New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recently found a few release articles and videos by Reolink on their new POE Doorbell Camera. Per comments by Reolink it's ONVIF and RTSP compliant. Although I've been running a YooSee SD-M5 POE doorbell somewhat successfully for several years now I check back here from time to time to see if anything more current has hit the market. I keep hoping something better will come along providing more function and/or control. It looks like these units are finally shipping and this may be a winner based on several glowing Youtube reviews I've seen .

NOTE: Although the thread title refers to the POE Version Reolink also offers a WIFI version. The excitement over the POE version is because the market is already flooded with WIFI doorbells (thanks to Ring) with very few good POE doorbells capable of working with Blue Iris, Home Automation, third party NVR/DVR's. ouncement is the fact that it is POE!
reolink.jpg
Video Resolution: 2K
Audio: Two-way audio with noise cancellation.
Detection: Motion detection + AI detection
Storage: Micro SD card or Reolink Cloud or Reolink NVR.
Wi-Fi: 2.4GHz/5GHz
Smart Home: works with Google Assistant /Alexa
Support third-party software

(POE Specifications) >
1683466190603.png

NOTE: Also available in a WIFI version)

(WiFi Specifications) > 1683466470809.png

For a "Deep Dive" In-Depth Review of the Reolink Doorbell check this redirect link
____
UPDATES - NEWS - TIPS:

I purchased a Reolink DB April 2023 after reading a lot of decent feedback from the early adopters. Got mine working on a Lorex NVR after first completing the initial doorbell set up using a POE Injector connected to my network router and following the first time setup instructions from David L linked below.

If you're new to this forum thread and looking for tips and/or assistance in setting your new Reolink Door Bell... and not attached to Reolink NVR... then be sure to check out SETTING UP REOLINK DOORBELL FOR FIRST TIME posted by IPCT Contributor David L

If you're looking for support or guidance on the WiFI version check out threads #591 and the reply from David L that follows #592 .
____
FIRMWARE:

Reolink will "occasionally" post a firmware updates but they also pull them back down for some unknown reason. If your looking for information on the various firmware versions to date, please refer to "this thread".
For the actual downloaded firmware packages, refer to threads #608 and #609 PLEASE READ: PERFORM FIRMWARE UPDATES WITH CAUTION! USE THE FIRMWARE PACKAGES AT YOUR OWN RISK - UPGRADING FIRMWARE MAY RENDER YOUR DOORBELL UNUSABLE - REOLINK SUPPORT MAY NOT OFFER SUPPORT OR ASSISTANCE SHOULD YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE USING ANY FIRMWARE FOUND IN THIS FORUM.

1683475053470.png

____

RICH NOTIFICATIONS -(i.e. get push notifications with snapshots - requires Cloud subscription) ... TIP : For those of you not on the Cloud nor using the ReoLink App, David L did a short write up/post on How to get Rich Notifications to your phones from a Doorbell Press or Motion.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just a FWIW, from what I see in their specs, the version you pictured is the "wired" model that supports POE but does not allow for 2.4/5 GHz Wi-Fi connection; that's the $100 model which is ONLY Wi-Fi.

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a FWIW, from what I see in their specs, the version you pictured is the "wired" model that supports POE but does not allow for 2.4/5 GHz Wi-Fi connection; that's the $100 model which is ONLY Wi-Fi.
Correct... I was only interested in the wired version. In watching their videos it appears for the WifI version they use your exisiting 12/16V doorbell wiring to power the unit and a separate WiFi plugs into a wall receptacle somewhere in the house.

FWIW - with so many reports of issues with reolink I would not jump on this ..
Yep... I've read my fair share of Reolink horror stories as well... but since this is "supposedly" a new item as well as being ONVIF and RTSP compliant I figure it can't be any worse than the Yousee I have now.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are some posts on it in the forum but no hands on experience. Buy it from Amazon for easy return. While reolink has been problematic and I despise the company, this doorbell gives us most of what we have wanted at a fraction of the price, onvif Poe. If it works I would use it. Pairing multiple chimes or allowing the Poe version to trigger a standard door chime would be icing on the cake.

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to order one off Amazon due to their easy return policy... but I don't believe they're available on Amazon yet. In fact just yesterday I was on the Reolink website and was able to put one in my shopping cart and went through the checkout steps, stopping short of putting in my payment info (was waiting on more feedback from this forum). I checked today and no longer have the option to purchase... it says "Notify Me". Either their supply can't keep up with the demand or the rollout has been put on hold as they work out some bugs.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been using 2x Reolink Duo 2 POE for a few months without issue on BI5. Had a poor experience before on previous firmware but the wide FOV fit a few use cases inside without a need for night time capture.

I have preordered this doorbell and plan to run a cat5e cable to the doorbell location for this but also use it to still ring the mechanical doorbell.

Have the Lorex 2K wifi doorbell today and it is...meh. Nicer than my previous RCA but lots of room for improvement.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
seems like a great price... but sucks we gotta wait for december now

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Went looking for more information on this doorbell... found the following statement on another website. Not sure how accurate it is, but if factual it may be a game changer for some.

Rich notification - Is a feature available with your Reolink doorbell camera. With this feature, residents will know who is at the door with only a glance at their smartphones. The feature works by sending push notifications with thumbnails to smartphones via the Reolink mobile app. If paired with chimes, real-time alerts can be heard inside the house whenever someone pushes the doorbell. Rich notifications (thumbnail image) is only available with the Wi-Fi version and is only available to Reolink Cloud subscribers

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the main value proposition is POE powered and ONVIF/RTSP compatible, so wifi and cloud subscriptions are a moot point.
we are hoping we will be getting RTSP and poe of course, without having to sign up for a cloud sub. if you an nvr or software, they will be the ones sending out the alerts if all goes well.

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I asked to be notified when they come out, have good hope that I can pull the same type of tricks with this one as with the Yoosee SD-M5.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not the sharpest knife,,,,but I finally see.....everybody wants you on a fucking subscription, or a prescription....or both....:)
Yes .. each company wants to increase their earnings streams by creating lock-ins to customers ..

for me, I really dislike monthly fees .. so I try to reduce them to the minimum amount possible ..

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Little disappointed it won't work with my existing mechanical chime (without some hacking anyway) but glad teh see the picture quality was the best in day and at night.
seems to come with a chime, so i dont really see that being an issue.

quality looked good, POE, Onvif, and good price.

seems like a win win

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
seems to come with a chime, so i dont really see that being an issue.

quality looked good, POE, Onvif, and good price.

seems like a win win
Chime may require setup with the app and be wifi based?

Not a deal breaker, and can likely be solved with a relay and home assistant, but interesting to leave out. This will be my 3rd "smart" doorbell and the first one without the ability to have the mechanical chime work.