night after 4 nights staying up till the wee hours of the morning messing with it and all day Saturday. I broke down and ordered the Amcrest ad410 and it arrived late afternoon today. It seemingly integrates better with Blueiris. The DB1 was certainly more aesthetically pleasing, the orangish faceplate coincidently matched my front door. And the fish eye camera allowed me a somewhat wider and lower view (im sure this could be alleviated with a custom bracket that I see is available on ebay, hard to do anything about the color of it tho). I don't think I've ever had a piece of tech puzzle me quite like this before. The way it was acting made no sense to me. I could believe it was a signal issue if it weren't for the fact I was able to connect to the stream in other ways just not with a wired device..

jds580s

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an RCA running LaView firmware 190716 which I use with the LaView Halo ONE app on iOS

A few months ago it stopped sending notifications of button pushes to my phone.
Prior to that it had been working well for a couple years.

No settings seem to have changed. Has anyone else run into a similar issue, and if so, any tips on how you resolved it?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an RCA running LaView firmware 190716 which I use with the LaView Halo ONE app on iOS

A few months ago it stopped sending notifications of button pushes to my phone.
Prior to that it had been working well for a couple years.

No settings seem to have changed. Has anyone else run into a similar issue, and if so, any tips on how you resolved it?
Have you checked your phone's permissions? I know that can change with updates...

Reaction score
The software on this is terrible. Has anyone been able to boot Linux? I found several other cameras and camera boards running Linux with FH8830 but all of them are no longer available. Even checked for used items on eBay but no luck. Using FH8833v100 kernel from OpenIPC I don't get very far.

Stock firmware serial log: OpenIPC Linux kernel boot log:

gusman21

n3wb
Reaction score
Have had a ezviz db1 for a little over 2 years now hooked up and working perfectly fine with BlueIRIS until the 2nd of this month. All of a sudden vlc nor BlueIRIS on my windows pc can view the rtsp stream even tho the proprietary ezviz phone and ezviz studio software can view the feed just fine (guessing they dont use the rtsp stream) however the advanced menu isn't accessible via the ezviz studio (asks for password then gives an error about network connection).

Ive been pulling my hair out trying different scenarios trying to get it working again. Even called up att and ordered and replaced their wifi gateway and also tried a with a brand new ezviz db1. Still having the same issue.
pc firewalls are off. windows hadn't updated anything days prior. nothing had changed. also tried changing to a different db transformer.

Now here's where its gets weird.
1. I can connect to the rtsp stream using vlc with my wifes chromebook or my phone as long as the laptop/phone is connected to the gateway via the gateways wifi network. However it wont connected if the chromebook/phone is connected to the gateway via a wired connection. (made me think its something to do with the wired connection, or maybe the bridge between the wifi and wired network on the gateway)

untill...

2. If i disconnect the DB and bring it inside and hook it to a 12vdc power adapter, in my office near the gateway i can connect to its rtsp stream with blueIRIS/vlc on my windows pc and everything including the advanced menu works fine.

Just not understanding why BI or vlc on my pc wont work when I can connect to the rtsp stream on my wifes chromebook/or my phone only if the devices are connected to the gateway via the wifi network while the db is outside. The only way to get the rtsp stream to any computer with a wired network connection is to bring the db inside.

Any one have any ideas? I'm about to send this one i just ordered back and throw my old one away. These issues just don't make any sense.
I have the same issue. I am no longer able to view the rtsp stream in VLC from a wired computer. I have an RCA that was using HIK 200321. I thought is may be firmware related so I upgraded to HIK 211101 and issue persists. I think the issues came about at the same time as a Guarding Vision update as now the doorbell press does not push to my phone correctly.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the same issue. I am no longer able to view the rtsp stream in VLC from a wired computer. I have an RCA that was using HIK 200321. I thought is may be firmware related so I upgraded to HIK 211101 and issue persists. I think the issues came about at the same time as a Guarding Vision update as now the doorbell press does not push to my phone correctly.
Do you have ATT?

gusman21

n3wb
Reaction score
Have had a ezviz db1 for a little over 2 years now hooked up and working perfectly fine with BlueIRIS until the 2nd of this month. All of a sudden vlc nor BlueIRIS on my windows pc can view the rtsp stream even tho the proprietary ezviz phone and ezviz studio software can view the feed just fine (guessing they dont use the rtsp stream) however the advanced menu isn't accessible via the ezviz studio (asks for password then gives an error about network connection).

Ive been pulling my hair out trying different scenarios trying to get it working again. Even called up att and ordered and replaced their wifi gateway and also tried a with a brand new ezviz db1. Still having the same issue.
pc firewalls are off. windows hadn't updated anything days prior. nothing had changed. also tried changing to a different db transformer.

Now here's where its gets weird.
1. I can connect to the rtsp stream using vlc with my wifes chromebook or my phone as long as the laptop/phone is connected to the gateway via the gateways wifi network. However it wont connected if the chromebook/phone is connected to the gateway via a wired connection. (made me think its something to do with the wired connection, or maybe the bridge between the wifi and wired network on the gateway)

untill...

2. If i disconnect the DB and bring it inside and hook it to a 12vdc power adapter, in my office near the gateway i can connect to its rtsp stream with blueIRIS/vlc on my windows pc and everything including the advanced menu works fine.

Any one have any ideas? I'm about to send this one i just ordered back and throw my old one away. These issues just don't make any sense.
I have the same issue. I am no longer able to view the rtsp stream in VLC from a wired computer.
Do you have ATT?
No. Verizon. MikroTik router, unifi switches and wifi.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just checked mine through my wired network. Also Blue Iris has been working fine too. This is puzzling, why just the wired network? Does not make sense...Not sure what we are missing here...

I have a LaView DB running LaView's firmware...Comcast is my ISP, using a pfSense Router with TP-Link Enterprise L2/L3 switches
1661208102541.png

1661207905557.png
1661207743625.png

gusman21

n3wb
Reaction score
Just checked mine through my wired network. Also Blue Iris has been working fine too. This is puzzling, why just the wired network? Does not make sense...Not sure what we are missing here...

I have a LaView DB running LaView's firmware...Comcast is my ISP, using a pfSense Router with TP-Link Enterprise L2/L3 switches
View attachment 137565

View attachment 137564
View attachment 137563
I think my issues is with the new debian/ubuntu not including liblivemedia (i use mint) and I have not used the rtsp since i upgraded.
Same VM. Different Media. I think I'm good.Screenshot from 2022-08-23 10-43-52.png
Screenshot from 2022-08-23 10-49-50.png

gusman21

n3wb
Reaction score