New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got my cable pulled and connected. It doesn't look like my old mechanical chime is working, so would like to see if future firmware would let the doorbell push turn into an ONVIF event. I am using BI with CodeProject AI for object/person detection. The FOV is different than my Lorex 2K, but I think after I tilt the unit down a bit, I will be overall happy with the coverage. I am pretty thrilled it is on a wired connection now as my previous Lorex 2k was at the end of my current WIFI coverage and would have a tendency to drop out more often than I liked.

Unboxing Photos: Reolink Video Doorbell POE

Got any questions?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got my cable pulled and connected. It doesn't look like my old mechanical chime is working, so would like to see if future firmware would let the doorbell push turn into an ONVIF event. I am using BI with CodeProject AI for object/person detection. The FOV is different than my Lorex 2K, but I think after I tilt the unit down a bit, I will be overall happy with the coverage. I am pretty thrilled it is on a wired connection now as my previous Lorex 2k was at the end of my current WIFI coverage and would have a tendency to drop out more often than I liked.

Unboxing Photos: Reolink Video Doorbell POE

Got any questions?
You’re fast! I’ve been procrastinating because pulling an Ethernet cable to my front door is a chore :)

Are you doing continuous recording in BI?

Are you using a substream from the doorbell?

Have you found the stream from the doorbell to be stable/reliable in BI?

Are you using the Reolink app for anything?

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You’re fast! I’ve been procrastinating because pulling an Ethernet cable to my front door is a chore :)

Are you doing continuous recording in BI?

Are you using a substream from the doorbell?

Have you found the stream from the doorbell to be stable/reliable in BI?

Are you using the Reolink app for anything?
Ha! I pulled a cable from my network rack and had it coiled below the doorbell in an unfinished room last week. Today I just had to convince my wife to grab the wire snake and then guide a cable up before terminating and getting the siding notched for the doorbell.

Answers:

Recording continuous + triggered.
record settings.jpg

Triggered by motion & CodeProject AI for person,car,truck,bus,bicycle,dog,cat,airplane,motorcycle
AI settings.jpg

Yes, using substream.
video settings.jpg

Seems to be stable, but I just reset the statistics and can report back tomorrow if there were any disconnects overnight.

I did setup the camera initially with the app but you really need to use the web interface to enable RTSP/ONVIF support. I suppose you could use the Reolink app for notifications if you want to keep the camera talking to the cloud. You don't need the app to link the doorbell chime either that I can see. You press and hold the setup button on the chime once you plug it in and the light turns on and it chimes 2x, then ring the doorbell on the camera 1x. It will link up after that.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok. Seeing more "No Signal" errors than my other cameras and in BI it is noticeably behind the other cameras when a car drives by (like 1-2 seconds behind). Hopefully these are all fixable by getting updated firmware that allows fixed frame rates and setting the iframe like the other Reolink cameras eventually got.

stats heading.jpgreolink_doorbell_stats.jpg

Some comparison photos:
Lorex 2K 8:45AM
Lorex2k_845AM.jpg
Reolink Doorbell POE 8:45AM
Reolink_845AM.jpg

Lorex 2K 12:48PM
Lorex2k_1248PM.jpg
Reolink Doorbell POE 12:48PM
Reolink_1248PM.jpg

Lorex 2k 5:08PM
Lorex2k_508PM.jpg
Reolink Doorbell POE 5:08PM
Reolink_508PM.jpg

It's possible some of these were in substream when I grabbed a snapshot, but you get the idea of how they compare. I am pretty happy with overall picture quality in most conditions, but I keep the front of my house pretty well-lit at all hours.

Attachments

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found that on my other reolinks if I disabled RTSP keep alives then it helped with the disconnects.

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do you disable RTSP keep alives? Are you saying that is an option in the Reolink firmware? Or in Blue Iris?
That’s in the camera setup in blue Iris. The screenshot you posted that says Send RTSP keep alive. I also enable ONVIF notifications and on the trigger tab enable camera digital input or motion alarm.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That’s in the camera setup in blue Iris. The screenshot you posted that says Send RTSP keep alive. I also enable ONVIF notifications and on the trigger tab enable camera digital input or motion alarm.
Thanks. I will give that a try. I reset my statistics, unchecked the RTSP keep alives and will report back later if the "No Signal" counter slows down.

I use BI and CodeProject AI for motion events, so don't really use in camera smarts at the moment.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. I will give that a try. I reset my statistics, unchecked the RTSP keep alives and will report back later if the "No Signal" counter slows down.

I use BI and CodeProject AI for motion events, so don't really use in camera smarts at the moment.
So far, I have zero "No Signal" counts overnight, but there was very limited motion detected (a few cars). I will monitor today and report back. Not sure if there are any negatives to not sending the RTSP keep alive??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So far, I have zero "No Signal" counts overnight, but there was very limited motion detected (a few cars). I will monitor today and report back. Not sure if there are any negatives to not sending the RTSP keep alive??
From help.
"RTSP “keep alives” are reply packets sent occasionally to the camera. Most cameras either
require them or tolerate them. In rare cases, these “break” the stream and will cause
continuous re-connects each 20-30 seconds."

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like this is better choice video door bell from the Hik NSC-DB2 that i have right now.
Poe/RTSP is a plus as the other one keeps dropping wifi here and there in BI.

cm.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, timing is just right for me, I have just finished setting up my cctv and was looking for a doorbell. Something with poe, integrates with BI, door chime, audio, not ugly…

custom exposure settings would be nice but not a deal beaker for the use case.

Now just waiting for availability.

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one of the reolink dome cameras at my front door currently while I wait for the doorbell to arrive, their P2P service is the fastest I have found in regards to alerts and always accurate with people. I know someone is at my door before they are 3 feet from the doorbell and it only has about 8-10 feet at most to identify and notify me of it before that. Pet detection is still in beta and I often have the dome send me a push telling me my wife is a person, then immediately afterwards says she is a pet. Blue Iris has thought she and my 4 year old daughter were a dog or a cat, so it may be catching the door swinging or may be the angle that the camera is at also.

watkipet

n3wb
Reaction score
their P2P service is the fastest I have found in regards to alerts and always accurate with people.
LOL! I didn't know what P2P meant in their literature. I thought it was some kind of SIP mode. I looked it up after reading your reply. I know little bit more now. :)
I've never used Blue Iris, but my NVR has talkback support. I think it needs a camera that supports SIP. I was wondering if anyone had tried the talkback functionality through their NVR or Blue Iris with this camera. Right now I have a front door camera that supports talkback, but I can only talk back to someone using the (ancient) iOS app that came with the camera--the talkback protocol seems to be proprietary and doesn't work with my NVR.