New Ring Alarm System 199

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FYI Costco is doing a preorder for members right now.

Costco Wholesale has for their Members: 10-Piece Ring Alarm Wireless Security Kit Pre-Order for $239.99. Shipping is free.

Note: Scheduled to ship on 7/13/18

Includes:
  • Base Station
  • Keypad
  • Range Extender
  • Motion Detector
  • 6 Contact Sensors

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone used this yet? I was considering it because nobody is going to monitor a home brew security system, that I know of.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone used this yet? I was considering it because nobody is going to monitor a home brew security system, that I know of.
I have been testing this for a week now... It operates as promised it is very easy to setup and use. If you prepay for the year it's $8.30 per month for cellular monitoring and full control from the app.... It is by far the best value in DIY wireless alarm systems. Is also important to note that the accessories like additional keypads motion detectors and sirens are very reasonably priced. If they ultimately add true Z-Wave integration that will just be icing on the cake.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been testing this for a week now... It operates as promised it is very easy to setup and use. If you prepay for the year it's $8.30 per month for cellular monitoring and full control from the app.... It is by far the best value in DIY wireless alarm systems. Is also important to note that the accessories like additional keypads motion detectors and sirens are very reasonably priced. If they ultimately add true Z-Wave integration that will just be icing on the cake.

Awesome, what all is in your setup, just the basics? I have to say, good endorsement from @fenderman is pretty awesome. I also echo your sentiments about the cameras, when I see them on tv, I think cool, lights, siren, motion detection all in the camera? But then I immediately remember that the ONE wireless camera I have which happens to have PIR on it, works pretty well, but I had to crank down the settings to make it work stable. Would it be better with gigabit wireless? I dunno, but I also doubt the cameras can match the video quality of the dahua starlights. So I don't plan on using any of their cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, what all is in your setup, just the basics? I have to say, good endorsement from @fenderman is pretty awesome. I also echo your sentiments about the cameras, when I see them on tv, I think cool, lights, siren, motion detection all in the camera? But then I immediately remember that the ONE wireless camera I have which happens to have PIR on it, works pretty well, but I had to crank down the settings to make it work stable. Would it be better with gigabit wireless? I dunno, but I also doubt the cameras can match the video quality of the dahua starlights. So I don't plan on using any of their cameras.
I have only tested with the basic 199 kit no additional parts... I particularly like the keypad because of the large buttons as well as the fact that it announces the status verbally. It can be powered by the included USB adapter or via the included rechargeable battery.
I would not use any of their cameras. I will note though that the $100 yearly monitoring fee would also include cloud storage for their doorbell or cameras.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you know if they offer an accessories with strobe light to alert of an alarm?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd recommend the whole thing to people who don't want to mess with DIY stuff, aren't real technical etc, I've met a lot of people who want cameras and pretty much shut down when I mention $170 for a camera lol they are perfectly happy with the quality of the kit cameras so the ring cameras would be fine for those people I think.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd recommend the whole thing to people who don't want to mess with DIY stuff, aren't real technical etc, I've met a lot of people who want cameras and pretty much shut down when I mention $170 for a camera lol they are perfectly happy with the quality of the kit cameras so the ring cameras would be fine for those people I think.
It's not 170 for a camera.. it's 100 bucks for a fixed Starlight camera... The ring cameras not any cheaper...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not 170 for a camera.. it's 100 bucks for a fixed Starlight camera... The ring cameras not any cheaper...
I personally don't even consider fixed cameras, even if you guess at what power you'll need you might be wrong, or if you want to move it later, f that, I want to be able to zoom in and out lol.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally don't even consider fixed cameras, even if you guess at what power you'll need you might be wrong, or if you want to move it later, f that, I want to be able to zoom in and out lol.
That may be the case but comparing the price of a varifocal to a fixed ring camera is improper.

motoolfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ring is releasing a new alarm system at a great price point. 199 gets you a base station, keypad and motion sensor and a range extender. It can be preordered on amazon, which owns ring.
https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Alarm-Home-Security-Kit/dp/B07D7Q6CHB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1529028910&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ring+alarm&psc=1

While Ring cameras and doorbells are crap, their alarm system is a great value considering its price and that CELLULAR based monitoring is only 10 dollars a month no contract or 100 per year. You will not find cellular monitoring at this price.

The additional accessories and sensors are very reasonably priced. I am surprised.
Security System

Yes, hardwired systems are best but nearly impossible to install properly after construction. Vista panels are nice and can support wireless sensors but still lots of work for most and you will still pay more for cellular monitoring and remote control of the system, wont be anywhere near 10 bux. This will be a game changer in the self install market. Competition like nest and abode should be worried.
Thanks for putting this info out there, wasn't aware ring even had a security system lol. I've just ordered the Costco kit.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does it offer self monitoring via internet?

svc

n3wb
Reaction score
Does it offer self monitoring via internet?
My understanding is that you can self-monitor via Internet for free. However, for $8.33 a month (if you pay $100 for the year in advance), you get 24/7 professional monitoring and cellular backup in case the Internet is down. It's definitely a game changer that's shaking up the home security industry. I pre-ordered a kit from Costco and I'm waiting for it to arrive next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: NVR

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been waiting for a solid self monitoring solution over internet for a long time, will try this out for sure.